***Day 2 -Committal Hearing*** 11th,12,13th March 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would really encourage anyone who is interested to get along to court - it was very informative for me - the whole process of seeing how it all goes down is very different to how I imagined. It was such an eye opener.

Lychee, this case has been the first I can ever remember observing, where the husband, the last to see the deceased, did almost all he could to make himself appear guilty.
I am still shocked by this behaviour, and intrigued by this case because that was what caught my attention in the first place.

Look at this list and see what you think-

-Husband calls 000 within an hour of noticing wife not back from a supposedly regular walking event

-husband has claw-like scratched, horrifically visible to everyone present

-husband calls wifes parents to say she has not returned- not to ask whether they had seen or heard from her

-husband fails to contact he best friend to see if she had any ideas.

-husband tells friend during the initial crisis that he would be a suspect

-husband engages not your run-of-the-mill lawyer, but a criminal lawyer

-husband refuses to provide a statement

-husbands family refuse to provide a statement

-husband gives conflicting reports of the walk

-husband and his family have nothing to do with the search and rescue operation, even going away during that period for a brief holiday.

Could they have made themselves look more suspicious if they'd tried? No-one made them act this way.
In fact, apart from GBC telling Kerry-Ann that he would be a suspect, the police continued saying very clearly that he was not. (I'm sure he was, but they didn't publish this at all). He was in fact a self-confessed suspect and that is all.

I dont know who is guilty of this murder, (as there was no suicide ), or how many were involved, but I have to ask, if Gerards parents did believe he was not involved in any way, then why would they not help try to find her? Surely they didn't hate her to the extent that they didn't care that she was missing? Why wouldn't they assist police?

Whether this is guilty behaviour or not, it makes one do a double take, and they have no-one but themselves to blame for the reaction this brought about in the media, the public and the police.

Of course, after all that was the calling the insurance companies to notify of an impending claim, before the body was confirmed as being Allison. What I'm saying is, his guilty behaviour didn't end in the first few days.

Did Bruce Flegg actually say what time it was when he heard the screams on 19 April? I can't seem to find a time from his evidence.

I wasn't at all suggesting it was corrupt or unethical, just an unfortunate "boo-boo" as my kids would say :)

Sorry Thinking, that comment was not aimed at you at all. I was just saying that as a general observation. I agree that it was an unfortunate boo boo. That is a good way to express it.

I do agree Aunty - but I just can't understand why NBC never made a statement?
I guess a reason could be, ???
He knew the truth , there wasn't a face time call.
He was probably told by police that the forensic evidence proves it. So confess maybe? Make a statement ? He lost trust in the whole process?
His son probably told him that they are framing me too Dad. Don't trust the police ? Stay away from them ?
He probably weighed it up and was scared S***less that he was going to be framed too?
I don't know, .... I just know that it would have been alarming and very distressing to have this forensic evidence against you and know it wasn't true.
I would want to hide. Just wait for the knock and handcuffs I suppose.
And thats pretty much what he has done.
I'm not saying anything about his innocence or his actions . I am just answering your question as to why he didn't make a statement about the FaceTime call.

It was apparently mentioned at the second bail hearing in the affidavit which some have purchased.

It wasn't mentioned in MSM, there were no links to support it...hence, discussions about it were not allowed.

The FaceTime call did appear in the courier mail but only in the print edition. To my knowledge it wasnt anywhere else. Even then it was very minor mention.

Eta - I found the article awhile back. I couldn't scan and post as we were moving house at the time. I did type out the text for it with a ref to the article title, author, page and publication date. That was the best I could do at the time!

Sorry, I know the above is all common knowledge, and I know you know it too, but my point was that the police and media can hardly be blamed for for being "interested" or even "over-zealous" (in your view) when presented with this.

Fro what I observed, the police operated a command post and appealed to the public extensively for any information that could assist, and if all that brought was what they have ended up with, then they had to pursue that line.
It certainly seems they have some very good points, but also some light on points to support their case, but at the end of the day, it was all they had, and it may well be all that the murderer left behind.
We all need to keep open minds, and see what happens.

WS allows all members to voice their opinions as long as they are within our rules as outlined in the following link.....

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65798"]Rules Etiquette & Information - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

What we DON'T tolerate are members who are here simply to bash police or to antagonize other members.

Sorry Thinking, that comment was not aimed at you at all. I was just saying that as a general observation. I agree that it was an unfortunate boo boo. That is a good way to express it.

Lol, all good Ali :) it is often a very apt expression!

Thanks all for the updates today. SM and Snails or others can you provide an online link to the news about today?

To Lychee, my news is not a sound byte.

Special thanks also today to Ali and Doc.

Finders, click on the Media/Timeline link on this message and you'll find the updates there on the last page.

I have tried to put my comments in bold, italic and underline. Hope that it worked!

Lychee, this case has been the first I can ever remember observing, where the husband, the last to see the deceased, did almost all he could to make himself appear guilty.
I am still shocked by this behaviour, and intrigued by this case because that was what caught my attention in the first place.

Look at this list and see what you think-

-Husband calls 000 within an hour of noticing wife not back from a supposedly regular walking event
But you see in the context of marriage difficulties, anger, depression etc, if there arguments that week he would clearly have a heightened sense of what she might do. Clearly from the evidence today her depression was more serious that many on this forum thought.

-husband has claw-like scratched, horrifically visible to everyone present
Don't know about this to comment???

-husband calls wifes parents to say she has not returned- not to ask whether they had seen or heard from her
Again playing "devil's advocate" he wouldn't have been thinking straight

-husband fails to contact he best friend to see if she had any ideas.
That is the best friend that hadn't physically seen Allison since 3 February!

-husband tells friend during the initial crisis that he would be a suspect
Even this legal ignoramus knows that the closest relative is always the prime suspect in these situations

-husband engages not your run-of-the-mill lawyer, but a criminal lawyer
The police have made it very clear that they had early suspicions and this seemed to be clearly communicated to him. I would do the same. Let's face it I have no idea of my rights were I confronted with that situation. That doesn't prove guilt!
-husband refuses to provide a statement
Don't know

-husbands family refuse to provide a statement
As I said previously I'm not confident given the Facetime fiasco that the facts have been established on that one

-husband gives conflicting reports of the walk
Seems to be his word against a report of somone else of his word. What if the witness did get confused?

-husband and his family have nothing to do with the search and rescue operation, even going away during that period for a brief holiday.
My understanding is that in these situations of a large search the police and SES etc don't want amateurs helping. Maybe they offered. I believe the weekend away was after her body was found.

Could they have made themselves look more suspicious if they'd tried? No-one made them act this way.
In fact, apart from GBC telling Kerry-Ann that he would be a suspect, the police continued saying very clearly that he was not. (I'm sure he was, but they didn't publish this at all). He was in fact a self-confessed suspect and that is all.

I dont know who is guilty of this murder, (as there was no suicide ), or how many were involved, but I have to ask, if Gerards parents did believe he was not involved in any way, then why would they not help try to find her? Surely they didn't hate her to the extent that they didn't care that she was missing? Why wouldn't they assist police?

Whether this is guilty behaviour or not, it makes one do a double take, and they have no-one but themselves to blame for the reaction this brought about in the media, the public and the police.

Of course, after all that was the calling the insurance companies to notify of an impending claim, before the body was confirmed as being Allison. What I'm saying is, his guilty behaviour didn't end in the first few days.

It is beyond me how someone could hear 2 bloodcurdling screams that affected them significantly but then say they were not of concern. Makes no sense to me!

I agree, I was sitting in the court yesterday when various people described short sharp or alarming human noises. Not one went to investigate or calll the police which gives the impression they may not have been THAT alarming at the time.

I have tried to put my comments in bold, italic and underline. Hope that it worked!

Sorry Lychee, I appreciate your comments, but for me, there are too many that dont recognise what was there. I think you are stretching the "benefit of the doubt" way too far.
Sorry to disagree without backing up but if you look back at your highlighted points you wil see what I mean, I think.

Just my opinion on this. You're entitled to yours.

And, absolutely, looking guilty doesn't mean you are, but it doesn't help. You cant blame everyone else for their reaction to this. Hopefully the truth will prevail anyhow.

Alioop, I worked today, and tried to keep up, but... not sure i did. I saw the question posted asking is there a witness list available, but I didn't see the answer. I hope I'm not asking you something that was answered previously.

Flinders try again, it worked for me

That's good to hear! It worked for me too and then thought maybe you have to be logged into Twitter to access it. I have a twitter account, but have never actually "tweeted" anything. Funny hey :)

Apologies in advance as this question most probably isnt in the correct place. If there is something reported in the newspaper are we allowed to scan or photograph the article and post that here ?
Thank you to whoever said that the disproven FaceTime call was in the print Courier Mail. I knew I had seen it in media somewhere and it was driving me crazy trying to find it.

For those who have been to the courtroom is it easy to find the public seating area ?

Alioop, I worked today, and tried to keep up, but... not sure i did. I saw the question posted asking is there a witness list available, but I didn't see the answer. I hope I'm not asking you something that was answered previously.

Hi Obby, the media seem to have one but I am not sure where they got it from. I haven't seen any list. Perhaps someone attending tomorrow could ask one of the media people about the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JR Rainwater