GUILTY GA - Antonio Santiago, 13 mos, Brunswick, 21 March 2013 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
QueenD, could I get a link to that info about the aunt and if it is not from MSM perhaps a breadcrumb or two to where this came from?

[ETA tia]

If this is true, I feel for the aunt. What an awful position to be in. :(

Listen to the audio, obviously it is after the arrest.

Not only was a baby shot in the face and killed but THEIR COMMUNITY AND TWO CHILDREN (THE PERPS) ARE IN MOURNING! It has been a rough time for them and their community.

Apparently the two suspects are in mourning, no doubt due to the fact they were arrested.

b b m
That's how I see it too. I have nothing more than a gut feeling that the suspects feel guilty for being caught....not for what they've done. IMOO

"Listen to me!" the operator said to the weeping woman. "We have people en route.

Did you hear shots in the area?"

Yes, she heard shots, she said.

"Be calm," the operator said. "How many shots did you hear?"

"I heard like three shots. And the baby has been shot in the head," the woman said.
The woman was so distraught that she passed her cell phone to a man walking his dog.

"No, the baby is not breathing," the man told the operator.

"The baby was shot in the head?" the operator continued.

"Yes, right between the eyes," the man said, who added he earlier heard a "small caliber clap."

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/23/us/georgia-baby-killed/index.html

Interesting...although she lost a child there also so I can't imagine it's a happy place for her.

No, she said in the uncut interview (link below) that it wasn't a happy place--that she moved 1000 miles away to "get away from another situation where people weren't treating her well." She's lived in Georgia about 6-7 years according to her landlord, so it seems she wasn't in NJ at the time of her first son's death in 2008. But I'm sure the associations can't be pleasant, still.

http://www.news4jax.com/UNCUT-Sherr...oting/-/475982/19429652/-/gww0u0/-/index.html

Katrina Freeman, Elkins' aunt, said Saturday that he couldn't be the killer because the two were together at the time of the shooting.

Freeman said Elkins dropped by her home about 8:15 a.m. — roughly an hour before the shooting — and she cooked them grits, eggs and sausage for breakfast.

They stayed at her home until about 11 a.m., Freeman said, and then Elkins accompanied her and her children on some errands for about an hour. After noon, he left for classes he is taking to earn his GED, she said.

"He was with us the whole time," said Freeman, adding that she gave police the same account of her nephew's whereabouts. "There is no doubt in my mind that he is innocent."

Brunswick police have said little about what evidence led them to Elkins or the younger suspect. Police spokesman Todd Rhodes said Saturday that he is not surprised Elkins' aunt would try to protect him.

"That's what she's saying, but the evidence we're looking at says something else," Rhodes said. He would not elaborate. He said investigators still can't say what motivated the shootings.

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...GE&fp=c744165a68f135a3&ion=1&biw=1111&bih=607

This does not sound like all LE is going on is mom's photo lineup MOO

A couple of thoughts I've had about this horrifying case:

--it wouldn't take too much marksmanship to hold a pistol a few feet away from a baby and shoot it in the face.
--I do not have any confirmation of this theory, but I imagine at such a close range a bullet could have gone through the baby and into the mother's leg.

I realize those are terrible thoughts, but for the above reasons I am not getting a 'hinky' vibe from either the statement that the baby was shot between the eyes or that the mother was shot in the leg. I will wait for LE to give out more info, but in the meantime I am thinking that even a hardened might be a little rattled after shooting a baby in the face and subsequent shot(s) might go a little wild. IMO, MOO, etc.

I'm just glad there HAVE been arrests.

I am, too. That baby deserves justice if anyone does.

That sometimes happens--one bullet hurting two people. But in several accounts the mom herself says she was shot in the leg before they "circled around" and shot her baby in the stroller--so in this instance, I'm thinking they were probably two separate shots. Circling around also implies they weren't lined up, exactly. (It's also said 4 were fired at her 1st, and the last one at the baby.) I can round up some article links if you need them.

"Listen to me!" the operator said to the weeping woman. "We have people en route.

Did you hear shots in the area?"

Yes, she heard shots, she said.

"Be calm," the operator said. "How many shots did you hear?"

"I heard like three shots. And the baby has been shot in the head," the woman said.
The woman was so distraught that she passed her cell phone to a man walking his dog.

"No, the baby is not breathing," the man told the operator.

"The baby was shot in the head?" the operator continued.

"Yes, right between the eyes," the man said, who added he earlier heard a "small caliber clap."

Did they only hear shots? Did the neighbors hear anyone screaming after the shots?

Did they only hear shots? Did anyone hear anyone screaming after the shots?

In one of the articles, I don't know which one off the top of my head, they talk about hearing wailing in the background on the 911 call.

ETA: Oh, it was the same article...
"In the background is public wailing on the corner of London and Ellis Streets, in a stately cluster of Victorian-style houses with wrap-around porches."

no one has specifically described screaming in any media interviews but in 911 calls they describe mom taking child from stroller, laying him on the ground and attempting mouth to mouth on Antonio.

I can't even imagine the horror.

No one who has been interviewed that I have seen described screaming right after the shots, but to my knowledge, none of the neighbors/witnesses have been asked that question.

The 911 operator did not ask about screams only gunshots.

There is another aunt who drove him somewhere about 2 hours after this happen. Said he was acting strange, hovered down in seat, she ask him if he even had anything to do with killing the baby. She said he got out of car and she seen something in his pants, she knew was a gun.

She called LE, and now is getting death threats.

Did anyone find the article stating that De'Marquise's "other aunt" (not KF) took him someplace, thought he was acting odd, and called the police? Where did you find that info? tia

So lets see, DE's mom has given him an alibi saying she is 100% sure he was at her house.

an aunt has given him an alibi stating he was with her and her kids all morning eating breakfast and running errands.

DE himself has apparently claimed he was at school.

Wow, this kid sure does seem to have an overabundance of disparate alibis.

:rolleyes:

Did anyone find the article stating that De'Marquise's "other aunt" (not KF) took him someplace, thought he was acting odd, and called the police? tia

nope, not yet but I am hoping QueenD will get back online and elaborate because this was news to me as well.

:twocents: IMOO that is a little soon. BUT I dont know what is proper when a child is murdered.

My babies are now in their 20s, and I still have too many of their baby clothes. But hey, I also have many of their baby teeth and locks of hair from early haircuts. I'm guessing that's pretty weird the other direction. ;)

From what I've experienced, people mourning close family members (children, wives, husbands) often part with their clothing at the end stages of grief. But it varies, I suppose. Especially if you're packing up and moving suddenly out of town--you either pack it or donate it.

So lets see, DE's mom has given him an alibi saying she is 100% sure he was at her house.

an aunt has given him an alibi stating he was with her and her kids all morning eating breakfast and running errands.

DE himself has apparently claimed he was at school.

Wow, this kid sure does seem to have an overabundance of disparate alibis.

:rolleyes:
Where can I read about DE saying he was at school studying for his GED all morning? tia

Here is the aunt's info.
Police announced the arrests of Elkins and the 14-year-old Friday afternoon. But Katrina Freeman, Elkins' aunt, said Saturday that he couldn't be the killer because the two were together at the time of the shooting.
Freeman said Elkins dropped by her home about 8:15 a.m. — roughly an hour before the shooting — and she cooked them grits, eggs and sausage for breakfast.
They stayed at her home until about 11 a.m., Freeman said, and then Elkins accompanied her and her children on some errands for about an hour. After noon, he left for classes he's taking to earn his GED, she said.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/03/23/911-callers-baby-shot/2013113/

no one has specifically described screaming in any media interviews but in 911 calls they describe mom taking child from stroller, laying him on the ground and attempting mouth to mouth on Antonio.

I can't even imagine the horror.

No one who has been interviewed that I have seen described screaming right after the shot, but to my knowledge, none of the neighbors/witnesses have been asked that question.

The 911 operator did not ask about screams only gunshots.

This article is one I've read that mentions the 911 operator hearing "wailing" in the background but not questioning about it (about 4-5" up from bottom of article); also has her questioning an unknown woman and man before the police arrived about the # of gunshots, if the baby was breathing, etc.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/23/us/georgia-baby-killed

My post about the 911 call was meant to clear up how many shots were described by callers but it ended up only causing more confusion I guess. It prompted a question about whether screams were said to have been heard directly after those shots. I am only assuming the question referred to the mother and whether she was screaming directly after those shots rang out.

And I have seen no one say there were or there weren't. It is my thought that probably no one was asked that by either the 911 operator (because it wasn't pertinent to accomplishing the job of getting help there) or by media but I am sure LE have a much better idea than we as to exactly what and when witnesses heard and saw whatever they heard and saw.

thank you for that link 2door74chevy, for that link to the memorial. A must watch. The community is shaken and heartbroken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni