Identified! OR - Cave Junction, 'Annie Doe' WhtFem UP10929, 16-20, Redwood Hwy, Aug'71 - Annie Lehman

I was going to post Christine Eastin as a possibility, but couldn't get past the clothing on the UID and what Christine wad wearing when last seen

Clothing can be changed. Jewellery can be taken off and put on..

There's no definitive proof that if this was a missing person, that she died the moment she went missing.

I keep coming back to Christine again and again- but Christine's circumstances just don't seem to jive with this Doe. Christine was taken from a car wash. By all accounts she was successful and had a boyfriend and loving family IIRC. So to be this Doe she probably would have had to run away and have the chance to change clothes. Could happen but it just doesn't seem likely.

deca articulated my reservations exactly - seems like there was no reason for Christine to be wearing these clothes...I'm thinking we should widen the search to girls from other parts of the country...maybe she was a runaway, and got clothes from Goodwill or Salvation Army??

Hello Emmali,

I checked our database and this has already been submitted.

Thank you,
Best Regards,
Rocky Wells

Went to the library and looked through the newspapers archived on microfilm for August 1971 (The Mail Tribune which is the closest major paper in the area where this Doe was found). I didn't find anything referencing this Doe- but I was only looking at the first few pages of each day. I thought for sure it would be "front page" news, but maybe it was further back or not reported on until September.

In any case, looking through those papers a few things stood out to me.
1. Shakespeare festival, a summer long festival that attracts people from all over to act in/watch the plays were going on. This is a large attraction here.

2. The Britt Festival- a smaller weeks long festival of musical groups was also going on.

3. There were at least 3 articles written during these weeks regarding young people that had no where to stay because campgounds/hotels were booked up. Also, a few articles about how the area was filling up with runaways.

Annie has been added in NamUs. She is UP10929. Under "circumstances" you will see a link to another web site which is being built by an AWESOME lady in Austrilia! Copy and paste that. She is highlighting the jewelery for me/us. Lets find Annie's home!

I believe that the MOP with AL scratched into it is KEY, maybe THE KEY. To de-face a ring in this way is highly unusual. Are those her initials, as she new things were going south? Possibly the killers?

That pink and black or gray houndstooth and buckle shoes were very popular in the late 60's and early 70's. The style is "mod." Pre-hippie. I used to have an outfit very similar to this, except my houndstooth was green. Even the zip-up-the-back turtleneck.

Here are some links that show jackets that are in the ballpark:

il_fullxfull.388308368_g6bs.jpeg
RL-poppy893.1M.jpg
images

And here are the general style of shoes:
il_170x135.440787705_j511.jpg

I believe that the MOP with AL scratched into it is KEY, maybe THE KEY. To de-face a ring in this way is highly unusual. Are those her initials, as she new things were going south? Possibly the killers?

My thought was it was either the initials of a boyfriends name, or his name was Al. Or Hz,er initials, or her nickname. Maybe short for Allison. But I think it referred to a guy.

That pink and black or gray houndstooth and buckle shoes were very popular in the late 60's and early 70's. The style is "mod." Pre-hippie. I used to have an outfit very similar to this, except my houndstooth was green. Even the zip-up-the-back turtleneck.

Here are some links that show jackets that are in the ballpark:

il_fullxfull.388308368_g6bs.jpeg
RL-poppy893.1M.jpg
images

And here are the general style of shoes:
il_170x135.440787705_j511.jpg

Those shoes were considered quite mod when worn with tights or fishnets. The coat looks east coast, spring coat, bobbie brooksish.

Do we know if the highlights were natural or "frosted". That was big back then and can help determine age. No young girl did that, it was only older girls.

Do we know if the highlights were natural or "frosted". That was big back then and can help determine age. No young girl did that, it was only older girls.

Namus says "Auburn with dyed blonde streaks." https://identifyus.org/en/cases/10929

Young girls didn't frost their hair back then. Annie must be at least in her later teens. But the initials on the ring are something more a young teen would do. Hmmmm.
Red hair. Why am I thinking Boston or Rhode Island Irish? The coat and shoes seem east coast spring fashion for that era. Do we have lables on that coat? Or brand of shoe? Might help narrow down region of .purchase. there was a knife found close by but no mention of blood on the clothes? They do have DNA samples which is great.

Young girls didn't frost their hair back then. Annie must be at least in her later teens. But the initials on the ring are something more a young teen would do. Hmmmm.
Red hair. Why am I thinking Boston or Rhode Island Irish? The coat and shoes seem east coast spring fashion for that era. Do we have lables on that coat? Or brand of shoe? Might help narrow down region of .purchase. there was a knife found close by but no mention of blood on the clothes? They do have DNA samples which is great.

Jeans were Wrangler, shoes were Primstyle (is that a JC Penney brand?), but no brand on the coat.

I agree with you about it looking like a spring coat. The kind my grandmother used to call a "car coat."

I also agree about the frosting. I was graduating from high school in Montana in 1971 and I don't remember anybody frosting their hair -- no, wait, I take that back, a couple of the cheerleaders did. It was a VERY trendy thing to do.

I wonder if they're sure about the hair style, or if that's an approximation. I would have expected a shorter style -- something teased and flipped.

Here's a possibility. Cindy Lee Mellin went missing in California in January 1970: http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/869dfca.html

She's 5'4" (within 2") and 105 lbs (below estimate), with brown hair that is clearly frosted in the photo. I can't tell whether it has a reddish tinge.

She's described as wearing similar style clothing: " navy blue dress with red buttons, a brown corduroy coat and blue shoes with gold buckles. She was also wearing a gold ring with a single pearl."Thoughts?

Attachments

• Cindy Mellin 1970 Ventura CA.jpg
    Cindy Mellin 1970 Ventura CA.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 404UFOR 1971.jpg
    404UFOR 1971.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 65
Here's a possibility. Cindy Lee Mellin went missing in California in January 1970: http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/869dfca.html

She's 5'4" (within 2") and 105 lbs (below estimate), with brown hair that is clearly frosted in the photo. I can't tell whether it has a reddish tinge.

She's described as wearing similar style clothing: " navy blue dress with red buttons, a brown corduroy coat and blue shoes with gold buckles. She was also wearing a gold ring with a single pearl."Thoughts?

I'm thinking Cindy had a while pearl solitaire style vs mother of pearl the Doe had. The map suggests a tourist. Was she brought there specifically to dispose of, or was this a crime of opportunity? The red hair and that ring. We can find this one.
I'm thinking tourist, traveling student. The initials in the ring is a juvenile act. That doesn't compute.

I googled the shoes they are a Woolworth brand. I will see if I can find a vintage catalog online and see if the coat is in the catalog as well .

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back