GUILTY GA - Antonio Santiago, 13 mos, Brunswick, 21 March 2013 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
respectfully snipped

Exactly. Unless there are alarms or armed guards, gated communities with operating gates are really only inaccessible to cars... and even that depends on how the gate works.

A person on foot can circumvent most passive security at gated communities with very little effort.

what about gated subdivisions?
"A gun recovered Tuesday was found in a pond in a gated subdivision behind Brunswick Floors on U.S. Highway 17,..... "
http://www.news4jax.com/news/Police...andom/-/475880/19490264/-/c73j3z/-/index.html

or does subdivision and community mean the same thing out there in GA?

EDIT after looking at the map pim attached, its clear that this is an apartment complex and not what i would describe as a subdivision. i apologize.

JeannaT - thanks for the address! Here's the Google map (A = the apartment complex), and I'm guessing the saltwater pond is that long snake-shaped, muddy-looking body of water behind the apartments and to the right of the trees. (Ocean is east of map).

No wonder it took 5-1/2 hours with a metal-detector to find that gun.

pondbehindapts_zps3c430947.png

(I've put the map in the timeline.)

well i'll be. it is an apartment complex and not a subdivision at all.

what about gated subdivisions?
"A gun recovered Tuesday was found in a pond in a gated subdivision behind Brunswick Floors on U.S. Highway 17,..... "
http://www.news4jax.com/news/Police...andom/-/475880/19490264/-/c73j3z/-/index.html

or does subdivision and community mean the same thing out there in GA?

EDIT after looking at the map pim attached, its clear that this is an apartment complex and not what i would describe as a subdivision. i apologize.

Shoddy reporting; no apology needed! ;)

this whole thread makes me second guess why i ever visit WS. I too have been through the gamut of scenarios/emotions with this case but have refrained from posting until more information was known. but how all of this is going down really concerns me to the core. is this what we are about? justice is why i come here. (sigh)

I was involved last year on the Websleuth's thread about the murder of Rusty Sneiderman. The boss of Rusty's widow was charged with his murder and he was on trial. During the trial, MANY Of us speculated and accused the widow of being involved. Websleuth's allowed this discussion even though police had not named her a suspect. The boss, Hemy Neuman, was convicted and 4 months after the trial, the widow was arrested as a co-conspirator.

In that case we accused the victim, poked holes in her story, discussed her ODD reaction and lack of tears when describing her husband's death and Websleuths never stopped it. I'm not sure how this situation is different.

Just my two cents based on posts made previously in this community.

Or, just with over-medication in general. I've been on an anti-drepressant for over a decade (low dosage) and don't have problems with affect - just ask my hubby. ;D

Also, with this illness she's likely on anti-psychotic meds which are stronger stuff and could cause this. And, the illness itself causes facial affect that doesn't match emotions.

I think both are possibilities.

While your medication didn't have that effect on you, mine did. And I took the lowest dosage of Celexa they make.

grand jury indictment.

The 11 counts returned Wednesday against De'Marquise Elkins include malice murder in the slaying of 13-month-old Antonio Santiago. The indictment says Elkins shot the boy in the face with a .22-caliber revolver while trying to rob the child's mother in coastal Brunswick last Thursday.

The indictment charges 15-year-old Dominique Lang on seven counts including felony murder. Elkins' mother, 36-year-old Karimah Elkins, and sister, Sabrina Elkins, were charged with trying to dispose of the gun in a saltwater pond.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/Teens-...ting/-/475880/19490264/-/bi8nwuz/-/index.html

so this <modsnip> tried to rob someone a few weeks ago w/ the same gun, and mom and aunt tried to get rid of the gun. un freaking believable.

grand jury indictment.

The 11 counts returned Wednesday against De'Marquise Elkins include malice murder in the slaying of 13-month-old Antonio Santiago. The indictment says Elkins shot the boy in the face with a .22-caliber revolver while trying to rob the child's mother in coastal Brunswick last Thursday.

The indictment charges 15-year-old Dominique Lang on seven counts including felony murder. Elkins' mother, 36-year-old Karimah Elkins, and sister, Sabrina Elkins, were charged with trying to dispose of the gun in a saltwater pond.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/Teens-...ting/-/475880/19490264/-/bi8nwuz/-/index.html

Also in this article:

"Doring also explained at this point of the investigation the crime is leaning towards being gang related. However Doring said he would not discuss the relationship between the two suspects, 17-year-old, De'Marquise Elkins and a 15-year-old."

I AM SO SORRY I GOOFED....The statement above from Doring is in This article.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/topstories/article/305944/483/Police-Shooting-of-Brunswick-baby-random

police chief. "mother never a suspect in my mind"

"Doering still refused to answer the key question, whether West and the suspects know each other, saying it would harm the investigation. He would not say how long the suspects have known each other.

Doering closed the news conference saying, "A truth will come to light at the proper time, just not now."
http://www.news4jax.com/news/Police-...z/-/index.html

[Doering] said more search warrants have been served, more physical evidence has been recovered, and more witnesses have been identified, but gave no specifics about any of those.

Doering said there are likely even more witnesses who haven't come forward, and investigators will be looking for them.
http://www.news4jax.com/news/Police-...z/-/index.html

Karimah Elkins and her daughter Sabrina Elkins are charged with tampering with evidence by throwing the revolver used in the shooting into a saltwater pond.

Read more at Jacksonville.com: http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/...er-charges-babys-shooting-death#ixzz2OmLaN5nG

Also note the last paragraph og this article, makes one think witnesses are being threatened.

We haven't heard anything about this Sabrina or was she the sister who said DE has a heart?

BBM-I make a formal motion that we go by this statement from police chief that we no longer discuss any further theories of the victim's involvement in the case until any further information becomes available. Do I hear a 2nd???

[BBM]

If you're looking for votes, mine would be that we continue to keep an open mind in all directions and not make any firm conclusions yet, since it appears the police chief still is doing that. This is a victim-friendly forum and I personally think people here have been respecting that, even while exploring the many confusing aspects of this case. When they haven't, our faithful mods have stepped in. ;)

Theories about the mother perhaps being known to the boys or her being targeted for some reason would seem to be very much open to interpretation based on LE comments, which are cryptic and seem contradictory.

As far as motions, if making one and having it 2nd would result in it ending thinly veiled unflattering speculation or implications about the parents I would be the first to jump on board. Unfortunately, our mods have again and again laid down the law on this, and it still doesn't prevent a post now and again from appearing on thread which seems to bash or skate very close to it.

Thankfully, as PIM points out, those are addressed swiftly by our mods. Carrying a motion is not going to stop those who wish to disregard mod directives. The alert button is the more effective method of keeping that to a minimum IMO.

The chief left it pretty open, and refused to say how long the suspects knew the mother, and a truth will be revealed later in the proper time. It's not at all clear that this wasn't targeted, or in retaliation for something.

I agree with PIO that the discussion should remain open, as the investigation is still open and they're not discussing the answer to the question of did they know each other.

It wasn't asked "how long the suspects knew the mother" but IF the suspects knew the mother.
He said an answer to IF the suspects knew the mother would harm the investigation.
I'm leaning toward this being a random robbery attempt that went bad.I do wonder about family of the suspects having more involvement than possible gun disposal.
It is also possible that members of the suspects family know of the victim.
It seems curious to me how fast the suspects made their way to a vehicle as one was said to have been seen ducking down while in a car riding past the crime scene.
I never viewed Sherry as having any guilt in the matter.I also didn't view her reactions as strange.I think she is struggling to hold it together and may have been in denial (veering off in other direction/subjects) in her earlier interviews.
When it hits,it will hit her hard,if it hasn't already.I hope she has some support in place.

IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member