GUILTY GA - Antonio Santiago, 13 mos, Brunswick, 21 March 2013 - #3

The Block Party seems the same as "National Night Out" that we do here and lots of communities do. Everybody brings lawn chairs and a covered dish, or the neighborhood gets pizza and sometimes one of those bouncy room inflatables for the kids and popsicles and you get to know each other. I think it's a great idea.

The Block Party seems the same as "National Night Out" that we do here and lots of communities do. Everybody brings lawn chairs and a covered dish, or the neighborhood gets pizza and sometimes one of those bouncy room inflatables for the kids and popsicles and you get to know each other. I think it's a great idea.

We've participated in these, too. Great fun, and great for getting to know your neighbors. I just think the timing of this one is interesting as well.

Alex “A.J.” Robinson, the department’s recruiting officer from August 2010 to August 2011, testified that Brooks instructed him to send all unqualified applicants to see him.
“I told him first and foremost, I’d have to contact the chief,’’ Robinson said. “He said, ‘The chief works for me. I don’t work for her.’ ’’

He described Brooks as very powerful and said that Brooks once told him, “Just shut the hell up. Just send them to me,’’ when he said that some applicants’ criminal history made them ineligible to be police officers.

snip

Jackie Johnson told the court earlier Brooks wore a gun and badge of some sort when he showed up during police calls. Brooks’ wife testified in his bail hearing two weeks ago that he owned a gun, and Georgia Bureau of Investigation agents found one when they searched Brooks’ house after his arrest.

Officers complained about Brooks having the radio and about his interference when they responded to calls, especially one at a public housing complex where his granddaughter was lived, Johnson said.

The ultimate decision on hiring and firing lay with Harris, and all she and any commissioner could do was make recommendations, the former chief said.

GBI Special Agent Larry Kelly testified that he began investigating Brooks in April after Mayor Bryan Thompson and Police Chief Tobe Green told him of Knight’s contention he had paid Brooks $300 to “seal his record and get him a job with Brunswick.”

Read more at Jacksonville.com: http://jacksonville.com/news/georgi...ner-still-jailed-bribery-charge#ixzz2OwUc4Ih0

I am not liking what I am reading here. Does anyone else wonder if Mr. Brooks was stacking the force with criminals loyal to him? And he had some sort of badge he would wear and show up at crime scenes??? To do what, interfere with witnesses? And he insisted he be issued a police radio, for what reason, so he could know when police calls were occurring?

I got a real bad feeling that this is gonna end up being huge.

At least two that he took money from ($300 and $700) didn't get jobs on the force,but who knows if there were more that did?
He didn't have the power to hire,but may have been using pressure of his office to get others to hire people that were previously turned away due to their background.
I'm wondering since two came forward that he took money from but were not hired if that was the scam for him to profit in and of itself.
Maybe he took the money and made no effort to try and sway anyone to hire them.
This is a guy that used anothers name to rack up two thousand on a credit card.
What troubles me the most is his interference with police calls,and I wonder who is the granddaughter.
No doubt low level (street) cops were bowing to his wishes.
IMO

I think the block party is not a good idea right now-tempers are still very high with this case!

I am not familiar with that case Hickory, but I would think a lot of things in the area might be getting a second look in light of all of this business.
Ok - now I've seen and read enough.

Time for the Feds to come to lil ole Brunswick, GA. Hopefully SOMEONE in that town has the gumption and the authority to get a hold of the local FBI office or the Georiga State Police and get to the bottom of all of this. If not, then I say - get a hold of CNN or FOX or one of the big MSM's and demand they look into it!!!!

JMHO

I think the block party is not a good idea right now-tempers are still very high with this case!

I wonder if tempers were hotter before it became obvious that the two charged are guilty.

At first, I think there was a lot of outrage because it didn't seem clear these boys were the ones who did the shooting - it looked like maybe they'd been charged hastily with very little supportive evidence.

Now, it seems pretty clear. Do you sense that emotions are still rising or is the tension kind of getting dispelled? I think in the deep south there IS a feeling among Black people (rightly so) that the justice system has a long history of not working in their favor. In this case, though, it seems pretty clearly obvious they're guilty.

I know I shouldn't read to much into the FB pgs,but the things I've read the past couple of days are disheartening and some sound very dangerous..The block party just could have waited a little longer in MO.

I do hope law enforcement re-visits the Tom Sublett murder case. Tom Sublett was a Glynn County "Commissioner" who died from a gunshot wound in Dec. 2012. Circumstances were VERY strange!

Interesting.

IMO

I know I shouldn't read to much into the FB pgs,but the things I've read the past couple of days are disheartening and some sound very dangerous..The block party just could have waited a little longer in MO.

It's a nice concept but I'll admit I have safety concerns as well.

IMO

http://www.fox30jax.com/mostpopular...or-information-in/xHk40f5cxk6aT-ZC2tPu3g.cspx

Police offer $25,000 reward for information in Glynn County Commissioner's death

The autopsy report on Commissioner Tom Sublett shows he had his hands bound in front of him and a gun shot wound to the head.

http://www.actionnewsjax.com/conten...ioner-Tom-Sublett/tw5MHqMleUm1Aot9P5TV1w.cspx

The medical examiner for the Georgia Bureau of Investigation shared the findings with Sublett's family, saying his death is consistent to a suicide.

I have avoided the FB pages so I do not know the tone in recent days or if things have calmed.

I also think a lot of what happens on FB is people who are not in the immediate area of Brunswick and its a lot of posturing and trolling by people with various hate agendas trying to use this case to further theirs.

I think these residents need to take to the streets now, while all the world is looking. If they are too frightened to do so with the eyes of the nation on them what will it be like once the spotlight fades and moves on?

Will people just give up, lock their doors, fear going to the grocery store?

I wonder if tempers were hotter before it became obvious that the two charged are guilty.

At first, I think there was a lot of outrage because it didn't seem clear these boys were the ones who did the shooting - it looked like maybe they'd been charged hastily with very little supportive evidence.

Now, it seems pretty clear. Do you sense that emotions are still rising or is it the tension kind of getting dispelled? I think in the deep south there IS a feeling among Black people (rightly so) that the justice system has a long history of not working in their favor. In this case, though, it seems pretty clearly obvious they're guilty.

Check out The Brunswick News Facebook page TODAY. Tension among residents are still high.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Brunswick-News/125074560851285?ref=ts&fref=ts

I have avoided the FB pages so I do not know the tone in recent days or if things have calmed.

I also think a lot of what happens on FB is people who are not in the immediate area of Brunswick and its a lot of posturing and trolling by people with various hate agendas trying to use this case to further theirs.

I think these residents need to take to the streets now, while all the world is looking. If they are too frightened to do so with the eyes of the nation on them what will it be like once the spotlight fades and moves on?

Good points. My concern is of always having that one person or group that needs to make a statement by firing off a gun.
Especially as we really don't know if DE and DL were involved in any gang activity.
I do agree that they need to take back their block,and hope that all will go well and it will provide the residents with some peace.

IMO

so I guess my question is if all these shenanigans have been going on with commissioner Brooks for so long, why is he still a commissioner?
His term will expire this year. He still holds his office as he hasn't yet been convicted of the charges against him. Since last year he is not allowed to enter city buildings nor speak to city employees unless he's attending a city commission meeting. I doubt he will be reelected or that he will even run again.

I frequent an island in that area and yep, I am the scaredy cat who will not go shopping in Brunswick again. I have a friend going down there today and will try to get a reading on the pulse of residents over the weekend. Will report back if I hear anything.

I'm a little concerned with putting a community celebration/party between 4-6 p.m. on Good Friday. For those who are observant of Easter, Good Friday is a very solemn day especially the hours from 4-6, when you are mindful of the crucifixion.

Although really, I guess, having a "healing" community event meant to bring and spread peace is not like having a drunken costumed festival type thing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back