GUILTY GA - Antonio Santiago, 13 mos, Brunswick, 21 March 2013 - #3

based on the FB page of the folks putting this event it is geared towards celebrating the children of the neighborhood and bringing the community together in the name of the kids.

I hope it goes well. It is an effort at healing and I applaud the effort. Like everyone else, I really hope it is a peaceful event that aides in uniting the neighborhood for the common good of all.

I frequent an island in that area and yep, I am the scaredy cat who will not go shopping in Brunswick again. I have a friend going down there today and will try to get a reading on the pulse of residents over the weekend. Will report back if I hear anything.
From what I've seen it's business as usual around here. Most have long ago acknowledged that violent crime exists here and take precautions. Those that are suddenly in fear would be those that have turned a blind eye to what happens in these idyllic little streets of Brunswick or, for whatever reason, didn't know of the dangers that exist until the day a 13 month old baby became a victim.

Sega, Marina, thanks so much for your input on this case. It is so appreciated.

Alex “A.J.” Robinson, the department’s recruiting officer from August 2010 to August 2011, testified that Brooks instructed him to send all unqualified applicants to see him.
“I told him first and foremost, I’d have to contact the chief,’’ Robinson said. “He said, ‘The chief works for me. I don’t work for her.’ ’’

He described Brooks as very powerful and said that Brooks once told him, “Just shut the hell up. Just send them to me,’’ when he said that some applicants’ criminal history made them ineligible to be police officers.

snip

Jackie Johnson told the court earlier Brooks wore a gun and badge of some sort when he showed up during police calls. Brooks’ wife testified in his bail hearing two weeks ago that he owned a gun, and Georgia Bureau of Investigation agents found one when they searched Brooks’ house after his arrest.

Officers complained about Brooks having the radio and about his interference when they responded to calls, especially one at a public housing complex where his granddaughter was lived, Johnson said.

The ultimate decision on hiring and firing lay with Harris, and all she and any commissioner could do was make recommendations, the former chief said.

GBI Special Agent Larry Kelly testified that he began investigating Brooks in April after Mayor Bryan Thompson and Police Chief Tobe Green told him of Knight’s contention he had paid Brooks $300 to “seal his record and get him a job with Brunswick.”

Read more at Jacksonville.com: http://jacksonville.com/news/georgi...ner-still-jailed-bribery-charge#ixzz2OwUc4Ih0

I am not liking what I am reading here. Does anyone else wonder if Mr. Brooks was stacking the force with criminals loyal to him? And he had some sort of badge he would wear and show up at crime scenes??? To do what, interfere with witnesses? And he insisted he be issued a police radio, for what reason, so he could know when police calls were occurring?

I got a real bad feeling that this is gonna end up being huge.

Reminds me of the "Hip Hop Mayor" (as he styled himself) of Detroit. Son of Congresswoman Kilpatrick, he led Detroit to near bankruptcy and ruin. How sad that so e of these communities most in need embrace these thugs out of a mixture of loyalty, ignorance and fear. They allow them to steal from their children's future and condemn them to living in fear...for WHAT? When will this stop?

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2013/03/ex-detroit_mayor_kwame_kilpatr_38.html

"Today the jury found Kwame Kilpatrick guilty of... abusing the power of public office to enrich himself, his friends and family, instead of serving the people who elected him," said McQuade. "Kwame Kilpatrick stole money... While Kwame Kilpatrick enjoyed a lavish lifestyle, he watched the quality of life erode for the people of Detroit."

McQuade said the jury found that Kilpatrick "created a culture of doing business in Detroit."

"If you wanted a contract in Detroit there had to be bribes," she said. "If you wanted a contract, you had to get his friend Bobby Ferguson in on one of the contracts

"In all, Bobby Ferguson received $127 million worth of city contracts from the city of Detroit... The former mayor was not focused on running the city he was focused on using the office of the mayor as a moneymaking machine."

In addition to contract rigging, McQuade said Kilpatrick stole $500,000 from his nonprofit Kilpatrick Civic Fund and "spent it on things like yoga lessons for himself, golf clubs, vacations at luxury resorts, summer camps for his kids."

"Kwame Kilpatrick didn't lead the city, he looted the city," she said.

I had been reading rumors about a Black Panther rally in Brunswick tomorrow and a news station Facebook page says they will be there. I am not completely sure what the rally is for... Has any one else heard of this.

See posts by others from 5 hours ago by S.E.G.F and D.R.M. http://www.facebook.com/WJXT4TheLocalStation?ref=ts&fref=ts

And the Black Panthers would be there to rally about...what? I thought there was no racial aspect to this crime.

So...?????

as to Brooks

:thud:

as to the block party

I do not fear violence at the block party. Not right now with so much LE attention on this neighborhood and them still actively investigating this case.

I think the block party is a great idea, the way to prevent the fear from permeating this neighborhood is to get people to take it back. A block party will go a long way in getting people out of their houses and talking to one another, getting to know one another and feeling safe within their numbers.

I agree with you tlcya. Perhaps this will be the last straw for the good people of Brunswick, and they'll come together to take their city back from the corrupt and the gangs.

The news about this commissioner is jaw-dropping.

I had been reading rumors about a Black Panther rally in Brunswick tomorrow and a news station Facebook page says they will be there. I am not completely sure what the rally is for... Has any one else heard of this.

See posts by others from 5 hours ago by S.E.G.F and D.R.M. http://www.facebook.com/WJXT4TheLocalStation?ref=ts&fref=ts

Thank you :) I just warned friends who will be in that area this weekend to stay out of downtown Brunswick tomorrow.

http://www.fox30jax.com/mostpopular...or-information-in/xHk40f5cxk6aT-ZC2tPu3g.cspx

Police offer $25,000 reward for information in Glynn County Commissioner's death

The autopsy report on Commissioner Tom Sublett shows he had his hands bound in front of him and a gun shot wound to the head.

Well, that at least explains why the $10,000 reward has yielded no takers for information on Antonio's death. If it's all tied to the same corruption and fear of reprisal.

http://www.actionnewsjax.com/conten...ioner-Tom-Sublett/tw5MHqMleUm1Aot9P5TV1w.cspx

The medical examiner for the Georgia Bureau of Investigation shared the findings with Sublett's family, saying his death is consistent to a suicide.

Good grief. I'd be interested in hearing the ME explain how and why someone would tie his hands together prior to picking up a gun and shooting himself in the head. Seems like a lot of unnecessary bother, wouldn't you think?

I'm shocked and saddened by the scandalous behavior of this commissioner. And angry.
I hope he's being watched and the people that have given statements against him are being protected.
Oh my word!

I hope the block party has a positive impact on the community.

Be safe Brunswick and Glynn County peeps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm shocked and saddened by the scandalous behavior of this commissioner. And angry.
I hope he's being watched and the people that have given statements against him are being protected.
Oh my word!

I hope the block party has a positive impact on the community.

Be safe Brunswick and Glynn County peeps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not uncommon in GA, We have it where I live to. The new Sheriff Elect has a past history and was let go from the LE dept that he is now Sheriff of. The commissioners are another long story. Alot relates to what they call in this area the Gentleman's agreement.

Brunswick Commissioner could be remover from office.

(From article)
Under Georgia law, the district attorney will forward the indictment to Gov. Nathan Deal, who will appoint a panel that includes the attorney general and elected officials to review the charges and recommend whether Brooks should be removed. Deal will then decide whether Brooks is to remain in office.

“He’d been duped like other people in this community,’’ Tucker said.
Asked why Brooks inserted himself into a situation involving someone he knew to be a police officer, Tucker said, “I don’t know why he spoke to the Elkins family other than they are constituents of his ... It wasn’t his intent to embarrass this community.”

http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/2013-03-29/story/brunswick-commissioner-could-be-removed-office

Well, well, well, let's see what the Governor will do.

Here is a video showing the New Black Panther Party at the courthouse. They are speaking out on behalf of the accused. I am still not sure why they are speaking out. There is also a local pastor who is very angry about them being there.

http://www.news4jax.com/Mom-sister-...lling/-/475982/19526724/-/520ott/-/index.html

Also, the video says they found a link between Dl and DE..apparently at one time they attended the same school.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mintexas
Back