trial day 43: the defense continues its case in chief #131

Status
Not open for further replies.
You hit the nail on the head. She's acting like she expects to be tripped up. She said something about JM attempting to trick her at one point. What surprises me the most (because we share similar professions, ALV and I) is how she is trying to guess where JM is going with respect to his questions. She keeps saying, "I don't know where you're going with this". WELL, SHE DOESN'T HAVE TO KNOW IF SHE JUST TELLS THE TRUTH! And, her mindset tells me that she is a very controlling person herself. It's the battle of wills between ALV and JM. But she's got her entourage and her circle of "professional" healers and they will embrace her and tell her it's not her fault, that big bad prosecutor victimized her. Just ridiculous. Or, if she's a really an honest and growing human being, and I think she probably is, she'll have a deep turning in the seat of her soul and take a long, honest look at herself, and maybe make some changes. It's possible. This is going to be a life-changing experience for ALV. I have no doubt.

I agree 1000%. In my mind, an expert makes a conclusion based on certain facts and that's what they testify on. Not everything will be 100% in favor of their side, and they shouldn't be afraid to admit that. And they shouldn't be sparring with the atty, just sticking to the facts.

It will be really interesting to see how Demarte comes across in comparison. I hope that the jury ends up thinking "Aah, that's what we were looking for. Someone who knows their stuff, is organized, lives in the 21st century instead of the 1970s, and actually answers freaking questions instead of wasting our time arguing that every single peg, even the square ones, fits into her round hole."

I have a lot to catch up on.

I have a question. Where is the evidence that Travis physically abused JA? Even just laid a finger on her in a violent manner? Only the terrorist's words right? No photos. No medical records. We don't have PROOF that she ever told anyone. So there is no collateral anything to back up her story!

I can see (though it's not true) that ALV claims Travis was emotionally abusive by reading his words but she only has Arias' words for the physical stuff.

Good Morning everyone!

When I went to bed last night I thought I was going to smash my TV. Alyce in Wonderland was avoiding every possible question she could. THAT should NOT be allowed, just answer the question. YES OR NO!!!!!!
She is extremely aggrivating, if I was Juan I would have been totally losing it!

Me too! I just have to give him a break. He has been dressing better and looked nice the past couple of days. I hate what JA is doing to Travis's family and his memory however, KN wanted off this case. He actually tried more than once to remove himself. I don't know how many of you all have experienced just a regular trial, not a high profile one. It is exhausting as our wonderful observers have kept us posted on and the are just observing. As a lawyer who has just gone out on his own trying to keep his other clients happy, being tied up with this travesty of a court case, and then his family obligations. I do feel for him and all of the ethical standards that he has to meet while defending JA to the best of his ability. I know he is getting compensated by the state but as an example look how many pro bono attorney's picked up JB slack in that other trial. Where there isn't that type of circus atmosphere her yet. With that said I would want JM to be the prosecution if I ever was a victim and I do realize he is so brilliant that he can and does do it alone. He really is astounding.

It appears all Nurmi is doing any more is dreaming up some cockamamie BS to use for that day's mistrial motion. If he can't invent something else, his fallback is some phantom prosecutorial misconduct.

If this is the last witness and JW will do the closing, he's been out of it for a while. Since JW had their two "experts" it seems likely she'll cross Demarte.

So his role has been finished for a while - it seems the most he'll do is maybe cross a couple of rebuttal witnesses that Juan brings up for just a handful of questions.

Here's the "time out" clip. The court reporter turns to JM when she says that, and I could swear that he was about ready to crack a smile.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiL05BDtIsw"]If you were in my group I'd ask you to take a time out Mr. Martinez. - YouTube[/ame]

Does anyone know yet who will be coming in to testify for the prosecution?

watching back to see where ALV said the word afflicted first then she asked JM what he means by the word.. she is the one who said "afflicted" first.

watch from 8.49

JM says it at 8:42. He sometimes has a problem with his memory. :)

At it early this morning, JM brought up stalking yesterday with ALV, here is what AZ Law is regarding 'stalking'

13-2923. Stalking; classification; definitions

A. A person commits stalking if the person intentionally or knowingly engages in a course of conduct that is directed toward another person and if that conduct either:

1. Would cause a reasonable person to fear for the person's safety or the safety of that person's immediate family member and that person in fact fears for the person's safety or the safety of that person's immediate family member.

2. Would cause a reasonable person to fear death of that person or that person's immediate family member and that person in fact fears death of that person or that person's immediate family member.

B. Stalking under subsection A, paragraph 1 of this section is a class 5 felony. Stalking under subsection A, paragraph 2 of this section is a class 3 felony.

C. For the purposes of this section:

1. "Course of conduct":

(a) Means any of the following:

(i) Maintaining visual or physical proximity to a specific person or directing verbal, written or other threats, whether express or implied, to a specific person on two or more occasions over a period of time, however short.

(ii) Using any electronic, digital or global positioning system device to surveil a specific person or a specific person's internet or wireless activity continuously for twelve hours or more or on two or more occasions over a period of time, however short, without authorization.
(b) Does not include constitutionally protected activity or other activity authorized by law, the other person, the other person's authorized representative or if the other person is a minor, the minor's parent or guardian.

2. "Immediate family member" means a spouse, parent, child or sibling or any other person who regularly resides in a person's household or resided in a person's household within the past six months.

Source: http://www.azleg.state.az.us/ars/13/02923.htm

BBM

Good question, and idk. Maybe she called the local LDS church and got Rachel's name, because it doesn't sound like she knew Rachel earlier. Jodi said she was scrambling, hurriedly answering ads, etc., so she arrived in flux with no set plan other than to be within easy stalking distance of Travis.

I'd love to know from JA's mom or dad how far in advance JA had her plans to move squared away. She told Flores in the interrogation videos that she moved there after they broke up because the plans had already been made and so she and Travis decided she'd move anyways.

If this were true, she'd have a month or more to secure a place to live prior to arriving in Mesa. However, it sounds like her move was quite sudden, and possibly only had a day or two of notice after deciding she would leave before she actually left... She probably found out he was dating (or getting ready to start dating) Lisa and then left ASAP after she found out.

Is this JA's "sustained" moment? JW seems to think it's awfully cute when her BFF rolls her eyes and does that.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_UWGptuFDw"]Jodi Arias rolls eyes at Juan Martinez. Trial Day 43 - YouTube[/ame]

At first I thought Laviolette was OK and I was a bit worried because it seemed she was connecting well with the jury, then, Martinez began his cross and she went off the rails. I mean, she'd already left the track during direct, but even that was like, well, alright she's a defense witness, so even though I didn't like it I understood why - but OMG, she's sounds like a total loon now, IMO.

She's so sssssllllloooowwww thinking. When he asks her a question you can actually see the effort it takes her to process it. Her face goes into this confused contortion for a few seconds, then she decides to say she doesn't understand the question. He explains it. She decides it can't be answered. :facepalm:

Morning all!

I feel her slowness is deliberate to some extent. Notice how many times she looks at Wilma for direction?

Morning Schuby!

LA VIOLETTE: "I still don't believe that" Despite loads of evidence.

Sounds like someone else we all know. Malignant Denial.

According to a Huff Post piece way from back in January this doodle depicting Snow White sporting a shiner, is credited to JA and was auctioned on eBay. catchy title" my a$$. Clearly JA identified with it. Poor Jodi, so mistreated.

4egega3y.jpg

I feel her slowness is deliberate to some extent. Notice how many times she looks at Wilma for direction?

Morning Schuby!

ALL the time! I loved it yesterday when Juan said, "Don't look over there, I'M the one asking the questions."

She's so sssssllllloooowwww thinking. When he asks her a question you can actually see the effort it takes her to process it. Her face goes into this confused contortion for a few seconds, then she decides to say she doesn't understand the question. He explains it. She decides it can't be answered. :facepalm:

Morning all!

Actually I think her problem is that she's always trying to figure out where JM is headed with his questions, so she's trying to figure out how to craft her non-answer to the current one so as to throw him off. But a) he's always about 10 steps ahead of her and b) he can turn on a dime and twist any reply against the witness without missing a beat.

It seemed to be wearing her down toward the end of the day, but she's done a good job of hanging in there and holding her ground, regardless of how ridiculous she looks doing it.

She has done something positive for the defense however. The jury has now forgotten how terrible of a witness Samuels was. :angel:

Actually I think her problem is that she's always trying to figure out where JM is headed with his questions, so she's trying to figure out how to craft her non-answer to the current one so as to throw him off. But a) he's always about 10 steps ahead of her and b) he can turn on a dime and twist any reply against the witness without missing a beat.

It seemed to be wearing her down toward the end of the day, but she's done a good job of hanging in there and holding her ground, regardless of how ridiculous she looks doing it.

She has done something positive for the defense however. The jury has now forgotten how terrible of a witness Samuels was. :angel:

Lol, we all have.
Agree about her prevaricating. It's a total Jodi redux.

LA VIOLETTE: "I still don't believe that" Despite loads of evidence.

Sounds like someone else we all know. Malignant Denial.

According to a Huff Post piece way from back in January this doodle depicting Snow White sporting a shiner, is credited to JA and was auctioned on eBay. catchy title" my a$$. Clearly JA identified with it. Poor Jodi, so mistreated.

View attachment 31808

BBM - But notice how masterfully Juan handled her. She went from "I see no evidence of (jealousy/whatever)" the day before to admitting there was lots of evidence and switching to "but the preponderance of the evidence...." I don't expect that shift went unnoticed by the jury. And he's not even done yet.

ALL the time! I loved it yesterday when Juan said, "Don't look over there, I'M the one asking the questions."

I was so glad he called her out for it, she has done it more then once that I have seen and I haven't seen her the whole time she's been on the stand.

HA I missed that because I am only able to watch so little of it. Good one. It is so noticeable and I am glad that Juan took her out on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member