trial day 43: the defense continues its case in chief #131

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree. There are lots of studies using different methodologies and they all show that women are disproportionately likely to be abuse victims compared to men. Obviously Jodi was abusive and obviously women do abuse and murder men but ALV is right. If you look at prison statistics, only 6.8 percent of federal and state prisoners are women. Women just don't commit ANY crime in the same numbers as men do.

The case is not about stats. She milks the time. Goes off the rails.

I'm confused about something Juan's doing. He made the point today that the reason Jodi didn't write about her jealousy was because of the law of attraction. Right? Did I miss something and therefore am getting this wrong? Because earlier in the trial the defense said she didn't write about the abuse because of the law of attraction. Yet, Juan said she didn't write about it because it didn't happen.

So Juan's trying to have it both ways and I think that's a big mistake with this jury. Frankly, I'm disappointed in him.

Hmm, I don't see where JM is trying to have it both ways. The jealousy obviously did happen, there is plenty of evidence of that. But there is scant to no evidence of abuse.

Nothing wrong with turning the tables using Jodi's own words. moo

I disagree. There are lots of studies using different methodologies and they all show that women are disproportionately likely to be abuse victims compared to men. Obviously Jodi was abusive and obviously women do abuse and murder men but ALV is right. If you look at prison statistics, only 6.8 percent of federal and state prisoners are women. Women just don't commit ANY crime in the same numbers as men do.
Adding to the conundrum, domestic violence statistics are by nature unreliable. Domestic violence is often under-reported (by both genders but I believe men specifically face a convoluted social morass) and there are types of abuse which manifest there are few, if any, legal protections designed for.

Never is this truer then for male victims of psychological abuse in my very humble opinion.

:seeya: Good Morning. Ready for Juan's rock 'n roll?

I know I won't be the first to mention this, but I woke up this morning with the realisation that ALV probably has an additional agenda to that of Domestic Violence.

I think she is very anti-death penalty, which explains why she started this case as a mitigation witness, and gives a secondary cause for her extreme bias.

Neither of these issues gives cause for her despicable behaviour on the stand! :furious:

:twocents:

Does anyone know if the jury questions come after JM or after JW's re-direct?

I think JW will come first, then questions then JW and JM again...it will never end.

I didn't get to watch anything live yesterday. I had to pick up grandd and go to grands's play yesterday. I tried listening in the car (Thank goodness for Satelite radio) and well, little pitchers have big ears and definitely not appropriate conversation with a 5 yo in the back seat! Anyway, did I hear correctly that afternoon was delayed so ALV could go over the police interrogations of the father? Or was it both? And why now?...still trying to catch up on the threads so hopefully someone has a quick answer!

K

Yes, and she is going to regret ever saying it. Combativeness from a witness needs to be left out of the courtroom in such a serious case.

From what I have heard from the court watchers none of the jury laughed when she said it either.

It's a strange thing to say even in the scenario of one of her groups. It's just not a normal way to speak to another adult.

YOWZER.. now wouldn't that just rock the courtroom.. only problem is that question would probably get pulled during review... lordy, I hope after the verdict to hear from some of these jurors.

I think it's because women to not rise to the level of abuse that men do in terms of beatings. Women can be very abusive to their male partners and they just never report it. My uncle was married to a woman for 40 years and she was very abusive. Tried to kill him a couple of times and he stayed with her because most of the time she was a good women (according to him). He stayed for the same reason many women stay. However he was a better match for her when it came to physical abuse and could just get away from her. So basically men are better able to handle an abusive relationship than a woman, unless she has a weapon.

I see ALV rationalizing that if Travis felt he was being abused/stalked/harassed by Jodi he would have just walked away. Problem is it was Jodi who was always going after Travis. Travis never followed her to California. It was always Jodi that went after Travis. ALV can't see this as Jodi's problem but assigns that behavior to Travis.....he made her do it.

Yeah, really, to me, it just makes JW looks snowed by Jodi. She's spent way too much time with her, and these are the kinds of relationships Jodi thrives on, kind of like a leech. That's the whole reason Travis got into trouble with the girl. Jodi draws people in like a spider web, and then they're caught, careers and lives ruined. Ask Daryl Brewer who has no house over it. Ask her parents who have to sit here through an embarrassing, horrific trial. Ask Travis' friends, who pointed her out immediately as the murdering psychopath. Can't ask Travis, of course, but there's a reason this girl doesn't have any character witnesses. She ruins lives. Plain and simple.

I don't know what JW thinks is going to happen to her career by chumming up with this girl and losing objectivity..

Great post! Yes, just like a spider! Little by little, day by day, JA's body has been inching closer to & now has crossed into JW's physical space, even touching her.

Yesterday, there were at least two times I thought Wilmott really isn't liking this anymore; Jodi had her face in W's hair for several seconds for gosh sake.

I think JW will come first, then questions then JW and JM again...it will never end.

I didn't get to watch anything live yesterday. I had to pick up grandd and go to grands's play yesterday. I tried listening in the car (Thank goodness for Satelite radio) and well, little pitchers have big ears and definitely not appropriate conversation with a 5 yo in the back seat! Anyway, did I hear correctly that afternoon was delayed so ALV could go over the police interrogations of the father? Or was it both? And why now?...still trying to catch up on the threads so hopefully someone has a quick answer!

K
Yes... and I will totally SKIP the JW part.. once around the park is enough.

Morning all!

I was just thinking about yesterday, especially ALV's comment of "I'm old fashioned".

I won't say that's "bad" or "negative". However, in this case, I think that might backfire.

The jury knows a lot about Jodi's actions. Not all like us, unfortunately. But Jodi was no shrinking violet. She pursued Travis relentlessly. There ain't nothin' old fashioned about Jodi!!!

ALV's refusal to see Jodi for who she is did her NO FAVORS - and it's not because she wasn't told or wasn't allowed to see because of the defense! Being "old fashioned" in this particular case reads closed minded, IMO.

I would have a very hard time relating all the stuff ALV is saying to what I know about Jodi, if I were on the jury.

IMO the old-fashioned quote will come back to haunt the defense because Demarte and Juan will paint the DT experts as stuck in the 70s and not keeping up to date with the times. She and Samuels both at 30+ years but nothing new in decades. Demarte should be a refreshing change.

I don't think we will ever know the real truth about males who are victimized by dangerous females. They are the least likely to report anyway so the stats will always be skewed imo.

I think it goes on a hellavu lot more than some like to think. Its just better to say that most abuse is done by a man.

I think this case will bring much needed awareness and support for male abuse victims which is very much needed.

Many abuses are done to males even in their childhood and many times it can be at the hands of their mothers or other female family members. The stats, iirc say 1-4 females are abused and 1-6 males are abused. That is way too much abuse for either gender imo.

Women have a more favorable outcome in their trials than men do for same like crimes. On average a man may spend a minimum of 17 years in prison for murder and for the same like crime a female will only serve 8-10 years.

There is a great disparity and double standards in our country about many things. Abuse done to males by stalker/female abusers are one imo and unequal punishments for same like crimes is another.

So I'm not ready to believe that all men are the bad ones and females are good as ALV has promoted for over 34 years with a very biased viewpoint. Imo, she has never met a man she did like.

And then we wonder why men don't come forward and report female abusers.:banghead: They don't because society on a whole diminishes its seriousness and severity if they are the victims.

Oh - also wanted to say FWIW - yesterday on Twitter people were posting pics of DB saying 'BEWARE, BEWARE - SPY" LOL evidently DB has been seen eavesdropping on people at lunch, in the hall, etc. and is most likely reporting back to the DT. Of course, people can say whatever they wish about the <modsnip> on trial, it won't cause a mistrial. Now, if DB is stalking the jurors, that is another ballgame.

Are you referring to Daryl Brewer as DB? I had no idea he was even in AZ. That is really bizarre if he is still hanging around the courthouse.

I couldn't agree more, scorpio. I took her testimony to mean because Travis didn't react from a place of fear according to her interpretation (I'm going to assume restraining order, new locks, police intervention, etc.) that means there's no evidence of stalking...which is about as backwards an approach as you can get. By that reasoning every female that returns to a male abuser obviously couldn't possibly fear him either.

Stalking is just one manifestation of psychological abuse. Abuse is determined by a series of behaviors on the part of the abuser intended to subjugate another using those behaviors. It has never been defined by the actions or reactions of the victim - not since, maybe, 1928 or so. ;)

To answer your question though, both Lisa and Mimi have mentioned stalking prior to Jodi's testimony. It was at Lisa's house Travis' tires were slashed. We haven't heard from friends yet who have said online that Travis feared her - I think his own words carry a great deal of weight though.

Jodi was pretty, um, blatant in showing a pattern of obsessive and unreasonable behavior all her own with her testimony imo. One of the jury questions was specifically about Jodi being controlling and I believe that's immensely important. She discounted it, of course, and stated she's too forgiving and acquiescent. :rolleyes: I think the jury see right through her and her 'experts'.

JMO

So well said! Thank you!

She's not going to like it when JM continues to insert JA as the abuser on her trusty ever-changing continuum. Not one little bit. :twocents:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zerofoxgiven