Terrorist Attack at Boston Marathon #8 One Suspect Dead; One in Custody

Status
Not open for further replies.
My goodness, IMO, they fired over like what 500 bullets between the two shootouts that lasted a total of 48 seconds for both!
Descriptors like barrage of bullets
bullet-ridden
gunfight
firefight

Not sure if they were restrained (strained YES)!

Ha, but I do mean restrained. It may seem excessive to us, but unlike in the movies, when an officer draws his or her gun the intent is to stop the target, not wing him or give him a non-debilitating injury. So yes, if weapons are used (and I think they were absolutely justifiably used) 500+ bullets fired with one bomber still living DOES show restraint.

IMO, of course.

So is the dead terrorist's wife talking to the FBI or is it still just her attorney that is doing all the talking? Just curious...I haven't had the time to keep up with this thread this week.

Ha, but I do mean restrained. It may seem excessive to us, but unlike in the movies, when an officer draws his or her gun the intent is to stop the target, not wing him or give him a non-debilitating injury. So yes, if weapons are used (and I think they were absolutely justifiably used) 500+ bullets fired with one bomber still living DOES show restraint.

IMO, of course.

Especially, when they were using NON-LETHAL rubber bullets!!! The cops WANTED him alive!

I don't believe that at all. That would be strictly classified intel. Imo, while Russia isn't my country, its still a huge SuperPower (more so now in 2012 & 2013 than even America). I highly doubt that's all that was shared. That's just the info that was given to the public.

No that's all, they also said when they asked Russia for more info they never got a response from them. They said there was little to no info supplied by the Russians, basically a name and birthdate.

Don't forget the Russians didn't ask him to be investigated as a warning to the US, it was because he had traveled back to their country they were concerned. They didn't care what he was doing until he came to Russia the first time around.

Matter of fact they also pointed out that the reason they didn't get a ping on his second trip was because the Russian's misspelled his name on the return travel docs so the US computers never picked it up...

anyways like I said, it's the Russians and it's not like they are the last bastion of integrity when it comes to this stuff, they're looking out for Russia not the USA

So is the dead terrorist's wife talking to the FBI or is it still just her attorney that is doing all the talking? Just curious...I haven't had the time to keep up with this thread this week.

DT told investigators this.

I wouldn't trust anything said by the Russian government. Their hands are way dirty, and they have their own motives for what they are saying and doing in all this.

Just thinking about this Misha guy - he recommended no music, no sports to TT, it sounds like Taliban.

No that's all, they also said when they asked Russia for more info they never got a response from them. They said there was little to no info supplied by the Russians, basically a name and birthdate.

Don't forget the Russians didn't ask him to be investigated as a warning to the US, it was because he had traveled back to their country they were concerned. They didn't care what he was doing until he came to Russia the first time around.

Matter of fact they also pointed out that the reason they didn't get a ping on his second trip was because the Russian's misspelled his name on the return travel docs so the US computers never picked it up...

anyways like I said, it's the Russians and it's not like they are the last bastion of integrity when it comes to this stuff, they're looking out for Russia not the USA

That's not the way Napolitano told the story. She said the misspelling wasn't a factor. According to her, they did know TT had re-entered the country. but there was no alert because the investigation of TT had 'expired".

In 10 years someone will make a movie about this. It has it all.

IMO, of course.
What I was saying IMO they all were ordered not to kill him! Peroid.

Agreed. I think FBI blew it and is now trying to blame Russia for not providing enough information. How much information did they need?
Enough to legally infringe on his civil rights.

And actually it's now being said if there was a mistake (they still don't know) it was the Department of homeland security that failed to communicate, FBI did their part it was further down the line

It's easy to point fingers in hindsight, but there are laws in this country that protect people from the government infringing on our rights.

It's not as easy as it seems and the feds do hundreds of thousands of these investigations every year. They've nabbed some bad guys they've wiffed on some and will continue to do so now and then. Just part of living in the USA where we are protected from our own governments intrusion. Can't catch all the bad guys and have our privacy too.

Hopefully this incident shows them where there some holes to plug in the system and they won't miss the next one.

It could never be duplicated - it was a rivoting ride -- Hollywood tries to make action adventure like this all the time --it was amazing which is also what makes it so scary.

IMO

It's already been reported by LE, they have video of the shooting, they ambushed him, shot him and tried to take his gun but could not unholster the weapon so they left. There was no other reason than to take his gun it appears

I didn't know they had a video of the shooting of the MIT cop. Could you post a link? TIA!

In the Boston Globe, a team of reporters quotes law enforcement as saying that it is now believed Tsarnaev’s neck wound came from flying shrapnel rather than a self-inflicted bullet wound, which fits in with the emerging theory that he was unarmed.

http://dankennedy.net/2013/04/25/casting-some-doubt-on-the-official-marathon-accounts/

Well, unfortunately the doctors have indicated his tongue was also injured by a close range injury--a gunshot to mouth/tongue/throat/back of neck. So, I have a very hard time understanding how this could be a shrapnel wound, personally.

CBS television quoted investigators as saying that Tsarnaev suffered two serious wounds and had lost a lot of blood. It said investigators had speculated that one wound in the back of his neck could have been a suicide attempt.

"They say it appears from the wound that he might have stuck a gun in his mouth and fired," said the report, which added that Tsarnaev could understand what those around him were saying.

The suspect was in Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center while U.S. Attorney Carmen Ortiz, the federal prosecutor for the Boston area, was working on filing criminal charges. An announcement on charges could come later on Sunday, he said.

Tsarnaev was shot in the throat and had tongue damage, said a source close to the investigation, speaking on condition of anonymity.

[*In other words, the close-range wounding agent entered the mouth, wounded the tongue & throat, and exited out the back of the neck.]

http://www.independent.ie/world-new...-as-doctors-treat-throat-wounds-29211115.html out the back of the neck.

*Blue comment above added by me.

The interesting thing, too, is that in the photo of him exiting the boat his face looks fine. But on the ground, his face is bloody. Personally, I'm curious about that still photo, and whether or not that was taken from a video.

Speaking before the information was verified, yes, I'll give you that. Thus, Deveau qualified his statement with "it is my understanding", which the Salon post conveniently omits. It was foolhardy on his part to speak prematurely, but it hardly equates to a plot to fool the public which some have suggested.

Perhaps the lesson to be learned is for the consumers of the news, the readers and listeners, who could benefit by exercising prudence when discerning facts from non-facts. JMO

http://www.salon.com/2013/04/25/the_changing_facts_in_the_boston_investigation/

These are the main examples of LE misspeak that I was aware of. It bothered me because I know it wasn't just bad reporting by the press, it was a changing story from the source (LE). Either they deliberately misspoke, or they spoke before they had information.

I don't believe misstatements are part of a plot to 'fool the public.' However it is true that the public cannot accurately "discern facts from non-facts" if LE/media speak prematurely and/or in a contradictory way about the facts. So I'm not going to lay all this on the public as some lesson to be learned--because the only lesson to be learned from that would be that you can't trust the media and LE. And I don't want to believe that, nor do I believe LE and media would want us to believe that.

Here are a few more examples of "mis-speak" by both MSM and LE, which hampered the public's ability to discern truth from fiction. IMO.
Watertown Police Chief Ed Deveau offered up the most detailed account yet on Saturday of the harrowing manhunt that ended with one suspect dead and another captured after multiple firefights.

Deveau also described the confrontation the next day, in which officers responding to a resident’s report of blood in his backyard used heat sensing technology to locate the suspect hiding in a boat. According to Deveau, Tsarnaev exchanged fire with cops on scene. Devau’s account is the first report that Tsarnaev participated in the gun battle himself.

“It was back and forth,” he said.”My understanding, yes — he was firing.”

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/...inute-by-minute-account-of-deadly-manhunt.php

Boston Chief of Police says cause of death for TT is younger brother's running over him. As they were handcuffing, younger brother ran over older brother, "killing him"--otherwise, older brother "would still be alive today." (*As of today though, 4/25, ME has still not revealed cause of death.)
CNN, Live 4/20/13

"Transit SWAT officers arrived at the scene after Tsarnaev, who had also been wounded in the earlier gun battle, had already fired on other cops."
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...cuffed-bomb-suspect-no-time-to-be-afraid?lite

By Associated Press, Published: April 19

WATERTOWN, Mass. — "Police: Boston Marathon bomb suspect fired shots from boat, hospitalized in serious condition."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...1c-bb0fb0c2edd9_singlePage.html?tid=obnetwork

Mr. Davis [Boston police commissioner] told CBS News’s “Face the Nation” on Sunday: “We have reason to believe, based upon the evidence that was found at that scene — the explosions, the explosive ordnance that was unexploded and the firepower that they had — that they were going to attack other individuals.”

Along with determining that the suspects had made at least five pipe bombs, the authorities recovered four firearms that they believe the suspects used, according to a law enforcement official. The authorities found an M-4 carbine rifle — a weapon similar to ones used by American forces in Afghanistan — on the boat where the younger suspect was found Friday night in Watertown, Mass.

Two handguns and a BB gun that the authorities believe the brothers used in an earlier shootout with officers in Watertown were also recovered, said one official briefed on the investigation. The authorities said they believe the suspects had fired roughly 80 rounds in that shootout, in which Tamerlan Tsarnaev was fatally wounded, the official said.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/22/u...ped-to-attack-again.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all&

But since it's now been determined there was only ONE 9mm gun, it seems unlikely the suspects actually fired 80 rounds at LE.

Again, I don't need my heroes to be infallible (and the LE are my heroes, make no mistake). I just want them (and media) not to comment if all is not yet known. I'd also appreciate knowing important facts that they must obviously know right from the start--even if they're at a loss to explain them right away (eg. that suspect #2 had no gun).

Please do not mistake my views as sympathy for DT. I only had one thought in mind that night, take him alive. We need the info, we need to have a trial and we need him to see justice, American style, and NOT be a martyr for the cause. No police officer is trained that it is alright to shoot at an unarmed suspect. Not only that, the command on the radio was shouting HOLD YOUR FIRE. What happened, and what should have happened were not in harmony that night. I am just glad DT survived. I know everyone goes with their emotion and says "he should be dead". But I live in America and we don't do that here. Not without a trial. Not only that, the prospect of intelligence was just too important to let emotion rule. Jmo.

I am with you on this, elmomom. While I raise questions, I hold no sympathy for someone who would blow up innocents. Your points are well-taken, and I am hopeful that with his being alive, more light can be shed on the mystifying question of 'why?'

That's not the way Napolitano told the story. She said the misspelling wasn't a factor. According to her, they did know TT had re-entered the country. but there was no alert because the investigation of TT had 'expired".

Yep. They failed to investigate him when he came back.

I give it a year. I'm sure book deals are already being made and movie scripts are being written. So many angles... LE, victims, first response teams, hospital staffs, citizen heroes, the wife, the parents, Russian uncles, crazy aunt, endless opportunities. Hollywood is abuzz...

I meant to add this to the post about the father's "brain cancer": when we first heard it from a family member IMO it seemed odd that, when he is living near some of the finest medical treatment in the industrialized world, he would go to a country where the economy is in disarray and the medical system is likely maxed out due to years and years of carnage. a place where you'd think he wouldn't be near the top of the treatment list because he sought asylum from them for political reasons. then, the timing of his return overlapped with T's trip there and the ex-wife soon followed. dad sure is a brave guy to stand up to a "group" of russian "athletes", who severely kicked his butt. so I wonder if that story glosses over the real circumstances of the beating. on the flip side I wonder if, in the various statements made by family members, they are passing cautions/warnings inside their statements

Seriously, is CNN getting their next topics here? Now they are discussing the mother just like we here. And then Piers says the whole thing is like a movie. Didn't I just write that a couple of posts ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong