Terrorist Attack at Boston Marathon #8 One Suspect Dead; One in Custody

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone clear up the SUV hostage and shootout situation for me? I'm confused by the naked hostage footage that appears to be at the shoot out. I thought hostage escaped and called 911 from a nearby convenience store before the shoot out scenario. If that's the case, why the strip down?

Can someone clear up the SUV hostage and shootout situation for me? I'm confused by the naked hostage footage that appears to be at the shoot out. I thought hostage escaped and called 911 from a nearby convenience store before the shoot out scenario. If that's the case, why the strip down?

Naked guy wasn't a hostage, but some innocent bystander.

I was watching this unfold live on the news as well as listening to the scanner and reading the scanner thread (the ultimate in multi-tasking!) I remember seeing a video of a man face down in the street (this was live) and he was wearing workout gear, like nice adidas sweats, kind of a track suit. He was defnitely NOT either of the suspects. They made the cameras move away and I didn't see anything about it until the recent video of "naked man."

Now while this was going on, I did hear that he was asked to remove his clothing (hence the removal of cameras?) and he was taken into custody. While this was going on, there was some initial confusion as to whether this guy was one of the suspects, but it became clear very quickly that he was somewhat of an innocent bystander that was in the wrong place at the wrong time, or perhaps was a looky-loo who got too close. Whatever the case, he seemed to be from the neighborhood. He was taken down to the station and quickly released. I heard at the time that he simply walked home after that.

Originally Posted by Isabelle
Makes me wonder if there was a loud noise like a vehicle backfire that caused LE to "jump the gun". Understand they were on a tight wire with no net!

Seeing as they had just removed the "Stay in Place" order, it could have even been a neighbor's storm door banging or something else equally as innocuous. Those houses are very close together. Under the circumstances, some of these officers had been on the scene for upwards to 18 hours. So many of them had five o'clock shadows and I am sure they were tired, hungry, thirsty and on-edge. Not to mention they may have been shell-shocked from the previous night. Any banging noise could have set them off.

Good point. Or, I'm thinking after reading the following article, it may have been something as simple as DT suddenly sitting up--which he did. Thompson seems to imply they went into 'training mode' and didn't have time to think. I can see how if they have guns aimed and are telling him to surrender with no response, a sudden move (sitting up) without verbal warning from the suspect could have caused trigger finger on at least ONE of those guys. That's a very, very tense situation. It could explain why he had a gunshot wounds to his hand as well as his face/head/neck--those would be the parts first exposed in this narrative. (He'd also had at least one previous gunshot wound that left a trail of blood after the earlier shootout--maybe his legs.)

Here's the article:
Transit SWAT officers arrived at the scene after Tsarnaev, who had also been wounded in the earlier gun battle, had already fired on other cops.

An FBI negotiator had convinced the accused bomber to surrender, but Thompson and other team members said they weren't sure he would do it.

"We had no idea if the boat was rigged with explosives," Patrolman Jeff Campbell said at a press conference Monday evening. "He could have done anything."

When they began moving in, they could see their target lying on his side in the boat, one leg and one arm hanging out of it, possibly unconscious.

They were about 10 to 15 yards away when Tsarnaev suddenly sat straight up.

"You don't really have time to be afraid," Sgt. Sean Reynolds recalled.

"At a time like that, training kicks in," Thompson added. "We don't have emotion going into something like that."

Thankfully, the suspect put both his hands up, and when the cops saw they were empty, they ran to him.

"We pulled him down and put the cuffs on him," said Thompson, the arresting officer of record in an operation that involved hundreds of cops over the course of the day.

Authorities say Tsarnaev had wounds to his head, neck, legs and hand.
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...cuffed-bomb-suspect-no-time-to-be-afraid?lite

But officials said there is no indication that the unidentified Customs officer provided the information to any other members of the task force, including FBI agents who had previously interviewed the militant.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...d426de-addb-11e2-8bf6-e70cb6ae066e_story.html

Looks like a fall guy has been found. jmo

Enough to legally infringe on his civil rights.

And actually it's now being said if there was a mistake (they still don't know) it was the Department of homeland security that failed to communicate, FBI did their part it was further down the line

It's easy to point fingers in hindsight, but there are laws in this country that protect people from the government infringing on our rights.

It's not as easy as it seems and the feds do hundreds of thousands of these investigations every year. They've nabbed some bad guys they've wiffed on some and will continue to do so now and then. Just part of living in the USA where we are protected from our own governments intrusion. Can't catch all the bad guys and have our privacy too.

Hopefully this incident shows them where there some holes to plug in the system and they won't miss the next one.

Do you have a link?

Bessie, please forgive as I know I'm not noodled1...but I think the above first quote is what noodled1 was referring to. I believe Customs falls under Homeland Security now.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...d426de-addb-11e2-8bf6-e70cb6ae066e_story.html

Just eight days before three people were killed and more than 260 people were injured in the Boston Marathon bombing, a Ukrainian student was arrested in New Jersey carrying two homemade devices.
Rutgers student Mykyta Panasenko, 27, was arrested in Hoboken on April 7 aboard a NJ Transit train bound for Suffern, New York. He was carrying two improvised explosive devices, according to police.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ek-Boston-Marathon-bombing.html#ixzz2RWoQK67e
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I will be one of the first people to analyze a conspiracy.... and I am not saying that I have decided firmly one way or the other as to the guilt or framing of the
Tsarnaev brothers. I will, however, step up to defend the actions of the cops the night DT was taken into custody. They were firing rubber bullets into that boat. They WANTED him alive in the worst sort of way! If he can't talk because of his alleged "throat" injury, how was he yelliing "We didn't do it"?

The video of him yelling that phrase was video a neighbor took of the first gunfire at 1 to 2 AM Friday morning (with his brother).

But, I agree with you; under the circumstances, I'll defend the actions of LE (though I think it's a miracle the kid didn't die with all that gunfire).

Hmmm... Important info.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/25/us/massachusetts-boston-bombings-latest-developments/index.html

updated 9:30 PM EDT 04.25.13
Developments in Boston bombing inquiry
By CNN Staff

Snipped:
-- "Members of the MIT community" are being asked -- at the request of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology's campus police chief and the Middlesex County district attorney's office -- to provide authorities with information related to the night of April 18, MIT administrator Israel Ruiz said in a letter posted on the school's website. Authorities have said they believe MIT police officer Sean Collier was killed that night by the suspected Boston Marathon bombers.

-- The Middlesex County District Attorney's Office hopes to bring charges against Dzhokhar Tsarnaev for his alleged role in incidents last week in Cambridge and Watertown, Massachusetts, spokeswoman Stephanie Guyotte said Thursday. Authorities have said they suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev and his late brother, Tamerlan, killed Collier in Cambridge and later were involved in a chase -- during which they allegedly throw bombs out their windows -- and shootout that ended in nearby Watertown. "We're still investigating," Guyotte said.

Snipped:
-- Russia raised concerns to U.S. authorities about Zubeidat Tsarnaev, the mother of the Boston Marathon bombings' suspects, in 2011 at the same time they asked the U.S. about her son Tamerlan, several sources told CNN.

-- Also, U.S. authorities added both the mother and son to the Terrorist Identities Datamart Environment, or TIDE, database -- a collection of more than a half million names maintained by the National Counterterrorism Center, an intelligence official said.

-- FBI agents interviewed the mother as part of the investigation into Tamerlan Tsarnaev, whose case was closed after several months.

-- Tamerlan Tsarnaev's phone number was traced to numbers that came up in two other investigations into terror suspects, according to a senator who attended classified briefings about the Boston attack investigation. The connection between Tamerlan Tsarnaev and the two other suspects was "twice removed," meaning he was in contact with people who had been in contact with the suspect, a U.S. government official said.

Wow! Thanks for this! Its an amazing link & I'm saving it to use in the future. Can't believe I never came across it before.
I'M so glad it hit you same as me --I have been going there on every BIG story and its neat!

Did you look at some of em ? if so wasnt it neat?

I can't stop looking at them. Its amazing the coverage and everyone's take on it. Again, great link. Def a keeper. Thank you again, CARIIS.

Just eight days before three people were killed and more than 260 people were injured in the Boston Marathon bombing, a Ukrainian student was arrested in New Jersey carrying two homemade devices.
Rutgers student Mykyta Panasenko, 27, was arrested in Hoboken on April 7 aboard a NJ Transit train bound for Suffern, New York. He was carrying two improvised explosive devices, according to police.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ek-Boston-Marathon-bombing.html#ixzz2RWoQK67e
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Hopefully, LE will look for any connection here and also in the Hanover, MA area where unexplained explosions were reported between March 15 and the end of the March (2013.)

(BTW, The Hanover explosives, that was another story that some reporter picked up on and reported the following day. That was just after I commented, in the middle of the night about stumbling on the original story.)

Yes, we certainly have no problem seeing that she can escalate into a raging histrionic at the drop of a camera! I firmly believe she is using this global platform, with intent, to incite agitate her cause.
And it doesnot matter if we think her beliefs are nuts - they are hers. Nor, is it like she is being covert about her feelings toward the west.

At the end of the day isn’t ALL of this about beliefs?

IMO< This is one tough cookie.

Omg there's sooo much more at that link I just have above! Here's something else...

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/25/us/massachusetts-boston-bombings-latest-developments/index.html

Snipped:
-- The mother of the Boston Marathon bombing suspects said Thursday that she'd called an ambulance to take her husband, Anzor Tsarnaev, to a hospital in the southern Russian city of Makhachkala. It was not immediately known whether Anzor Tsarnaev was ever admitted to a hospital and, if so, if he is still there.

Did you look at some of em ? if so wasnt it neat?

Sure did! I have a couple bookmarked links to other news archive sites, but some of those have limited dates or issues. Since I do a lot of research, I really appreciate new links like this!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie