Thousands flee Calif. wildfires; naval base threatened

Reader

Reaction score
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/05/03/california-wildfires/2131801/

LOS ANGELES — A fast-growing wildfire along the Pacific Coast Highway northwest of Los Angeles that has already forced thousands of residents to flee the area jumped the roadway Friday morning, threatening parts of a premier U.S. naval installation.

Firefighters on the scene radioed that Naval Base Ventura County, which is backed up to the Pacific Ocean, should be advised that flames had leapt the iconic coastal highway that was the only barrier beween the fire and the facility.

The base said on its Facebook page that the airfield at Point Mugu remained open on a mission-essential basis and had not been evacuated, but base personnel were advised to stay indoors. Photos on the site showed smoke beginning to darken the skies at midmorning, but had not yet affected the housing area............

Thousands of people have fled the area as the wildfire, which has damaged 15 homes, threatened 2,000 more and 100 businesses in its race toward Malibu.........more at link......

Nearly uncontrollable California wildfire grows, threatens 4,000 homes

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/03/us/california-wildfire/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

Los Angeles (CNN) -- A Los Angeles-area wildfire exploded from 10 acres to 18,000 acres in less than a day and a half, and threatened 4,000 homes Friday afternoon, fire authorities said.

The fire, which began Thursday morning, damaged 15 homes,15 outbuildings and five commercial properties, but none were destroyed and no one had been injured, authorities said.

Authorities ordered a mandatory evacuation Friday afternoon for the affluent Ventura County community of Hidden Valley, northwest of Los Angeles, the Ventura County Sheriff's Office said...........more...........

There are a lot of horse ranches in Hidden Valley. I hope they have them all safely evacuated. And most of those homes all lead out to Portrero Rd, which is the only way out for most of that community. I hope people take it seriously and go. It would be a hard decision, because many of those are properties worth 10 to 30 million bucks.

eta;

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-springs-fire-20130503,0,65579.story

The Hidden Valley area includes numerous luxury ranch homes, including many with stables housing horses and other animals.

Sue Martin and Coleman Trainor thought the danger has passed Shelburne Farm on Portrero Road, but then they noticed the winds change. When the neighboring ranch began evacuating animals about 2 p.m., they decided they should start to make plans for the 20 horses stabled on their own property.

Just went out to my car---ashes all over the car. Couldn't even see thru the windshield.

The smoke is visible out my living room window off in the distance...:eek:

Katy here is hoping it stays away from your home. Try to sleep when you can, but I do hope you are checking on it throughout the night.

Just went out to my car---ashes all over the car. Couldn't even see thru the windshield.

The ash is unbelievable! I had the house all closed up (no fun cooped up with a 3 yr old and 2 dogs that want to play in the yard) but the smokey smell still managed to seep in. Hoping the amazing firefighters get a handle on it tonight!!

Katy here is hoping it stays away from your home. Try to sleep when you can, but I do hope you are checking on it throughout the night.

The smoke is visible, but the flames are a long way off, over a mountain ridge. We are probably 13 to 15 miles from the Malibu edge of the fire, and 5-7 miles away from the Hidden Valley portion. But I don't think it is going to come this way, as so far it is heading west and we are east of the flames.

I am camped out on the couch right now. My DH got caught in fwy gridlock on hwy 134, in the Glendale fire today. He ended up turning around and going to his cousins house for the night. Fire central out here tonight.

The ash is unbelievable! I had the house all closed up (no fun cooped up with a 3 yr old and 2 dogs that want to play in the yard) but the smokey smell still managed to seep in. Hoping the amazing firefighters get a handle on it tonight!!

The smell is so strong. It smells like a parking lot full of tailgating BBQ's before a football game. So smoky.

I feel so much admiration for those firefighters. What a dangerous, difficult job.

I heard it might rain a little tomorrow. That would be a blessing.

Well my house feels like a shack now. Lol!

I know, right. Some of those homes are unreal. My DS used to work for Lake Sherwood Country Club, right there on Portero Rd, and it is surrounded by huge beautiful estates and horse ranches. I hope all of the animals have been safely evacuated.

Stay safe Katydid!

Scary! :eek:

fran

Thanks. This one is not as close as the one a couple of years ago. That one came so close that my eyes watered from the stinging smoke in the air, and it felt hot outside at night. It was less than a mile from our home at one point, and we had fire on three sides of our neighborhood. :what:

So this one, so far, is not scaring me as much. yet.

Katy stay safe. Do you need to evacuate?

Thinking of ya'll this morning, hoping all is well!

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...ain-helps-fire-fight-20130504,0,5786768.story

>>>snip

More residents — in Hidden Valley and off Potrero Road, in particular — were ordered to leave Friday as evacuations in Sycamore Canyon, Deer Canyon and Yerba Buena remained in effect, said Bill Nash, a Ventura County fire spokesman. Residents have been allowed to return to the Dos Vientos area and Cal State Channel Islands.

Katy stay safe. Do you need to evacuate?

No. We are not in any danger at this point. The fire is about 5 miles away and on the other side of a mountain ridge. But we have lots of ash and smoke.

I tried to get my DH to help me post pictures from my i-pad, and he is as clueless as I am. LOL

Just stopping in to check on the fire site. How close is it to your home?

Thinking of you and Katie both and hoping the fire will remain away.

I watched the news report.....things look bad! Prayers and positive wishes to you all.

Katydid, Kaliste, and all those close to the fires...I am :praying: for you!

Being in South Orange County... We have experienced these fires... Near evacuations... And viewing fire flames from our house, in years past, too...

:grouphug:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wafficer
Back