verdict watch 5/7/2013 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I have served as a juror I have come to the conclusion that a simple IQ test and simple question test should be given potential jurors during the selection process. I think they should have to be qualified to serve on a jury, period. I've seen jurors who I thought had smoked entirely too much MJ over the years and I've seen some who had absolutely no clue why they were on a jury. Some of them just had this blank look on their faces and couldn't recall even the most obviously simple evidence shown during the examinations. Some want to try the case in the juror room only they make up the evidence in their own minds. Some of them don't understand any of the instructions at all. Some of them can't even read the instructions. Think about it, these jurors are deciding actual life and death cases. Scarey.

Snipped just the last part, because that was awful. I wanted to comment on the first part of your post. I don't think an IQ test is the answer because that doesn't really tell you much about a person's reasoning skills in a jury situation. I think when the court is appointing a jury, prospective jurors should go through a basic test to see if they can properly comprehend basic legal instruction. I'm sure that would add time and cost to jury selection, but at least there would be people sitting on the jury that can understand the basic concepts of circumstancial evidence, reasonable doubt, and premeditation. Until they have enough people qualified to do that, they would not seat a jury...especially in a capital case. Just a thought, and MOO.

If there are any of our lawyers around I would love to hear from them on what they think about that.

dt4.png

Found this too

If anybody wants to bring "age" into the mix. What do do you think of TA, age 30, dating Lisa Andrews. She was 18. IMO, he was too old for her and it appears that she knew it and shined him on.

o/t but I haven't heard "shined him on" in a VERY long time lol

Wow what a time in his life to have that name. We probably talked on the same message boards during Drew Peterson saga. I am in Il too.
My niece lives in Bolingbrook and so does my Daughter-in-law's sister.
My husbands cousin's name is Scott Peterson. Right now every time I go in the shed for a shovel I think of KC and can't stand to walk past the red gas cans. Life is weird but then I was thinking of PTSD and can see how someone could suffer from a bad experiences. I really have a hard time with Jodi claiming PTSD. Her wooden spoon story is ridiculous My Mom used to say she is going to get the wooden spoon 60 yrs ago Not A Big Deal.

I heard nothing about the parents of JA that made me think they were abusive. I didn't believe the story about the dad knocking her into a wall and her passing out. If every child who had minor discipline in their life had PTSD, we would have a full society of shaking Chihuahua! (I know very well there are many abused children and I am not minimizing what they have gone through or the after affects).

My daughter (and her hubby) get so irritated about the DP connection. A month or so ago they called the auto place to see if their car was done being repaired. When the lady asked the name my daughter said Drew Peterson. TOTAL silence and then "Aren't you in jail?" LOL! Sure, I'm in jail and calling to pick up my car Einstein! :stormingmad:

I think having the media lurking and reporting every move (diet cokes, apples, smoke breaks, etc) makes it hard for courts to find jurors.
I'm in the mix for the next high profile case having received my summons last week. While I believe in doing my civic duty(I've served on a 2 week civil jury), I would not want to be labeled (and it would be blonde bombshell I'm sure, LOL) nor would I want to be watched like a hawk while I'm serving.

Um. I think we're in for another BIG disappointment. I really, really, really hope I'm wrong.

moo

i get the same feeling. i think they are going to give her a break, but she will still serve significant time, maybe 22 yrs.

I think having the media lurking and reporting every move (diet cokes, apples, smoke breaks, etc) makes it hard for courts to find jurors.
I'm in the mix for the next high profile case having received my summons last week. While I believe in doing my civic duty(I've served on a 2 week civil jury), I would not want to be labeled (and it would be blonde bombshell I'm sure, LOL) nor would I want to be watched like a hawk while I'm serving.

i get the same feeling. i think they are going to give her a break, but she will still serve significant time, maybe 22 yrs.

22 is the max for secondary charges. Not likely plus she gets 5 years off of that for time served. I think if lesser charges come in she gets about 15-17 years max with all kinds of ridiculous appeals.

Bleh.

moo

I'm not. They are probably hanging on 1-2 jurors who are more on the 2nd degree murder charge side. It might be awhile..

Anything can happen at anytime, but in the end Jodi will sit in a dark basement with no food, water, or art stuff. :stormingmad:

Um. I think we're in for another BIG disappointment. I really, really, really hope I'm wrong.

moo

I'm stopping getting invested if that happens....too many travesties. CA already had me over-cynical....but if ppl can't call a spade a spade in this obvious no-brainer then i am seriously out.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Snipped just the last part, because that was awful. I wanted to comment on the first part of your post. I don't think an IQ test is the answer because that doesn't really tell you much about a person's reasoning skills in a jury situation. I think when the court is appointing a jury, prospective jurors should go through a basic test to see if they can properly comprehend basic legal instruction. I'm sure that would add time and cost to jury selection, but at least there would be people sitting on the jury that can understand the basic concepts of circumstancial evidence, reasonable doubt, and premeditation. Until they have enough people qualified to do that, they would not seat a jury...especially in a capital case. Just a thought, and MOO.

If there are any of our lawyers around I would love to hear from them on what they think about that.

Kind of related to your post. I was talking to a lawyer about the fact that it doesn't matter whether the jury all agrees that it's felony murder or premeditated murder so long as they all agree that it's murder 1. He said that, iho, it doesn't matter since the jury will never buy the felony murder rationale in this case because it won't make logical sense. He said it was an argument and jury charge only a lawyer could love and think was a great lol

moo

I had a very strong feeling last Friday that it would not be a fast verdict return and also that the verdict would be manslaughter. I also hope I am wrong. That would mean a complete breakdown of the criminal justice system especially after the Florida travesty.

Thinking about the dynamics of the jury. The ages span several generations. I wonder how understanding social media is for the older generations is playing out. A jury of your peers literally meant just that. Now that really makes no sense looking at such a diverse jury. I guess finding a jury of her peers would be impossible!

Listening to HLN and JA voice in these clips really bugs me. Lol

I'm stopping getting invested if that happens....too many travesties. CA already had me over-cynical....but if ppl can't call a spade a spade in this obvious no-brainer then i am seriously out.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Me too. :banghead:

I've had enough of this carp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads