MI MI - Jessica Heeringa, 25, Norton Shores, 26 April 2013 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure this has been mentioned and I missed it but I wonder if this station was targeted because he knew there was no camera?

I'm sure this has been mentioned and I missed it but I wonder if this station was targeted because he knew there was no camera?

Thanks for your post. It's been discussed loads here bonnie blue early on in the case. He must have known their was no cameras the question is how he knew. Did he check the place out? Did Jessica or someone tell him their was no cameras? I don't know if it was common knowledge in the community that their was no cameras otherwise the place would have been robbed or had gas stolen repeatedly. The Exxon is not the only gas station in the area not to have cameras according to the police chief.

Thanks for your post. It's been discussed loads here bonnie blue early on in the case. He must have known their was no cameras the question is how he knew. Did he check the place out? Did Jessica or someone tell him their was no cameras? I don't know if it was common knowledge in the community that their was no cameras otherwise the place would have been robbed or had gas stolen repeatedly. The Exxon is not the only gas station in the area not to have cameras according to the police chief.

BBM...Without knowing who abducted Jessica, it really is impossible to know for certain if he knew there were no cameras at the Exxon station. I think many, if not most of us assume that if the perp was someone at least on some level known to Jessica (LE seems to believe this), then it is very possible that he had been in the store before and/or may have known that there were no cameras. On the other hand, he may have had no idea whether there were cameras or not. We have no idea if the abduction began inside or outside of the store. We don't even know if the abductor ever even entered the store. We also cannot ascertain whether the abduction occurred in front of the store or out back, though at least one report says the blood was found behind the store. If the abduction took place behind the station, imo, it is still unlikely that any camera installed would have been pointed in that direction. I would think cameras would most likely cover the cash register area of the interior and gas pump area of the outside. It is possible that the perp was just fortunate that there were no cameras available to capture his activities at the station. I am sure we all agree that we wish there had been cameras there, although that even does not guarantee that the abduction would not have occurred. JMO

BBM...Without knowing who abducted Jessica, it really is impossible to know for certain if he knew there were no cameras at the Exxon station. I think many, if not most of us assume that if the perp was someone at least on some level known to Jessica (LE seems to believe this), then it is very possible that he had been in the store before and/or may have known that there were no cameras. On the other hand, he may have had no idea whether there were cameras or not. We have no idea if the abduction began inside or outside of the store. We don't even know if the abductor ever even entered the store. We also cannot ascertain whether the abduction occurred in front of the store or out back, though at least one report says the blood was found behind the store. If the abduction took place behind the station, imo, it is still unlikely that any camera installed would have been pointed in that direction. I would think cameras would most likely cover the cash register area of the interior and gas pump area of the outside. It is possible that the perp was just fortunate that there were no cameras available to capture his activities at the station. I am sure we all agree that we wish there had been cameras there, although that even does not guarantee that the abduction would not have occurred. JMO

You make very valid points maybe the perp thought there was cameras inside near the cash desk.

Like many of you I don't think cameras would have stopped him if he wanted Jessica he would have found a way to get her. The perp is one of the luckiest perps because there is virtually no evidence of him being near the gas station at all. All we know is Jessica is missing, it wasn't a robbery and there was a small amount of Jessica's blood outside.

I wonder what the other employees are thinking about the case. Has one of the regulars not been in the station for a while?

Well, just to investigate how OTHER gas-stations work, I went right down the road from my house. And although the camera was at a stupid angle (pointing almost straight upward) there was a camera on the building pointed at walking area towards the dumpster. (probably to prevent illegal access to the dumpster and monitor smoke breaks.) I'd seen employees perched by the back steps (away from the camera) smoking before; but I never put any thought to the camera angle until today.

Look at how many people hold up banks (lots here in NM) and they know perfectly well they are on camera. There seems to be bank video at least monthly out here on the news with a pretty good photo of the robber and they are often identified within a few days. Yet still, people do it.

Look at how many people hold up banks (lots here in NM) and they know perfectly well they are on camera. There seems to be bank video at least monthly out here on the news with a pretty good photo of the robber and they are often identified within a few days. Yet still, people do it.

Yea, I bet if the guy was wearing a ski mask, we had 14 cameras, he walked with a fake limp, tinkled on the floor and disguised his voice, we'd have him by now. I'm just as irritated as you all are..trust me. JMO

I have not seen this posted on websleuths and it might be useful. Jessica was wearing a black jumper(according to her partner)with her blue station shirt over it. She had on blue jeans and high heeled boots. And an overcoat as well.

Profilers plan to assist in search for woman missing from West Michigan gas station

Jessica Heeringa missing since April 26 from Norton Shores

Published On: May 13 2013 10:50:42 AM EDT

NORTON SHORES, Mich. -
State police profilers plan to assist in the search for a 25-year-old woman who disappeared from her job at a West Michigan gas station last month...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...tion/-/1719418/20121456/-/812h5n/-/index.html

May 13, 2013 at 10:30 am

Police profilers to assist in missing Norton Shores clerk case

By Associated Press

Norton Shores — State police profilers plan to assist in the search for a 25-year-old woman who disappeared from her job at a West Michigan gas station last month.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130513/METRO/305130394#ixzz2TBb6P1DG

This is my first time on Web sleuths- can someone who is a "Experienced Sleuth" when an investigation goes as this one is (little police activity and seemingly very little to go on) what happens next? How long until Jessica fades to the back burner? It makes me so sad for her family and beyond fearful for her, wherever she is....

This is my first time on Web sleuths- can someone who is a "Experienced Sleuth" when an investigation goes as this one is (little police activity and seemingly very little to go on) what happens next? How long until Jessica fades to the back burner? It makes me so sad for her family and beyond fearful for her, wherever she is....

I don't know if that is correct about little police activity.... in many cases there is a lot going on behind the scenes that the general public is not privy to, including the police chief, so as not to compromise the integrity of the case.
I don't think anyone can guess when Jessica "fades to the back burner", as she is in the media on a daily basis, so there is a lot of interest in her case, whether it be LE or the public. I, too, am sad for Jessica and her family and friends. I pray that she is safe and found soon.

It is difficult to say...but without a break in a case, many seem to lose steam in less than a month. Police have other,newer cases, tips stop coming in. It really depends on whether evidence was left behind by the perp that may lead to him. This case has more info than most, in having a vehicle description and witnesses who believe they saw the man. So maybe there will be a break.

Comments on this board are drying up. Not much else can be said until more information and clues come in. I sure hope Chief Shaw has:

1. Scoured all video surveillance of the potential routes the van traveled including fast food restaurants, costco, walmart, hardware stores etc. Places the perp could have went that day.
2. Scoured all potential RSO in MI and surrounding states with the eyewitness.
3. I would revisit the eyewitness to make sure the description was accurate of the perp, conisder hypnosis to uncover lost details.
4. Reach out to the public. If anyone was driving near the gas station around the time of the abduction to call police. Especially the driver of the dark SUV in front of the van.
5. Contacted all rental storage facilities for video surveillance and to stake out.

other?

Where are you getting that there is so little police activity? Just curious, because I don't get that impression. They are no doubt doing many things behind the scenes where the public never sees it going on.

And as far as how little they have to go on, they could have more than they're saying to us, and that's for a good reason. They do have to keep some things from the public to prevent false confessions from pouring in and wasting their time.

I think their main priority right now is finding Jessica, and/or the perp, and from all I've read, they are doing everything possible. I wish people would have more faith in them. Not directed at you personally, I see that kind of thing said all the time, not just from newbies.

I would think 2-3 weeks is way too quick for a case to be pushed aside, and believe me, LE have still worked on cases that are years old. Their priority is finding Jessica, so let's please have a little faith in them.

So frustrating. I honestly believe that they will find her if/when they begin ground searches, and the outcome won't be good. Prayers that I am wrong.

Comments on this board are drying up. Not much else can be said until more information and clues come in. I sure hope Chief Shaw has:

1. Scoured all video surveillance of the potential routes the van traveled including fast food restaurants, costco, walmart, hardware stores etc. Places the perp could have went that day.
2. Scoured all potential RSO in MI and surrounding states with the eyewitness.
3. I would revisit the eyewitness to make sure the description was accurate of the perp, conisder hypnosis to uncover lost details.
4. Reach out to the public. If anyone was driving near the gas station around the time of the abduction to call police. Especially the driver of the dark SUV in front of the van.
5. Contacted all rental storage facilities for video surveillance and to stake out.

other?

Comments are slowing down here, but that is to be expected after a while with little new information being released, as any WS veteran will tell you. Until we have more to consider, we pretty much have hashed, rehashed and hashed again every bit of information we have been given. Just because people are not commenting in the larger numbers that they were a week ago does not mean that anyone has lost interest or is not checking here regularly. This happens in almost every case I have followed here. I recall in the Mickey Shunick case, which had a very large following initially, we had reached a point after about six weeks when there were probably thirty people that were still on the thread everyday, and comments were few and far between, and often were just complaints that we weren't getting any new info, or else they veered off topic. There was just nothing to be said that had not been said over and over. Then, almost out of the blue, an arrest was made, and literally within an hour there were probably 400 people on the thread, including guests. I promise you, whenever there is new information or any kind of break in the case, everyone will be back. JMO

ETA I still check a thread daily for a person who has been missing for over a year near my city. Often, days will pass with barely a comment, but I know there are many of us that still check in regularly.

Fox 17 news has reported that movie theaters in the area where Jessica was abducted are showing a poster before each film. The poster has jessica's picture, the silver van, and the drawing of the suspected abductor. This should bring in more tips!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288