Amanda Berry, Gina deJesus & Michelle Knight FOUND! #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right. I think police picked them up on the old warrants just so they'd know where they were if it turned out the brothers were involved, before they'd have a chance to run.

I've read reports that Pedro was arrested at his mother's home, where he was sleeping off a drinking binge and that Onil was arrested at his home, and I've also read that they were both with Ariel when he was arrested. I don't know which version is true.

Actually they didn't even have a choice on whether to arrest them or not. When they ran a check and the warrants came back, they had to arrest them. They should have made it more clear to the media though, that they arrested the brothers on unrelated charges.

I thought about the lock and the basement door and one of my fears have always been that someone would break in through the basement windows at night. I could see myself having a lock on my basement door. As far as extra locks on the front or back doors, it could be explained away as living in a bad neighborhood or maybe the person is a bit overly cautious than others.

Like I said before, I just don't think that anyone thinks that anyone, especially someone they know, would ever do anything like this and it's extremely rare.

If his own family never suspected anything, then that's very telling. There was no opportunities for the family to snoop around his house. If they would have called the police and said hey, I think it's weird that my father, neighbor, etc. has all these looks on their doors, the police would not have found that alone to be suspicious enough to follow up on.

What can we do based on suspicion alone? LE has to have probable cause to enter a home.

I agree. Ive read a lot of LE bashing (not here) and I think that's not really fair. They rely on tips and interviewing family members, but none of them had a clue it was Ariel. And I don't for a minute think anyone in the family would protect Ariel over an innocent girl.

Also, the reports of people saying that they called police etc..... IMO, they are maybe saying that to reporters not realizing that those things can be checked. The call about the naked woman, I read that they admit they never called. And there was one where they were called, LE knocked on the door 20 times, and nobody answered. Well, unless the cops hear or see something, they aren't going to break in. Like you said, no probable cause. Even if a neighbor hears something, unless the cops witness it and suspect imminent danger, they wont enter.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

The perp in Aliana Lemmons case plead guilty. Can't think of his name right now. They don't really allow them to immediately go up there and plead guity because it could come back and work against the prosecution. He tried but they interrupted him and put in a initial not guilty plea in for him. lol

Well there you go. That shows how hard it is to plead guilty in this country. They only way anybody really pleads guilty, is if it is part of a plea bargain.

i really dont see what defense he could possibly have.. he cant pull a Shaggy and say "it wasnt me".. The have 3 girls corroborating stories, aswell as DNA of little J, and ample phyiscal evidence inside the house and in the girls health. plus the "suicide diary"

we may see a guilty plea on a few of the charges, and not guilty on some of the others, if that is allowed. Especially if they add any murder charges

Unfortunately I think he will have to plead guilty, or not guilty on all the charges. His lawyer will convince him to plead not guilty.

Do you have some examples of which ones have pleaded guilty?

One case I was thinking of is Austin Sigg in Colorado. He confessed to the murder. His words "I Murdered Jessica Ridgeway. I Have Proof That I Did It". He was on record as saying that he wanted to plead guilty, and get it over with as quickly as possible. Then after a few months of his lawyers working on him, they convinced him to plead not guilty. Now they are fighting the charges tooth and nail.

Lawyers can't make much money by having their clients plead guilty. Thats why they will come up with the stupidest of defenses, just so they can drag the proceedings out and make a lot of money. Our legal system is based on how much money the lawyers can make.

Micheal Devlin (the man who kidnapped Shawn Horbeck).
Also Phillip Garrido (the man who kidnapped Jaycee Dugard).

Still bothers me that IF what was reported re: Gina stating that Castro was there with them and then came back...why Arlene didn't mention it in her interview with AMW ~ but that she did tell LE that they were with her step-father.

I am very curious as well. Still think police should have figured it out.
Step father questioned. Father never questioned.

There were conflicting reports about the whereabouts of the brothers at the time of Ariel's arrest. A couple of the secondary reports said Onil was actually with Ariel at the McDonald's. According to those reports, when approached by LE, Ariel said words to the effect that "if you're looking for Pedro, he's at our mother's house".

I had to kind of laugh at that part. Hey, you don't want me, you want my brother. LOL.

It does kind of show his state of mind though. He was wondering why he was being arrested. Apparently it never crossed his mind that they were actually after Ariel.

Agree with this 1000%. The sketch looks a lot like Castro too, to be honest. You'd figure the daughter, the mother, or anyone would maybe go like "hey, that guy looks like Ariel!" It's just crazy to me.

It does look a lot like Ariel Castro. Has it ever been reported who witnessed the abduction? How did that sketch come about?

Well there you go. That shows how hard it is to plead guilty in this country. They only way anybody really pleads guilty, is if it is part of a plea bargain.

It is ridiculous that the laws appear to work in the favor of criminals at times. The last thing anybody wants is for these monsters to be able to go back and appeal their sentence saying they didn't have proper counsel or a number of other things. So, the lengthy process begins.

It took a while to go through the motion of convicting Aliahna Lemmons killer but there was no trial or anything like that. If they go for the death penalty then they have to go through the process of appointing him a attorney that is certified in trying a death penalty case. Then there is the cost and appeal process that is involved in death penalty cases that is ridiculous. So many don't ever actually make it to execution. The hope is to ask for death and plea it to LWOP.

I think there is a good chance in this case that we won't have to see it go to trial.

Micheal Devlin (the man who kidnapped Shawn Horbeck).
Also Phillip Garrido (the man who kidnapped Jaycee Dugard).

Thanks, I wasn't familiar with Micheal Devlin. That does sound like a case where his lawyers just decided that there was no possible defense, and told him to just plead guilty.

Phillip Garrido's case was a bit more complicated. I believe that was a plea bargain situation.

Anyway I think it is very rare for anybody to just plead guilty. Lawyers will do anything to convince their clients not to do it.

I really hope I'm wrong, but I just don't foresee Castro pleading guilty.

There were some misdemeanor charges agains them. That's why police were able to take them in custody.

Ah thank you that explains it!

Well it was said, I will need to look where, that AC immediately made a statement about where his brothers were on his arrest as if maybe to pretend he didn't know what it was about and was inventing some other story on the spot, dragging someone down would make it less of a blow or make him temporarily feel less responsible, or provide a distraction of some sort, like a kid saying "he did it" -I dunno.

Then I read elsewhere that they were all together, so conflicting reports:

"Tomba further clarified that the two brothers were taken into custody because they were with their brother at the time of his arrest. The brothers will appear in court this morning, but on charges unrelated to the case."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/05/0...idnapping-case-prosecutor-says/#ixzz2T7Q0ONUo

Maybe this version is the right one: "According to television station WKYC, Onil was with his brother Ariel in a McDonald’s parking lot Monday when police approached. “After they were handcuffed, Onil Castro asked police if this was about his brother, Pedro. ‘If so, he’s over at our mom’s house on Hyde Avenue,’” Onil said, according to the WKYC report. Pedro was arrested shortly after."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...others-arrested-in-cleveland/article11819255/

Thank you so much for this! I hadn't read it and now understand why the brothers were involved.

Actually they didn't even have a choice on whether to arrest them or not. When they ran a check and the warrants came back, they had to arrest them. They should have made it more clear to the media though, that they arrested the brothers on unrelated charges.

BBM I agree with you on this. Although I have to say the media needs to start getting right and stop with the conflicting reports because there have been a lot it seems.

Well, we will hear words from the two brothers on Monday when CNN airs their interview. If rumor had it right - the brothers are so messed up that they don't even know their own live let alone their brother's - I don't expect anything informative.

I just can't see the similarities between the sketch and Castro. To me, the sketch looks like a guy with a long thin face, long thin nose, reasonably large eyes and thin eyebrows. Castro has a round pudgy face, short thick nose and puffy slit eyes. The facial hair is the only similarity I see and ten years ago, probably every second guy was sporting that look. I wouldn't have picked him as being a possible for the sketch at all.

He got out and about a lot. And he was in a local band. Participated in community events. He would have been recognizable to a lot of people from the community. And while Cleveland is bigger, it is divided in many communities. Due to distance and financial status, most people in a community tend to shop at the same stores. For instance if they are going to Walmart they don't go to the other side of Cleveland to go shopping. They shop the closest one.

I think you answered how he bought things without being seen by those in his community and social circles, though. In larger cities communities do tend to stay more "internal." So if someone wants to shop without being seen by those they know, they simply go into another nearby area or community where they don't know anyone.

As for McD... go through the drive thru. The person working the counter doesn't care who you're taking it to, and nobody else will notice what you're buying. You could even eat inside and then go through the drive thru after. I've done that when meeting someone for a snack, and taking food to someone else- usually different people working the counter and the drive thru, so they don't even notice.

I just doubt it was that hard for him to avoid suspicion especially in a bigger city. He had options, and he could always claim buying things for his kids. My dad buys stuff for me and my kids and nobody assumes he may actually be holding captives, you know?

No way to know this for sure, but if they had occasional access to tv, they might have seen commercials about the Kardashians, or iPhones, or President Obama.

:)

I don't remember where I saw it, but I recall that they were shown tv programs
about anniversary vigils of their disappearances, people looking for them, etc. I hope that occasionally AC forgot and left the tv on.

I keep thinking abt the girls. All the things they have to experience in life. First plane, boat, train rides, visits to the ocean, Disney and the rest of the theme parks, great cities to see, Christmas shopping, learn to drive, vote, concerts, nightclubs, just a whole big world out there waiting for them. If a movie comes out I hope it includes their new life and how they discovered the world around them.

No way to know this for sure, but if they had occasional access to tv, they might have seen commercials about the Kardashians, or iPhones, or President Obama.

:)

I don't remember where I saw it, but I recall that they were shown tv programs
about anniversary vigils of their disappearances, people looking for them, etc. I hope that occasionally AC forgot and left the tv on.

very curious about all that as well, Is it like walking out of a time capsule? how much were they aware of? were they able to watch tv while hes out? was amanda able to watch alot more because of Little J? what do they know of facebook and twitter. current music trends..

so many questions.. and not many answers any time soon.

does anyone know the law about televised court in ohio? being canadian im really not sure how it works down there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288