NJ NJ - Newark, BlkFem 30-50, UP11246, on riverbank, distinctive jewelry, Apr'13

Donjeta

Adji Desir, missing from Florida
Reaction score
This is a 30-50 year old female of unknown race, 140 pounds, 64 inches. Body found in Passaic River, Newark, New Jersey. Postmortem interval is at least 2 weeks. Had thermal underwear, 4 distinctive necklaces and a watch.

The jewelry is so distinctive and there is such a lot of it I think people who knew her would definitely remember them and it seems to me like the red, yellow, and the green might mean something. I first thought a reggae fan when I saw them but I guess it might be flag colors. Several countries with that color scheme:
List of countries by colors of national flags - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A bigger image available on the Namus site.
Not listed in the Namus entry but there also seems to be an earring of the pierced type.

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/11246

Countries with National Flags of Red, Green, & Yellow:
Benin
Bolivia
Burkina Faso
Cameroon
Republic of Congo
Grenada
Guinea
Lithuania
Mali
Senegal

And here's a photo of one Lithuanian style cross

Attachments

• cross1 (1).jpg
    cross1 (1).jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 77
Could she be Bolivian? The colors match the Bolivian flag. Other countries with those colors seem to be African countries.

I excluded Lithuania based on the pattern of the colors, but the cross really resembles that of the UID.

I think the crosses may be coptic:

Copts are primarily from Egypt & Sudan but Canada & the US hold the largest of the diaspora.

Attachments

• copil_fullxfull.343957406.jpg
    copil_fullxfull.343957406.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 29
  • copticil_570xN.434373570_68dz.jpg
    copticil_570xN.434373570_68dz.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 27
Using google images, the closest set of google images to the pictured pendants I can find involves the search words... ethiopian brass coptic cross pendants

A check of wikipedia indicates that the ethiopian flag is red, green, yellow and blue. The blue is in the central emblem which has changed several times over the years, the red,yellow and green have remained constant.

I think we may have an Ethiopian Copt here.

Edited to add: Looks like Tamar was doing pretty much the same searches I was at the same time!

Red gold and green "rasta" shoelaces I think rasta is short for rastafarian

Attachments

• rasta-shoelaces-red-gold-GREEN.jpg
    rasta-shoelaces-red-gold-GREEN.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 65
Here is the picture from reasypeasy!

Attachments

• ethiopian coptic cross necklace.jpg
    ethiopian coptic cross necklace.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 79
Yep. Rasta shoelaces. Ethiopian Coptic cross.

I think it's safe to look for a person of African descent, starting with Ethiopians and Jamaicans. (Rastafarians believe that the former Emperor of Ethiopia, Haile Selassie was the incarnation of God. This was because of a prophecy by Marcus Garvey. The religion started in Jamaica.)

Here is someone selling a very similar piece. (Well, it was sold in Feb.) http://www.etsy.com/listing/104145769/ethiopian-coptic-cross

Necco, it couldn't hurt to contact the Etsian. Just explain the situation.

I just sent it while I still had the nerve. I'll let you know if I hear back.

The watch looks similar to a multi-functional diver's watch, and if that is the case, then maybe this UI lived near water, or had activities pertaining to water?

The thermal underwear coupled with the watch and distinctive necklaces, could mean that this UI was indigenous to a warmer climate, where wearing thermals are not necessary, and the necklaces are indicative of perhaps the area of where she lived, like maybe from the islands, with a diver's type of watch.
People that are used to a warmer climate, can tend to "freeze" in a colder climate, so maybe it was necessary to wear thermals given that this UI might not be used to colder climates, or was a homeless person, so this UI would be out in the elements, or this UI was traveling a distance, so needed to stay warm in the elements.

I apologize for this being my 4th post in a row.
I just looked up thermal underwear when sailing and this is the information that I read

In cold weather, thermal underwear is always worn beneath drysuits and dinghy suits. Using [ stretch fleece materials ] that are light and quick drying when wet, such as Polartec, which enables layers of internal warmth to be built up with minimal bulk. When used with a breathable outer suit, they draw perspiration away from the body and dissipates it rather than being trapped on the surface of the skin becoming cold leaving the wearer feeling clammy and wet.

http://www.working-the-sails.com/sailing_clothing_and_footwear.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McKeith
Back