Penalty Phase - Verdict Watch #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless my memory fails me, not once has juror8 ever said such a thing.

So either Drew let something slip that was off the record elsewhere or the OP is spreading unsubstantiated rumours. Either way, it's unforgivable, IMO.

Dr. Drew was speaking about HIS jurors that are the show nightly, that are HIS court watchers. He was NOT talking about Juror #8. HTH.

What the jury actually asked (forgive me if this has been previously posted):

http://www.azcentral.com/community/m...eadlocked.html

'The jury sent a handwritten note on an official question form to the judge. It said: “If the jury is unable to come to a unanimous decision @ this stage, do we notify the judge of this on the form (verdict) or do we just tell the judge her instruction on the bottom P. 10 on the final jury Instruction-Penalty phase?”

It was signed by juror No.18.'

I just read this as well and it sure changes the tone of the conversation substantially. I think we're still on the right track.

There's no reason for this Jury to hang. But the DP people will have to come down to life. Because anyone who wants life is not going to budge.

So I predict life or hung jury.

IMO

In Canada we don't have the option of a death penalty...
When I used to debate I always took the anti DP stance...
Always...
Then I was a victim of a horrible crime...and there was no remorse from the killers....
None...zero....

Like Jodi...

When I used to be anti DP I was not intimate with the gut wrenching pain/ the shattered lives and total loss of innocence and care freeness that those who have experienced a brutal awful theft of a cherished and innocent loved ones life feel....

The numbing reality of a sweet, dear one taken away forever by the selfish, evil acts of those that do not care...
Certain people cannot be rehabilitated- ever...
...certain people should not be shown any mercy.....ever....
Jodi is one of these...she is evil personified....
A small space and little interaction on death row is even too much...

I know I use humour often and I love and cherish all of you who understand...life does go on...I don't want the killers to win by making me forever bitter...
Our girl will be forever 20...Travis will be forever 30...they both died in 2008...

Jodi has already had 5 more years...
Jodi doesn't deserve another day....
She just doesn't....
And if she does have another day I pray that it will be a lonely, desolate cell on Death Row...
This is how and why I feel...
Come on Jury....

:hug: + :beats: to you, basil!

Juror #18 is the foreperson?

Tomato, I think people are guessing it's him if he signed a written question to the Judge.

FWIW, here is the description of Juror #18 from the "observation" thread, for those who are interested;

18.The Artist-Bald, attractive, glasses, 50's-60's, large build, holds his notebook on a binder as if he's going to sketch. He looks around the gallery a lot. I thought we met eyes a couple of times, but who knows, that room is so huge!
This guy also had a very intense gaze. He took some notes. He rubbed his face and tapped his fingers to his lips a lot. He wasn't the only one doing stuff like that, but I'll get into that in my notes

In Canada we don't have the option of a death penalty...
When I used to debate I always took the anti DP stance...
Always...
Then I was a victim of a horrible crime...and there was no remorse from the killers....
None...zero....

Like Jodi...

When I used to be anti DP I was not intimate with the gut wrenching pain/ the shattered lives and total loss of innocence and care freeness that those who have experienced a brutal awful theft of a cherished and innocent loved ones life feel....

The numbing reality of a sweet, dear one taken away forever by the selfish, evil acts of those that do not care...
Certain people cannot be rehabilitated- ever...
...certain people should not be shown any mercy.....ever....
Jodi is one of these...she is evil personified....
A small space and little interaction on death row is even too much...

I know I use humour often and I love and cherish all of you who understand...life does go on...I don't want the killers to win by making me forever bitter...
Our girl will be forever 20...Travis will be forever 30...they both died in 2008...

Jodi has already had 5 more years...
Jodi doesn't deserve another day....
She just doesn't....
And if she does have another day I pray that it will be a lonely, desolate cell on Death Row...
This is how and why I feel...
Come on Jury....

((((basilcat))))

Can anyone confirm that only the foreperson can submit questions or that the foreperson must sign questions for the judge?

It is my understanding that questions can be signed by either the juror asking the question or the foreperson.

which one is jurior 18?

18.The Artist-Bald, attractive, glasses, 50's-60's, large build, holds his notebook on a binder as if he's going to sketch. He looks around the gallery a lot. I thought we met eyes a couple of times, but who knows, that room is so huge!
This guy also had a very intense gaze. He took some notes. He rubbed his face and tapped his fingers to his lips a lot. He wasn't the only one doing stuff like that, but I'll get into that in my notes

They were and they deliberated over the course of four days before agreeing on death.

Thank you for confirming! I believe justice will prevail. Prayer supersedes evil. Many of us praying for this family from the depths of our hearths.

After seeing the nice photos of the working conditions of prisoners from the end of the last thread...I am outraged. The only jobs they should have are hard labor or recycling garbage!!!

PLEASE READ THIS AND BREEEEEAAAATHE
http://www.azcentral.com/community/mesa/free/20130522jodi-arias-jury-deadlocked.html

The jury sent a handwritten note on an official question form to the judge. It said: “If the jury is unable to come to a unanimous decision @ this stage, do we notify the judge of this on the form (verdict) or do we just tell the judge her instruction on the bottom P. 10 on the final jury Instruction-Penalty phase?”

Anyone remember offhand who juror 18 is? (Which nickname?) That presumably is the foreperson, since this article says the note was signed by juror 18.

I heard the proceeding, and the judge said it was her understanding that they could not come to an agreement. I'm not the only one that heard it that way...no IF they could not agree but that they could not agree. Apparently at least some in the media heard it the way I did:

"After two hours of deliberations, the jury in the Jodi Arias trial informed Judge Sherry Stephens Wednesday that they were unable to reach a unanimous verdict on whether Jodi Arias should live or die -- but the convicted murderer could still get the death penalty."
http://www.hlntv.com/article/2013/05/22/what-happens-if-jodi-arias-jury-hung-0

The "what happens if" part is a media question, not what the jury asked.

I see people are still under the impression that this jury can decide the death penalty or life. Nope. They decide the death penalty, or they are hung. That is their only decision to make. If hung, another jury comes in, we go through this whole penalty dog and pony show again (even more so, as the new jury has to hear all the circumstances). Then that jury deliberates. THEN and only THEN if that second jury cannot agree on death does it go to the judge to decide life without parole or life with the possibility of parole.

If anyone has any doubt...you can listen to it again here-->

[video=youtube;bXvcrEx9T7Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXvcrEx9T7Y[/video]

I totally agree!

Plus, I think LWOP (there is no way the judge will give her LWP) is justice for Travis. She will never see the light of day and the more I think about it, the more I think she is much more likely to be beaten up in prison than be the Queen Bee...she's far too arrogant.

My heart breaks for the Alexanders though if she doesn't get the DP. I know that's what they want.

BBM

Jodi will soon learn that life in County Jail is a Country Club compared to life in Maximum Security PRISON.

I saw the clip with JA reiterates that she doesn't know if she would have turned herself in and the interviewer was talking about how brutally honest she was being. JA was not being honest at all. She had no intention of ever turning herself in or admitting that she killed Travis. None. She had 6 weeks to turn herself in and she didn't and when she was arrested she continued to lie about being there. If she had ever considered turning herself in it was the perfect opportunity to confess. JA thought she would never be caught and if that happened she certainly wasn't about to turn herself in.

:floorlaugh:Male. Why do I feel like a Mouseketeer?

Because Sleuthy, you are old enough to be a Mouseketeer!! Cute poocher!! I love tri-color Cardigan Corgis, and Beagles and JR Terriers and..well heck, I love em all!

There's no reason for this Jury to hang. But the DP people will have to come down to life. Because anyone who wants life is not going to budge.

So I predict life or hung jury.

IMO

It happened in the Wendi Andriano case. The hold out ended up changing his mind. Truth is, none of us can predict what will happen with this jury. :twocents:

I am somewhat confused or am not paying attention, can someone clarify?

If JA gets LWOP, does she still get 25 years and then is eligibe for parole under a new rule? I am reading conflicting reports regarding this issue, as JA would be eligible for parole after 20 years as she has already service 5 if she received LWOP. I made a statement earlier that I would have preferred a hung jury if this woman can be eligible for parole after 20 years because of this reasoning, she should never be allowed to be a free woman ever.

I prefer the DP, but I hope this all ends soon, if she can get LWOP and live the rest of her natural life in prison then so be it, the Alexander family can possibly have some measure of closure and never have to hear/see/look at this psychopath ever again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member