GUILTY NC - Melissa Huggins-Jones, 30, murdered in her Raleigh home, 14 May 2013

Investigators said a link was established between the homicide and "certain property crimes in the area," but they would not elaborate.

According to police records, however, there were four car break-ins in the Ramblewood subdivision next to the apartments on the morning Huggins-Jones was found.

After being released in January from prison, where he served time for receiving a stolen vehicle, Smith had been placed on a post-release supervision program. After failing to comply with the terms of the release, he was put on house arrest Feb. 28.

When he failed to wear a required ankle bracelet, a warrant for his arrest was issued April 16. They were unable to locate him until Tuesday.

Unreal.

http://www.wral.com/three-charged-with-murder-in-north-raleigh-mom-s-death/12471595/

22381544_BG2.jpg

These "people" allegedly beat Melissa to death and have been charged with her murder. Speechless.

I am anxious to find out what it was that was worth taking her life.

I realize our state is broke, but when someone absconds, I want to start seeing their face on the news the day it happens. I know many probation officers that do a great job. I feel sad for the one in charge of Smith.

Another horrific example of prisoner's sentences reduced! It is evident that Smith bucked the system from the day he was let out in January and did not cooperate. Throw him back in jail, don't put an ankle bracelet on him! He has shown he is not following directions/rules, so why think that bracelet will slow him down?

One has to wonder just how hard LE was looking for him with all the work they have? IMO not too hard as they knew it was just a matter of time before he would commit another crime. It's a shame it was murder of an innocent young mother!

Okay fellow sleuthers, I was wrong!

In the beginning of this case when the discussion was the car break-ins and this murder, I said it was two different type of people who do these things. I was most definite they were not linked! As a rule, that is true, but it is obvious in this case, it is WRONG.

So I admit my mistake. I am human and do make mistakes and do admit them!! The most important fact is the murders were caught.

Okay fellow sleuthers, I was wrong!

In the beginning of this case when the discussion was the car break-ins and this murder, I said it was two different type of people who do these things. I was most definite they were not linked! As a rule, that is true, but it is obvious in this case, it is WRONG.

So I admit my mistake. I am human and do make mistakes and do admit them!! The most important fact is the murders were caught.

You formed an early opinion based on statistics and past life experiences and observations, and your opinion was valid, if not correct in this instance. If you follow enough of these cases, eventually there will be one that goes against statistics. That is one of the things that must make an investigator's job so very difficult at times.

Along those same lines, many people here immediately pointed the finger in the direction of the ex-hubby for the same reason. This poor lady is no less dead, and her murder is no less tragic, but I am so thankful that in this case, it apparently was not the ex. Their poor kids have already lost one parent. At least now they won't lose both. JMO

my guess is going to be that the female was used as the bait with some cooked up story of car trouble or drama or need to call police or ride. When Melissa opened the door to her, the others rushed forward, forcing their way into the apartment.

I can only imagine her fear as she was being attacked - fear that they might also kill her daughter. Did she try to die quietly in hopes her daughter would not be roused? Did she fight and struggle worried what might happen to her daughter if they discovered her sleeping down the hall?

Just awful. That poor young woman. It is reprehensible. For what? Stuff? Money? A TV.

This makes me weep-the fact that her daughter was in the apt when this happened is unconscionable. For what? What could they have gained from this? They'll surely burn in hell for their actions, but it can't erase what happened...most likely, there are 3 more mothers, who can't understand how their child could perpetrate this kind of crime- a nightmare they're waking up to....

Noticed that the woman was handcuffed, the two men were not. Why would that be? Is she considered more dangerous?

What else struck me is that Smith is such a normal looking, friendly looking guy imo. It just makes it all the more frightening that seemingly anybody can turn into a murderer. moo

A few times the camera focussed on a lady sitting on the side, she was close to tears. Is that Melissa's mother?

This looks like one of those situations where LE may use at least one of them (the girl perhaps) to nail the actual murderer. I could see some sort of plea. Usually you get that when you have multiple suspects like this. The mother of the 18 year old is obviously going through some serious denial and I don't blame her. You never think your child is capable of something like this.

Noticed that the woman was handcuffed, the two men were not. Why would that be? Is she considered more dangerous?

What else struck me is that Smith is such a normal looking, friendly looking guy imo. It just makes it all the more frightening that seemingly anybody can turn into a murderer. moo

A few times the camera focussed on a lady sitting on the side, she was close to tears. Is that Melissa's mother?

I believe the news reported that the woman is Redden's mother.

Redden seemed to have an "attitude" IMO. While the 2 guys appeared to act respectful (saying "ma'am"' etc.), Redden was different. Just my observation. I'm not inclined to feel sorry for her because she's the youngest and female. Who knows what the dynamics were between them?

(And sorry to be snarky, but what's up with the judge referring to them as ma'am and sir, and saying "thank you" to these people? "Dismissed" seems more fitting.)

I believe the news reported that the woman is Redden's mother.

Redden seemed to have an "attitude" IMO. While the 2 guys appeared to act respectful (saying "ma'am"' etc.), Redden was different. Just my observation. I'm not inclined to feel sorry for her because she's the youngest and female. Who knows what the dynamics we're between them?

(And sorry to be snarky, but what's up with the judge referring to them as ma'am and sir, and saying "thank you" to these people? "Dismissed" seems more fitting.)

Feel sorry for Redden's mother.

Yes I had the same impression as you, the two guys seemed very respectful, the girl not so much. Maybe she's stubborn.

Re the judge, I have to say I'm very impressed by judges in general, not only in this case but also in others, and in the UK for example. Polite, professional, efficient, there's no need to be rough or rude and show your emotions, imo. If anything it could bite you later on when the defence claims unfair trial or bias or whatever. It also helps with the emotional impact the situation has on the defendants I believe. The calmer everybody is the better chances of arriving at the truth and a fair sentence. Just moo.

We are in the south where "yes ma'am, no sir" are the proper way to talk.

The boys have been in the system and know how to reply. The girl does not know "yet"!

We have heard unforced entry. Do you think the door was left unlocked? Did Melissa move from the family house in TN into this apt? Having been in a suburb, feeling safe, she just forgot to lock the door at the apt? Does this apt. complex have an alarm system and did she feel she would hear the chime if the door opened?

So many questions yet to be answered.

I think the woman crying is Sarah Redden's mother.

When the judge told her that it carries a max sentence of life in prison or the death penalty Sarah Redden looked shocked.

I think the woman crying is Sarah Redden's mother.

When the judge told her that it carries a max sentence of life in prison or the death penalty Sarah Redden looked shocked.

Take this for what it is worth, but reading some comments left by readers of wral's website story of the court proceedings yesterday, at least a couple of people who claim to know them said that the mom has always viewed her daughter as a "victim" of circumstances and has a history of bailing her out of messes. If true, both mother and daughter were probably shocked with the judge's words...jmo

They had been breaking into cars in that area. Possibly there was an extra key left in her car and they let themselves into her apartment.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back