SIDEBAR #5- Arias/Alexander forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok guys, don't get mad at me, but I think I just changed my mind on the DP. On the justice for Travis site someone wrote in about the prison....not jail.....real prison where she will go. And given her notoriety she most likely will be locked up most of the day. She won't be the princess of the jail. And we won't have to hear from her again, ever.

What do you think?

I have said this before, but I'll say it again...could it be that the jury is confused about the jury instructions? I'm sure they have read over this part again amongst themselves, but when JW was talking, remember she kept saying, "if you find one mitigating factor," and "if you individually find one mitigating factor." She made it sound like if you find one mitigating factor, then you have to spare her life. I mean, is this true? I don't see how that could be true. Then another part though, JSS read that the totality of the mitigation has to be greater than the totality of the aggravation.

So perhaps there is a juror or two who says, I think her age is a mitigating factor, and well JW told us that if we find one we have to give her life.

I think Juan was much less clear in this phase than with the others...it could be that he just couldn't say much b/c this phase is so subjective, I don't know. I will gladly eat my words if the jury comes back with death verdict. Then I'm sure I'll be saying Juan did a GREAT JOB in the mitigation phase. But I wish he would have gone after what JW said, which she said multiple times that if you find one mitigating factor, you must give life.

Any thoughts on this? Did anyone else feel that way? I have to say I was confused after the closing statements about how exactly they wree supposed to go about determining death or life, but then again I didn't actually read the instructions, just followed along with JSS and then watched the arguments.

Mitigating Circumstances:
Death sentence must rest on two findings
1.proof beyond reasonable doubt of at least one aggravating circumstance

2.that there are NO mitigating circumstances sufficiently substantial to call for leniency
JA has got age and no priors on her side

I will be respectful of your snarky comment. If you didn't mean to be, then I apologize for misinterpreting you. There are crazies everywhere, yes. But let's just look at the stats. Japan is well known to be an extremely safe country. The homicide rate is 0.83 per 100,000 people per year. In the US, it's 4.8. The biggest crime in JP is bicycle theft...dear oh dear!

Yep, I have heard that Japan is very low crime and is one of the safest places on Earth. I have also heard that the streets are very clean because the people don't litter. Like at all. It's very interesting. I think that is a cultural difference, the level of discipline and respect that is taught in many Asian countries.

Something else......

When JA says she is a survivor of domestic abuse, I think she means Bobby Juarez was abusive. She just blames his abuse of her on TA.

When JA lies, she always weaves a bit of the truth into her fantastic tales.

Just thinking about true prison life is enough to give you nightmares.:scared:

Notice how Stabby has no friends on the outside, because she's a liar and manipulator? It will be the same for her on the inside. There is a real code among thieves and they have their own form of justice.

With her Borderline she will be someone's b#tch for a long, long time. I would think AZ will have a large share of drug dealers (not to stereotype!), can't imagine they'll find Silent Night entertaining for very long.

I will be respectful of your snarky comment. If you didn't mean to be, then I apologize for misinterpreting you. There are crazies everywhere, yes. But let's just look at the stats. Japan is well known to be an extremely safe country. The homicide rate is 0.83 per 100,000 people per year. In the US, it's 4.8. The biggest crime in JP is bicycle theft...dear oh dear!

Whoaaa there chief. Nothing snarky at all.

Japan may not know about this Arias crime...but they sure do know about the depravity of juvenile violent crime. Look into it if you don't know anything about it. But be warned...it is some of the worst stuff you will ever hear.

I raise the point to you because you are in Japan...just stating that cruel crime is everywhere. You alluded to the fact that Japanese people know nothing of the Arias crime...I'm alluding to the fact that they have some hard...hard core crime there.

Look into this:
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Junko_Furuta"]Murder of Junko Furuta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Japan has had a real issue with juvenile cruel crime

Mitigating Circumstances:
Death sentence must rest on two findings
1.proof beyond reasonable doubt of at least one aggravating circumstance

2.that there are NO mitigating circumstances sufficiently substantial to call for leniency
JA has got age and no priors on her side

No priors, but plenty of evidence to prove she has broken the law in the past. Most recently she committed perjury while under oath.

Her age? If she were 15 at the time maybe......but 27?

IMO there are zero mitigating factors........

Honestly I can only watch the ones where the reporters go after her. I just can't watch one where she simply spews. Any recommendation that won't make me pull out my hair????

I'm with you on that note. I haven't seen any of her post verdict spewing.
I must say though the " hater" interview has peaked my curiosity.

Yeah, somehow I don't think Jodi's judgey, condescending manner will go over in court. After her first passive aggressive Bible quote condemning a fellow prisoner, she'll get her freakin' block knocked off. Life or death, prison will not be the picnic she thinks it is. Of that, I am certain.

Honestly I can only watch the ones where the reporters go after her. I just can't watch one where she simply spews. Any recommendation that won't make me pull out my hair????

1. Ryan Owens
2. Troy Hayden
3. Diana Alvear

The others were soft IMO

Well if she's a lifer, she'll be able to have all the creature comforts:

What items can be purchased at the inmate store?
Inmates may purchase items such as hygiene products, vitamins and supplements, food, candy, soda, bottled water,
instant coffee, writing supplies, postage stamps, greeting cards, playing cards, tobacco products, chess/checker sets,
clothing, and electronic devices including televisions, walkmans, desk lamps and electric razors.

Source: http://www.azcorrections.gov/adc/inmate/guidebook_2013_inter.pdf

Interesting little guidebook.

Mel

Japan may not know about this Arias crime...but they sure do know about the depravity of juvenile violent crime. Look into it if you don't know anything about it. But be warned...it is some of the worst stuff you will ever hear.

I raise the point to you because you are in Japan...just stating that cruel crime is everywhere. You alluded to the fact that Japanese people know nothing of the Arias crime...I'm alluding to the fact that they have some hard...hard core crime there.

Look into this:
Murder of Junko Furuta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think the worst stuff I have ever heard about has come out of Russia. But there's crazy shiz everywhere, even in the US. Don't know why you feel the need to warn Japanese people that there are crazy people around the corner. There are crazy people everywhere. We know this.

Good morning everyone. :seeya:

I'm on my way to work now and I hope I come home to a penalty verdict. Then I will read what you all posted today as the drama unfolds. My prayers go out to the Alexander Family and Friends. This waiting must be so difficult for them!

I have said this before, but I'll say it again...could it be that the jury is confused about the jury instructions? I'm sure they have read over this part again amongst themselves, but when JW was talking, remember she kept saying, "if you find one mitigating factor," and "if you individually find one mitigating factor." She made it sound like if you find one mitigating factor, then you have to spare her life. I mean, is this true? I don't see how that could be true. Then another part though, JSS read that the totality of the mitigation has to be greater than the totality of the aggravation.

So perhaps there is a juror or two who says, I think her age is a mitigating factor, and well JW told us that if we find one we have to give her life.

I think Juan was much less clear in this phase than with the others...it could be that he just couldn't say much b/c this phase is so subjective, I don't know. I will gladly eat my words if the jury comes back with death verdict. Then I'm sure I'll be saying Juan did a GREAT JOB in the mitigation phase. But I wish he would have gone after what JW said, which she said multiple times that if you find one mitigating factor, you must give life.

Any thoughts on this? Did anyone else feel that way? I have to say I was confused after the closing statements about how exactly they wree supposed to go about determining death or life, but then again I didn't actually read the instructions, just followed along with JSS and then watched the arguments.

There is a formula to follow and it is subjective. They don't have to agree on the same mitigating factors, where they must agree is the Substantial weight of it.

So her age, 27, is one. Does being 27 outweigh the Aggravating circumstance. For me this might if she were 19 or 75 and sick. Some believe her lack of a criminal record is substantial. For me her history of lying means she has a "criminal" mentality, even after murdering someone...and still.

Honestly I can only watch the ones where the reporters go after her. I just can't watch one where she simply spews. Any recommendation that won't make me pull out my hair????[

Last night while I was on here I had HLN on and of course that was all they were showing. I was not watching but could hear and honestly it made me sick. I finally turned the channel.

Good Morning.

Look into this:
Murder of Junko Furuta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks but the only hard core crime I'm interested in right now is THIS one, which is why I'm here. Justice for Travis anyone?

I just keep thinking about Van der Sloot and all the crap he pulled and still is pulling. I just don't know, theres got to be a better way to deal with criminals.

There is a formula to follow and it is subjective. They don't have to agree on the same mitigating factors, where they must agree is the Substantial weight of it.

So her age, 27, is one. Does being 27 outweigh the Aggravating circumstance. For me this might if she were 19 or 75 and sick. Some believe her lack of a criminal record is substantial. For me her history of lying means she has a "criminal" mentality, even after murdering someone...and still.

I think the outweigh is throwing us off. Outweigh is not mentioned in the material I read.
Again DS rests on two findings
proof of one aggravating cir
no mitigating cir

Ok guys, don't get mad at me, but I think I just changed my mind on the DP. On the justice for Travis site someone wrote in about the prison....not jail.....real prison where she will go. And given her notoriety she most likely will be locked up most of the day. She won't be the princess of the jail. And we won't have to hear from her again, ever.

What do you think?

LWOP is certainly more difficult than being on death row in many ways. She will have to learn to live and be around other inmates in prison. She has never been able to adjust to living with normal, decent human beings. And there is no way she can learn to live properly with violent inmates. She'll have a 'self-defense' fight every week. She'll have to watch her back constantly.

The number of 'special' appeals will decrease.

She will have to deal with premature aging and eventually old age. She won't deal well with this at all.

She'll still have to live in a small cell, cut off from the world at large, eat crummy meals (with some purchased snacks). A thousand activities in prison cannot compare to one minute outside those bars in perfect freedom. There are a million things she'll never be able to do ever again.

What I really worry about with regards to life is that she may get out one day. Even if given life without the possibility of parole... another thing I worry about is the greater chance of her getting pregnant. Am I right in thinking that this sort of thing happens in prison especially to non-death row inmates?

Also, since the DP is reserved for the worst of the worst I want her to know that the jury/world thinks of her as the 'worst'. Last but not least the family wants her to be sentenced to death.

Life is okay as long as there is no chance for parole. At this time though I'm still praying for death. I want whatever Travis' family wants. :please:

hello people, due to the atrocious crimes that some commit and have commited they can not be out free with the public. They do not belong here, they are evil and will continue to always be evil. Jodi is one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname