Penalty Phase - Verdict Watch #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read frequently but (obviously) hardly ever post. Please be gentle.

A few questions:

1. It is my understanding that during jury selection in a death penalty trial the question that is asked is: "Could you vote for the death penalty?" As opposed to: "If you find this person guilty, you will vote for the death penalty." Is that correct?

2. It is also my understanding that this jury has unanimously found CMJA guilty of murder in the first degree, with extreme cruelty. So what they are discussing now is mitigating factors. The difference between life and death?

3. What are they allowed to consider as mitigating factors? Is it limited to age (she was old enough to know better), mental incapacity (I consider her a psychopath, not mentally ill) or other things. Did some members of the jury buy the DV and child abuse stuff? I didn't.

I'm wondering here about mitigating factors. I wonder what they are discussing, because, to me, someone (s) on that jury is seeing mitigating factors.

I do think this jury is doing their job properly, unlike the Pinellas 12 (MOO). They are at least considering the issues and asking questions. If they were not carefully considering and debating the issues before voting for the DP, then they would not be doing their job. Holding someone's life in your hands is a very important decision.

1) yes
2) yes
3). Some lame excuses like she was just 27, her first murder, she is an artist, she will teach Spanish to inmates. Forgot the other three or four.

27 is old enough to know what premeditation is
Her first murder? Well, there's the dog.
An artist? Hardly.
Teach someone Spanish? She's been in five years and has only helped herself thus far.

Aso agree with you about the jury. Think some serious debating is going on. But they are tenacious.

Anyone ever heard of Marcia Powell? I was looking up Perryville Prison and this Wikipedia link came up and there's a mention of her at the bottom of the story.

I don't think the killer has a clue how bad the rest of it's life is going to be, regardless of whether it gets LWOP or DP.

I hope this link is okay and not too OT. If so, I'll delete it. There are no images, just description.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arizona_State_Prison_Complex_–_Perryville

"Marcia Powell, who was serving a 27-month sentence for prostitution, was put in the uncovered chain-link cell at a state prison in Goodyear about 11 a.m. Tuesday."

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/30853721/.../t/ariz-inmate-dies-after-hours-outdoor-cell/

Please help me understand what issues they would be debating at this point?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I'm asking because I served on a death penalty jury as a foreman and Marietta Georgia in 2008/ the state of Georgia vs Lawrence Rice

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, he (Keifer) tweeted that he knew "what the note said".
The court's public information office tweeted an update that matched up with the Juror question that Kiefer reported (the "IF" we can't reach a unanimous verdict) not what we saw the Judge say before she gave the jury the Allen charge.

Steeling myself. If the verdict is anything other than death....life or hung...I expect to see Jodi and JW hugging and high fiving with Nurmi. Jodi maybe flipping off the Alexander family. JW and Nurmi smirking at Juan. Mainly just a big grin on the face of the killer. :stormingmad:

I have thought about that too. But if so, the REALITY is, she is going to stay IN PRISON for life. No more freedom, no more Cinnabons, Strawberry Frappes, no more computer match forums perusing for wealthy Mormon bachelors, no more sunshine or lounging on beaches, no more peroxide rinses, or french tips. OVER AND DONE WITH. :jail: :jail: :jail: :jail: :jail: :jail: :jail:

Just home from pedicure! Did jury work through lunch?

In theory, yes it should be an objective decision. But people are not robots. I know that sounds harsh, and I truly don't mean it to sound that way. I'm just saying that most human beings do not have an on/off switch to their emotions and humanity. At the end of the day, no matter how objective we all would like to be, the reality is that whatever they decide will forever change many lives. Forever is a pretty hard pill to swallow.

I couldn't do it, I just know I couldn't.

My DD asked me once if I would feel differently about the DP if someone killed her. I had to answer honestly; "I just don't know. Maybe".

But while I do agree it OUGHT to be objective, I also agree with your point that as human beings, we can't ever be truly objective. Our life experiences color and shape the way we see the world. A juror who lost a loved one to a stalker or drunk driver might have very little conflict over voting Death. A person like me, who has only lost loved ones to accidents or disease or age, can't fathom voting to end another person's life no matter how awful the murder.

I guess it is just that while I can feel empathy for the victim's family, I can't EVER know their pain in a real way and I hope I never do. Again, it is an example of how our experiences form our views. And I do try to "never say never".

But my heart goes out to these jurors for having to make this choice. I doubt I'd sleep a wink. :(

IF this jury can't reach a verdict, i worry about a new jury. i just don't like that option and i feel like they'd be LESS prone to give her the DP because they haven't grown to loathe her over 5 months. they'd get a crash course in the case. the DA would make the ultimate decision, i believe----JM's boss. i just think it's risky.

Watching Amy Murphy interview the convicted murderer last night, it was once again so obvious that when Arias delivers a whopper, not an equivocation but a thumping huge lie, she gulps. This has been true throughout her newscasts as well as on the stand. Like, wow! that was hard to swallow.

Ugh, she does have a really loud gross gulping swallow! You can noticeably hear it in her interviews. I want to barf every time I hear it. She really is more animal than human.

I was just thinking, in the video today where JW and JA were talking, and JW did those three lines with her hands...do you guys think she was talking about options like...if they come back hung....then
....gets new jury......then
etc.

I agree. I'm very concerned about this.

Funny, my hubby and I thought Juan gave a very, very slight smile to the Alexanders when he turned around. We both saw it. Very slight, but there. I thought his body language was relaxed. Didn't see any shoulders or head drooping.

Nurmi looked like Nurmi always does - DONE! He's had the same body language to me for a week or so and I thought I saw worry in CMJA eyes. Dunno. Maybe my wishful thinking.

Sparrow

Wild About Trial ‏@WildAboutTrial 1m
hWild is feeling like he is in an insane asylum. #goingCrazy

Poor poor WAT. . .lol

Does anyone know if the court has SOP in which an officer of the court polls the jurors during their deliberations? tia

Didn't all of the jurors agree to the heinous and cruel part....or however it was worded?

I respectfully disagree. More often than not JC's observations mean nothing.

And I would swear I've seen Beth Karas dead-panning the monitor when one of her colleagues goes off the deep end with their speculation. Beth reports the facts and doesn't dramatize. She's trustworthy. There have been times I just know she wanted to roll her eyes, but she's professional.

Just MHOO.

Jean c also was spotted stalking the Casey Anthony DT and somehow got herself invited to Casey's acquittal party in a bar. She was seen with a drink in her hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆