Verdict is in! GUILTY of MURDER ONE - Hung Jury On Penalty Phase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joe Arpaio ‏@RealSheriffJoe 8m
Arias is returning to Estrella Jail and will remain closed custody. No more interviews for her.

This is the only good news I've heard today.
I hope Sheriff Joe & the judge stick to this.
JA needs to be isolated NOW ... she is a convicted murder 1 felon.

Arias is returning to Estrella Jail and will remain closed custody. No more interviews for her.

Hehehehe...sucks to be her!!! 23 hours a day on lockdown--and no limelight at all!! I hope some of you at least get comfort from that. She is a CONVICTED FELON!!

Don't tell her, she didn't really win. :facepalm:

So does this (censoring myself) stay where she is or is shipped off to Perryville until whatever comes next?

And Sheriff Joe --Please, for the love of God, do NOT let her give any more interviews. She may be entitled to 1st amendment rights, but I notice you're pretty singular in translating that into national interviews of a convicted 1st degree murderer.

I'm asserting my right and that of many to not be subjected to any further cruel or unusual punishment, which having to seeing her face again surely is.

She's to stay locked up 23/24 until the new trial and I assume during it according to the sheriff's twitter account.

Hehehehe...sucks to be her!!! 23 hours a day on lockdown--and no limelight at all!! I hope some of you at least get comfort from that. She is a CONVICTED FELON!!

:facepalm: Don't tell her, she still thinks she won. :giggle:

I will give my two cents, knowing that there are other lawyers on this thread who practice criminal law and will correct me if I am wrong. But, this is what I see:

1. Jodi is on lock down, no interviews, while this drags on. That appears to be the same as if she is on death row. This could go on for an extended period due to the next phase.

2. Juan and his office (with input from the family) can offer a plea of life in prison if she gives up her appeals. This would be huge if accepted. Waiving appeals would get us farther than life would have gotten us today.

3. It may take a while, but I believe there are many, many people who are not familiar with this case. Not in that immediate area, but as many others have pointed out, some people have never heard of it.

4. This is not a win for the defense. Even if there is a plea bargain, this is no win for the defense. They are at the mercy of the prosecutors. Even if Wilmot and Nurmi get to leave, JA will be forced, with other lawyers, to move forward if the prosecution decides. I personally believe it would be harder to find a lawyer to accept her case than it would be to find a jury who would hear it.

5. God has a purpose. I know this. The Alexander family will need our prayers and our help, but there is a purpose here. I am so grateful that, whatever the deadlock, it didn't happen until now. THAT IS HUGE. I would much rather have a mistrial now than on any verdict prior to this. She is convicted. That part is done. That is a huge blessing. The same individuals who couldn't agree here could have held out then. That did not happen. Sometimes instead of looking at what has been taken away, we must remember what we have been given. What was given to the Alexanders is huge. They saw this through to her conviction. At this point, other decisions may need to be made. But, she is convicted and MOST IMPORTANTLY Travis' name has been cleared. There is no doubt about that and that is worth more than anything, even JA's death for her crime.

This jury has been a blessing. There is a purpose in this part as well. This will be alright and it will turn out for the greatest good - whatever that may be. I have no doubt there are angels watching over the Alexanders, on earth and in heaven. They are special people. Let us not forget them in our prayers in the months to come. Circle the wagons! - A Mormon pioneer saying :)

JVM is saying JA got to the men on the jury. I disagree! I'll believe it was a woman she got to. MOO

That's probably why she was crying this afternoon.

Here's a concise explanation of what happens next:

"Under Arizona law, a hung jury in a trial’s death penalty phase requires a new jury to be seated to decide the punishment. If the second jury cannot reach a unanimous decision, the judge would then sentence Arias to spend her entire life in prison or be eligible for release after 25 years. The judge cannot sentence Arias to death.

Former Maricopa County Attorney Rick Romley has said the case could drag on for several months as the new jury reviews evidence and hears opening statements, closing arguments and witness testimony in a “Cliffs Notes” version of the trial.

However, if the prosecutor decides not to pursue the death penalty a second time, the judge would sentence Arias to one of the life term options, and the trial would conclude.

As the proceedings continue, Arias will remain in the Maricopa County jail system, where she has spent the past five years. Sheriff Joe Arpaio said Thursday she will be confined to her cell 23 hours a day and not be allowed to give interviews.'

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...f09540-c407-11e2-9642-a56177f1cdf7_story.html

I agree. Dissecting and critiquing the jury is not bashing.

What is the point in dissecting and critiquing the jury ... when we don't even know how many wanted death and how many wanted life. People are flying off the rails about this, so sure that one person lied and claimed they could issue a DP verdict but then backed out. Maybe that was the case, but how do we know that?! People are saying that one or two hold outs were the cause of the hung jury, and maybe that was the case...

But what if it was one or two death penalty people and everyone else wanted life? What if it was 10-2 in favor of life and one person who was so set on DP was the holdout? What if it was just one DP favored person refusing to negotiate down from the DP

I get being disappointed! I'm disappointed too... but many people on here are downright insulting the jurors and I don't feel they deserve that at all! We don't know how the jury was aligned. So a lot of the posts on here, calling them cowards, pathetic, worse than the P12 jury, how could they do this to the Alexander family, didn't do their jobs, blah blah blah! Those are all uncalled for because we don't know what happened in that deliberation room.

I wonder how honest the new jury will be when asked if they have heard of this case....

I think they could all say they've heard of the case and still be on the jury. They just have to not followed the case religiously and be willing to give whosherdoodle a fair shot.

Look, whatever the jury's thoughts, I can deal. I just want to know if Dr. Drew is going to finally ask that girl, who has come so splendidly made up each night, to prom.

This is the only good news I've heard today.
I hope Sheriff Joe & the judge stick to this.
JA needs to be isolated NOW ... she is a convicted murder 1 felon.

They just showed her exiting the paddy wagon and going into the jail. In her stripped suit. She tried to hide her face with her envelope. That was on DD.

I agree. Dissecting and critiquing the jury is not bashing.

:seeya: TY !

And I can't wait to hear what the jurors have to say -- that is IF they decide to give interviews ...

Everyone wants an answer, so I hope at least one will come forward and say "something" !

They owe it to the Alexander Family !

:moo:

I seem to remember reading Juan said after verdict he would give a statement so I wonder if he will give us one anyway?

No, he won't because it was a hung jury.

Dr. Drew is an idiot. He's spouting off about everyone being upset because they're dead set on death for the CM. What everyone is UPSET about Dr. Drew is that there WAS NO DECISION. I could have lived with LWOP... as long as there was SOME DECISION MADE. Why am I watching the drama on HLN? I barely ever do, and tonight they are pizzing me off. :stormingmad:

ETA: Loved NG hanging up on DB though. Made me fall in love with Nancy all over again :lol:.

So does this (censoring myself) stay where she is or is shipped off to Perryville until whatever comes next?

And Sheriff Joe --Please, for the love of God, do NOT let her give any more interviews. She may be entitled to 1st amendment rights, but I notice you're pretty singular in translating that into national interviews of a convicted 1st degree murderer.

I'm asserting my right and that of many to not be subjected to any further cruel or unusual punishment, which having to seeing her face again surely is.
We've been told that she will remain in close custody (now that she has been convicted of first-degree murder) at Estrella until a decision has made regarding her sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288