Verdict is in! GUILTY of MURDER ONE - Hung Jury On Penalty Phase

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think they believed he was physically abusive at all. I think they latched onto a few of his words that needed no corroboration. *advertiser censored*, three hole wonder, when he said he "pretty much raped her" yada yada ...

I always wonder what "jury of peers" really means.

This is not to say that anyone over a certain age won't understand something but really, a group of 20-somethings or 30-somethings would have immediately grasped the concept of text slang, shorthand and how much each texter is relying on their history together to communicate.

Texts cannot be analyzed at face value. That wouldn't be fair or accurate. And whether it was a joke or not, I don't know so I will have to presume the question about what the "s" word means to her was a serious question and it told me that there would be a great divide over what is an out of the blue verbal assault and what was simply a continuation of many other conversations.

When I text, I just pick up where I left off or just give an abbreviated version of something I know the other person will understand.

Anyone unfamiliar with texting would just be :confused:

Hello Sleuth,
I never thought about it that way but you could be right in that it may actually be easier for them to give DP because they did not get to see all the baggage that Jodi portrayed. Interesting.

My biggest fear is we wont get that chance. I have a really bad feeling that the DA will just not try the 2nd time and just give it to the judge to decide LWOP or LWP. To save a ton of money and also I think the family maybe has had enough of this madness and they may want it to end too.

If the judge gets it, I cant read her and really dont know which way she would lean.

Sure, it could go that way, but Juan is unlikely to go that route unless he gets strong pressure from the family to end the case by taking death out. That would be tricky, because he works for an elected official, and there's a lot of press buzz about this case -- this could become bad press very quickly. My guess is that the DA is going to want to posture if nothing else, though the outcome could be the same -- because Juan gets only one more shot at the DP. If the second jury hangs, it goes to Life, and the judge makes the determination of LWP or LWOP.

You could be right on the economics, though. It's already been a very expensive case and further action just keeps the meter running. I'm thinking that the political motivations will outweigh that in this case because of the national attention, but what do I know? :cow:

There are no other texts/evidence where Travis was verbally abusive to JA. I distinctly remember Dr. DeMarte testifying to this, she told the jury that there was no record of any abusive verbal or physical other than that one text and the claims of the lying convicted murderer, au contraire, she also said that Travis was kind and loving toward her all along except for that one text.

Thanks very much for remembering that. I trusted JM to get it right the 1st time, and I trust he'll get it right the next time too. Knowing where the 4 jurors stumbled on the path to the DP will be a huge advantage next time.

Beth still talking about the trial will be starting in July. Does not everyone know that Juan the prosecutor has another trail ..that it's beginning in July. I'm surprised the mainstream media has not learned that yet . they need to be reading here more often!

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

It won't be JM to delay the trial. It will be JA fussing about her lawyers.

moo

I think you touched on the issues with the DP in general. Another poster said above, the DP is administered very unevenly in this country. I think that's because there is no guideline to what determines that. How cruel is too cruel? Does it matter if it was only one victim? Does it matter the race/sex/age of the victim? It's these questions that make we wonder if the DP should exist or at least exist where the average person off the street is deciding it.

Bingo! The problem is not the case or how well it was presented. The death penalty in and of itself has more baggage than Jodi.

I blame fatigue in part for the outcome, and in that sense, perhaps that was part of the defense's strategy all along.

Everyone's exhausted and needs a break. The new jury will come in fresh, the procedure will be streamlined and will zip along compared to this overloaded freight train, and I am sure they will reach a quick and unanimous verdict.

So now Jodi is claiming that Travis was aware of that tape. That there was a previous chat where he talks about it but that her defense attorneys did not enter it into evidence. So it's either a lie or defense could not introduce it because it paints an entirely different picture of the tape itself. Maybe, if it exists, it shows that much of what they talked about was Jodi's idea. I often thought Travis spoke to her in that way because that is what she told him she liked.

I often thought that parts of their sex conversations evolved around her relationship with Darryl and how much older he was than Jodi and what exactly they were into in terms of sex. I do think Travis tried to please her with whatever she wanted. And when the truth comes out through investigating their relationship we will hear more of how manipulative Jodi was and how she planned this the minute Travis told her she had to leave Mesa for good.

this really bothered me. chris's email was mischaracterized and he was never allowed to explain it. i would love to know why the hughes weren't able to testify and the DT was able to cherry pick from their email exchange to paint TA as a bad guy who abused his GF's. why didn't they testify????

I would love to know why so much of the evidence was restricted. My simple mind just doesn't understand why a proven liar can make up a story and run with it especially when there are so many pieces that can give the victim a voice again. I haven't seen the interview yet, but would like to know if he plans on viewing her interviews and restricted evidence to see if his opinion changes.:moo:

I thank the jurors for the murder one verdict but it's in poor taste to talk about Travis having been emotionally abusive to JA on the very day that they announced a hung jury. Think of Travis' family....(They probably don't even watch the news but still it's not appropriate)

I don't think for one second he was abusive - verbal or physical.
However, the juror that was interviewed was asked what, if any, mitigating factors came into play for him.
He only answered the question, and it wasn't in a "bashing" Travis fashion.

Beth Karas was just on HLN saying that there were only two options that she would have life without parole or the death penalty. Beth that is not correct. If it goes to the judge she can get 20 years! How did Beth just say that and she does not get it correctly I am confused

I'm confused, too. A few days ago, I heard an atty talking about AZ's LWOP now including the possibility of parole after serving 25 years. He said that Willmott was correct when she stated that JA would never be released from prison because JA falls under the category of the old law. Hope someone can clarify this!

Just read this on the facebook page..

"Angela Simpson, the Phoenix woman who impaled, stabbed, strangled, beat, and extracted the teeth from a disabled man -- then dismembered him and set pieces of his body on fire -- was sentenced today to life in prison for the 2009 murder."

Life, not death. Lord knows why they even have the DP if they don't want to use it.

ETA: This murderer said she should have gotten the death penalty!!! Only fair she said!

She gave an interview also.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ngtXPP5krU"]Cold Blooded Woman Angela Simpson Interview After Getting Life In Prison! - YouTube[/ame]

Sure, it could go that way, but Juan is unlikely to go that route unless he gets strong pressure from the family to end the case by taking death out. That would be tricky, because he works for an elected official, and there's a lot of press buzz about this case -- this could become bad press very quickly. My guess is that the DA is going to want to posture if nothing else, though the outcome could be the same -- because Juan gets only one more shot at the DP. If the second jury hangs, it goes to Life, and the judge makes the determination of LWP or LWOP.

You could be right on the economics, though. It's already been a very expensive case and further action just keeps the meter running. I'm thinking that the political motivations will outweigh that in this case because of the national attention, but what do I know? :cow:

I think I heard on GMA this morning that the State-JM's boss- has already announced they want to retry her.

Just read this on the facebook page..

"Angela Simpson, the Phoenix woman who impaled, stabbed, strangled, beat, and extracted the teeth from a disabled man -- then dismembered him and set pieces of his body on fire -- was sentenced today to life in prison for the 2009 murder."

Life, not death. Lord knows why they even have the DP if they don't want to use it.

ETA: This murderer said she should have gotten the death penalty!!! Only fair she said!

The video interview was awful to watch, but didn't it remind you of an honest version of CMJA? Everything she said is what CMJA would have said if she were able to ever tell the truth.

Jury foreman says Arias testimony didn't help her
BRIAN SKOLOFF, AP
48 minutes ago

PHOENIX (AP) — As jurors in Jodi Arias' murder trial filed one by one from the courtroom after a dramatic five months of gut-wrenching testimony and gruesome photographs, three women on the panel cried and one looked to the victim's family, mouthing the word, "Sorry."

The silent gesture toward the loved ones of Travis Alexander offered a glimpse into what was likely a tense few days inside the deliberations room as the jury finally determined it could not agree on whether to sentence Arias to life in prison or execution for murdering her boyfriend.

After about 13 hours of deliberations over three days, the panel gave up.

Judge Sherry Stephens gave a heavy sigh as she announced a mistrial in the penalty phase of the case Thursday. A conference with the judge and attorneys was set for June 20 to determine how both sides want to proceed. In the interim, Stephens set a July 18 retrial date, sending prosecutors back to the drawing board to rehash the shocking case and details of sex and lies to another 12 people...

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-national/20130524/US--Boyfriend.Slaying/

Thud

Mentally and verbally abused her?

Speechless...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm waiting to hear the jurors say how horrible JA is. After all the convicted her of murder one. Why not trash her? They can say it all they want now. I'm waiting....

This jury is a joke. Simple. How does this jury sit on one of the longest trials in history, agree on M1 AND cruelty which essentially opens up the doors for DP - and they can't agree? 8 to 4?

Don't come in here saying that we should respect the jury and that they've done a great job. They didn't. What they did was extend this trial another 8 weeks and NOT give closure to the Alexander's.

Don't say you are dp qualified then second guess sentencing Jodi to death if you feel bad that she's too young or it's her first crime, or whatever lame and insufficient excuse those 4 juror's made. Travis' life was taken in the most brutal way.. and you come back hung jury?

I'm done with this trial. I'm glad it'll be off for 8 weeks or however long. This is exactly what is disgusting with our justice system. The DP/LWOP should be majority vote, because if the juror's decision comes down to personal beliefs on sentencing someone to death.. you're pretty much SOL.

This is perfect! In fact your whole post is perfect! And again just another reason why this country should have professional juries!

Beth still talking about the trial will be starting in July. Does not everyone know that Juan the prosecutor has another trail ..that it's beginning in July. I'm surprised the mainstream media has not learned that yet . they need to be reading here more often!

One or the other will be put off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members