GUILTY Australia - Joan Ryther, 27, pregnant, raped & murdered, Logan, Qld, 21 May 2013

Just watched the Channel 7 news. Joan's funeral will be held in Woodridge. MSM said it will cost $20 000 to take her body back to her homeland. The Consulate is helping with the cost.

These are my own thoughts only here... My Mum was a born and raised Australian but married a US citizen and lived there for the last 25 years of her life. Her remains are in Florida with her grieving husband. I do not get to visit her grave but she is in my heart everyday.

It is the love you have left in people's hearts which is a legacy.

RIP Joan and your child.

June 02, 2013

THE detectives showed up just after midnight, breaking news that would turn a wake into a "celebration".
Cory Ryther was in the midst of saluting his late wife Joan in the Irish tradition, gathering with her best friends to toast her memory over a bottle of whiskey.

After enduring 11 days of "sheer hell" since the alleged rape and murder of Joan, who was carrying their unborn baby girl Camille, he was determined to make the occasion an upbeat one.

The mood turned to jubilation as detectives told the grieving husband they had collared a suspect who was now in custody.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...s-to-celebration/story-e6freoof-1226655115391

The video did show his skin colour, and another article says it could ignite race issues. So I wonder if he is related to that previous assault which was linked to here. Is there a sizable Aboriginal population there that they could be targeted as a result of this one individual's evilness?

He won't cope well in custody IMO

This is such a tragic story all round..... Of course especially for Joan, her husband and family and friends......but also for the family and friends of the young man alleged to have done this horrible and wicked deed. What a senseless waste of so many lives..... So hard to comprehend how this happens. I look at my lovely nearly 17 year old son and my heart bleeds for the mother of the person charged too. How do young men get into situations where they do these things. Even as my heart bleeds for all concerned, there is no excuse for such an act. The person who did this must face the consequences of his actions and in the process hopefully get the help he needs to change his life around. This is so sad.

There has been racial issues in recent times in the wider Logan area - I remember a few families were feuding, council and elders got involved to calm the situation. And there was also an aboriginal death on the train line.

Logan area is culturally diverse, and there is likely to always be some simmering tension amongst some of the residents, particularly the younger 'gangs' (for want of a better word).

I am still shocked at the age of this offender - I wonder just how much information will be made publicly available. And I'd imagine there will be some political tiptoeing. I personally think culture and race should not protect anyone who commits a crime, particularly one of this nature.

Which assault are you referring to Ozazure - I probably read it earlier in the thread but it's slipped my mind :)

Says youth is from Cherbourg:
http://river949.com.au/index.php/local/92860-man-in-court-over-logan-murder

*The 18-year-old Cherbourg man appeared in a closed session at Beenleigh Magistrates Court this morning, but there were angry scenes outside as many people yelled abuse.

"Channel 9's Darren Curtis says, it has the potential to ignite racial tensions in the community"
So apparently this 18yr old was arrested at the Woodridge riots. His face is all over social media (without naming him of course). This is definitely going to boil into something messy given what has been in the press lately and racism. I hope people are sensible enough to let the courts handle this themselves and not get in the way.

Thanks ozazure. Now I know which case!

I just came across what is supposed to be the photo of Joan's alleged killer - if you search images in google ("who is the 18 year old arrested joan ryther"), it has a link to a facebook page which I can't mention here. If this is him (it seems very legit), then it doesn't look that similar, but could be.

Thanks moreinfo for the heads up re the riots - wow!! So the police knew him. I wonder if he has a juvenile record as well? Guess that sort of detail won't be released, even if he does.

Trying to speak broadly here so I don't break TOS, but he does seem to have at least one family member who is willing to tell him to pull his head in (related to the riots). I feel for his family at the moment too.

http://www.news.com.au/national-new...ne-train-station/story-fnii5ttf-1226654211772

Very babyfaced offender in the photofit and the video showed what looked like high curly hair to me. Wonder if after Joan's attack he didn't just ride the train to the other side of town and try again. Sounds like a similar assault, a blow to the head and dragged off :( :(

Very different hairstyle to Joans attacker. Look in social media and you'll see full shots of suspect. Her attacker looks much more mature, short tight curls stuck to his head (sorry bad describing words used). But i suppose if you look at just the face very similar.
I hope this wasnt a tit for tat attack. Could Joan have been mistaken for another race to this offender.

I wonder who he has been staying with in Logan? It doesn't seem like his mother lives here. Father? Friends? Other family?

I wonder if his actions that night towards Joan were isolated, or if he was involved in any other crimes? Remember the car theft that night? Did Joan see something? Was he out prowling the streets on his own or with others?

Or maybe this was just a crime of opportunity done by a very sick individual.

I tried to find some of the CCtv footage to see if the offender had been filmed. One report I saw had quite a good deal of footage, but I cant find the news report... grrrr

I tried to find some of the CCtv footage to see if the offender had been filmed. One report I saw had quite a good deal of footage, but I cant find the news report... grrrr

Sorry what do you mean? cctv footage that was released for Joan with this guy in it.

Sorry what do you mean? cctv footage that was released for Joan with this guy in it.

Sorry, I didn't explain that post very well.
I meant the footage that the Police released to the media (the 19 people who were captured on tape in the area around the time that Joan was attacked) the day before he was taken into custody.
I wondered if he had been captured on any of the tapes. I was looking for a particular news item that showed all the footage released - but couldn't find it.

Strangeworld, I think I read the arrested man had been staying with a relative (uncle), but I don't think it was in Logan - some other area around Brisbane.

I was surprised yesterday when channel 10, NBN and ABC 24 didn't blur out his features in the footage of him being lead to the car by police. He had the blanket around his face, but you could still see stuff.

Might be mistaken but there appears to be some PNG connection with the offender from what's written on that page showing his picture, plus the short tight curls.

If the police case is strong and its proven that this person is responsible for the crime, I feel sorry for his family knowing that not only has he committed such a brutal act, but that he has lied even to them. If convicted he knows his life's over anyway, so maybe by denying involvement he thinks he has a chance.

I don't imagine police would arrest somebody this quickly without having some pretty rock solid evidence though. If he was arrested during those riots maybe they took prints back then which matched the crime scene.

I also agree the identikit picture of the other rapist looks to be a different offender based on the hair.

Sorry, I didn't explain that post very well.
I meant the footage that the Police released to the media (the 19 people who were captured on tape in the area around the time that Joan was attacked) the day before he was taken into custody.
I wondered if he had been captured on any of the tapes. I was looking for a particular news item that showed all the footage released - but couldn't find it.

http://l.yimg.com/ea/img/-/130530/3...8qe4ea.jpg?x=292&sig=YlqB3ImifrnyZ2vBFiJQpA--
i would say the back picture, has him on cctv IMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back