8 Die in Crash on Taconic State Parkway #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. But I just wanted to know if that was a factor. My understanding is if they were intoxicated as well it could affect their insurance payout. Under the insurance and police guidelines they are considered crashes not accidents now and if you were drunk they could come back and say that they let you could have avoided by swerving out the way or so on. Look I believe it was her fault and she made a terrible decision to drink and drive. I am also not trying to disparage the Bastardi family either. I just never heard that and wanted to know if this was in any way true.
Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

I can't find any supporting links so I must've been misremembering. I agree the only person to blame is Dianne but wondered about the insurance payout and civil suits as well.

No, it's not true. Why are false rumors being spread? There has never been anything reported regarding alcohol in the other car.
If somebody makes a claim, they need to provide a link. NO such link was provided. Because no such thing was ever reported.
:banghead:

I didn't provide a link because I wasn't stating a fact. I did not claim anything - I simply asked a question.

http://pysih.com/2010/01/23/diane-schuler-an-interesting-perspective/

Interesting post packerdog. Here's an indepth article that supports you.

That was really interesting. By the way, some of the stories on that sight are really, really disturbing. I found this quote interesting:

Is it possible this man has no emotions whatsoever? All he has lamented over is the loss of his wife and child, he never even mentions the 3 relatives, or 3 strangers that lost their lives.

I agree he (Daniel) seems like a sociopath but I always thought he hardly ever mentioned poor little Erin. She always seemed forgotten. The information she drove past the wreck site and then went back around the wrong way is very telling. I really hope her brother was not covering up something. Would he even be considered responsible even if he realized she was drinking? I mean legally. They did call the police and she was already on the road.

I just finished reading Jackie Hance's book. That poor woman went to hell and back. I hope she and her husband can now find some peace with their little girl.

http://pysih.com/2010/01/23/diane-schuler-an-interesting-perspective/

Interesting post packerdog. Here's an indepth article that supports you.

Hmm, I'm not usually one to say this about theories by non-experts, but the way he fits the puzzle-pieces together really makes a scary amount of sense.

And I agree with the other poster that if she really did go past the eventual crash site once the *correct way*, then make another run at it from the other direction--that's just chilling.

Thank you for mentioning this. Somehow I missed that the book existed. Will be ordering it!

But why would she take out a car load of innocent children and a vehicle of others that she didn't know?Couldn't she have just driven by herself?

Just bizarre I tell ya.

That's why I think she didn't try suicide. Why would she take her nieces with her? Her husband just went home with the dog, and she had a bunch of children with her. So, IMO, she tried to "relax." Unfortunately she was also driving.

Respectively sipped. Speaks volumes.

I've been reluctant to chime in on this one...but I really don't see it any other way. She meant to do this. Whether this was some big plan or not, she killed her self in a planned way and took all those people with her. I don't know what her issue was with her husband, or with her brother...but she planned it and she did it. Haven't we learned by now that intention only takes seconds? I'm no psychologist so I have no way to understand it, but as far as I can tell....Diane took those kids with her on her ride to the end and took out other innocents with her. She was a selfish ***** and she didn't care anymore. I bet she had her reasons, but none of those reasons would ever compensate for what she did.

There must be reasons for all that and I think anyone who reads this thread should read the pysih thread as well because nothing else makes sense...if that isn't enough please read Mr. Bastardi's book.

May the angels hold all of her victims in their hands and bring them to the light.

I've been reluctant to chime in on this one...but I really don't see it any other way. She meant to do this. Whether this was some big plan or not, she killed her self in a planned way and took all those people with her. I don't know what her issue was with her husband, or with her brother...but she planned it and she did it. Haven't we learned by now that intention only takes seconds? I'm no psychologist so I have no way to understand it, but as far as I can tell....Diane took those kids with her on her ride to the end and took out other innocents with her. She was a selfish ***** and she didn't care anymore. I bet she had her reasons, but none of those reasons would ever compensate for what she did.

There must be reasons for all that and I think anyone who reads this thread should read the pysih thread as well because nothing else makes sense...if that isn't enough please read Mr. Bastardi's book.

May the angels hold all of her victims in their hands and bring them to the light.

BBM

Could she have wanted to hurt her husband and brother in the worst possible way, by murdering their children??

Where is the evidence that DS killed herself, her children and her nieces "in a planned way"? On the contrary, we have testimony from opposing drivers that she was honking her horn to get them out of the way. The car she finally hit was going 10 miles over the speed limit (IIRC and, no, I'm not blaming the victims, just saying they approached too fast to be avoided or warned off) and she was going closer to 20 miles over: she and the other car collided almost as soon as each became visible to the other.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. To me, claiming that a previously loving mother and aunt deliberately killed her young children and nieces is an extraordinary claim.

We're just discussing a compelling theory on a website that was linked up thread, the "planned" part probably refers to (among other things) a report that Diane was seen driving past the eventual crash site going the correct way...as if scouting out the best spot for a blind head-on. Also the phone calls with her brother and eventually abandoning the phone. It's worth a read. I do understand the need not to phrase opinion as fact but I think the poster was just stating opinion very emphatically.

Where is the evidence that DS killed herself, her children and her nieces "in a planned way"? On the contrary, we have testimony from opposing drivers that she was honking her horn to get them out of the way. The car she finally hit was going 10 miles over the speed limit (IIRC and, no, I'm not blaming the victims, just saying they approached too fast to be avoided or warned off) and she was going closer to 20 miles over: she and the other car collided almost as soon as each became visible to the other.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. To me, claiming that a previously loving mother and aunt deliberately killed her young children and nieces is an extraordinary claim.

IMO - the extraodinary evidence is exactly what DS did that day. And seven innocent people paid the ultimate price for her actions.

Do some think DS simply had an accident? Like the one I was involved in few months ago when someone mistakenly backed into my car?

Loving mothers don't spend hours drinking ten shots of hard alcohol & smoking pot while driving their children and nieces in a van - driving round and round and round -going anywhere but home.

"She was honking her horn to get them out of her way"? I've read witness statements where they noted hearing her honking the horn, but how can anyone know her reason for that? Maybe she wanted to make sure that people saw what she was about to do?

Whether or not she set out with a premeditated plan to actually kill herself that day, there is no disputing the fact that she--with intention--drank/got high and drove. That choice--Diane's choice alone--is what killed 7 innocents!

MO ~

I'm sorry, I should have ended that post with JMO, MOO, one of those, I apologize. It is my opinion, one I've been reluctant to put forth, but that is how I see it.

Always MOO

IMO, she passed the crash site before turning around because that wasn't the direction home. She turned around and unfortunately went back up the ramp she exited on (due to her intoxication). She wanted to go home, she just didn't want to see her husband or brother in the condition she was in.

"Where is the evidence that DS killed herself, her children and her nieces "in a planned way"? On the contrary, we have testimony from opposing drivers that she was honking her horn to get them out of the way."

You need to look up and read the police report, which contains the interviews of the many witnesses who saw her that day. The horn honking she did that day was EARLIER in the day and was not on the Taconic. She was honking and flashing her lights when she came up onto the back of someone, then tailgated them and started honking. In several cases she attempted to pass people using the berm.

As to the actual event on the Taconic, first of all, when she started up the exit ramp there were FOUR cars coming down the exit ramp. They all swerved, blew their horns, waved, flashed their lights. She never swerved, never varied her speed, just continued straight on up the ramp.

While on the Taconic, Diane never honked her horn, is described as having both hands on the wheel in the "10-2" position (by several witnesses), and never swerved or changed lanes (by all witnesses who saw her) despite ALMOST being hit by several other cars prior to the crash. Other drivers were honking at her and several literally had to run off the road to avoid her.

I have no strong opinion about suicide/homicide vs. being very impaired. But based on the actual eyewitness accounts, debating the possibility of suicide is not outside of the realm of possibility.

IMO - the extraodinary evidence is exactly what DS did that day. And seven innocent people paid the ultimate price for her actions.

Do some think DS simply had an accident? Like the one I was involved in few months ago when someone mistakenly backed into my car?

Loving mothers don't spend hours drinking ten shots of hard alcohol & smoking pot while driving their children and nieces in a van - driving round and round and round -going anywhere but home.

"She was honking her horn to get them out of her way"? I've read witness statements where they noted hearing her honking the horn, but how can anyone know her reason for that? Maybe she wanted to make sure that people saw what she was about to do?
B b m
Agreed. This Imoo was not some simple driving error. I think she planned the accident.

"Where is the evidence that DS killed herself, her children and her nieces "in a planned way"? On the contrary, we have testimony from opposing drivers that she was honking her horn to get them out of the way."

You need to look up and read the police report, which contains the interviews of the many witnesses who saw her that day. The horn honking she did that day was EARLIER in the day and was not on the Taconic. She was honking and flashing her lights when she came up onto the back of someone, then tailgated them and started honking. In several cases she attempted to pass people using the berm.

As to the actual event on the Taconic, first of all, when she started up the exit ramp there were FOUR cars coming down the exit ramp. They all swerved, blew their horns, waved, flashed their lights. She never swerved, never varied her speed, just continued straight on up the ramp.

While on the Taconic, Diane never honked her horn, is described as having both hands on the wheel in the "10-2" position (by several witnesses), and never swerved or changed lanes (by all witnesses who saw her) despite ALMOST being hit by several other cars prior to the crash. Other drivers were honking at her and several literally had to run off the road to avoid her.

I have no strong opinion about suicide/homicide vs. being very impaired. But based on the actual eyewitness accounts, debating the possibility of suicide is not outside of the realm of possibility.
Good post. :rockon:

I'm sorry, I should have ended that post with JMO, MOO, one of those, I apologize. It is my opinion, one I've been reluctant to put forth, but that is how I see it.

Always MOO

inthedark, you worded your post in a way that made it obvious it was opinion. As far as I'm concerned, you weren't required to qualify your remarks in any other way.

I was just asking because although I understand (sort of) parents killing their own children rather than leaving them behind, I can't make the leap to intentionally killing one's nieces when all one has to do is return them to their parents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Annie151