FL - Ibragim Todashev Shooting Incident, Orlando, 22 May 2013

bessie

Verified Insider
Reaction score
FBI Statement Regarding Shooting Incident in Orlando, Florida

National Press Release
Washington, D.C.
May 29, 2013

The FBI is conducting a review of the May 22, 2013 shooting of Ibragim Todashev, 27, which occurred at Todashev’s residence, at 6022 Peregrine Avenue, Orlando, Florida. The FBI’s shooting incident review team interviews witnesses and gathers information regarding the shooting incident for presentation to a Shooting Incident Review Group (SIRG), which consists of members from the FBI and the Department of Justice. The SIRG examines all of the information and determines the reasonableness of the application of deadly force in accordance with the Department of Justice’s deadly force policy and the law. While this internal review process is occurring, we cannot comment regarding investigative details.
The FBI takes very seriously any shooting incidents involving our agents, and as such, we have an effective, time-tested process for addressing them internally. The review process is thorough and objective and conducted as expeditiously as possible under the circumstances.
FBI shoot and kill Ibragim Todashev in Orlando...
May 22, 2013 1:58 P.M.

ORLANDO, FL (WKMG) - A man from Chechnya with links to one of the Boston bombing suspects was shot and killed by a FBI agent early Wednesday after becoming violent during questioning at an Orlando apartment.
Who is Ibragim Todashev?
May 22, 2013|By Desiree Stennett and Jerriann Sullivan, Orlando Sentinel
Who was Ibragim Todashev?
Was he connected in a meaningful way to the suspects in the Boston Marathon bombings? Did he play a role in the brutal murders of three people in Massachusetts who had their throats slashed?
pixel.gif

pixel.gif

Or was he, as his friends contend, a good guy who just happens to be Chechen — and for that reason had attracted the attention of federal authorities?
FBI must explain death of Ibragim Todashev, suspect in Waltham murders
Boston Globe
Editorial
June 1, 2013

FROM THE beginning, FBI officials’ attempts to explain why an agent shot Ibragim Todashev to death in his Orlando apartment raised more questions than they answered.

Why did it get so quiet when I pointed out that everyone who wants those of us who have concerns about shooting someone 7 times to wait for this “investigation” after I pointed out that everyone is concluding prior to the conclusion of this “investigation” that the shooting was “justified”,.

We all will just have to wait for the investigation to see if anything was justifed.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...clu-ibragim-todashev-20130605,0,1157853.story

The American Civil Liberties Union is calling for an independent investigation into the shooting of Ibragim Todashev by an FBI agent in Orlando two weeks ago.

"What needs to happen, because there has been so much contradictory information released, is an independent and transparent investigation," Michael German, senior policy counsel in the ACLU's legislative office told the Sentinel on Wednesday "Even if mistakes were made, they can be acknowledged and the community can feel that the system is working in the right direction."

Why did it get so quiet when I pointed out that everyone who wants those of us who have concerns about shooting someone 7 times to wait for this “investigation” after I pointed out that everyone is concluding prior to the conclusion of this “investigation” that the shooting was “justified”,.

We all will just have to wait for the investigation to see if anything was justifed.

If the FBI had WANTED to kill this kid, they would not have taken him out in broad daylight in his own home in front of all the witnesses. This was not a 'hit' or a premeditated killing. This was a tragic case of a cocky kid deciding to do a suicide by cop, imo.

easier ....We all will just have to wait for the investigation to see if shooting at someone 7 times could ever be justified

Why do you keep talking about this ' 7 times' business. Do you know how automatic weapons work? You cannot shoot just ONE BULLET. When you pull the trigger SEVERAL shots come out in rapid succession. Do you understand that?

So if the suspect lunged at an agent, the agent is going to point his AUTOMATIC WEAPON and SEVEN BULLETS will automatically come flying out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARIIS
easier ....We all will just have to wait for the investigation to see if shooting at someone 7 times could ever be justified

Why do you keep talking about this ' 7 times' business. Do you know how automatic weapons work? You cannot shoot just ONE BULLET. When you pull the trigger SEVERAL shots come out in rapid succession. Do you understand that?

So if the suspect lunged at an agent, the agent is going to point his AUTOMATIC WEAPON and SEVEN BULLETS will automatically come flying out.

From Boston thread:

CARIIS:easier ....We all will just have to wait for the investigation to see if shooting at someone 7 times could ever be justified

Yes. We will have to wait to see if THIS shooting was justified.

As far as if shooting someone seven times could EVER be justified, that's a different topic.

IMO yes it can.

In general, when you are defending yourself from the threat of death, you shoot until they stop.
7,4,10,6... The number doesn't matter.

If the FBI had WANTED to kill this kid, they would not have taken him out in broad daylight in his own home in front of all the witnesses. This was not a 'hit' or a premeditated killing. This was a tragic case of a cocky kid deciding to do a suicide by cop, imo.
I totally do not believe they wanted to take him out and maul him. NOt at all. I think they had been harassing him for weeks, they had at the start done all this "link to the Boston Bombers, they found nothing and had to state such.

So they start to release triple murder nonsense. After days hours they found nothing there. And I do not know about any of you , but I would be OVER the FBI trailing me, calling me, interupting my friends, basically stalking me for weeks.

And yes after 8 hours I might lose it. Enough charge me, or leave me alone until you have something. Obviously they had nothing. In this case if they had ANYTHING they would have moved with an arrest.

We should b e ashamed of ourselves......................and lots of us are ..........if you look at his friends interview after (link posted before) they killed his friend just sad.

Just sad.....................

That friend told him just meet with them , they are not gonna leave you alone if you dont.

Its just sad, and it is the IMO why all this happens from the start - over there the angle (I concur) is we shoot people this is NOT the way to make friends

All over its sad, its is scary, it is a money back promise they will escalate - in their media FBI of America shot a unarmed one of us

How come noone gets this (well come of us do) we are killing mothers brothers sisters in their model of the world all they are doing is the same.

And it does not matter if some here dont agree with that - that is their model of the world and they will continue and escalate .

We are seeing this.

Its all just awful , its bloody its a drag...............

No I just learned that from you guys - I would go armed based on threat level. If I am in a football game I would bring my auto weapon.

If I stopping by for a chat with a peron ,I would bring a weapon that keeps me safe from a person!!!!!!

Do I need auto weapons in a living room?

Thats high risk for us in the room if he grabbed it

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARIIS

You are right Katy. The FBI changed their guns after a deadly shoot out in Miami in 1986.

1986 FBI Miami shootout

The subsequent FBI investigation placed partial blame for the agents' deaths on the lack of stopping power exhibited by their service handguns. The FBI soon began the search for a more powerful caliber and cartridge. Noting the difficulties of reloading a revolver while under fire, the FBI specified that agents should be armed with semiautomatic handguns.

In addition to the changes made at the FBI, this incident contributed to the increasing trend of law enforcement agencies switching from revolvers to semi-automatic pistols across the nation.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_FBI_Miami_shootout

http://articles.latimes.com/1989-09-12/news/mn-2238_1_fbi-agents

LA Times article dated September 12, 1989

FBI Director William S. Sessions said Monday he has ordered that new semiautomatic 10-millimeter handguns be issued to all of the bureau's 9,700 agents.

The more powerful handguns, which will have the capacity to fire rapidly at least 12 rounds without reloading, will replace the 6-shot revolvers that have been the standard weapon for FBI agents since the 1930s.

So, I agree Katy. That agent probably had a semi-automatic gun that fired in rapid succession.

Just so we have this on our brand new thread:

Here is the FBI's official statement regarding the May 22nd shooting in Orlando dated 5/29/2013

http://m.fbi.gov/#http://www.fbi.go...egarding-shooting-incident-in-orlando-florida

The FBI is conducting a review of the May 22, 2013 shooting of Ibragim Todashev, 27, which occurred at Todashev’s residence, at 6022 Peregrine Avenue, Orlando, Florida. The FBI’s shooting incident review team interviews witnesses and gathers information regarding the shooting incident for presentation to a Shooting Incident Review Group (SIRG), which consists of members from the FBI and the Department of Justice. The SIRG examines all of the information and determines the reasonableness of the application of deadly force in accordance with the Department of Justice’s deadly force policy and the law. While this internal review process is occurring, we cannot comment regarding investigative details.

The FBI takes very seriously any shooting incidents involving our agents, and as such, we have an effective, time-tested process for addressing them internally. The review process is thorough and objective and conducted as expeditiously as possible under the circumstances.

Just so we have this on our brand new thread:

Here is the FBI's official statement regarding the May 22nd shooting in Orlando dated 5/29/2013

http://m.fbi.gov/#http://www.fbi.go...egarding-shooting-incident-in-orlando-florida

Kim, thank you once again. Mark my words, it's not going to be enough though. :banghead::banghead:

Kim, thank you once again. Mark my words, it's not going to be enough though. :banghead::banghead:

At least it'll be easy to find when we need to quote it again.
Page 1
:)

At least it'll be easy to find when we need to quote it again.
Page 1
:)

Just an FYI, I included the entire statement, and the link, in the first post when I opened the thread.

Just an FYI, I included the entire statement, and the link, in the first post when I opened the thread.

Thanks. Even better!
I dug for the correct link in the previous thread and thought it would be neat to have it available on the first page of this one.

1st post is even more convenient.

Thanks again.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken