Identified! AZ - Tucson, WhtFem UP10566, 18-22, in desert, Apr'81 - Brenda Gerow

OkieGranny

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
https://identifyus.org/en/cases/10566

ME247_81ncmec_zpsd1bb97d9.jpg

She was approximately 18 to 22 years old with straight light brown hair, 5'2" tall and 105 pounds. She wore a navy blue blouse with floral puff sleeves, size 3 IHS brand jeans, a blue denim zip-front jacket with red and white striped collar and waistband, a white bra, blue panties, white footsie socks with pink pom-poms, and brown suede lace-up shoes. She had a noticeable white spot on one upper front tooth; no other physical features nor any cause of death noted.

She was found in the desert south of I-10 and 400 yards east of Houghton Road.

There are five rule-outs listed on NamUs:

Cindy Haumann, 1959, Arizona
Cynthia Leslie, 1959, Arizona
Jackie Leslie, 1961, Arizona
Mary Opitz, 1963, Florida
Diane Webb, 1942, Arizona

This one hits close to home; I turned 19 a few days after this girl was found.

Dean Marie Peters

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/p/peters_dean.html

She has dark brown rather than light brown hair, but everything else seems to fit. She went missing from MI, but her family later moved to AZ so maybe she had some connections there.

*Update: I realized that they both have DNA submitted according to NamUS, so I would think that this match would have already come up!

On a side note, am I the only one that thinks this reconstruction looks a lot like Maura Murray? It's obviously not her because of the timing, but I keep thinking of Maura when I see this girl's face.

I wish they would've made our UID's hair a little darker in the image above. At first glance it seems like we should be looking for a blonde and it's throwing me off a little.

*Update: I realized that they both have DNA submitted according to NamUS, so I would think that this match would have already come up!

I'm still new to all this and still learning; just yesterday I looked up the differences between mitDNA, nucDNA, and Y-STR, and am not at all sure how automatic matching works. Deanie's profile only says "tests complete" and our UID has a CODIS number for nucDNA, so if Deanie's is mitDNA there may not be an automatic match. Also, the box for "tests not complete" is still ticked on the UID, so maybe that could prevent an automatic match as well? I really have no idea; maybe someone better informed can jump in and help us understand.

My best guess so far is Carol Elaine Donn, who went missing from Florida in January of '81. The problem in her case is that she has an appendix scar and a tattoo and our UID apparently does not. She's also a little taller and a little heavier. FWIW, here's the side-by-sides:

39c9f2c2-546e-4c75-88aa-39b3d33d74e2_zps70604794.jpg
25ee71e1-9c4b-41f3-bed1-6c899e23a96d_zps4bd067dd.jpg
ecc1fec4-7e7a-4b12-812c-179530279a37_zps9d4ea101.jpg

Just looking at the circumstances, I don't see Deanie's body being anywhere outside of Western Michigan. Her disappearance appears on the face of it to be the work of someone within her circle of acquaintances.

BTW, Laurie Allison Smith was the first person to come to mind when I saw Tucson and that timeframe. But I can definitely rule her out on the dental chart. Laurie had her four first bicuspids removed for braces.

white_christina4.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/w/white_christina.html

Christina Lee White went missing April 28, 1979, she was 12 years old, so a bit under the estimated age range. The facial similarities are there, but most important is the "noticeable white spots on her front teeth" for her distinguishing characteristics.....

Wow! Good find on the white spots on her teeth!

I don't know much about her case, but based on her Charley Project page, it sounds like they have a POI who operated in WA and ID. It seems unlikely that she ended up in AZ, but still certainly possible.

Wow! Good find on the white spots on her teeth!

I don't know much about her case, but based on her Charley Project page, it sounds like they have a POI who operated in WA and ID. It seems unlikely that she ended up in AZ, but still certainly possible.

Yes, the Investigators suspect that Christina was his first victim, could be that he held her captive before murdering her. The murder of Kristin David occurred in July 1981, 3 months after this Jane's, the murder of the step-sisters (and disappearance of S. Pearsall) happened in September, 1982. Could be that the suspect found that he "liked" to kill.....
Good links to read on the suspect; http://www.krem.com/news/crime/Lewiston-couple-creating-documentary-on-late--164828406.html
http://www.truecrimediary.com/index.cfm?page=cases&id=117

9OYS Crime Watch
Murder mystery: Deputies hope new facial image cracks cold case
By Marcelino Benito

CREATED 11:33 AM - UPDATED: 10:25 PM

6/25/13

Facial reconstruction & they have the clothing.

It's a brutal murder dating back to 1981...AZ

The victim was described as a Caucasian woman with blond hair, between 18 and 22-years-old, 5’ 3” tall, between 100 to 110 pounds with a white opaque spot on one of her front teeth.

She was found wearing a navy blue Chain Reaction brand blouse that had red sleeves with floral print., H.I.S. brand blue jeans with a patch near the left rear pocket, white ankle socks with pink pom-poms and brown, suede type, earth shoes.

more clothing description & video at link & it might help. Watch the video. I'll screen cap tomorrow.

http://www.kgun9.com/news/regional/212993461.html

i noticed the clothing brand "chain reaction" there is an unidentified girl found in belanglo state forest, nsw australia with the same name for girls. I wonder if the clothing label is the same...

I'm going to suggest Laureen Rahm here. She fits the general physical description and while NH is a long way from AZ, the circumstances of her disappearance suggest that she certainly could have been out west within a year. I see a similarity in the nose.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/204dfnh.html

Laureen Rahm's pic sent shivers down my spine compared to the UID. I wish i was clever enough to put them on here side by side

e7epabyt.jpg

gavyta6a.jpg

Date Jane Doe found: April 8, 1981

Location of Jane Doe: The body was found in the desert southeast of the Pima County Fairgrounds.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Victim Description:
She is Caucasian
blonde hair
18 to 22 years old
5'3" tall
100 to 110 pounds

Distinguishable marks: a white opaque spot on one of her front teeth.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jane Doe's personal Affects:
-a Chain Reaction brand blouse with a navy blue bodice and red floral print sleeves.

-Size 3 H.I.S. brand blue jeans - with a patch near the left rear pocket

- White ankle socks with pink pom-poms

- Brown Suede "earth shoes".
+ items found NEAR the scene:

- an OOPs California brand jacket in Blue Denim with red and white striped cuffs and red and white stripped collar was located near the victim.

- Also found nearby was a second light blue jacket.

-------------------------------------------------------

Authorities are treating the case as a homicide because of signs of trauma on the body.

If you recognize this person or have information about this case you are urged to call 911 or 88-CRIME.

Praying someone somewhere will claim this victim... Someone has been missing their sister/daughter for too long.

Just found a WAY more detailed article on crime stoppers that sheds so much more light on this investigation! Btw rumor has it that although her hair was blonde in the sketch, in reality it is brown.

***Summary: Two men hunting rabbits in the area noticed a jacket hanging from a tree and upon approaching found the body of a young woman lying in a wash under a tree, according to Arizona Daily Star archives.***

*The young woman had been strangled* and had *bruises on her face*, indicating there may have been a struggle. She also had *scratches on her arms* that may have been caused by running or walking through brush.

Investigators believe that the woman, who was between 18 and 22 years old, *had been dead for about 48 hours when the hunters found her at about 1 p.m.*

More than two decades later, the victim has yet to be identified, St. John said. She was 5 feet 2 inches tall, weighed 108 pounds, was fair skinned and had shoulder-length ***light brown hair.***

<modsnip>

How You Can Help: Contact St. John at 740-5727 or the Sheriff's Department cold case unit at 351-4810. Or call 88-CRIME, the anonymous tip line of the Pima County Attorney's Office.

- Alexis Huicochea

Crime Stoppers

Info sought on woman found dead in 1981

Your help is needed

The Arizona Daily Star and local public safety agencies are teaming up to report on a different unsolved case or fugitive each week. Please contact authorities if you have information that can solve these violent crimes."

http://azstarnet.com/news/local/cri...cle_db2c79f7-5a69-54d1-8f0c-6adca6de4c55.html

Just throwing this out there. I remember H.I.S. brand and Earth shoes from back then. Both were a bit pricey for someone who didnt have a lot of money. The shoes would have been the original higher end Earth shoes, not the ones like Wal~Mart has sold in recent years.i think H.I.S. sold from their own stores. They had a women's brand I think, H.I.S. For Her.

Possibly she was a recent run away, hadnt been on the streets for long, or had just run away and hooked up with the fair or hitched a ride to the area so that she wouldn't have been looked for in this area.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suesleuth
Back