George Zimmerman /Trayvon Martin Discussion Thread #10 Mon. July 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it just me or do any of our friends here who are females of a certain age now want to go to MMA class?

just kidding, this sounds like real beat you up fighting, not wrasslin'. I bet it's a heck of a workout, though. IMO

One of my good friends is Haitian. She sounds nothing like RJ. RJ did not sound at all to me to have the same accent or manner of talking. She sounded like a teen who spoke most likely like where she lived. Terms common to her and the neighborhoods she grew up in.

OMO

Phonetics was so important that when our child's public elementary school went to 'whole language", his teacher told us parents not to worry, she will still be teaching phonics also. Whole language was a whole lot of crap, IMO.

When I started school in 1958, the new educational fad was 'see and say' and teachers were told not to teach phonics. My parents were outraged, as were the other parents of my classmates, and my 64 year old teacher assured them she would teach both methods no matter what. I was lucky!

Is it just me or do any of our friends here who are females of a certain age now want to go to MMA class?

just kidding, this sounds like real beat you up fighting, not wrasslin'. I bet it's a heck of a workout, though. IMO

MMA is a big deal these days. Check out Spike or perhaps NBCSports channels. It's a more brutal (but legal and refereed) form of fighting.

I know that the prosecution is trying to assert that it wasn't possible for George to both be smothered and scream at the same time, based on his accounts of that night.

Here's something to consider... John Good testifies to seeing the fight on the grass first, and then it moves up to the concrete. It's totally plausible to me that when Trayvon got George on the ground in the grass, he immediately covered his mouth and nose putting George in to a panic.

From there, it moved up to the side walk where Trayvon grabbed his head and started putting it against pavement, opening up the opportunity for George to start screaming at that point. If they were relatively low to the ground, and George was struggling in response, his head injuries may not have been severe as opposed to somebody who is standing upright and gets thrown to the ground on concrete. So the fact that the cuts to the back of the head are not severe, indicates to me that potentially his head was thrashing back and forth on the pavement or being knocked from a close distance from the ground. He did have abrasions/rash-like injuries as well as the two open cuts.

The fact that George can't remember the sequence from exact moment to exact moment is not rare. People in these circumstances usually are not able to say the precise way everything happened, especially when it happens in a very short time frame.

In my opinion, it's totally plausible that he was briefly smothered, creating panic, and then the head on pavement and Trayvon's hands near his gun pushed him over the edge, as far as fear is concerned.

The prosecution's argument that he couldn't have had the opportunity to scream doesn't work for me.

IMO

Side note: my mother has beautiful handwriting and I've always wished mine was nearly as nice. I guess they used to have "penmanship" class in school and it is a shame that has been lost over the years. I guess they struggle, time-wise, to get in the "required" lessons and penmanship was one of the things that was dropped along the way. Just a guess on my part.
The thing to do to seriously improve your penmanship is to buy a decent fountain pen. Once you start using one regularly you will find that you actually want to make your handwriting better.

I find it hard to believe that anyone who can read print would have a hard time to read cursive. 90% of the letters look identical and a 90% of the rest come pretty close.

No. It's not that a person's voice sounds different to everyone on recording. One's voice sounds different to oneself on recording. We hear our voice reverberate in our head when we speak and most people are very surprised when they first hear their voice on a recording. (Serino tried to explain this phenomenon.) I know that I was stunned… and I'm a singer. I could not believe how high pitched my voice is. I thought it was much deeper. JMO. OMO. MOO.

Exactly IMO. Whenever I have heard a recording of my own voice, I don't think it sounds like me.

Witness: GZ trained in MMA for less than a year. On a scale of 1-10 for ability, witness would give him a .5

The woman who does my nails has only been in this country for 8 years and English is her second language. Her cursive writing is beautiful. JMO. OMO. MOO.
OIf course she was taught in another country.

The Prosecution did not use this witness did they??? I don't remember him and if they did not, it is very telling to me. This shows that he was no MMA expert. He was trying and then just never had talent for it...

OMO

Exactly IMO. Whenever I have heard a recording of my own voice, I don't think it sounds like me.

Me either and I cringe when I hear it also; heck, I'd probably claim it doesn't sound like me either with the way I sound :shudder

The Prosecution did not use this witness did they??? I don't remember him and if they did not, it is very telling to me. This shows that he was no MMA expert. He was trying and then just never had talent for it...

OMO

Never saw him before and considering what he is saying, I'm not surprised the prosecution would not have him testify.

That depends on the school. My son learned it in 3rd grade..

No, it's no longer taught in any Florida public school, and hasn't been for a long time (I don't know about private schools).

However, DD#4 (going into 8th grade this year), has had keyboarding (typing for us old folks), since 3rd grade.

It's all about the FCATs here, and there is no grade for cursive :(

GZ went from a 0.5 to maybe a 1.5 in athleticism. Hardly a pro fighter IMO.

Me either and I cringe when I hear it also; heck, I'd probably claim it doesn't sound like me either with the way I sound :shudder

I just heard my own voice on a friend's cellphone video and didn't recognize my own voice. That's totally not what I think I sound like!

My child learned in third grade as well.

Believe me, I remember well; she hated learning it and said "she was too evolved to learn cursive"

LOL at her comment:floorlaugh: You're gonna have you hands full when she gets older! :scared:

I even asked before, on hearing my own voice on someone's answering machine. I actually asked, incredulous, is that ME? Your own voice doesn't sound the same to everyone else as it does to you inside your head.

if he were trying to pretend that was him on the recording, it's highly unlikely GZ would have said that doesn't sound like me. IMHO

I just heard my own voice on a friend's cellphone video and didn't recognize my own voice. That's totally not what I think I sound like!

I have heard my voice on my answering machine message. It sounds so awful to me that I will not speak in media in which my voice can be played.

JMO

Yes when I heard her background, I listened for that 'islands' accent, but did not hear it at all. I love that accent. Rachel just sounded like what my mom used to call a 'mush-mouth'.

My friend and her MIL and Husband are all from haiti and are lyrical in their speaking.. It is beautiful... And it is distinctive.. I heard nothing from her that was not typical American Regional speak..

I remember when I was living in NJ and our english teacher was horrified over the way we said Garbage and Math... She tried to change it but it was just there in our dialect.. sadly.. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member