George Zimmerman /Trayvon Martin General Discussion #14 Friday July 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've gone through life (I'm 53) quite peacefully, being vigilant of my surroundings when out on my own, and in general I make an effort to be both friendly and helpful to people I've encountered in life. I never, ever want to have to place my life in the hands of a 'jury of peers'. 30 years ago I would have no problem with trusting a jury of my peers to judge my actions in light of the law. Today? Fagghedaboudit!!

This country and culture has changed so much and I feel surrounded by crazy, and all I have to do is read comments about this case to know it. This forum is blissfully civil, but I still read a lot of opinions that make my eyes pop out and my jaw drop.

IMO

And that's a damn shame.
Yes, it is a shame, I agree. A shame for Trayvon Martin and those who loved him. Also for George Zimmerman and his loved ones. And for those of us who can see ourselves in either of these two guy's places that night...IMO

You are correct. The meaning refers to the man who 'cracked' the whip on the plantations keeping the slaves in line. Funny thing to me though is that when I think of raceism, I think of white vs black. GZ was Hispanic right. Just to me demonstrates the racism against some races without even confirmation. Is that not profiling? jmo

That's odd. When you think of racism, you think of white vs black?

Racism comes in all colors.

It's horrible no matter which way it's pointed.

JMO

I spent many weekends claiming Big Kennesaw and Little Kennesaw when I lived in Atlanta. Mandatory gun possession. Alright.

They also recently passed the mandatory gun in every household law in Nelson, Ga.

Yep and lots of those "children" are criminals, with parents who didn't care enougn to make sure they were at home at night. If my 17 year old wanted something from a store, I would drive them. To walk alone at night, no matter WHO you are, is not wise.

That's a nice judgment to make but I guess it demonstrates the different worlds people come from. I used to walk everywhere as a child from around the age of 9. To the store, to the Taco Bell, to my friend's house, to school. All the kids in my neighborhood did. It doesn't make someone a bad parent, even if it's not ideal. I got into a bad situation once but my parents worked and I had to walk home from school.

But I don't get what that has to do with this case.

Yes because they could run into an over zealous watch captain IMO

No...... Because you LOVE them and don't want them to get hurt, even if their 17 year old brain tells them they are some kind of tough guy who can go around beating up the neighborhood watch guy! My point is that it isn't safe nowadays. And I am so thankful for the neighborhood watch groups in this country!

Does anyone know if this thread will remain open during jury deliberations? Maybe if we all continue to be nice to each other it will. Just wondering because IMO deliberations could last anywhere from 2 hours to several days.

BBM

Only if we give the mods gift certificate to BevMo afterwards. For those who are not familiar with these stores, it's a very large warehouse containing all forms of alcoholic beverages. It's a beautiful, holy place. :)

IMO

Since IMO most of the evidence is open to interpretation, but not all, for instance, the fact that TM's DNA was not on the gun but GZ's was, is not open to interpretation. It is a fact. Eyewitness interpretation is open to interpretation and question. Are they truthful? Is what they are saying possible? So, IMO, the jury will make a decision based on their interpretation of the evidence. I believe much of it is open to interpretation and a lot of it is unbelievable, i.e. Zimmerman's versions. I would vote for guilt, but it will be interesting seeing what verdict comes out of the jury room.

I think the term "Fact" is being thrown around carelessy when clearly some of what was presented is not "Fact," but opinion and conjecture.

I don't have a gun or a gun permit, nor does anyone in my household. I believe George acted in self defense, and this situation makes me reconsider whether or not to have a gun. IMO George would have been severely injured or dead if not for his gun. IMO George acted within his rights, and if other law abiding citizens acted like George, maybe we wouldn't have as much crime in our society. Many people here are saying George should have just "stayed in his car", or "minded his own business". In my opinion, that is what criminals count on, people not wanting to get involved!

BTW: I am not saying TM was a criminal, and in fact, he acted within his right to walk in the rain with a hoodie,<mod snip> Does that not look odd, especially in a neighborhood that even by the prosecution's admittance, had an elevated rate of crime?

IMO, MOO, and all the other cows!

BBM - this is IMO why this case has such dramatic consequences. Trayvon was walking and talking and being a teen through a neighborhood of which he most likely had no idea regarding the criminal activity level of nor cared about. I feel reasonable in saying that in that Trayvon did not live there - which also sets him up for being suspicious to anyone who knew the neighborhood and the people in the neighborhood. Most folks hide from the rain, but not everyone does, some people enjoy the rain, me included. This in turn sets George up to assume there may be an upcoming issue about to develop because he does know the crime level of the neighborhood and he knows a mother and her child hid desperately when robbers broke in.

I can look at this and see multiple victims, which include both Trayvon and George, neither of which IMO were wrong in what they were doing in the beginning. Both of these individuals could have changed the end result had they either ran on home or had they returned to their vehicle and waited for police. Neither did, decisions have consequences, but in this case and in my opinion, both are victims of circumstance and neither should be vilified because of the circumstance. I do however know, that if someone wants to jump on me and try to pound away, they better bring their lunchbox because it is going to take a while.

You would also have to throw out RJ's testimony too because she is an "admitted" liar.

IMO

LOL. I would have thought with all those people around her "coaching" her she could have come up with a better lie. Most of what she said was consistent with what she had originally stated. O'Mara admitted most of her lies were about herself, her age, her unavailability for the funeral, etc. because she just did not want to get involved. Her testimony about telling TM GZ could be a sexual predator and the look on her face when she said that made me think she believes she contributed to this by making TM fearful. She is having a great deal of trouble dealing with this still. I do hope someone gets her some grief counseling because she does look as if she is struggling with this issue. jmo

If the tables were turned and TM was charged, he would be charged as an adult. I'm pretty sure nobody would think of him as a 'boy' or 'child'.

Just saying...

If TM were charged, we would know nothing about this case and the trial would not be televised. IMO

NO HE WAS AT. She stated HE said he was AT his daddy's house.. as referenced with a link to the testimony in the last post about this.

I've now posted the link twice. Please look up thread.

Rachel testified that he said "he almost right by his Daddy's fiance's house".

Facts in evidence. :wink:

It's really a shame that its so easy to lump all teens into one group or assign some nefarious intent to the dead victim in this case.

I guess I don't understand this adversarial mindset so many have with teenagers. Fact.. you're much more likely to be assaulted by an adult male.

Who one is most likey to be attacked by depends entirely - IMO - on where one lives. I also think that those who live in affluent suburbs (for example) where the police respond promptly when summoned have no idea what's it like to live in a high violent crime urban environment where they do not.

You are correct. The meaning refers to the man who 'cracked' the whip on the plantations keeping the slaves in line. Funny thing to me though is that when I think of raceism, I think of white vs black. GZ was Hispanic right. Just to me demonstrates the racism against some races without even confirmation. Is that not profiling? jmo
It didn't mean that anywhere I lived (Nashville, New Orleans, Huntsville, Little Rock} It meant exactly what is says, a cracker like salteens. It is like the slur "Casper", it means white.

:twocents:

"Cracker" refers to the white color of the skin. Pale as a cracker.

IMHO

If someone were beating the crap out of me, my son, my husband, or anyone else, I would expect them to have the right to defend themselves by whatever means it takes. GZ did not have the physical ability to defend himself in any other way, because he isn't a fighter, and especially against an aggressive fighter such as TM. Where did TM get his practice, IDK, as he also appeared to have been quite skilled for a 17 y/o, imo.

I remained neutral and had not formed an opinion at all, until I saw the actual evidence in this case. I honestly had paid little attention to it until this last week. Didn't even pay attention to it when it happened because I was turned off by all the media hype and allegations of "racism". That, because I learned they were both a "minority", thus I refused to listen at all.

My concern now, after all the evidence is in, is whatever happened to the rights of an American citizen to be able to defend oneself against an aggressor. I am now appalled this case ever went to trial.

I said I wasn't going to get involved in this trial because it is too divisive, as evidenced by the posts I read here. I'm really going to reign myself in now, as I've said enough. That, partially because I have friends here on WS that I still consider friends even if they don't agree with me. Everyone has the right to their opinion. jmo

Every human profiles daily. It's our nature.

When you see someone for the first time, your mind automatically forms a first impression.

That is, in fact, profiling.

JMO

pro·fil·ing
[proh-fahy-ling]

noun
the use of personal characteristics or behavior patterns to make generalizations about a person, as in gender profiling .

the use of these characteristics to determine whether a person may be engaged in illegal activity, as in racial profiling .

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/profiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member