GUILTY CA - Terry Smith, 11, autistic, Menifee, 6 July 2013

I heard a clip from a Riverside LE officer stating that he thought that the boy could have been buried there during their prior searches and that it was not until he was partially exposed (his opinion-by animals) that he could be found.

That doesn't sound right to me. Were the dogs present in the initial searches only tracking dogs? If so, would tracking dogs hit/alert on buried human remains? If other animals were able to detect remains and partially excavate him then why weren't the search dogs able to pick anything up?

Also the officer said that he personally had searched that specific area early on. Does that mean that the ground looked undisturbed at that time?

It seems more likely to me that Terry was placed there after the initial searches as well. But then that poses the question of why they would allow the area to be searched again the night he was found, unless the parties granting permission were unaware Terry was buried there or knew and wanted the ordeal to be over. I would be interested to know if the 16 yo was among the family members that was asked that night about searching.

Does anyone know if the search warrant issued the following day was just protocol or had the family refuse entry without it?

When I initially heard that dogs had not picked up Terry's scent, I took it to mean it appeared he did not have a scent "leaving" so, I always thought he was either still on the premises or he had been removed/carried off via a vehicle.

If he was placed in his final resting spot after the intial search of the property, I wonder where his body was prior. If the SB confided in his Mom what had transpired...maybe she & her SO attempted to hide Terry until he could be buried after...in an attempt to throw off the search...?

Sadly...mom's have been known to go to any lengths to protect their children...even when they commit the most heinous of crimes.

I don't think this family had any idea the magnitude of what these hundreds of searchers & LE were capable of accomplishing to find this boy...and of course one special lady who brought it all to an end.

So many questions that only time will tell and unfortunately...we never really know if in the end we really do hear the real truth. :-/

I see a common link in a lot of the threads here and mostly IMO is it the mothers who put there own needs and wants before they put their childrens needs.It makes me realize just how blessed I was with a mother who put her 3 daughters before herself.It seems a lot of down right selfishness on a mothers part that leads to many needless deaths!

I completely agree with you and did the same with my five children...and would do it all the same a million times over. In fact, there are times now as grown children it seems it never really ends...we never stop watching out for them and wanting to protect them.

With that said...I also am open to appreciate what happened in this family for this all to get to this point.

It all goes back to us as parents...no matter what our troubles from our own childhoods, lives were...we need to make the best efforts to keep our own children safe, well cared for in order for them to grow up to be loving, nuturing human beings.

So sorry you went thru that. I was abused by my sister also.
Its one heck of a way to live. Did you share a room with her too? I did.
I wonder how much Terry went through. So so sad.

No, thank God! I spent most of the time barricading the door to my room when she got angry, as a matter of fact. My door had holes in it from her kicks and punches! (She could keep it up for hours :( ).

I'm so sorry your sister was a violent bully, too. It's just wrong (even if there is a mental thing going on).

Terry Smith's Half Brother to Be Charged With Murder: DA

The 16-year-old half brother of a boy who went missing in semirural Menifee will be charged with his younger sibling's murder, authorities said Friday.

The Riverside County District Attorney's Office announced Friday that it "made the decision to file a murder charge" against SA, 16, in the death of Terry Smith Jr.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l...uspect-in-Death-of-Terry-Smith-215246431.html

Terry Smith half-brother SA faces murder charge

Terry Smith’s half-brother will be charged with murder in the death of the 11-year-old Menifee boy, the Riverside County District Attorney’s Office announced Friday.

The office decided to file charges Friday against SA, 16, who was arrested Wednesday. The process of filing charges was ongoing, the office said Friday.

http://www.mydesert.com/article/201...lf-brother-Skylor-Atilano-faces-murder-charge

The first hearing is scheduled for Monday at 8 a.m.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013...f-brother-of-menifee-boy-charged-with-murder/

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Bumping this post from Salem. It appears MSM is beginning to name Terry's murderer in the press. According to Websleuths rules, unless he is charged as an adult, please use his initials only. We likely won't know until Monday, so please make every effort to change names to initials for now.

Posting this, so everybody knows and understands the rules regarding discussion of minors.

MINORS: Websleuths.com™ does not allow the naming of, or photographs of, minors (children under the age of 18) on the Site unless the child is a missing or deceased person or where law enforcement has identified the minor as a perpetrator of a crime and the minor will be tried as an adult. If a missing child is found and it is learned that such minor was the victim of child exploitation, references to the child’s name and likeness will be removed, and further posting of such information will not be allowed.

Salem

Coming late to this conversation but while searching for pictures of the accused I came across this description of Terry from his Mother:

He is approachable, somewhat," Smith said, adding he is sensitive to water and becomes frightened if water touches the top of his head. On a Facebook page dedicated to finding Terry, Smith noted that her son climbs rocks, but not trees or fences. He won’t enter a home, boat or parking area. He likes animals and will respond to his name.

http://www.ibtimes.com/menifee-autistic-boy-hundreds-search-missing-terry-smith-california-photo-1337849#

Half Brother to Be Charged With Murder of 11-Year-Old Terry Smith: DA

The 16-year-old half brother of a boy who went missing in semirural Menifee, Calif., will be charged with his younger sibling's murder, authorities said Friday.

The Riverside County District Attorney's Office announced Friday that it "made the decision to file a murder charge" against SA, 16, in the death of Terry Smith Jr.

The four-day search for 11-year-old Terry generated a massive effort involving many volunteers who were devastated when a body was found in a shallow grave early Wednesday. Terry had been reported missing Sunday, July 7, by his mother, who said he had autism

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l...uspect-in-Death-of-Terry-Smith-215246431.html

Hundreds Gather for Prayer Vigil in Memory of Menifee Boy

vigiltop.jpg

Well over 1,000 people from throughout Menifee and surrounding communities packed the parking lot of Menifee Market tonight to pay their respects and pray for the soul of 11-year-old Terry Dewayne Smith Jr., whose body police believe is the one found in a shallow grave in the family's back yard this morning.

Lighting candles, carrying blue balloons and exchanging hugs and prayers, residents gathered in a show of community support most agree has never been seen here before.

"I'm so proud of my community," said Crystal Young, a Menifee resident who said she chose to raise her children here and has never regretted it.

http://www.menifee247.com/2013/07/hundreds-gather-for-prayer-in-memory-of-menifee-boy.html

Snipped............................

This community came together like nothing I've ever seen," Gillette said. "The outpouring of love for JuJu (Terry's nickname) is incredible. That love will continue."

Dozens of blue and orange balloons were released into the sky in memory of the boy, who was remembered by both young and old.

Jason Reeves of Menifee is the den leader of Tiger Cubs Den 4 in Cub Scout Pack 444. Following the den's regular meeting today, he brought the boys to the vigil in uniform.

"We're here to help others and obey the law of the pack, like we're supposed to do," Reeves said. "In doing so, we're here to be of service for anyone who needs it...

vigil7.jpg

vigil8.jpg

http://www.menifee247.com/2013/07/hundreds-gather-for-prayer-in-memory-of-menifee-boy.html

Bumping again.

It appears MSM is beginning to name Terry's murderer in the press. According to Websleuths rules, unless he is charged as an adult, please use his initials only. We likely won't know until Monday, so please make every effort to change names to initials for now.

Posting this, so everybody knows and understands the rules regarding discussion of minors.

MINORS: Websleuths.com™ does not allow the naming of, or photographs of, minors (children under the age of 18) on the Site unless the child is a missing or deceased person or where law enforcement has identified the minor as a perpetrator of a crime and the minor will be tried as an adult. If a missing child is found and it is learned that such minor was the victim of child exploitation, references to the child’s name and likeness will be removed, and further posting of such information will not be allowed.

Salem

I'm finding this whole thing odd. When looking at FB posts from his real dad (He's got all the links to the fund to bring Terry home there and it was linked on the Menifee 24/7 page) over the last few hours, he's sharing funny pics and his loss over the death of Jackie Chan?? I guess I just need to accept some people grieve differently.. Poor Terry. Sigh...

I heard a clip from a Riverside LE officer stating that he thought that the boy could have been buried there during their prior searches and that it was not until he was partially exposed (his opinion-by animals) that he could be found.

That doesn't sound right to me. Were the dogs present in the initial searches only tracking dogs? If so, would tracking dogs hit/alert on buried human remains? If other animals were able to detect remains and partially excavate him then why weren't the search dogs able to pick anything up?

Also the officer said that he personally had searched that specific area early on. Does that mean that the ground looked undisturbed at that time?

It seems more likely to me that Terry was placed there after the initial searches as well. But then that poses the question of why they would allow the area to be searched again the night he was found, unless the parties granting permission were unaware Terry was buried there or knew and wanted the ordeal to be over. I would be interested to know if the 16 yo was among the family members that was asked that night about searching.

Does anyone know if the search warrant issued the following day was just protocol or had the family refuse entry without it?

I remember reading way back on page one I believe they used Bloodhounds!
I think when they expect to find evidence on a property they get a searc warrant that way the homeowner cant turn around and say I never let them in here.

I'm finding this whole thing odd. When looking at FB posts from his real dad (He's got all the links to the fund to bring Terry home there and it was linked on the Menifee 24/7 page) over the last few hours, he's sharing funny pics and his loss over the death of Jackie Chan?? I guess I just need to accept some people grieve differently.. Poor Terry. Sigh...

Jackie Chan died?

Warning- Upsetting to read. (I wish she would have left the kids in the car. Jmo)
"My kids said ... 'Mom, there's a dead animal' and I walked over and said, 'Oh my gosh, that's not an animal,'" she recalled. "He was partially exposed and we were looking at it almost in shock. My son started throwing up and my daughter was screaming and crying."
http://www.seattlepi.com/news/crime...inst-CA-dead-boy-s-brother-4661288.php#page-2

Just passing on a notice that can be found on the main "find terry" page- they are requesting for NO ONE to donate any further to any of the sudden "charities". Both the father and mother. They have closed the donations accepted at the bank as well, as there is more than enough to assist with burial. Please please be sure where you are donating funds if you choose to!

I would be really interested to hear the thoughts or opinions of any SAR people who are WS members here on how any prior searches of the area where the child's body was finally discovered in could have been passed over by bloodhounds and searchers in the days prior to him being found?

I've heard some ideas tossed around & wonder what you think?

- body wasn't in this final location at the time of the initial searches of the property...but, moved there later?

- clothes of the victim provided by family for scent purposes were not actually the victims clothes (maybe to throw off the search dogs)?

- would the search dogs (bloodhounds) used in the search of the victims property be able to pick up a deceased person or do you need a cadaver dog specifically?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back