MI MI - Jessica Heeringa, 25, Norton Shores, 26 April 2013 #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out for a drive over the weekend around where I live and I started paying attention to the number of cameras that are up. It's quite amazing. Cameras are everywhere. On exterior buildings, inside retail stores, along the highways, all around road construction sites and intersections, etc. Someone has good video of the van, it's just a matter of finding, again, probably too late since so much time has transpired. On the downside our privacy is being invaded. Big brother watching everyone now.

Long time WS member first time posting on Jessica's thread. I have developed an interest in this case and from all of the pages of discussion I can see many of you have as well. I wanted to post after reading everything and share my opinions.

First there are 2 big things that stand out that make me feel the perp was familiar to the station the lack of cameras and the lights being off in the back as stated by the witness. I will address my thoughts on the lights first as my comments on the cams are a lot longer.

I believe it was the fellow employee that saw the lights in back were off and normally they should be on. While it is possible that Jessica had turned off the lights to start closing to me it doesn't make sense as she had not yet taken out the trash. Posters have noted that there is some distance between the dumpster and the gas station so why would she want to turn out the lights prior to dumping the trash?

Has it been confirmed anywhere that LE in fact found the lights in back off when they arrived? I would assumed the switches have been dusted for prints and there are many ways to avoid leaving them but my gut says that Jessica did not turn them off and that in turn tells me the perp knows the lay of the store being a frequent customer or even a past/present employee. I would assume LE has verified the alibi of all present employees but have they gone back to research all past employees? I sure hope so!

Was the backdoor one that locked automatically when shut or did the employee need to engage the lock from inside? The perp could have parked around the side/back area and gone through the front as a friendly customer then he could have taken Jess out the back door turning the lights off as the passed the switch or if it doesn't auto lock Jess could have unlocked it in prep to take the trash out. That doesn't sound likely to me though as I think the cash drawer would have been secured prior to unlatching the back door.

It would be helpful to know if any of the customers prior to the abduction noticed the lights and if they were off for a good part of the evening or if they had been on for a time. Regardless I think that the perp had a good feel of the layout in the store prior to abducting Jessica.

The lack of cameras. I realize they may not have prevented this from happening but on the other hand they may have deterred it from happening at this location. I understand people hold up banks and drug stores that are known to have cameras but normally they make an effort to conceal their identity. Their intentions are also a lot different than what I feel the perp had in mind in abducting Jessica. He knew that the store was still open and that a customer could come at any moment and if that happened he would want to quickly blend in as another customer and wearing a mask would stand out. I believe that he was aware that there were no cameras again either by visiting the store often or y working there at some time prior. Jess seemed like a good employee so I doubt she would tell anyone if there were or weren't cameras.

I believe that the person that abducted Jess did so because they had seen her before and developed feelings toward her. She is a beautiful woman and most likely got second glances from many men. I think that the perp saw her and perhaps began imagining what his life would be like to date Jessica. He likely pictured several times what their life together would be like and looked forward to seeing her when he went to the gas station. He also very likely knew which car she drove if he was a regular and perhaps when the van was seen earlier in the night he was checking things out and seeing if her car was there.

From what we have seen Jess appeared to be in a happy relationship and calling her fiancee to let him know she would be coming home quickly after work shows it was a happy place that she wanted to be so if the perp did make any sort of advances toward her I feel she would have politely turned him down. She probably had many customers that would flirt innocently and she may have joked around in return with their comments but I don't. Not wanting to be rude to a customer she likely would have been polite in saying something like I am in a relationship and even that could set off someone that has been obsessing over her. That being said girls like to gossip and talk. Had certain customers tried hitting on her most women would mention it with their female co workers and it often turns into a running joke. It would be really helpful to know the kinds of convos Jess had with fellow employees and if she ever talked about certain customers flirting with her.

I know that some locals have gone to the scene and driven the route the van did but I was wondering have any of you gone down at the same time of night and sat in the same area the witness described, I think it was a guitar store? If so how well could the side/back area be seen from that location? It was said the lights were off so I would assume the immediate area was dark. If you stand in that area and a friend drives by you at night can you see their face clearly? I know I have a hard time seeing inside a moving car at night and if I could give a description of someone in a moving vehicle that I would have been making an effort to do so for a reason.

In regard to the blood that was found to be Jessica's do we know if it was found during the initial search of the crime scene or was it found later? If her blood was found there and nowhere else inside that tells me that the struggle happened in that location. If something had happened elsewhere it would be probable that there would be blood droplets in other locations as well. What types of things did they do as far as search and collection of possible hair or fibers that could be tested? Did they ever bring in a dog to try and track her scent?

You mentioned....
QUOTE...From what we have seen Jess appeared to be in a happy relationship and calling her fiancee to let him know she would be coming home quickly after work shows it was a happy place that she wanted to be so if the perp did make any sort of advances toward her I feel she would have politely turned him down. UNQUOTE.

In this video at 12 seconds Dakotah says it was him that called Jessica. Jessica did not call him.
"No, just calling to see how work was going and uh you know just seeing how fast she was gonna be outta there..."

http://startingpoint.blogs.cnn.com/2013/05/01/mom-jessica-heeringa-likely-lured-from-work/

There is also a video that I posted awhile back that a reporter said that Jessica's cellphone was found at the Exxon station. Now Jessica and Dakotah shared a cellphone that Dakotah actually had.
Did Jessica have a second phone?
Is it possible the lights were turned off because Jessica may have wanted to talk to the individual behind the store without others watching? IMOO.

:seeya::seeya:
I found this article that states when the blood from Jessica was found and collected....

"Police Chief Daniel Shaw said the small amount of blood evidence was collected April 26 -- the night Heeringa disappeared -- and the next day outside the gas station on Sternberg Road. He would not disclose the exact location of where the samples were taken."

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local/muskegon_county/police-heeringas-blood-found-at-work

The one car the couple shared was at the station. This article and that fact would imply the police found the blood.:fireworks::fireworks::fireworks::fireworks::fireworks::fireworks:

:seeya::seeya:

The one car the couple shared was at the station. This article and that fact would imply the police found the blood.:fireworks::fireworks::fireworks::fireworks::fireworks::fireworks:

Ok, now I missed that. I did not know they shared a car as well as a phone.

The one car the couple shared was at the station. This article and that fact would imply the police found the blood.

It doesn't imply anything. When Dakota learned that Jessica was missing, someone probably drove him to the Exxon station so that he could find out what might have happened to her. :moo:

I unapproved the discussion about Jessica's fiancé finding blood if you can provide a link to show this we can reapprove it but we will need a link.

Just a reminder...

We do not have any suspects or persons of interest so until someone is named as such discussing anyone in a suspect manner is not allowed.

Thanks!

Ima

Norton Shores and Romulus are nearly 200 miles apart but I wonder if LE is investigating any possible connection to the Brenna Machus murder? Similar circumstances, though a connection seems doubtful.

I unapproved the discussion about Jessica's fiancé finding blood if you can provide a link to show this we can reapprove it but we will need a link.

Just a reminder...

We do not have any suspects or persons of interest so until someone is named as such discussing anyone in a suspect manner is not allowed.

Thanks!

Ima

I have looked and can't find a link. I recall the comment from an interview with a reporter paraphrasing that Dakota had been at the scene when spots of motor oil, gasoline, or possibly blood were found on the gas station property. The reporter said that Jessica's fiancé "pointed out" certain spots to police who were on the scene. I thought it was unusual for a family member/fiancé to be present during an investigation, so maybe the reporter was confused about who was there.

I realize that not all media reports necessarily appear in transcript/or written article form, so if this discussion isn't appropriate, I will understand, and you may delete those posts that mention it. I have an excellent memory and know what I heard. Thanks for your consideration.

Long time WS member first time posting on Jessica's thread. I have developed an interest in this case and from all of the pages of discussion I can see many of you have as well. I wanted to post after reading everything and share my opinions.

First there are 2 big things that stand out that make me feel the perp was familiar to the station the lack of cameras and the lights being off in the back as stated by the witness. I will address my thoughts on the lights first as my comments on the cams are a lot longer.

I believe it was the fellow employee that saw the lights in back were off and normally they should be on. While it is possible that Jessica had turned off the lights to start closing to me it doesn't make sense as she had not yet taken out the trash. Posters have noted that there is some distance between the dumpster and the gas station so why would she want to turn out the lights prior to dumping the trash?

Has it been confirmed anywhere that LE in fact found the lights in back off when they arrived? I would assumed the switches have been dusted for prints and there are many ways to avoid leaving them but my gut says that Jessica did not turn them off and that in turn tells me the perp knows the lay of the store being a frequent customer or even a past/present employee. I would assume LE has verified the alibi of all present employees but have they gone back to research all past employees? I sure hope so!

Was the backdoor one that locked automatically when shut or did the employee need to engage the lock from inside? The perp could have parked around the side/back area and gone through the front as a friendly customer then he could have taken Jess out the back door turning the lights off as the passed the switch or if it doesn't auto lock Jess could have unlocked it in prep to take the trash out. That doesn't sound likely to me though as I think the cash drawer would have been secured prior to unlatching the back door.

It would be helpful to know if any of the customers prior to the abduction noticed the lights and if they were off for a good part of the evening or if they had been on for a time. Regardless I think that the perp had a good feel of the layout in the store prior to abducting Jessica.

The lack of cameras. I realize they may not have prevented this from happening but on the other hand they may have deterred it from happening at this location. I understand people hold up banks and drug stores that are known to have cameras but normally they make an effort to conceal their identity. Their intentions are also a lot different than what I feel the perp had in mind in abducting Jessica. He knew that the store was still open and that a customer could come at any moment and if that happened he would want to quickly blend in as another customer and wearing a mask would stand out. I believe that he was aware that there were no cameras again either by visiting the store often or y working there at some time prior. Jess seemed like a good employee so I doubt she would tell anyone if there were or weren't cameras.

I believe that the person that abducted Jess did so because they had seen her before and developed feelings toward her. She is a beautiful woman and most likely got second glances from many men. I think that the perp saw her and perhaps began imagining what his life would be like to date Jessica. He likely pictured several times what their life together would be like and looked forward to seeing her when he went to the gas station. He also very likely knew which car she drove if he was a regular and perhaps when the van was seen earlier in the night he was checking things out and seeing if her car was there.

From what we have seen Jess appeared to be in a happy relationship and calling her fiancee to let him know she would be coming home quickly after work shows it was a happy place that she wanted to be so if the perp did make any sort of advances toward her I feel she would have politely turned him down. She probably had many customers that would flirt innocently and she may have joked around in return with their comments but I don't. Not wanting to be rude to a customer she likely would have been polite in saying something like I am in a relationship and even that could set off someone that has been obsessing over her. That being said girls like to gossip and talk. Had certain customers tried hitting on her most women would mention it with their female co workers and it often turns into a running joke. It would be really helpful to know the kinds of convos Jess had with fellow employees and if she ever talked about certain customers flirting with her.

I know that some locals have gone to the scene and driven the route the van did but I was wondering have any of you gone down at the same time of night and sat in the same area the witness described, I think it was a guitar store? If so how well could the side/back area be seen from that location? It was said the lights were off so I would assume the immediate area was dark. If you stand in that area and a friend drives by you at night can you see their face clearly? I know I have a hard time seeing inside a moving car at night and if I could give a description of someone in a moving vehicle that I would have been making an effort to do so for a reason.

In regard to the blood that was found to be Jessica's do we know if it was found during the initial search of the crime scene or was it found later? If her blood was found there and nowhere else inside that tells me that the struggle happened in that location. If something had happened elsewhere it would be probable that there would be blood droplets in other locations as well. What types of things did they do as far as search and collection of possible hair or fibers that could be tested? Did they ever bring in a dog to try and track her scent?

Lots of good thoughts. Thanks for posting them all to read. But I did want to let you know that they did bring dogs in to track her scent but she was put into the van and so the dogs were then unable to track her sent.

and so security cameras do not prevent this type of crime. i hope they help prosecute it tho.

Jessica's b'day is one day before (and many years after) mine.

Thank you! I searched and couldn't find where it said that dogs were ever brought in. I would be interested to know exactly where the dogs lost the sent, I would guess right there by the backdoor somewhere as from what I have read signs point to that area as the point of some sort of struggle evidenced by the blood.

I have just done additional reading though most of what is out there is the same as the articles before it. I think on the cell phone being found at the Exxon I am not 100% on if that was in fact there or an error in reporting. It would make sense for her to have it if they had a landline but if not then it would make more sense to me that it was at home in case of emergency for the baby as Jess had access to the station phone. Other articles I have read only list her coat, keys, car, jacket, purse and money I believe so the cell to me may or may not have been there and I suppose it doesn't play into my theories at all anyhow. I would assume all cell records have already been scoured.

I just read this article again more slowly

http://www.wzzm13.com/news/article/...months-private-investigator-reveals-new-clues

the 2 parts that I focus on each time I read it are :

One example; The back of the Exxon station was totally dark. Two large security lights on the back wall normally on, were off. The back door which was normally closed, was open. This is where police say Jessica was taken and where a small amount of Jessica's blood was found.

So the back door was open? for how long all night or around the time of abduction only? Same with the lights. I could see perhaps someone forgetting to turn lights on but not leaving the door open. They may have even been automatic. Was this witnessed by several area employees or was this how the customer that called 911 found it? I thought I had read somewhere that the co worker had noticed the lights off though so this could be 2 witness accounts put together.

I could see Jess going out front to help a customer with a pump or any other issue but unless the person was well known I wouldn't imagine her going out the back especially with the cash drawer out. I would perhaps think she was taking the trash out the back but it has been reported that hadn't been done and nothing has surfaced stating that the trash was left there near the exit suggesting that is what she was doing.

I have seen it mentioned that perhaps she was expecting someone and didn't want to be seen thus the lights being off but the fact that she seemed to be getting her closing done and in a rush to get home earlier than normal makes me feel that was not likely as meeting up with someone would likely put her arrival home later than she told her fiancée. Had she been meeting someone I could picture her saying she would be home at the average time and had a lot of chores left to do still to explain perhaps the time it would take her to meet up with someone.

This really makes me think that this person was no stranger staking out random girls and that he knew that gas station well. Nothing has been reported that she often did not have the lights on so her "forgetting" on that particular night of all nights just doesn't feel correct to me.

the other piece that captures my attention is this:

Norton Shores Police Chief Dan Shaw says he is confident everything was done to protect the scene. "Once the officers arrived on scene there was no traffic around the crime scene area. Our officers did secure the area and collected the evidence and cleared the scene," Shaw told WZZM 13.

I believe the store was open for business as usual the following morning. Does anyone know how long LE was on the scene collecting evidence? Wouldn't they want to preserve the scene until morning when it was daylight just to have better visibility and make sure nothing at all was missed? This may have happened and I could be way off here but I know I read the Exxon was open that next morning somewhere. If there was some sort of struggle the perp could have left the smallest trace of evidence so I really hope that was gone over with a fine tooth comb.

Finally I know it has been listed a handful of people that have been cleared such as the store owner fiancée and an ex bf of Jessica's. The fellow employee and her husband, were they officially cleared or no? I realize that they have not been listed as suspects so I won't discuss them in such a manner but if they have been cleared I have missed ot and would like to know.

I am becoming extremely bothered by this case and worry that with each passing day it grows colder and colder. I just have to pray that LE does have a good direction to pursue but with only a few details released I worry they are also totally stumped.

I do not think there is a link...but fear the outcome may be the same.

The back of the Exxon station was totally dark. Two large security lights on the back wall normally on, were off. The back door which was normally closed, was open. This is where police say Jessica was taken and where a small amount of Jessica's blood was found.[/I]

So the back door was open? for how long all night or around the time of abduction only? Same with the lights. I could see perhaps someone forgetting to turn lights on but not leaving the door open. They may have even been automatic. Was this witnessed by several area employees or was this how the customer that called 911 found it? I thought I had read somewhere that the co worker had noticed the lights off though so this could be 2 witness accounts put together.

The back door being open to me is the most telling. Well, maybe not the most telling but it sure does tell us something.
I am not 100% sure on how this gas station worked. But, with almost all gas stations, restaurants, bars, anything like that all the doors in back are heavy and lock once you let it shut. I don't see why this one would be any different. But then again they didn't have cameras so maybe they just really didn't care at all about security.
If it's the case this door did shut once it was closed. Then I just can't help but to think she had to of known the perp. If some random guy came in to abduct her and went threw the front door and took her out the back and was struggling with her. Then where did he find time to prop the door open? And why would he even care if the door was propped open?
This leads me to believe that Jessica had propped the door open for some reason.
Even if this was someone who had propped the door open ahead of time the door still would of been shut due to a struggle to get Jessica out.
This makes me fully believe that she was either lured out back by someone she new and felt okay around. Or she went out to smoke a cigarette and was blind sided by the perp. I know her cigarettes were found inside but after thinking about it....to be honest I can't count the times at work when I would go out to smoke I almost never bring the whole pack. I bring the one cigarette to smoke quick and get back in to finish the job. So to me it's on or the other.
If it's the case where she was smoking I could picture it being a weird costumer that she new but wasn't "friends" with. If she was lured out back then it makes me wonder more about the employee that said she seen the back lights off. I think I remember reading somewhere on here that the same employee who said she seen the lights off was also the same employee that Jessica was working for that night. So, that does kind of raise a red flag in my book.
This case out of so many others bothers me the most. I'm not sure what it is about this case that bothers me. Maybe it's the fact I am sad for her little boy who just doesn't understand why his momma is lost. Or if it's because I can't count the times I have been in her shoes, young, working alone in a gas station. Or maybe it's because this case sounds so solvable to me yet it's not solved and each day that passes points to it not being solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Megankd