GUILTY MA - Amy Lord, 24, abducted & murdered, Boston, 23 July 2013

SurfieTX

Reaction score
HYDE PARK, Mass. (WHDH) -- Sources told 7News 24-year-old Amy Lord of South Boston woman, whose body was found in Hyde Park Tuesday afternoon, was kidnapped at knifepoint and forced to withdraw money from an ATM before she was killed.

Investigators have been on the scene nonstop since Tuesday afternoon after a man riding a bicycle came across the victim’s body in a thickly-wooded area of the Stony Brook Reservation.

7News is awaiting confirmation that a car fire in South Boston is related to this case.

Read more: http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/...s-boston-woman-kidnapped-killed#ixzz2Zz5qXA00

Another link: http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/07/...in-hyde-park-appears-to-be-victim-of-assault/

Thanks for the links.
I'm surprised there isn't more information and more interest in this case.

Once more, this is so scarey and so very sad..........

I offer my heartfelt sympathies to Amy's family

From your Boston CBS link Surfie (thanks for posting):

"The attack was just one of three in the same South Boston neighborhood within a 24-hour period. Boston police say another woman was stabbed and a third punched in the hours leading up to Lord’s kidnapping and murder. Both managed to escape. A man was in custody and facing charges for one of those attacks. Boston police were looking into the incidents, but said they were not willing to say whether there was a connection."

my niece lives down the street from the Lord family and is friendly with one of the younger sisters, such a tragedy. by all accounts Amy was a true standout type of person, a kind girl that excelled at so many things.

i hope this "edwin alemany" that they have in custody is the sole perpetrator, but the local news this morning leaves me unsure, there was one report yesterday that implied two suspects.

hopefully since they went to 5 banks there are plenty of images to help them figure these things out.

they held a vigil in town last night and it was the worst i have ever felt, just overwhelming despair and anger. i have felt sick to my stomach and actually sore in my entire body since and for just the second time in my life my mind wandered earlier and i thought it wouldnt be the worst idea to attend a hearing for this man and try to get my hands around his neck.

the only other time i felt like that was when the story came out regarding what happened to brooke bennett. dont worry, it was a fleeting thing and i have no intention of doing anything of the sort.

RIP

oh, to be clear - this edwin alemany person has been charged in a separate attack, and is suspected in a third attack, but has not been officially charged in this case yet. (all 3 attacks were on women and in that general area)

hopefully it is just a matter of being thorough and that will happen soon.

the new information is that she was initially assaulted inside her apartment;

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...d-continues/Vsz7pgDh3SM1v3FPbYGhYP/story.html

i had wondered why the security image of her they had been showing had her face partially blocked out, thinking now it was probably to hide injuries. :(

every time i see that security image of her getting out of the car i keep thinking "RUN please RUN!" , but i had to answer that question from my niece this morning and it isnt hard to come up with a scenario where she would could be fooled into thinking it is in her best interest not to try to run.

still no arrest, the suspect in the other attacks is to be arraigned for those charges sometime today.

also new information is that the police have said there is just one suspect involved in this crime, which bolsters my hopes that they know they have their man and are just locking down the details.

looks like the suspect they have in custody is no stranger to stealing cars, or the BPD:

http://www.wickedlocal.com/roslinda...hieves-after-high-speed-pursuit-in-Roslindale

Cops nab trio of car thieves after high-speed pursuit in Roslindale

Roslindale —While on patrol on April 13, officers observed a grey Honda Civic speed away at an intersection and conducted a traffic stop.

Yarelis Diane Vargas, homeless of Boston, Joseph Benedict, 34 Sturtevat Ave., Dorchester, and Edwin J. Alemany, homeless, were arrested and charged with possession of burglarious tools, trespassing and failure to stop for police officer. The driver of the vehicle, Alemany, was also charged with malicious destruction of property, operating a motor vehicle without a license, operating to endanger and leaving the scene of a motor vehicle accident with property damage.

the new information is that she was initially assaulted inside her apartment;

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...d-continues/Vsz7pgDh3SM1v3FPbYGhYP/story.html

i had wondered why the security image of her they had been showing had her face partially blocked out, thinking now it was probably to hide injuries. :(

every time i see that security image of her getting out of the car i keep thinking "RUN please RUN!" , but i had to answer that question from my niece this morning and it isnt hard to come up with a scenario where she would could be fooled into thinking it is in her best interest not to try to run.
still no arrest, the suspect in the other attacks is to be arraigned for those charges sometime today.

Oh I'm so sorry. She sounds like such a lovely girl. I'm also surprised this isn't getting more coverage.

that robbery story is from april 2010... won't let me edit my post for some reason

truly this is one of the saddest stories i have read about in a while, especially on the heels of the brenna machus abduction/murder... how is it that in 2013 young women cannot even go about their daily business in daylight hours and be safe?

alemany has had a psych eval ordered after his lawyer claims he does not appear competent. im not feeling very sympathetic this morning...

competent enough to know how to get the most out of his crime by going to several ATM's...

competent enough to know he was committing crimes as evidenced by his multiple attempts to hide his actions...

my guess is that he grabber her on her way out of her building heading to the gym. i am surprised that he took her back inside to beat her, seems riskier than just gettingh er in the car and going. did he luck out that she happened to be leaving when he walked by or did he learn her routine?

i am also surprised she lives alone (guessing thats the case since she was assaulted in her apartment and no one else was reported attacked there). i live in the same city, am nearly 30 and have a professional job and if i wasnt married, i'd certainly still have roommates. i couldnt afford to live alone in any place i would have felt safe doing so. wondering where in Southie her place was. There are some areas that are safer than others...

i am also surprised she lives alone (guessing thats the case since she was assaulted in her apartment and no one else was reported attacked there).

She didn't live alone -- according to this article:

She had just left the apartment she shared with several other women on Dorchester Street and was just a few feet from her front door when she was kidnapped.

Obviously this account conflicts with accounts suggesting she was assaulted inside her apartment. Not sure which is more recent, though.

thanks lindsaym! thats the first mention ive read of roommates. makes much more sense based on her age and location that she had roommies, but you're right, its a conflict. and i am not sure how several other women would sleep through a roommate being attacked... it seems unlikely that with 2 or more roommates, they would all be out of the house by 6 am...

thankfully edwin alemany will be charged as the sole perpetrator of this crime, unfortunately they knew last year that this man was a danger but were not able to apprehend him.

http://www.wcvb.com/news/local/metr...nd/-/11971628/21181178/-/1477bhm/-/index.html

"Alemany's identification was found more than a year ago in the hand of another assault victim.

A woman who was attacked on Parker Hill Avenue in September 2012 grabbed at her attacker as she was falling to the ground, according to the police report obtained by the Boston Herald.

When the woman regained consciousness, she had a wallet with an identification card inside with the name Edwin Alemany.

Alemany was never arrested in connection with the 2012 assault."

This is just horrific. She is a friend of a friend's son. He is devastated of course, as is everyone that knows her. She is by all accounts such a great person, motivated, kind...and mental illness comes walking by and takes her away....

I thought at first he knew that she went to workout, and what time each morning. But the more I read it just seems like he was stalking around looking for victims. I believe he dragged her back into the foyer/vestibule so if you were upstairs or in your apt you might not hear it.

I just can't imagine why she didn't run.....there were people around and places she could have run to...she must have been so afraid of the damage he did to her and what he probably said he was going to do if she didn't comply....

"Authorities ‘confident and comfortable’ with progress of Amy Lord murder probe; Alemany confirmed as ‘person of interest"

http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/201...se-that-has/h0khurN7zyKpSJGgEYdNOI/story.html

"A woman who was attacked by a man in Boston in September grabbed something before she slipped into unconsciousness — a wallet that included an identification card with the name of Edwin Alemany in it, but Alemany was never charged, Boston police said Friday."

"Alemany, 28, is a person of interest in this week’s slaying of Amy E. Lord, 24, of South Boston, Police Commissioner Edward F. Davis said. On Tuesday morning, Lord was beaten, kidnapped, and forced to withdraw money from five Boston banks before she was murdered and her body was left at Stony Brook Reservation in Hyde Park."

"The failure to charge Alemany after the Sept. 28 attack, which happened as the woman walked along Parker Hill Avenue at around 2:28 a.m., appeared to raise troubling questions."

"Davis said at a news conference late Friday afternoon that an internal affairs probe would be launched into a detective’s handling of the September case. He described Alemany as a “violent guy” who needed to be kept off the street."

“I’m very disappointed in what the detective did in this case,” Davis said. “I would hope that a more thorough and aggressive stance ... is something that we would pursue in a case like this.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back