Post Verdict -Working Out The Unresolved Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always thought that Brewers reaction when Nurmi asked him if Jodi had a step mother role with Jack was strange. (22:16) He very forcefully denies that. It made me feel like something was wrong there from the first time I heard it.

Also, in watching the side bar when this video starts, Jodi is about to jump out of her skin and even says to herself what looks to me like "It's OK" trying to calm down.

I'll always believe something hinkey happened...but she may have been worried about the DVR coming out because that would have brought the premed to the forefront without a doubt. JMO

I've always thought that Brewers reaction when Nurmi asked him if Jodi had a step mother role with Jack was strange. (22:16) He very forcefully denies that. It made me feel like something was wrong there from the first time I heard it.

Also, in watching the side bar when this video starts, Jodi is about to jump out of her skin and even says to herself what looks to me like "It's OK" trying to calm down.

I'll always believe something hinkey happened...but she may have been worried about the DVR coming out because that would have brought the premed to the forefront without a doubt. JMO
You are so right. Jodi looks as if she is about to lose it as she anticipates what DB might reveal during his time on the stand. She does indeed seem to whisper to herself, "It's Okay." I sure wish we knew what DB is holding back. I'm sure he's taking a lot of guilt upon himself knowing that he had this monster in the same house with his son! It must freak him--and his ex-wife out!!!

But, JA must have something over on him that frightened him enough to NOT reveal too much during his testimony.

Assorted notes from DB's testimony:

JA must have only put a small amount of gas from the can into her tank 15 miles outside of Winniemucca, as she put 12.175 gallons in at the gas station there and her tank held a maximum of 13 1/2 gal. (Note - need to check distance from SLC to Winniemucca to see if she should have run out of gas on a straight drive there or could there have been a detour).

Her involvement with PPL began in March or April of '06.

Missionary boys began coming to house for bible study maybe as early as June '06, when Nurmi did redirect he asked to clear that up, DB couldn't be sure whether June or 'in the Fall'.

When JM asked about any nude pictures JA may have taken of him, DB volunteers there was a shower incident (kudos to JW for not letting her chin hit the desk when those words pop out of his mouth).

JA called DB after June 4th (no date from the cell record, JM??), DB confirms she told him her friend was killed, and that she had run out of gas in the desert, the other things JM asks if she'd said he either says no or doesn't recall that (did she say she had no alibi and he'd been stabbed and shot?).

She arrived at DB's approx. 7:00 a.m. on June 3rd.

MM did not come to DB's house that morning (according to DB).

DB and JA bought the house in Palm Desert when he was unemployed (found work 2 1/2 months later), JA began working at Calif. Pizza Kitchen and soon got another job (couldn't hear where - Cristo?)
---

I don't know what it is about DB but something seems so 'off', I just can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's just the tone and cadence of his voice, I don't know, something just not right.

I wonder why we didn't get any witnesses from any of the places she purchased gas? I know they can't compel people to come from out of state but the WM girl did from Salinas, CA. and the Tesoro lady from NV.

And JA said she bought gas in Buckeye, AZ, where was that person or at least security footage? We could have maybe gotten testimony/video on what she was wearing, the state of her hands, goodness, where is the Buckeye employee?!

Here's a link to Darryl Brewer's interview during the mitigation phase:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgaGB89C0yo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgaGB89C0yo[/ame]

He contradicts his testimony when he says in the interview that he did not know CMJA was going to Mesa when she visited him on June 3. Under cross examination, JM asked him several times about CMJA contacting him in May 2008 to borrow gas cans to go to Mesa. IIRC, when first questioned, he denied knowledge of plans to go to Mesa and then JM refreshed his memory with statements that DB had given to investigators.

Also in this interview, he is unequivocal in stating that CMJA began changing in the spring of 2006. He is also very clear that she was involved with the Mormons in the spring of 2006. I had previously posted that he said she began to change 2 years before the murder; he refers to the spring of 2006, not the two years before that I stated.

He contradicts CMJA's father when he said that she was not a person who lied when he knew her. If this is his truth, then he is a truly gullible man who is a poor judge of character.

DB claims that CMJA had a wide circle of friends in Palm Desert who were willing to testify on her behalf, yet were not sought out to do so. I do find it amazing how few people from her past have actually stepped forward to make any comments about her or this case. Both DB and Patti Womack are appalled at the murder and neither of them have proclaimed her innocence. I cannot find any statements made by Leslie Udy other than her testimony.

According to Minor4th's post:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9010696&postcount=71"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Arias Trial; Compare the receipts and the monetary transactions[/ame]

Pasadena, CA to Mesa, AZ is 386 mi. and uses approx. 11.7 gal. of gas

SLC to Winnemucca, NV is 367 miles and uses approx. 11.1 gal. of gas

So why would she need to use any gas from the cans 15 miles outside of Winnemucca when the trip was somewhat shorter than Pasadena to Mesa?

snipped from geevee's post above: "DB and JA bought the house in Palm Desert when he was unemployed (found work 2 1/2 months later), JA began working at Calif. Pizza Kitchen and soon got another job"

sorry for being off topic but wow....it blows my mind that someone unemployed and someone working as a waitress at CPK can (could) buy a house in Palm Springs

snipped from geevee's post above: "DB and JA bought the house in Palm Desert when he was unemployed (found work 2 1/2 months later), JA began working at Calif. Pizza Kitchen and soon got another job"

sorry for being off topic but wow....it blows my mind that someone unemployed and someone working as a waitress at CPK can (could) buy a house in Palm Springs

I was surprised too.

I'm beginning to think she may have hid the weapons around the Great Salt Lake. With all that gas in the trunk, no one around her car would smell tucked-away clothing splashed with blood (if she didn't think to rinse them in the shower first) while she was in Utah.

It seems she couldn't have done it on her way to Buckeye (not enough gas to get wherever, burn the clothes and then resume her route home), plus it was night time, I've never been in the desert at night but I would imagine it would be awfully dark.

I'm thinking since she stopped in Sparks and got 5 gallons, and the trip from Winnemucca to Sparks should consume close to 5 gallons, she didn't leave her route home on that leg either.

I thought this, too when DB testified! Where was there lender when I was shopping mortgages?!? And if what JA said to Det. Flores was true, it was a large house, with many rooms, a pool, in a nice area - I wonder what bank said "they sound like a good risk'? Maybe they (DB, I guess) had a big down payment?
I guess it didn't matter in the end, because they ended up in foreclosure - but I wondered about that, too.

I agree with all the other posters here, that have said something just seemed 'off' - with DB's testimony, non-testimony in the mitigation, and pseudo-testimony in the form of that interview. Even if he was madly in love with her, how could he not be even a little bit bitter that she decided they were 'roommates' after they had bought a home together as a romantic couple, dated while she lived there, and dumped him and the house?

And wasn't DB one of the many 'friends' JA threw under the bus, saying they had unregistered guns (along with MM, and her father)?

I always wondered if DB and Jodi were doing some illegal activity to enable them to purchase the house.

I also wonder if Jodi did hard drugs such as cocaine? Maybe this is what Travis was so angry about and this is what he was going to expose Jodi with?

The angry texts threatened exposure of something she did to everyone close to her... hmmm.

Probably unresolvable: Arias told the public post-verdict that she would prefer to be sentenced to death rather than live the rest of her long life "in one place". (And it ain't Shangri-La.) Rather swiftly, she was transformed by visits from relatives who urged her to go on living; she would now go on living "for them". So my question is, "How much does it take to satisfy 'them'?" If this fight for life, this battle she has engaged with the prosecution, is waged on behalf of relatives' pleas, when is it time to say I've done what I could? To me, it smacks of powerful, driven self-preservation instead. Like what she felt the time she accidently nicked herself & changed her mind about slitting her wrists. I think she will stop at nothing to avoid the death penalty, even if she has to run through 12 attorney's and 45 appeals, and even if her relatives, pacified, say don't knock yourself out. No, it is exacting death upon someone else where she means business & demonstrates follow through.

Probably unresolvable: Arias told the public post-verdict that she would prefer to be sentenced to death rather than live the rest of her long life "in one place". (And it ain't Shangri-La.) Rather swiftly, she was transformed by visits from relatives who urged her to go on living; she would now go on living "for them". So my question is, "How much does it take to satisfy 'them'?" If this fight for life, this battle she has engaged with the prosecution, is waged on behalf of relatives' pleas, when is it time to say I've done what I could? To me, it smacks of powerful, driven self-preservation instead. Like what she felt the time she accidently nicked herself & changed her mind about slitting her wrists. I think she will stop at nothing to avoid the death penalty, even if she has to run through 12 attorney's and 45 appeals, and even if her relatives, pacified, say don't knock yourself out. No, it is exacting death upon someone else where she means business & demonstrates follow through.

Tuba, I had to read your post several times because this is not your typical post. It almost sounds as if you are giving CMJA an inch in terms of believing her? I can't tell, even after reading it several times.

One thing is for certain, so far CMJA has not been able to tell the truth even though her life depended on it.

I am skeptical that her family "convinced" her to make a plea for mercy. IIRC, she said that this was with a conversation with her cousin. Just thinking about the circumstances between her conviction of guilty on May 8 and her allocution, it does not make sense that such a conversation would or could have taken place. She was in psychiatric custody for almost five days, then she was transferred back to Estrella and placed in closed custody status. The jury delivered their decision that aggravation had been proven on May 15.

CMJA gives the appearance of believing that she would walk away from this one without repercussion. I say appearance, because who knows what thoughts run through that woman's head? IMO, she did not even contemplate having to prepare for the mitigation phase until the aggravation phase was complete. You know, think positive thoughts like that whack a doodle stuff ALV said was in her journal.

To say that there were numerous disruptions to the court schedule during both the penalty and aggravation phases is an understatement.

Does it make sense that CMJA just happened to make an outgoing call to just the right cousin who presented a compelling case to her to plead for mercy? Nope, not to me, especially when she was in closed custody and thus had extremely limited access to the phone. I think that it was Nurmi who gave her the "call to Jesus" talk when he visited her in jail on Friday, May 17th after Travis's family had presented their victim impact statements.

I do agree that CMJA will stop at nothing to avoid the death penalty and so I don't expect her to make any kind of plea that would limit appeals. It is my hope that JSS has managed this trial in such a way as to squash any appellate issues.

Tuba, do you think that she tried to commit suicide in jail and "nicked' herself?

So like her. She did say she felt Travis was in a better place which is ironic considering how she testified what a "bad" person he was to her at times.

gcharlie, I'm just throwing the contradictions up on our board. Two things (or more) that cannot both be true. In no way does this mean that I believe either one of them, but nobody can believe both. Since they all issue from C.M., why would any of it be credited in any way.

gcharlie, I'm just throwing the contradictions up on our board. Two things (or more) that cannot both be true. In no way does this mean that I believe either one of them, but nobody can believe both. Since they all issue from C.M., why would any of it be credited in any way.

Phew. Makes sense to me now that you explain it this way. You definitely had me confused because, yes, you were throwing contradictions out there and it almost seemed as if you were buying some of the murderess's nonsense. Noooo! :scared:

Glad you cleared things up for me.:seeya:

I was looking around, seeing if I could find any journal entries closer to the time of her trip, and came across one dated May 22, 08 transcribed on Kristen Randle's blog:

http://kristinarandle.com/blog/jodi-arias-journal-entries-2/

She told Flores (and I think testified to it as well) that before Travis was murdered, she did not know he liked Mimi, so why is she saying on 6-22 that she talked to T about his 'potentially underlying love' for her? Lies, lies, and more lies, I don't know if we can trust anything she wrote as well as said.

A question just occurred - why haven't we seen any of Travis' journals? What was he saying around the time he sent her that long angry text and she was stealing the gun and making her death-trip plans? His writings will be much, much more reliable than hers.

A question just occurred - why haven't we seen any of Travis' journals? What was he saying around the time he sent her that long angry text and she was stealing the gun and making her death-trip plans? His writings will be much, much more reliable than hers.

Most of his journals disappeared after she killed him and I believe Chris and Sky had the rest.

The only problems she cites are Travis teasing, yelling, snapping. As long as she is criticizing him, why not celebrate her relief that there will be no more bruises on her neck or clenched ribs, black-outs? We could resolve this by ignoring her testimony & that of ALaV. The extent of her real complaints is negligible.

Wonder why one of her journals was seized while she was on trial? She made a motion to compel on April 10: NOTE: DEFENDANT’S MOTION TO COMPEL; JOURNALS SEIZED FROM MS. ARIAS’ JAIL CELL ON OR ABOUT APRIL 1, 2013

I never did see a ruling on this motion. Does anyone know if a ruling was made?

I also did not see the motion to compel. My first thought when this happened what that the whole thing was strange. It would seem that Sheriff Joe ordered her journals seized, so why is she asking JSS to compel their release? JSS has no jurisdiction over Sheriff Joes, as far as I can tell. I don't think that there is a legal way for JM to use anything written in that journal in court, but I could be wrong.

We really don't know who seized the journal or why. But we do know that CMJA had a hissy fit and wanted it back.

Very shortly, the Nurmi reply to Prosecution's Motion to Vacate Aggravator Response should be released, along with that Martinez Response. Although Judge Stephens had not yet read the Martinez Response, Nurmi was ordered to reply to it by August 5, in writing. That order went down from the bench on July 16. We also know that the judge met with counsel from both sides. What was discussed remains a mystery & alone, we can't resolve it. She met as well ex parte with Nurmi and the defendant & probably Willmott. In that meeting, issues were aired that may take longer than late September for resolution according to Judge Stephens. Could one issue be the dearth of mitigation witnesses & concern over funding witness appearances going forward? Could another be the efforts to resolve penalty with Prosecution? Those should remain confidential to the parties or in a give and take with the prosecutor present before the judge (but somehow I seem to hear complaining from C.M.)

In any case, Nurmi agreed to deliver his reply by tomorrow. Sometimes he files on the weekend, as we've noticed. It is a jurisdictional objection to the cruelty jury instruction. He sought to show that our judge had stepped outside her juris function into legislating and it struck me as a tempest in a tea cup. As Sup.Ct. Justice Potter Stewart once wrote about obscenity, "I know it when I see it." The same can be said for the especially cruel murder of Trey Zwicker or Travis Alexander. And we have accepted common knowledge of what is cruelty since Amendment VIII against cruel & unusual punishment ratified in 1791. (The founding fathers had no need to spell it out in A B C blocks and neither had the Arizona Legislature.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave