Identified! OK - Oklahoma City, 'Sharon Marshall' 8UFOK, Apr'90 - Suzanne Sevakis

Could we get Sharons DNA entered into the same databases as BK's are in to trace family tree? Or is that a no because of the Y-chromosome. I am fast learning about all the DNA stuff...

I recall reading, somewhere along the way over my years of looking into Sharon's case, that some type of testing was done to determine whether the two (Floyd and Sharon) were related. It may have been blood typing, I don't recall. And, of course, this may be entirely anecdotal---as so much of the info surrounding Sharon appears to be.

This is what I consider the information on the early DNA testing results of Christina Carter to be. If one were to look around the internet long and hard enough, I'm sure Sharon was on the grassy knoll the day JFK was assassinated.

I got the info on the testing from The Oklahoman. (Went back to my old notes).

mtDNA testing involving a male is only valid if the male is in the last position of the ancestral line being tested. All other links in the chain must be female. For example, a male could be tested against the mtDNA of his mother, maternal grandmother, and her mother, (as well as the sisters and daughters of those women) but his daughter could not be tested along the same line because the chain of inheritance stops at the male.

What if they were cousins though? I guess that is the point I am making...or sister brother, neice uncle etc...

What if they were cousins though? I guess that is the point I am making...or sister brother, neice uncle etc...

Since Floyd was abandoned at childhood by his mother and sent to an orphanage, he had very little contact with his blood relatives, although in the book, it was his sister who relayed to authorities his admission to her that after he kidnapped Michael Hughes (Sharon's son), he drowned Michael in the bathtub because Michael wouldn't stop crying and refused to tell Floyd that he loved him.

But to answer your question - if they were brother/sister, yes that could be determined through mtDNA.

Likewise if they were cousins or neice/uncle, as long as they are connected by a continuous chain of female relatives up one branch of the family tree and down another.

Floyd was in prison at the time that Sharon would have been conceived, so they do know that he is not her father.

I don't know that they have been compared by DNA.

As I understand it, a female's paternal line cannot be determined through DNA testing because paternity test is performed via the Y-chromosome (which is only present in males). The only way a female's father can be determined is if she has a known brother who can be tested.

From what I remember from college biology, Mitochondrial DNA is passed from a mother to her children, therefore that can be used to determine is someone is related via a maternal link (like mother child, maternal aunt to neices/nephews, Maternal grandmother to grandchildren, etc). To determine a father's relation, they have to actually test for commonalities in DNA (kids get half from mom and half from dad.) You can use siblings DNA to determine paternity too, but its more difficult.

I know that they can now do some type of genological studies thru DNA, but I have no clue how they do that, or if it involves Y-chromosomal studies or what have you. there are several members here on Websleuths that are more familiar with that, i think that they are on the Benjamin Kyle thread frequently. Someone could head over there and ask, since they have done that type of testing on him for a clue to his origions.

Thanks for thinking about Sharon. She is on my mind a lot. I'm relatively certain that Janice Pockett is on the ruled-out list for Sharon, unfortunately. Keep looking, though - fresh eyes are always welcome!

:) thank you! are you sure she was ruled out

I don't know if Janice was officially ruled out, but "Sharon Marshall" was clearly much younger than 7 when she fell into the hands of Franklin Delano Floyd.

BTW, If you haven't yet, I suggest you read Matt Birkbeck's book A Beautiful Child. It is an excellent book about the "Sharon Marshall" story.

Can anyone explain to me why this is not in Namus? Maybe it is and I have overlooked it?

Matt Birkbeck, author of A Beautiful Child just posted the following update on his website:

http://www.mattbirkbeck.com/blog.html

TENNESSEE LINK

08/07/2013

It's been a year since I first mentioned a potential break in the search for Sharon's identity. Local and federal law enforcement have been involved, but to date there's been no significant movement or progress. So, here's what's been happening.

Police near Knoxville, TN received a call from a woman who said she knew Franklin Floyd when she was a child in the early 1970s, and that Floyd and his brother Billy had visited her father, who was a serial rapist and pedophile. Floyd was on the run (you'll recall he violated his parole in early 1973) and sought refuge with this woman's father. Around the same time, the body of Janet Carter was found in the Smokey Mountains and her three-year old daughter Christina was missing. Janet was from Birmingham and was in the midst of a custody battle with her husband when she fled. The woman claims that her father killed Janet and took Christina, whom he repeatedly raped before killing her and burying her body underneath his home.

Around the same time, Floyd and his brother were staying nearby, and the woman said she would be taken there every weekend, where Floyd would rape her. The woman remembers another little girl, a cousin, who was also repeatedly raped by her father. The cousin, said the woman, is Sharon.

The woman said her father was going to kill Sharon, but Floyd apparently fled wth her.

The woman told her story to the local police, who called in the local FBI. Their interest was minimal. After six months, and with little progress, I connected the local police to Joe Fitzpatrick, and over the past few months the woman has been interviewed several times by an outside FBI bureau. There are other details that can't be released yet.

The woman says she never read A Beautiful Child, and her memories are real. I thought enough of her and her story to pass it along. The bit about Floyd "rescuing" the girl from the woman's father is similar to what Floyd told me when I interviewed him, that he saved the girl from certain death. The woman's father is still alive, and last I heard police were going to interview him. Will keep you posted.

My reaction is that it seems an awfully big coincidence that the same girl Christina Carter, who was thought to have been Sharon, and was subsequently ruled out, would later turn out to be connected to Franklin Floyd in a different way.

Matt Birkbeck, author of A Beautiful Child just posted the following update on his website:

My reaction is that it seems an awfully big coincidence that the same girl Christina Carter, who was thought to have been Sharon, and was subsequently ruled out, would later turn out to be connected to Franklin Floyd in a different way.

did you send this on over to christinas thread Carl? I am so freaked out by this and it totally makes sense!!!!! I'm going nuts I want more info!!!!:banghead:

It would be an awfully big coincidence, but if there was ever a case to involve such a coincidence, its this one. Sharon really is the ultimate enigma.

I am trying to digest this new info and turning it over in my mind a bit, so bear with me...

If Sharon was a "cousin" to this purported witness, and she suddenly went missing while in her uncle's care, wouldn't the parents/in-laws still have likely reported it to authorities?

Or here are a few other scenarios:

The Pedophile/Father to the witness would have to be lying about the familial relationship and the child was just another kidnap victim (who still would have likely been reported missing)

OR, the Pedophile would have had to silence/ kill the parents (but there is still the likelihood their family members would have reported all of them missing)

OR, one or both of the parents/in-laws would have been in league with the Pedophile and were not concerned with "Sharon" suddenly disappearing with one of his buddies.

those situations, while possible, still seem highly unlikely... However, if "Sharon" was a sister to the witness, that would make more sense, because if she suddenly disappeared with Floyd, the Father/Pedophile would have to weigh the risk of reporting Floyd as a kidnapper only to be outed as a murderer/pedophile in retaliation.

The mystery of "Sharon" is so confounding, but if there is even a grain of truth to anything Floyd said, the "drug addict/prostitute mom" still makes the most sense-- that a drug addicted, or mentally challenged, or mentally unstable mother fell for Floyd's con game and willingly gave the child to him, and then never looked back.

I am trying to digest this new info and turning it over in my mind a bit, so bear with me...

If Sharon was a "cousin" to this purported witness, and she suddenly went missing while in her uncle's care, wouldn't the parents/in-laws still have likely reported it to authorities? ...

This would mean that Sharon was the daughter of the pedophile's sibling.

Let's say that (as Floyd alleged), Sharon's mother (i.e., the pedophile's sister) was a prostitute, and possibly a drug addict. It's possible that if she died or got caught up into the prostitution/drug culture. Sharon's father may have been just a john, and may not have have even known (or cared) that he had a daughter. In such circumstances, Sharon's mother's brother may have been the only close relative available, and gained custody of Sharon because no other close relative was around.

I'm also thinking the DNA ramifications. If Sharon's mother was the pedophile's sister. (and if they were siblings by virtue of a common mother - i.e., not half-siblings with a common father), then Sharon and the pedophile should have the same mitochondrial DNA.

This would mean that Sharon was the daughter of the pedophile's sibling.

Let's say that (as Floyd alleged), Sharon's mother (i.e., the pedophile's sister) was a prostitute, and possibly a drug addict. It's possible that if she died or got caught up into the prostitution/drug culture. Sharon's father may have been just a john, and may not have have even known (or cared) that he had a daughter. In such circumstances, Sharon's mother's brother may have been the only close relative available, and gained custody of Sharon because no other close relative was around.

I'm also thinking the DNA ramifications. If Sharon's mother was the pedophile's sister. (and if they were siblings by virtue of a common mother - i.e., not half-siblings with a common father), then Sharon and the pedophile should have the same mitochondrial DNA.

YES!!!!! now the pedophile cannot be Dial because he is in prison and Matt said this man was NOT in prision at this time but still alive, and said he was a convicted rapist , maybe her name was really Sharon Matthews , then when he enrolled her in school he changed it then when she grew up he changed it back , who knows but can we find a list of convicted rapists around 74 or so ? off to google!

....and yes Carl that totally makes sense, Im sure with all the raping and child sex , they werent the model family as it is Im sure there was a ton of disfuntion going on ick! and it seems that disposing of Janet and hanging on to Christina for a bit, might not have been the first time, it might have been his sister in law as well maybe his brother was dead and he had no one to explain the Mother's dissappearance ? do we have any mother/ child or mother dissappearances around 73 or 74 in knoxville ???? looking now BRB......

... and I should add that the woman who called this in would not be a suitable relative for a mitochondrial dna comparison because her connection to Sharon would be by way of her father.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alicialynne
Back