Judge orders parents to change son's name because only Jesus earned name Messiah

I don't know what to think. People give their kids ridiculous names all the time. I don't know what is wrong with people. Why would anyone name their child Messiah? Why not cut to the chase and just call him God or Supreme Being or Most Wonderful Creation in the Universe? Aren't we special, we gave birth to God! Human beings are the most self-absorbed creatures on the planet. Stories like this really bring out the misanthrope in me.

There's a professional basketball player named God. God Shammgod - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I can't agree with the judge on this one, although i don't care for the name "Messiah". But on the other hand, I totally agree that parents cannot name their child a name like Adolph Hitler. Messiah seem a bit delusional but Hitler is downright abusive because it subjects the child to ridicule and revulsion.

Oh I taught school and roll call was always a trip. I had a boys named Pharoah, Demon, Mihceal (misspelled Michael) and girls with name like Quandrinique, Gercia (pronounced Jerika) and one little girl we all called Leelee because her name was like 14 letters long with TWO accent marks and all and the poor child would have to spend too much time writing out her given name.

Sometimes parents ridiculous, pretentious or just flat out made up names were a plague to the children who had to deal with them. I always allowed the child to be called by what they wanted to be called and they preferred short and sweet nicknames.

Now I live in the country and am amused by the nicknames that people end up with here. I know of people like Taterhead, TaterBug, Boonie, which is better than some of the names I have heard the firefighters bestow on each other such as Clyde the whacker (yeah guess what he was caught doing) and D****Bag Bob.

I took great care and picked a classic yet normal name for my son and yet to this day, 20 something years later, I still just call him by his baby nickname "Boogie".

My son earned the nickname Buddy right off the bat, not sure how. He's almost 15 now and we've gone through the whole "Don't call me Buddy in front of my friends!" phase, till he realized there is no changing a nickname once it sticks (especially with a mom). So, he's still Buddy, even at basketball games when I scream, "Box out, Buddy!" and the entire gym hears me. He's over it. :floorlaugh:

My best friend has a very unusual name (never have I seen or heard of it before and we've been besties for 25 years) and she has always loved it. Never wanted a "normal" name. However, I realize this isn't always the case. She's a very strong personality and she's always been confident, so it suits her. I had a very unusual maiden name and HATED it. All through school I would have given anything to be HO Smith.

That's funny!! My stepmom used to say that it will be really strange when nursing homes are full of Tiffanys and Kaitlyns and Hunters instead of Marys and Mabels and Johns. Not to mention all of the crazy spellings parents are making up these days.

Can you imagine a 93-yo Mah-Kcenzyie or Sparrow or something of the sort? :floorlaugh:

:floorlaugh::floorlaugh:And some of them can compare their breast implants and tattoos!

IMO, it's a dumb name 'cause the nickname would be "Messy" of course!

:floorlaugh:

You know... using the judge's logic, noone should be allowed to be named Abraham, Abe, Avrom, Isaac, Jacob, Sarah, Rebecca, Leah, Mohammed, either.

:floorlaugh: I agree, the latest crazy name in my opinion is North West. Celebrities are always trying to outdo each other in ridiculous names. This judge is mixing up Church and State IMO.

ETA. Where was this judge when Michael Jackson named his child "Blanket".....GMAB

[bbm]

sorta O/T but Blanket is his nickname ... his given name is Prince Michael the 2nd

It gets better with the Hitler "family":

The New Jersey dad who named one of his sons Adolf Hitler has another little Nazi on the way, the Daily News has learned.

Hate-filled Heath Campbell and his fiancée Bethanie Rose Zito told the Daily News on Tuesday that they can’t wait to find out the baby’s gender next week.

The recently engaged sickos already have names in mind in honor of the genocidal regime that murdered millions of innocents.

“If it’s a girl, it’s gonna be Eva Braun,” said Zito, 22, who is 19 weeks pregnant and has a “Property of Heath” tattoo on her left forearm.

“If it’s a boy, I don’t know what I’m gonna name him, but I’m thinking Rommel.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...lil-eva-braun-article-1.1376354#ixzz2boZzWnDL
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...lil-eva-braun-article-1.1376354#ixzz2WfuvXzMJ

And in related news:

Talk about high expectations for a newborn: King and Messiah are among the fastest-rising baby names for American boys.

They are just a little behind Major, the male name that jumped the most spots on the Social Security Administration’s annual list of popular baby names.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...ng-baby-names-article-1.1340125#ixzz2bocbgG5q

Jeez, I hope none of them are in Tennessee...:floorlaugh:

The judge would love part of my longtime deceased family name: Queen Victoria. Wouldn't Jesus be THE Messiah or Saviour to Christians and The coming messiah is what the Jewish religion is looking for.

bbm: Re: Queen Victoria -- I have a person by that name way back in ancestral records myself! I believe she died as a child or very young woman, if I'm recalling correctly.

Who knows -- maybe that name was not uncommon, way back?

Queen was a popular name years ago. Not "Her Majesty" Queen which would be a title, imo.

There is a guy (game developer) who's name is American. I believe there is an actress with the name America. People name their kids all sorts of stuff and yes some of them are pretty ridiculous (Paltrow naming her kid Apple) but you should have the freedom to do so. It's not like it's that hard to get it changed at some point down the road.

There is a guy (game developer) who's name is American. I believe there is an actress with the name America. People name their kids all sorts of stuff and yes some of them are pretty ridiculous (Paltrow naming her kid Apple) but you should have the freedom to do so. It's not like it's that hard to get it changed at some point down the road.

My nurse when my son was born was named America. She was awesome and everyone who had her remembered "Miss America" very fondly. Her family was from another country so I guess that they named her America in homage to America where they came and made a good life.

Do you mean the judge's ruling will/should be thrown out or the mom's appeal will be thrown out?
Judge ruling..sorry, my English is confusing, even to myself.
And isn't Jesus' name in Aramaic Yeshua?

One of my dad's friends years ago was named King. It sounded pretentious but it was his mother's maiden name.

My nurse when my son was born was named America. She was awesome and everyone who had her remembered "Miss America" very fondly. Her family was from another country so I guess that they named her America in homage to America where they came and made a good life.

Or to Central or South America. Or after Amerigo Vespucci. "America" is the feminized Latin version of Vespucci's first name.

One of my dad's friends years ago was named King. It sounded pretentious but it was his mother's maiden name.

Its my mom's maiden name too. :eek:

There is a football player whose first name is Mister. I like it.

When I was living in Ghana, at least in my village it was common to name your children after...traits, or types of people with the belief ths they my take on said personalities or character traits.

Most of the children were named variations on Prince, Princess, Gift, Mother, Godson, queen, King, etc

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back