Victim: Alexis Murphy, 17, missing from Shipman, VA, 03 August 2013 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe LE would arrest this guy without solid physical evidence this time. They could end up with a major harassment issue on their hands. So I believe they have it. Also because they arrested him quickly, without finding Alexis. When Sierra Lamar was abducted, the arrest took months, even though we found out they had a suspect most of the time. And that suspect is being charged with murder, without her body being found yet.

To be perfectly honest he looks content to me. He doesn't seem uncomfortable, but that may just be due to his familiarity with the judicial system. He's been in and out of court for the past twenty years, so most of this shouldn't come as a surprise to him. I'd be even more interested to see interrogation videos, as I assume they are questioning him aggressively.

Maybe he doesn't feel anything toward his victims or crimes. I see mental illness written all over him.

patiently angry at being thwarted, but defiant because he knows hes got the ace up his sleeve.... if there is any emotion at all...

MoxieThyme, I think TBH is "to be honest." My youngest uses it all the time.
thank you... I never felt old till I had teens.. LoL

I can't believe LE would arrest this guy without solid physical evidence this time. They could end up with a major harassment issue on their hands. So I believe they have it. Also because they arrested him quickly, without finding Alexis. When Sierra Lamar was abducted, the arrest took months, even though we found out they had a suspect most of the time. And that suspect is being charged with murder, without her body being found yet.

I believe the Liberty station photos will play a large part in this. They haven't released any surveillance of him there. Maybe they don't have enough to release those to the public at this moment.

Regardless of what it is, I agree. They have something; evidence found in her vehicle, surveillance at Liberty, etc.

There has been virtually no mention of searching for her cellphone since RAT's arrest. I wonder if they have something more vital to the case in that regard.

For the record, I never suggested that everyone in rural Virginia is a country bumpkin. But this guy probably fits into the category.

I think they should check the James River. If you check out one of the other threads, I have brought up the fact that RAT may have been a teenager in Washington State during the height of the Green River Killer's rampage. So maybe the river is the first place he'd think to go.

Finding her phone would be helpful, but they can get most info anyway. Of course if his prints and DNA are on it, that would be good if they could find it. But if they haven't by now, they likely won't, IMO, unless they find it with her (if she is found).

For the record, I never suggested that everyone in rural Virginia is a country bumpkin. But this guy probably fits into the category.

I think they should check the James River. If you check out one of the other threads, I have brought up the fact that RAT may have been a teenager in Washington State during the height of the Green River Killer's rampage. So maybe the river is the first place he'd think to go.

If you go to the possible victims page I started there I posted about 4 "suicide" by drowning cases that took place in the James River withing two months time. Only in the first of those cases did there seam to be any justification for calling it a suicide.
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219221"]http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219221[/ame]

Many of Gary Ridgeways early victims were put in the Green River submerged with rocks on them. He also left many in abandoned torn down lots near the airport and in groups in different foresty areas, changing his MO a little once too many bodies were being found in one area.

How long did RAT live in WA? Could he have victims here too? There's still a lot of cold cases that haven't been linked to other known killers in the area? IDK. He looks seriously creepy.

Many of Gary Ridgeways early victims were put in the Green River submerged with rocks on them. He also left many in abandoned torn down lots near the airport and in groups in different foresty areas, changing his MO a little once too many bodies were being found in one area.

How long did RAT live in WA? Could he have victims here too? There's still a lot of cold cases that haven't been linked to other known killers in the area? IDK. He looks seriously creepy.

I have a feeling he was in Virginia by the mid- to late-1980s. But it's possible that he was still in Washington as a young adult.

I watched NG tonight and missed what led the cops to pick up this guy, what evidence do they have that he was involved?

I'm never going to get over where they found her car. Why near where her relatives live? Why not closer to her job at Kids to Kids? Why place it ANY place where it would be discovered? Putting it near her family just seems odd. Especially, with there bein SO many remote places between Nelson and Cville. It's going to bother me until the truth comes out.
Three things come to mind:
He was stalking her either in real life or through her OL Persona
He is taunting police while torturing her family
He wanted to misdirect the investigators just like Morgan Harrington's Killer did with black t-shirt.

I watched NG tonight and missed what led the cops to pick up this guy, what evidence do they have that he was involved?

I'm watching NG now and she doesn't seem to have much of a clue. They just keep acting like they just arrested him because they saw him there and knew he had a record. How can they arrest him for just that? I thought I read somewhere on here that they saw him take off behind AM when she left. Am I remembering correctly?

I'm watching NG now and she doesn't seem to have much of a clue. They just keep acting like they just arrested him because they saw him there and knew he had a record. How can they arrest him for just that? I thought I read somewhere on here that they saw him take off behind AM when she left. Am I remembering correctly?

That's how I understand it. I too think it's pretty extreme to be able to arrest someone for kidnapping if they do not have proof he had. So there must be a lot on camera that none of us know about. I have wondered if the used car lot plays into this - because I'm sure most lots have cameras that face to the road etc. If they happened to have had a confrontation near it and were seen on surveillance that would make some sense, as her phone last pinged across the highway from there. I'm not sure if the cameras work even remotely that far away but like I said - it's highly possible the could have at some point been right in front.

But if they had any proof he was in her car and driving it - wouldn't they arrest him for auto theft?

So many damn questions!

Brand new here and I have not had time to read all the threads so Im not sure if this has been posted. I do live in this area though and have been digging around on the internet for the past week in regards to this case. A lot of people are speculating that RT is the 29 stalker. Go to this link and scroll down to the comments made by Kate from Greensboro....the vehicle she describes sounds like RT's minus the camo. Wish there was a way to find out when that was put on the suburban.

http://www.ontherightinva.com/2010/01/27/has-the-route-29-stalker-returned-to-virginia/

That's how I understand it. I too think it's pretty extreme to be able to arrest someone for kidnapping if they do not have proof he had. So there must be a lot on camera that none of us know about. I have wondered if the used car lot plays into this - because I'm sure most lots have cameras that face to the road etc. If they happened to have had a confrontation near it and were seen on surveillance that would make some sense, as her phone last pinged across the highway from there. I'm not sure if the cameras work even remotely that far away but like I said - it's highly possible the could have at some point been right in front.

But if they had any proof he was in her car and driving it - wouldn't they arrest him for auto theft?

So many damn questions!

I'm confused now more than ever. On NG they also keep going on about how if they don't find anything soon then this could be just like the last missing girl case he was involved in. I hope this isn't the case and they do have some type of evidence on this guy if he in fact did abduct her. Now she just mentioned they saw her talking to him, but just a minute ago she was saying that they saw her talking to a man, but wouldn't release any info about what man she was talking to. You're right!!! so many damn questions!!!

I'm confused now more than ever. On NG they also keep going on about how if they don't find anything soon then this could be just like the last missing girl case he was involved in. I hope this isn't the case and they do have some type of evidence on this guy if he in fact did abduct her. Now she just mentioned they saw her talking to him, but just a minute ago she was saying that they saw her talking to a man, but wouldn't release any info about what man she was talking to. You're right!!! so many damn questions!!!

well I managed to find this one guy up there thinks he looked out of place and I read something about a Hwy stalker sorry I forgot the name of the highway:

http://www.nbc29.com/story/23130116/lovingston-man-he-recalls-randy-taylors-strange-behavior

its the route 29 stalker

Brand new here and I have not had time to read all the threads so Im not sure if this has been posted. I do live in this area though and have been digging around on the internet for the past week in regards to this case. A lot of people are speculating that RT is the 29 stalker. Go to this link and scroll down to the comments made by Kate from Greensboro....the vehicle she describes sounds like RT's minus the camo. Wish there was a way to find out when that was put on the suburban.

http://www.ontherightinva.com/2010/01/27/has-the-route-29-stalker-returned-to-virginia/

Thanks for linking that.
Even if this turns out not to be connected I feel it is important for people to know the rt 29 stalker is still trying to pull people over.

I need to watch HLN! Never thought I'd say that :) I've been far too busy with ICU and other insane things going on today.
I by no means the operation of the police or FBI. I know they had to have their ducks in a row to pursue RAT based on not only the way correct LE work is done but also because he walked once before on a case I'm sure they felt very strongly about. The last thing they want is for him to walk once again. I know limited things about the way LE does work, however - common sense prevails in this case and charging someone with kidnapping is a very serious offense that I can't see them doing unless there is 100% proof.
I too am confused on the reporting by MSM regarding them seeing her talk to a man, others saying she was talking to RAT and then there is the info that he is seen following her out of the gas station. Still, how the heck is that kidnapping? That's where I'm confused but there must be proof that he did have her against her will. Maybe she did in fact post something or send a text to someone and we've not heard about it because FBI was involved almost immediately. Maybe though - maybe he was with someone at the gas station and he did in fact get in HER car and the "accomplice" is who drove his car out and followed behind them. They did mention that his kidnapping charge had "by means of intimidation" tacked on to it.

I go back to one of the first things we did hear which is that it was a sensitive matter in which involved family (I'm paraphrasing but I'm not too far off). They've made no mention on how family is involved in this, and by no means am I saying that family did anything malicious. It's just a rather curious statement.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how her car got there of all places - it feels far too coincidental, but stranger things have happened in life.

It appears (If we base stuff off of the other case RAT is directly connected to) that he does have a personal connection of some sorts. He did have the other young womans' phone #. And it is known that he did have 2 friends with him at that bar. So, part of me has this nagging feeling that he does have accomplices and they "select" whom they harm but lay and wait. Maybe he's not the one that commits the terrible physical aspect of these crimes but works as the one who fetches them (however it's to be phrased) and does hold the key to it all. But - if he isn't the one that causes the physical harm, why not turn state on those who have? What on earth does he have to gain in protecting others? That's another thing that throws me for a loop. In the other case he claims to call the young woman a couple of times because he was attempting to warn her not to come out as it was a trap and she would be hurt. That statement essentially says that he knew she was going to be harmed, so how did he know and why not call the police in that situation? Granted he's not an upstanding citizen and he does have a track record for screwing up but none the less, that's a life we are talking about and he was concerned enough to phone her (provided there was even an ounce of truth to anything he said).

As it sounds now, he went to the lingerie shop and purchased adult movies - then he went to the gas station. From there we know he spoke to Alexis and followed her out of the gas station. Her phone then pinged at the Canary Loop and hadn't worked after that. Her car was found on Tuesday (?) around 11am at the cinema near her grandmothers home and close to her job. A scent (who's scent we do not know) went from her car to the "clubhouse" aka the commons area (?) of the apartment complex near by. The scent ended there. However, LE had already executed a search warrant on a property on Canary Loop before finding her car and had already suspected RAT of involvement. This again was before her car was found, we had heard nothing about this and we can only assume it's because they were attempting to amass enough evidence to get a warrant for his arrest and also secure other search warrants. They must've had him under 24hr surveillance during the time they received and viewed the security tapes at the gas station and realized who they were once again dealing with in a disappearance of another young woman.

I'm not too sure where it comes into play regarding people having witnessed him walking along Route 29. I'm not clear if he was noticed doing this prior to Alexis missing or afterwards. If it was after then he doing so because he didn't want his car being seen (?) OR because he's just a sketch ball, I suppose.

We know his camper was taken in, his suburban and I read an off road vehicle as well.

It's very telling that LE had not only shovels but rakes on the property. Now, I'm again not anywhere near educated in the ways of LE but shovels are meant to dig and rakes are meant to comb. Why on earth would they need a rake other than ominous reasonings.

I'm with everyone who believes there's no way that Alexis is in that area. If anything - he would return to where ever he is familiar and feels secure. He knows LE will stop at nothing to get answers, which is evident by their brazen behavior concerning the last case and the GPS device they put on his truck without his knowledge. If he does have an accomplice, there's a possibility she is very much alive and stashed somewhere with this other person. I don't wish that sort of trauma on anyone but I can't imagine her parents and loved ones never seeing her again either.

I have just a handful of cases on here which I feel emotionally invested in. Brittney Wood is one case, another is Kelly Armstrong (a lady I have known for a long time and worked with), the case that brought me here: Jaren Lockhart - who I also worked with for a short period of time during a tour. Now Alexis is in my heart. She permeates Tumblr, twitter and FB with her case and being that she's established socially (social media wise) - it hits close to home. I know that a lot of people feel that 11K followers is odd for someone not "famous" but it's actually not odd, although it is a minority in the world of non celeb types. I know a few people with that amount of followers that I cannot tell you how or why it's happened - except they are attractive, accept and follow back plus they correspond with people. I have near that amount on Tumblr myself and it's not difficult to do. I worry about women or men that are much younger than myself (like Alexis) who do post to these outlets and give away too much personal information. It's that entire "immortal" feeling we all experience as a teen. I'm sure she felt safe, given where she lived and I get a vibe that she was very protected and loved at home. That entire "bad stuff doesn't happen here" mentality.

Sorry for the ramble. This all has been weighing heavily on my mind. I have a child 1 year older than her, it makes me dwell a bit too much. I can look at Alexis's photos and see a bright, good head on her shoulders, going places in this world, very loved - young person. To think that something terrible has happened and possibly the WORST thing as well, it breaks my heart.

So many things don't sit right with me in this case, I hope it's just the lack of information we are receiving from LE (and for all the RIGHT reasons) rather than I get this indifferent feeling by viewing RAT. Something feels so off concerning him. I've yet to have an "a-ha!" moment. :(

Just watched the video of RAT in court, to me, he seemed calm, cool and collected. He wasn't fidgety like a person needing drugs would be. But he does look strange looking. He didn't set off any bad 'vibes', but he does look like he has been in front of a judge many many times. He is behind bars until January, luckily there is no bond.

Hoping to find Alexis soon .

Can someone please tell me why they are linking him to the Route 29 killer? sorry if its been said before.

I was watching ID tonight on Killing Truckers, and it touched on truckers who travel routes leaving a wake of dead bodies behind. That the Interstate systems has become a highway of hell.

They mostly showcased serial killers who were truckers and I found some of the same traits in them that I see in RAT. Narcisisstic, thinking they are smarter than the law, that they feel powerful in having control over the life and death of others, and holding a community hostage to it's fear. They think they will never get caught and start taking less precautions in time.

If RAT is the Rt. 29 Stalker/Serial Killer, then he could be responsible for a lot of the missing women along that route. A lot of them. That is if LE can get him to talk and brag about his exploits.

LE has apparently had him in their sights for a long time to be able to head straight for him when Alexis disappeared and he was seen in the video. Who knows, this might have been the final link in the case they have been building against him for a long time.

Unfortunetly, as with most serial killers, police need them to continue to kill in order to learn more about them and finally get them. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberlynn566