Victim: Alexis Murphy, 17, missing from Shipman, VA, 03 August 2013 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think he is innocent either however it seems many commenting on the articles do.

He does have a violent hx, just look on his thread. http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219213&page=3

one assault and battery in 87 which could easily be a punch up. otherwise they are loser charges, burglary and misdemeanors. No rapes, no history of sex offenses or things you would expect in a 20=30 year history with LE for crimes like these. Yes I know, there is always a first time especially with a serial killer but 20 to 30 years there should be one who escaped or one who was sexually assaulted but not killed, especially in the beginning years. Something of that sort, be it a peeping tom finding girls underwear in his home.

I am just trying to be objective here and I can't hang my hat on anything so far except a belief that LE normally gets the right man....but they normally are willing to go to court when they arrest them too so even that doesn't reassure me much

Important things first, for those who may not have seen this article:

http://www.roanoke.com/news/2150555-12/defense-missing-teen-alexis-murphy-was-in-camper.html

A wooded gully about 10 feet from U.S. 29 was bordered with crime scene tape Wednesday afternoon. Investigators focused on the area for hours, entering the woods with gloves, evidence tags and cameras.

Searching through the gully, one canine handler shouted, “We found it!”

Investigator Billy Mays, of the Nelson County Sheriff’s Office, said no information will be released on Wednesday’s search.

He noted, however, crews have shifted from a missing person search to a criminal investigation.

FBI spokeswoman Dennette Rybiski would not say what investigators found on the property. She declined to comment on Hallahan’s claim about another man with Murphy.

Perhaps they hope to bring all the charges against him and not just prove he disappeared Alexis. Finding Alexis' body and gathering the evidence there, makes the case stronger. When the defense files for a bond hearing, which they will do, more evidence will come out. It doesn't matter that the date was set for January because everyone knows they will file for a bond hearing imo.

Sure but when was the last case where the prosecution said they couldn't be ready in 30 days and asked for 5 months before the next court date. Not even trial but court date?There is a reason that all citizens are entitled to a speedy trial. It is so that LE can't just arrest and warehouse while they take their time to build a case.

THey have every right to add a murder charge at any time, that doesn't mean you arrest someone just hoping you can make a murder charge at some time in the future. It goes against the constitution

For context: For those who have never poked into the Tim Bosma threads--there is basically a mountain of evidence pointing at the guy who is currently in jail awaiting trial, including the murdered man's remains on his property and the murdered man's truck sitting in the accused guy's mother's driveway, but there is a still a weirdly large group of posters defending the accused every day. (I'm not one of them.) After several months of that situation, that's part of why I'm going--wait, all they have is a hair?

I'm hoping they have more than that, that's all.

When does LE have to show all their cards, procedure-wise?

Random thoughts part deux.

I thought I read in one article, a family member said that Alexis said she would be home by 12. That does speak to her having plans to hang with someone, somewhere. 4 hours shopping alone isn't what you would expect for a 17 year old girl. Could some of her friends be afraid to speak out?

If she wasn't planning on being home until 12 she definitely had plans to do something other than shopping, since most shops close by 9. Could have been a movie, could have been just hanging out.

Can someone please confirm if there are any links that confirm that RAT saw or interacted with her via online profiles? TIA.

I don't think there is any confirmation.

RSBM: I remember one of the locals trying to explain the pings, and the horrible cell service there. Back in thread 3 I think.... I'll go look.

Yes, cell signals can be sketchy out in rural areas around here because of the mountain/valley terrain. But what is curious is if the last ping was near where RAT lived why were there no more when she left? If she left.

Why'd she lose phone service so soon after this supposed deal started? I'm trying to picture her hanging around his tiny camper trailer not drinking or smoking, and not using her phone. They left before dark which someone said it got dark a little after 8 p.m.

He's lying, I think.

Ditto.

My thoughts exactly.

Someone else mentioned and I agree that she didn't really smoke, but, for whatever reason wanted people to think she did.

:twocents:

I recall seeing a picture of her blowing smoke in her twitter media, so I'm inclined to believe she smoked something. How often or what we don't know. And it could have just been for show.

If he was stalking her and they had never met, I am wondering how he knew her twitter username? Those of you that are twitter experts?? I may be wrong but thought it might have been him that tweeted how she looked good in her floral leggings. Anyone know the username that tweeted that?

I'm not sure he was stalking her via SM. Though he may have known about her twitter via his son - but even that seems like a stretch because we don't know if his son knew her or followed her on twitter and if he did we don't know that he'd just randomly talk to ol dad about it. I can't help but wonder myself if he learned about her twitter feed like most of us did, AFTER she was missing. That would fill him in on some of her habits etc. BTW...the comment about her leggings at the gas station was on her ******* account. That is anonymous.

For context: For those who have never poked into the Tim Bosma threads--there is basically a mountain of evidence pointing at the guy who is currently in jail awaiting trial, including the murdered man's remains on his property and the murdered man's truck sitting in the accused guy's mother's driveway, but there is a still a weirdly large group of posters defending the accused every day. (I'm not one of them.) After several months of that situation, that's part of why I'm going--wait, all they have is a hair?

I'm hoping they have more than that, that's all.

When does LE have to show all their cards, procedure-wise?

I think Hallahan said not til spring but with a bond hearing some will come out then. Essentially they get a free pass for 5 months.

What if they have asked for such a long time till trial to see if they also tie the other old cases to him?

Also, his story about what happened is certainly detailed, as detailed as in the other case. And I think there is probably some truth in it. The other guy may well have been to his house. On another day for example.
But what strikes me is that he seems to not be commenting on the state that he believes Alexis to be in. Alive? Abducted by the other guy? Eloped? If he spent such a long time with her the day that she disappeared, he must have some inkling about her mood, her relationship to the guy, her current safety etc.
IMO, he is only trying to make sure that the evidence that he believes LE has doesn't stick to him. He doesn't seem worried about the well being of a person that has gone missing in his community...

Lastly, I think that LE is perhaps not actively searching for the other guy, because they want to know if the defense is going to be proactive about that. Do they actually want the other guy involved and telling a whole other story (perhaps) or opening up other cans of worms? Or are they sure of their truth?

As convinced as I am that it is a bs story, part of me is hoping this 'other guy' theory is true though. There may be a better chance of her having gone with him willingly and of her being found alive.

Laptops are so cheap now - including "notebooks" (under 200 bucks) and most people have some sort of smart phone even if it's pay as you go. granted he did buy or rent *advertiser censored* - most people just watch it online for free .. but from the short stint of the god awful job I had working in a truck stop (those huge places) "adult shop" aka the lion's den - MANY just liked to come in there to lurk around or go in the back with the pay per minute video machines.

The shop he went into looks like "Lovers Lane" where I'm from, and it's more geared towards strippers and has a smaller section of adult toys/items. The outfits and shoes are for the dancers, with a small area by the check out for bachelorette gag gifts, adult greeting cards and then it's the movies, magazines and toys. Any S&M gear is cheaply made. Restraints that DO restrain are often bought online. Most stuff sold in those stores are with safety and comfort in mind (fuzzy, velcro release etc).

I have no idea where I'm going with this lol. I could see him having a notebook computer though over a smartphone and using it in wifi hot spots.

I upgraded my smartphone last year but because of where I live my internet connection sucks with the new phone, BUT, my old phone's connection still works great, so it's not uncommon for me to use my old cut off phone for web activity while at home. He wouldn't necessarily need a computer or active phone to sit in the lot & get WI-fi.

I feel like, if he were actively trying to pin it on the other guy, he wouldn't have gone out of his way to say that Alexis and Caprice Classic Guy left separately. I mean, it does plant some doubt, but he says she left under her own power in her own car.

This has always bothered me:

Originally Posted by popsicle View Post
On her Ask page, 10 days ago someone says they are coming to see her this weekend for the first time and she responds, and who is this?

The next entry is, you are seriously one of the most prettiest girls I have ever seen on twitter and she responds thank you.

What if they have asked for such a long time till trial to see if they also tie the other old cases to him?

Also, his story about what happened is certainly detailed, as detailed as in the other case. And I think there is probably some truth in it. The other guy may well have been to his house. On another day for example.
But what strikes me is that he seems to not be commenting on the state that he believes Alexis to be in. Alive? Abducted by the other guy? Eloped? If he spent such a long time with her the day that she disappeared, he must have some inkling about her mood, her relationship to the guy, her current safety etc.
IMO, he is only trying to make sure that the evidence that he believes LE has doesn't stick to him. He doesn't seem worried about the well being of a person that has gone missing in his community...

Lastly, I think that LE is perhaps not actively searching for the other guy, because they want to know if the defense is going to be proactive about that. Do they actually want the other guy involved and telling a whole other story (perhaps) or opening up other cans of worms? Or are they sure of their truth?

As convinced as I am that it is a bs story, part of me is hoping this 'other guy' theory is true though. There may be a better chance of her having gone with him willingly and of her being found alive.

But that is the thing, generally you cant just pop someone in jail and then say well we will take away his right to a speedy trial because we hope we can tie him to other things and if we can't so sad to bad. It may be technically legal but imo they have opened the door to a supreme court case that could overturn any conviction they get. It is one heck of a risk when you think about it. If they had something solid they would do what every other le does, have a court date for motions and pretrial hearings etc. in 30 days.

For LE to not be actively searching for possible lead to her (it could be accomplice it could be the per it could be neither) is simply astounding.

I was a lot more sure of his guilt berfore LE decided to bend the normal rules, not follow leads etc.

Which is why I am not believing LE has anything. Apparently it is legal under some clause that was posted upthread but i suspect that it could be appealed and won if the bond hearing doesn't go the way the defense wants. 5 months??? with no evidence shown?

I wouldn't be nearly as willing to listen to RAT's story if this was being handled normally but this guy has been a thorn in the side of LE ever since he fought their handling of the SC case. Sometimes blinders occur then. Ego's get involved and things are done that wouldn't be done in any other case. I know there are some who say if they weren't sure and had concrete proof then they wouldn't have arrested him bc of the past but I see it as the opposite, they look at whatever they have as concrete proof because their belief in his guilt is so strong.

Purely as a matter of civil rights for everyone, i think the 5 months needs to be jettisoned fast cause it means they can lock anyone up for that length of time with nothing and show nothing to the defense if they choose. That is enough for an innocent person to lose everything he has. You or me or any other innocent person wrongly arrested.

This is exactly how I feel about it. I'm certain his attorney does too.

It does make it appear that RAT is being railroaded. The Judge should not have agreed to a January hearing, but there it is. Clause or no clause, it is a violation of every U.S. Citizen's rights. If it were a straight up murder charge, then not so much, as a bond hearing would still be held before January, only denied bond. RAT is not held on a murder charge.

I think RAT is in this up to his eyeballs, but I do like to see our Judicial System used properly, for all of us.

I feel like, if he were actively trying to pin it on the other guy, he wouldn't have gone out of his way to say that Alexis and Caprice Classic Guy left separately. I mean, it does plant some doubt, but he says she left under her own power in her own car.

He only needs reasonable doubt and he knows that.

Yes he doesn't seem to be SODDIing it specifically with this guy, just explaining why she was there and who was there with him.

Doesn't clear him by any means but does give a plausible reason if the other guy corroborates.

I wouldn't say the spent a long time together according to his story. They met at the gas station at 7:15 ish, drove to his place up the road about a mile and the two left before the sun set, which would have been around 8:15ish. So no more than 40 minutes by his account.

I agree that he doesn't seem concerned about her well being, just his own.

If M who is commenting over at NBC29 has any thing to do about it they will find this guy working the night shift at Wal-mart. She has apparently called the defense attorney. Whether her story is true or she's just jerking people around on media websites we don't know. But it sure sounds like she believes RAT is telling the truth. Wonder if she knows him? IMO I think there very well could be some guy with cornrows driving a maroon caprice with 22 inch rims, but I'm not so sure he was involved. It seems so easy for people who commit crimes to point fingers to "the black guy" - i.e. Susan Smith (and there have been a few others). I'm not so sure RAT acted alone if he is the one that is responsible but I'm also not sure Mr. Cornrow is his accomplice.

Good point. I don't think he is actively trying to accuse him, I think he is trying to deflect from himself.

I find it odd that people are questioning why it would take five months for another court appearance. They haven't even completed their investigation yet. That could take a month or more. And there could be more charges added. The prosecutor has to review all evidence before he/she can do much of anything. They are still collective evidence right now. Also, I'm sure Nelson County's prosecutors haven't tried a lot of abduction cases, and this case may include other charges soon. It's not Orlando, Florida. They don't have several individuals in the state attorney's office. So it will take them some time to build their case. Plus, there likely is forensic analysis that must take place, and it takes time to conduct all of the necessary testing.

This jack *advertiser censored* is going nowhere. If his lawyer truly thought the state didn't have enough evidence, he wouldn't have waived his right to a speedy trial. They'd likely want him to face the charges ASAP. But they know they have a lot of legwork to do in defending him. They also need time to build their defense case.

This is exactly how I feel about it. I'm certain his attorney does too.

It does make it appear that RAT is being railroaded. The Judge should not have agreed to a January hearing, but there it is. Clause or no clause, it is a violation of every U.S. Citizen's rights. If it were a straight up murder charge, then not so much, as a bond hearing would still be held before January, only denied bond. RAT is not held on a murder charge.

I think RAT is in this up to his eyeballs, but I do like to see our Judicial System used properly, for all of us.

It makes me angry because i was sure of his guilt before this stunt lol. Now I am looking at everything LE says and does with a jaundiced eye. And the more I look at it the more annoyed I am at them for planting reasonable doubt in my mind. AND for taking away his rights, pisses me off that i am feeling any empathy for the creep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autumn.Doe