Victim: Alexis Murphy, 17, missing from Shipman, VA, 03 August 2013 - #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posting to get this thread on my subscriptions list/WS radar...

I really don't have much to add at the moment...

I hope Alexis is found soon...

and am :praying: for those that love her... And there are many! :heartbeat:

Okay, I see what you're saying.

But the vast majority of people who are committing $200 breaking and entering and driving with illegal equipment are not going to escalate to becoming rapists, kidnappers, or murderers.

Let's just say, it is IMO, that fewer folks would commit these types of crimes if they knew that there would be a stiff minimum penalty...if they knew that committing a burglary, even burglary at night, if found guilty, would result in NO LESS THAN FIVE YEARS CONFINEMENT. We know RAT was charged with many Burglaries and even though he did time in the Virginia Beach case he kept doing it but serving no time. Go figure, after one conviction you would think that he would serve time for subsequent crimes of a similar nature. But not in Virginia it seems.

I will admit that serving 3+ years for the VA Beach case doesn't seem to have deterred him from being a career criminal. But I don't really care if it works, I just want these people to be appropriatly penalized for the crimes in which a court finds them guilty. For me it's all about justice and letting a guy do the same crime at least half a dozen times and only making him pay a fine and serve probation is total BS, IMO.

I could name a dozen PsOS who have gone on to commit heinous crimes and they too had records just like RAT. And here I sit worrying about getting pulled over for some outstanding parking ticket...F' it why pay anything back...even the court fees and fines...? Why follow any laws? Why not take what isn't mine, why not rob people of their wallets, why not burn my car and call the insurance company and report it stolen.... Why not? Because, I know it is wrong to do any of those things. I have a F'n conscience.

Thanks, that's interesting. So they might be able to track the phone's movements even if it was damaged.

LE stated early on that the phone either died or was destroyed. So it seems they were able to track it and know it wasn't just turned off imo. I am curious what time that last ping was and if any of the found phones were hers, what condition it was in.

If her destroyed phone was found on his property... very incriminating evidence imo.

It just occurred to me. Alexis either had an iPhone or a new Samsung according to her internet photos.

Who turned off the geolocation or took the battery out? LE could have found it quickly if geolocation was on or battery in once parents gave them the phone info, right?

It is extremely difficult to get the battery out of an iPhone. It has to be taken apart completely pretty much. There's no button to push to pop the battery out. It's an internal battery. And I do NOT see RT being technologically advanced enough to know how to do that. I also don't believe he would be familiar enough with iPhones to know how to turn Location Services off. I would imagine AM had hers turned on, because it's default. And considering her social media presence, I'd say her Location Services were turned on.

And that's not taking into account whether he smashed it, ran over it, or otherwise tried to erase or damage it.

I agree with this. I'd say that if he realized "Oh s**t I can't get the battery out, might as well run over it or smash it to pieces!" that he would do just that. I'm just REALLY hoping that one of the phones they found was Alexis's :(

Well, I did the "google to see if the thing I just posted is true". :)

iPhones since the 3GS do have a separate GPS receiver that should function for basic navigation as long as the phone is not in airplane mode (well, and assuming you do have location services on). BUT I don't know if that information is really tracked, or at least in a sense that is quickly accessible to LE. At that point your phone is talking to navigation satellites, but not your cell provider's network. (E.g.: the GPS receiver in an iPhone will work even without a SIM card in the phone.)

I have no idea if it's tracked per say, but I do know it's trackable. Good info Ariane! Thank you :)

Sadly, I think for the most part, modern-day perps (even at RT's level) are smart enough to turn the phone off, strip the battery (challenging but possible for an iPhone), or ditch the phone early. Sometimes all three.

I said that right up there ^^ about the battery being extremely difficult to take out of an iPhone. It has to be completely taken apart, and it's not an easy task. I'd say that RT wouldn't know how to go about taking the phone apart, so he either tossed it (which I hope, since one of the phones they found may be AM's) or ran it over or smashed it. Hopefully neither of the latter ideas...but who knows with this .

IIRC, the last ping was near the stop light at Liberty, and was immediately after she was seen at Liberty. The last call was reported by family to have been to her voicemail. LE spent several days searching Cannery Loop (Lane whatever it was called) looking for the cellphone since that's where it last pinged. Remember they even searched homes looking for it.

Let's just say, it is IMO, that fewer folks would commit these types of crimes if they knew that there would be a stiff minimum penalty...if they knew that committing a burglary, even burglary at night, if found guilty, would result in NO LESS THAN FIVE YEARS CONFINEMENT. We know RAT was charged with many Burglaries and even though he did time in the Virginia Beach case he kept doing it but serving no time. Go figure, after one conviction you would think that he would serve time for subsequent crimes of a similar nature. But not in Virginia it seems.

I will admit that serving 3+ years for the VA Beach case doesn't seem to have deterred him from being a career criminal. But I don't really care if it works, I just want these people to be appropriatly penalized for the crimes in which a court finds them guilty. For me it's all about justice and letting a guy do the same crime at least half a dozen times and only making him pay a fine and serve probation is total BS, IMO

I could name a dozen PsOS who have gone on to commit heinous crimes and they too had records just like RAT. And here I sit worrying about getting pulled over for some outstanding parking ticket...F' it why pay anything back...even the court fees and fines...? Why follow any laws? Why not take what isn't mine, why not rob people of their wallets, why not burn my car and call the insurance company and report it stolen.... Why not? Because, I know it is wrong to do any of those things. I have a F'n conscience.
Good post.
:scared: Please pay the parking ticket. :rockon:

LE stated early on that the phone either died or was destroyed. So it seems they were able to track it and know it wasn't just turned off imo. I am curious what time that last ping was and if any of the found phones were hers, what condition it was in.

If her destroyed phone was found on his property... very incriminating evidence imo.

I hope it wasn't destroyed..because I don't think much info, if any at ALL, would be able to be extracted from the phone. Hopefully it just died and this rat tossed it and it's still intact. I'm also very curious about the pings and the condition of her phone..if indeed it was one of the phones found on his property.

Good post.
:scared: Please pay the parking ticket. :rockon:

It's done...even though I had photographic documentation that I was in the right...I didn't want to go through the hassle of DC courts to Appeal the fine. I simply wrote a check. My time would have cost me more that the $30-50 fine. Don't tell my kid...who was with me at the time and advised me to dispute it :)

< omg Ashley, your avatar!! :floorlaugh:

>

I will admit that serving 3+ years for the VA Beach case doesn't seem to have deterred him from being a career criminal. But I don't really care if it works, I just want these people to be appropriatly penalized for the crimes in which a court finds them guilty. For me it's all about justice and letting a guy do the same crime at least half a dozen times and only making him pay a fine and serve probation is total BS, IMO.

^^^^absolute Word^^^^

It is extremely difficult to get the battery out of an iPhone. It has to be taken apart completely pretty much. There's no button to push to pop the battery out. It's an internal battery. And I do NOT see RT being technologically advanced enough to know how to do that. I also don't believe he would be familiar enough with iPhones to know how to turn Location Services off. I would imagine AM had hers turned on, because it's default. And considering her social media presence, I'd say her Location Services were turned on.

I agree with this. I'd say that if he realized "Oh s**t I can't get the battery out, might as well run over it or smash it to pieces!" that he would do just that. I'm just REALLY hoping that one of the phones they found was Alexis's :(

I have no idea if it's tracked per say, but I do know it's trackable. Good info Ariane! Thank you :)

I said that right up there ^^ about the battery being extremely difficult to take out of an iPhone. It has to be completely taken apart, and it's not an easy task. I'd say that RT wouldn't know how to go about taking the phone apart, so he either tossed it (which I hope, since one of the phones they found may be AM's) or ran it over or smashed it. Hopefully neither of the latter ideas...but who knows with this .

This is absolutely splitting hairs on my part, but I see it stated a lot that iPhone location services are on "by default". This may have been true in older versions of iOS, but in current generations you are prompted whether to enable them the first time you start up the device after purchase or wipe. The switch defaults to off.

That said, I agree that a younger, non-paranoid person is unlikely to have them turned off.

On battery removal, I am of two minds. I know I could have the battery out of an iPhone in a few minutes with a quick google, especially if I wasn't concerned about ripping off cables. But I am mechanically and technically inclined and I have a lot of small tools. So...basically anyone could do it if they had google and put their mind to it, but would a criminal in a hurry take the time when running over it with a truck or submerging it would be faster? Prolly not.

now that I'm home from work, lol, I'm even more curious about RAT's activities in junk/salvage yards. Wonder if he's a regular/frequent/even seldom customer
at any of these places, and not just in Nelson county?

Say you're a criminal, and despite the "pettiness" of at least 3/4 of his crime, RAT is indisputably a criminal, and deviant. Anyway, if someone was in a hit and run accident, and they didn't want their local garage mechanic to fix
their car because it had paint on it from the vehicle you hit, and it was so obvious you did hit someone's vehicle, how convenient would a criminal be
who was also very good at fixing your car? This criminal mechanic/car restorer
could go to a junkyard to get a side panel or fender, etc--because ordering one might be dangerous, paper trail and all.

So this criminal car restorer could also do this for himself if he say, ran someone off the road and got a dented fender, or even junk the whole
vehicle, but in parts, after the crime.

Let's see, you would need a warrant to search for that exact thing, unless you sent people in anonymously, especially if you felt this junkyard owner wouldn't be exactly cooperative, even litigative. is that a word?

I'm an ex-marine. When someone says, "Disregard that." without qualifying,
as in, "maybe you should disregard that," or "why don't you disregard that?"
it's a direct order, military style. jus sayin Last time I checked I was honorably discharged after my tour of duty lol.

<o/t, but this reminds me of Tim Bosma's case and DM's airplane hangar...>

I studied English lit in college, not criminal science, but one of the standard jokes from the colonial era up to when public hanging went out of style was that the most likely place to get your pocket picked was at the hanging of a pickpocket.

Systems don't work because of punishment. They work because people like us believe in the rules and follow them because everybody's life is better that way. Yes, there will always be criminals, but if harsher and harsher sentences haven't reduced the number of murderers, rapists, and child molesters, then there's something else going on that needs to be addressed at the root.

off topic, sorry...

<I'm trying to pm a moderator, but can't even send a message out...seems I am only able to remain logged in for about a minute, then I get booted off...anyone else? I keep losing my posts. TIA>

Tried to quote you maragita25, but it won't let me. I'm having to post, and post, and post before it finally shows up. Grrr!!

64 Cannery Loop, Lovingston, VA 22949
For Sale: $48,500
Zestimate: $221,102
Beds: 3, Baths: 2.0
Sqft: 1,824, Lot size: 43,124
Type: Single Family
Year Built: 1900
Last Sold 3/11/04
Days on Zillow: 18
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/107970937_zpid/
Wonder if they searched the empty homes this one has a cellar

Status