Miley Cyrus - what the heck happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The tongue thing seems to be generational. If you look on facebook at pictures of this age group half of them seem to feel the need to thrust their, often pierced, tongues out and about and into a colegues ear when available.
I watched and wondered "why do I find this so disturbing" the back up dancers were, to my mind. more provocative, as they had breasts and bottoms.
Madonna was extremely sexual and provactive, still is, but she was not the sheltered child star that Miley is. Madonna was street wise. She wore her cone shaped bra with the confidence of a W O M A N.
Miley's slender curveless figure made her look much younger and Robin Thicke older and it all came together to look just a little bit creepy
Im glad to have confirmation that it was indeed her Tongue....I was about to email ASPCA and lobby for a proper aquarium for that poor Fresh Water Eel she was holding hostage in her mouth.
And yeah the middle age looking Robin Thicke in juxtaposition with her asexual 12 year old looking self gave the concept of 'Creepy' fresh resonance.
Disturbing,unseemly and sad.

I see a young person being angry and trying to break out of the "role" she had written for her. The girl next door. She chose to try to emulate the stars, Madonna, MJ, Gaga, wrestlers even, you name it. It came off very poorly b/c, honestly, she is not a singer or a dancer. She is just angry.

Why all of this is now entertainment I have no idea. All of the stars are doing the f* off thing mixed with the very sad portrayal of sex as a violent and ugly habit. I do wish we could turn back time and make entertainment more about something more elegant. It now seems it is all about self expression from rebels without a cause.

Not saying MC shouldn't be angry that she was a child star, just saying maybe stars could use their time a bit more wisely. Understand the gifts being a star can bring. You can bring up world issues and try to help. You can express yourself and your generation, but in a manner that can help others come to terms and resolution. Not just spewing vile ugliness. My generation contributed greatly to this, and I am much, much older than MC.

Another Lohan has arrived. Rehab after countless rehab and countless/useless in Hollywood Court hours will be spent with nothing gained or learned. I hope I am wrong, and this is so embarrassing that she decides a better route. I don't think she will see this as embarrassing. Really, the girl really is not talented and someone pays someone(s) to tell her she is.

And someone please check #8 before she wears the old rubber pants women fought for years to be rid of on stage again. Please! I hope someone would tell me I needed a different size, at the least, before my butt flaps hung for the world to see. :facepalm:

I see a young person being angry and trying to break out of the "role" she had written for her. The girl next door. She chose to try to emulate the stars, Madonna, MJ, Gaga, wrestlers even, you name it. It came off very poorly b/c, honestly, she is not a singer or a dancer. She is just angry.

Why all of this is now entertainment I have no idea. All of the stars are doing the f* off thing mixed with the very sad portrayal of sex as a violent and ugly habit. I do wish we could turn back time and make entertainment more about something more elegant. It now seems it is all about self expression from rebels without a cause.

Not saying MH shouldn't be angry that she was a child star, just saying maybe stars could use their time a bit more wisely. Understand the gifts being a star can bring. You can bring up world issues and try to help. You can express yourself and your generation, but in a manner that can help others come to terms and resolution. Not just spewing vile ugliness. My generation contributed greatly to this, and I am much, much older than MH.

Another Lohan has arrived. Rehab after countless rehab and countless/useless in Hollywood Court hours will be spent with nothing gained or learned. I hope I am wrong, and this is so embarrassing that she decides a better route. I don't think she will see this as embarrassing. Really, the girl really is not talented and someone pays someone(s) to tell her she is.

And someone please check #8 before she wears the old rubber pants women fought for years to be rid of on stage again. Please! I hope someone would tell me I needed a different size at lease before my butt flaps hung for the world to see. :facepalm:
Yeah I can see how being defined as 'Hannah Montana' could be a bit restricting when you 'peak' at 17.
I think at the end of the day it was just an awkward and transparently desperate plea for attention and 'Edgy Cred'.
I mean even Taylor Swift who is a genuine talent seems kind of stuck with her Junior High Level "My celebrity boyfriend done me wrong but im getting even" histrionics.
Which are getting shopworn and approaching Caricature and she doesnt seem to know how to move on to a new perception to define herself either.

She gives an embarrassing performance, and that means she's going to rehab, jail, releasing a sex tape, going to overdose? Posts about her dying in her 20's are absolutely ridiculous. There's a major overreaction by everyone. People were saying those same things back in 2009 after her TCA performance, and four years later, it still hasn't happened.

It's kind of hilarious and sad too to see what a 20-year-old brings out in people. Ever since she was a teenager, people's reactions to her seem to be a little too intense. People go absolutely nuts over little "scandalous" thing that she does.

Everyone talking about how awful Miley Cyrus is needs to ask themselves this: if what SHE did was SO awful, why aren't you talking about Robin Thicke and how awful HE is? (Before everyone chimes in with "I AM!", I will just say, if most of your piling-on is about Miley, then you should check your biases).

And anyone who thinks the VMAs are supposed to be kid-friendly hasn't been watching for many years lol.

Smh about people who are shocked that a young woman might enjoy sex!

Everyone talking about how awful Miley Cyrus is needs to ask themselves this: if what SHE did was SO awful, why aren't you talking about Robin Thicke and how awful HE is? (Before everyone chimes in with "I AM!", I will just say, if most of your piling-on is about Miley, then you should check your biases).

And anyone who thinks the VMAs are supposed to be kid-friendly hasn't been watching for many years lol.

Smh about people who are shocked that a young woman might enjoy sex!

As far as I can tell, he was fully clothed, his tongue wasn't hanging out, and he wasn't gyrating in a vinyl bikini. So what is it that we should be complaining about?

Billy Ray Cyrus, the father of Miley Cyrus is living vicariously through her. Think about it. He is an one-hit wonder who wants to re-live his glory days through her daughter. Miley Cyrus has had more success than Billy Ray Cyrus. I am not excusing what she did.

My kids grew up watching Hannah Montana (secretly I did too). I read her book and really thought that she may turn out okay. She might. I know there have been reports of some marijuana use (from memory don't take it for fact please). There has been much speculation that this latest song is talking about Molly's...a drug. Personally...I think she is trying to break free from the Hannah Montana image and feels this is the best way to do it...ugh...that is too bad that we as society want to see that kind of entertainment...but, this is what we respond to...as evidenced by...MC having her own thread on WS after her train wreck of a show on the VMAs. I thought the performance was awful...singing was atrocious...sexual gestures were offensive...the foam finger needs tested...the bears were creepy...and it was exactly what MC or her managers intended. Look at the publicity...probably the most talked about performance...well played MC. Well played. Entertainment today is pure psychology.

As far as I can tell, he was fully clothed, his tongue wasn't hanging out, and he wasn't gyrating in a vinyl bikini. So what is it that we should be complaining about?

Ok, so the man pantomiming receiving and enjoying sexual gratification from the woman, and encouraging the sexual actions is a-ok, but the woman enjoying herself doing the same is gross? Got it.

Gotta love the double standards!

Why are people surprised that the VMAs are not Disney-fied? What parent of a young girl who was or is a Hannah Montana fan would sit their 8/9/10 year old down to watch them VMAs?

The VMAs haven't been aimed at the Hannah Montana age-set in years. In fact, not ever, lol. Anyone around my age remember Madonna simulating masturbation with the microphone while singing Like a Virgin back in the 80s?

And if your kiddo wasn't watching the VMAs the other night, then what's the problem?

Why are people surprised that the VMAs are not Disney-fied? What parent of a young girl who was or is a Hannah Montana fan would sit their 8/9/10 year old down to watch them VMAs?

The VMAs haven't been aimed at the Hannah Montana age-set in years. In fact, not ever, lol. Anyone around my age remember Madonna simulating masturbation with the microphone while singing Like a Virgin back in the 80s?

And if your kiddo wasn't watching the VMAs the other night, then what's the problem?

I certainly wouldn't. Mine were/are Disney fans...but I know how the VMAs are. I think it was a bit disturbing though. We were use to Madonna doing that stuff...Lady Gaga...so on...now we know to expect it from MC. That's all.

Ok, so the man pantomiming receiving and enjoying sexual gratification from the woman, and encouraging the sexual actions is a-ok, but the woman enjoying herself doing the same is gross? Got it.

Seriously? He isn't the one in plastic underwear dancing with tongue hanging out like a dog's. And shouldn't she be "enjoying" herself in a privacy of her home instead of on stage?

Thank you. I am really surprised that all the hoopla is surrounding a woman -any woman- doing X, Y, or Z and no mention, no talk of the grown man, with lyrics promoting rape and hurt to women, who was also there. Because well, he is a grown man. WTH. Really? :stormingmad:

I don't see the double standard, because IMO there's no comparison. MC was way more sleazy than RT (moo). If there's an RT thread in here, I'll contribute a post or 2 over there, too... Not crazy about him either.

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Tapatalk 2

Thank you. I am really surprised that all the hoopla is surrounding a woman -any woman- doing X, Y, or Z and no mention, no talk of the grown man, with lyrics promoting rape and hurt to women, who was also there. Because well, he is a grown man. WTH. Really? :stormingmad:

Lol, I guess everyone is okay with Robin's video, where the women were mere objects, there simply for the enjoyment of the men, but NOT okay with Miley who, unlike the robotic women in the video, was an active participant, a woman with actual agency, enjoying herself sexually.

Message heard loud and clear: women, do not act like you enjoy sex! You will either be shamed for being "slutty", or for not being sexy enough ("eww, gross!", "she has the body of a boy!", or "yuck, what's with her tongue?!").

Fwiw, even though its lyrics are problematic, I do like the song, (at least before it was overplayed), it's pretty hawt! :D

Lol, I guess everyone is okay with Robin's video, where the women were mere objects, there simply for the enjoyment of the men, but NOT okay with Miley who, unlike the robotic women in the video, was an active participant, a woman with actual agency, enjoying herself sexually.

Message heard loud and clear: women, do not act like you enjoy sex! You will either be shamed for being "slutty", or for not being sexy enough ("eww, gross!", "she has the body of a boy!", or "yuck, what's with her tongue?!").

Fwiw, even though its lyrics are problematic, I do like the song, (at least before it was overplayed), it's pretty hawt! :D

He he he. The song plays in every Bodypump and Zumba class I go to. I try to work it out and don't focus on the lyrics. :floorlaugh:

I wasn't crazy about it the first 1000 times I heard it, but its one of those songs that refuse to leave your head!

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Tapatalk 2

Personally, I made no mention bc the thread is about MC. I agree Blurred Lines has a sick meaning and the girls that agreed to be in the video...both productions...are just as sick as all involved in the making of it.

Personally, I made no mention bc the thread is about MC. I agree Blurred Lines has a sick meaning and the girls that agreed to be in the video...both productions...are just as sick as all involved in the making of it.

So, I looked up the meaning behind Blurred Lines...Robin Thicke says it's ridiculous that people are saying it is about rape and such...he says it is about women having a good and bad side....maybe men too....I forgot already...here is the link:

http://www.eonline.com/news/437614/robin-thicke-slams-ridiculous-criticism-over-blurred-lines-lyrics

The point is there if he were less dressed (and there have been plenty of male performers that have and done gyrations) and doing some of that kind of stuff, this thread nor the stories about it would be happening.

This isn't anything new. People seem to forget Madonna and her 'erotica' album. Does it matter if the person has talent?

What's interesting to me is this did exactly what was expected, people talking about it. She really is not that great of a singer or a dancer, heck I don't even think she looks all that, but yet here we are talking about Miley Cyrus. Nobody is going to care in a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288