Warning!! Will Cause Intense Anger; Restaurant refuses Iraq War Vet. and service dog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people think that anyone who gets public assistance of any kind are worthless able bodied people. Some of my family members believe that. Mostly its for children whose fathers don't pay support and for the elderly. I have compassion for these people. I paid my taxes for years and never resented helping others who needed it. As a matter of fact I donate to local food banks. There are starving, homeless people in this country. Downtown Nashville is full of them. Most of them look like average people. Some are mentally ill. Whatever, they need help. No one knows what goes on in another's life, what they've endured and whether they are worthy of any kind of assistance. Service animals are a necessary aid but most people pay for them themselves. We have a local prison whose inmates train assistance dogs. They don't come cheap. Around $5000.

Wow. I really hope this restaurant owner just did not know or understand.

If I had been there, here is where I get over all of my issues. I would have gotten up and tried to explain that the restaurant had to let the man and his dog in. Regardless what anyone thought was or was not a disability. I probably would have been punched. But I would have tried. Having worked in restaurants years ago, I do know that some are just not aware.

As far as some taking advantage, it is not as easy to do now. You get turned down until you get a lawyer, you get turned down if lots of requirements are not met. I realize in the past it was much easier, but not as much now. If someone does slip through, it is usually caught within a few years, and they do have to pay the money back, albeit at whatever rate the Judge decides depending on the job they are forced to get, if they are even allowed and not just tossed in Federal Prison.

Its not easy to fake any disorder. I worked for the government so I do know. I was an RN for the state of TN. High ranking, number 4. No one gets disability for fake diagnoses in that state. I love my fellow man. I help anyone who needs it. I'm not rich, but i help. Thats what god expects. JMO

On a cruise a few years ago a woman had a dog that rode around in a baby stroller, cutest damn thing I ever saw, it was a service dog because of severe anxiety. I had no problem with it, nor should the restaurant have IMO.

ok did I miss the fake service animal gravy train or what? I hardly ever, ever seen anyone with a service animal here in texas. I think the last time was over a year ago and the guy was blind. I go out a lot to eat. Yeah its cheaper to cook at home, but hey I can afford it and I'm lazy and preggo.

If this guy wants to go whereever with his dog I'm fine with it. I have nothing but respect for those that have served in the military and those with disabilities period. PERIOD! My DH is on disability and getting money due to the fact he cannot work and has an LVAD pump in his heart and awaiting transplant. He is 28. He had a really good job before and deserves all of the money he gets and more for a system he paid into.

This is just playing off you post and not meant to be a criticism of you.

There are many things that can cause PTSD other than war. Gang rape, surviving a murder attempt, being abused by a family member, surviving a shipwreck or plane wreck, having children die. Many different things can cause PTSD. IMO, unless you have a psychological PHD and have interviewed the person extensively, you can't say if it's a legitimate need or not. JMO

If you think it's a sham, then go up and ask the person what caused their PTSD. Be prepared to say I'm sorry a lot. JMO

Thank you SD!! Have I told you today that I love you? After my brother and his wife were murdered, I had to have counseling for two years. I was diagnosed with PTSD. I was terrified to even stand in my doorway, for fear of being shot sniper style. The brain is a funny organ. I still have panic attacks and have to take meds for it. I don't know what tomorrow will bring, but I do know that I will live each day to its fullest. Until you walk the walk? Try not, talking the talk. :( And Dan, from a mother of a vet, thank you for your service.

JMO, but I couldn't care less if the guy WAS "faking" it! The least I can do is pay a tiny portion of my paycheck to contribute my gratitude for his service. And I wouldn't care if he felt the need to dine with a service emu. Bon Appetit!

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Tapatalk 2

Thank you SD!! Have I told you today that I love you? After my brother and his wife were murdered, I had to have counseling for two years. I was diagnosed with PTSD. I was terrified to even stand in my doorway, for fear of being shot sniper style. The brain is a funny organ. I still have panic attacks and have to take meds for it. I don't know what tomorrow will bring, but I do know that I will live each day to its fullest. Until you walk the walk? Try not, talking the talk. :( And Dan, from a mother of a vet, thank you for your service.

BBM

:blushing:

Just so you know I never served.

JMO, but I couldn't care less if the guy WAS "faking" it! The least I can do is pay a tiny portion of my paycheck to contribute my gratitude for his service. And I wouldn't care if he felt the need to dine with a service emu. Bon Appetit!

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Tapatalk 2

BBM

:hug: :clap:

"Warning!! Will Cause Intense Anger ..."

Am I the only one who finds the subject line to be rather dire? I feel intense anger when I read here of someone who murdered his pregnant wife, or of a person who beat a child to death. There are many instances of horrible things that are told here at WS that make me intensely angry, but reading that a man was prevented from taking his service dog into a restaurant isn't one of them.

Rather, to me, it's just another an unfortunate incident between a patron and a misinformed restauranteur, one that was easily resolved. It hardly made me bare my claws.

Am I the only one who finds the subject line to be rather dire? I feel intense anger when I read here of someone who murdered his pregnant wife, or of a person who beat a child to death. There are many instances of horrible things that are told here at WS that make me intensely angry, but reading that a man was prevented from taking his service dog into a restaurant isn't one of them.

Rather, to me, it's just another an unfortunate incident between a patron and a misinformed restauranteur, one that was easily resolved. It hardly made me bare my claws.

It makes me feel intense anger. I love animals, but most of all I LOVE OUR VETS! And Dan, it doesn't make me love you any less. :blushing:

So only a murder will make you bare your claws?? All injustice should do that everyday, not just murder IMO

Sometimes, a body has to look outside the context of a constant barrage of murder, murder, murder.. and see injustices there, too. Among other things.

So only a murder will make you bare your claws?? All injustice should do that everyday, not just murder IMO

I'm quite a patient person. I really don't see the situation as "injustice". If the nation had decided that service animals couldn't enter restaurants, then that would be an injustice. This was just an case of a dumb schmuck who lacked courtesy and common sense. It makes me roll my eyes and sigh, but it doesn't enrage me.

I grew up in a housing project in Tremé on public assistance. My father became disabled, we couldn't afford health insurance or housing, & he went back to Central America to get medical treatment. We stayed in New Orleans. My Mom had three of us age 5 & under & I was the only one speaking even rudimentary English. We were treated with incredible sarcasm & I can't even think of how to say this in English. My Mom was blackmailed into a relationship with a horrendous pervert who threatened to have us all put in an orphanage & my Mom arrested for prostitution. He knew the cops, she couldn't speak English. The money my Dad sent us went to his nephew the lawyer/accountant. We never got it because my Mom refused to have a 'relationship' with her nephew-in-law. We never saw any other money he sent. His nephew had a BIG home. That's only half of what my childhood was like. My Mom did her best, learned English got a job. We all got out, went to college & had better lives. Does any of this qualify for PTSD? I don't judge. But someone must.

I had someone working for me (she called it a 'hustle') who was on public assistance. When I found out, shortly before I let her go, she said she got a 'stupid check' (her words) she was diagnosed as being 'slow' 40 years ago. She had a smart phone, & was waiting for her check to get an iPad. I had tried to get her into testing so she could see that she wasn't 'stupid' & the testing was not CAT, nor was it under modern guidelines. She refused, because she was afraid to lose her money. She was able-bodied. Not stupid. She just had a different personality/ideas/morés than my Mom or myself.

I don't know where I'm going with this. I go with my son to the VA in Houston twice a year. Thank God for the VA. Vets need so much help. They do so much & receive so little from their country in return. Their food is sub-standard. Their pay is sub-standard. So is the respect they get from many people. I guess I need to corral this rant: the owner was a jerk, no, worse than a jerk. Service dogs have distinct personalities. They are trained to perform a specific & invaluable service. God bless them, Valhalla, open your doors.

And ion the eating out note. While it may be a luxury, I never could as a child, so I adore it. Especially breakfast. And while I do cook involved brunches for hubby, I don't eat them. I'll eat breakfast in a restaurant because cooking makes me nauseated, literally. Except when I'm pregnant. I'm in my mid-60s so there's no chance of that. Or if there is, there's gonna be a dead ob-gyn in NOLA.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/oddnews...aq-war-veteran-and-service-dog-195925395.html

When James Glaser stepped into Big I’s Restaurant in Oxford, Massachusetts with his service dog Jack, he was quickly told to leave in no uncertain terms. Glaser, a 41-year-old Air Force veteran, was diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder in November of 2011 when he retired and says that he does not leave his house without Jack by his side. The veteran explained what happened to WHDH 7 News, “I hear, ‘Get that fake service dog out of my restaurant!.’” Big I’s owner, Russell Ireland didn’t consider the canine a true service dog and said, “This is a post-traumatic stress dog. It's to give him emotional support. How much emotional support do you need when you are eating breakfast?”...

BBM

I had to wait a little while before posting this because I would have lost my ability to post here if I had responded to that bolded part. :stormingmad:

Here's more; http://www.myfoxboston.com/story/23...r-kicks-out-war-vet-service-dog#ixzz2dBQwo893

http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/...eran-and-service-dog-kicked-out-of-restaurant

:stormingmad: Some people are just plain 0-holes and stupid to boot!
I was taken to the post office the otther day, I was mailing a package to a little girl that just underwent a BMT, I went in with Charlotte, which has been ok before. This time the lady comes out and says to me "HE" says she can't be here. I say "she's my workdog, my other passed on"
She goes back to tell him, I hear him grumbling as if there are actually OTHER people there in the first place and I threatened to call the ADA right on the spot. A nice fine for them coming up!
A service dog is well behaved and doesn't "mess" when indoors.
What a mean nasty man he is!:stormingmad: He should be happy my fat mouth wasn't there.

Sorry, I hi-jacked that thread. Thanks for the emus Steely. I feel the same.

hi musical,
for those of us that NEED our service dogs in everyday life, yes, that stupid man can cause intense anger.
Who is he to judge a medical problem? -just sayin....

BBM

The horrible things that we follow here are very depressing and make me very sad. Anger rarely gets through my depression on issues like children being abducted, people being killed and other horrific things. Those things happen a lot and are more mystifying, depressing, and sickening to me most of the time than anger inducing.

This makes me and others, I believe, angry because it's so insensitive and ignorant. The owners insensitive remarks about the service dog and breakfast angers me. That's ignorance plain and simple. It's someone who thinks they know a lot more than they do. JMO

Sorry, I hi-jacked that thread. Thanks for the emus Steely. I feel the same.

Don't be sorry. I'm glad you were able to let it out. I'm so glad you were able to get out of that environment. :hug:

I think there are a couple of problems that lead to things like this. One is that there are a lot of people who do have "fake" service animals; you can get certificates, vests, etc. online without any documentation of a disability. The other is that the animal has to actually perform a task for the person rather than just emotional support. According to the government site:

If the dog is trained to remind him to take medication when his anxiety starts acting up, it would be covered. That site also says that:

So, it would be illegal to refuse service to him if he said it helped him with medication or some other physical problem. Either way, I really think it sucks. I have a son with severe anxiety problems, including catatonic panic attacks, and his disability doesn't qualify him.

http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

ETA: I just read what I wrote and realized that since they revised the rules, calming a person with anxiety/PTSD is covered. Oops!

Your son's anxiety is covered, you might have a hard time finding a place that will train a dog to help him (Because with psychiatric problems you need a lot more of a personal approach to training, unlike seeing eye dogs which really do the same thing with every blind person), but if you train a dog yourself, or maybe buy a certified therapy dog and then train the dog to preform the tasks your son needs, then you got yourself a psychiatric service animal.

Attached is an image of Cujo and his brother Alejandro, Cujo is my psychiatric service animal. What happens during my panic attacks is I convince myself that nothing is actually real, so he will start licking me when I get figity and quiet (Two signs I'm about to have a panic attack) which pulls me out of it because I realize that, yes, the world does exist. He also will start jumping on me at about 11 if he doesn't see me take my pills before then. Anyways, Cujo's the brown one with eyebrows.

I like to sit outside to eat anyways, but one time I was asked to (Because you had to wait inside to get a seat) and it pissed me off a little bit.

What really grinds my gears, though, is people will come up to you and say "Well he's not a service dog, where's his vest?" Yeah, I had to get Cujo a vest online so I wouldn't be questioned (Because getting interrogated can trigger a freak-out, isn't that lovely?)

EDIT: I just realized that you know your son can get a service animal. Forgive me for my schpeal.

Attachments

• Dogs.jpg
    Dogs.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 19
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics