Miley Cyrus - what the heck happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I swear, any topic at all, eventually becomes a race issue with Americans.

How on earth did someone manage to write that twaddle re. Miley and MLK?

Huh?

:lol:
Happens perhaps when the writer's English and writing for an English newspaper.

Perhaps not the proper format but what she had to say about the cultural matter was succinct and welcome.

Happens perhaps when the writer's English and writing for an English newspaper.

Perhaps not the proper format but what she had to say about the cultural matter was succinct and welcome.

O OK.

Next someone will link her performance into the Republican/Democrat horse chit.

:rolleyes:

I think I've put my finger (sorry) on what is so disturbing about it, besides being an apparent homage to pedophila. I didn't see it - I don't have a working TV and if I did I wouldn't be a cable subscriber so wouldn't get MTV. I did see still pictures and it's clear a lot of work went into the staging and costuming (if not the performance which apparently was not good), so several people thought this is what people wanted to see. It shows what our culture has become. Put this together with things you hear in the news such as average IQ points down 10 points in the last 100 years, poor physical health of more than half of people, less than 40% of adults having a full time job, and you see where our culture is headed. I'd much rather be alive during the "classic" period of a culture rather than the "decandent" period. Alas, I was born in 1967 so I came on the scene just a few years after the peak. Fictional character Rhett Butler said there is more money to be made in tearing down a civilization than there is building one up. He implied but didn't say "...if you're willing to do unsavory things which I certainly am!"

well said Vulture.......

Also re Miley being smart and this aiding her career. I actually think it has done the opposite. I bought a new ipod yesterday and was in iTunes for hours last night......the home page has a list of the most popular downloads, Miley was not there. Also someone listed the top 40 charts which has her in it.........however it actually shows that she has gone down in the charts, not up. My prediction is that she will do another clip soon and it will be different...sexy but much more toned down and feminine, and she'll win back some fans.

That is what I think is the problem: yes there are a lot of other artists wearing less in their clips and dancing provactively, however most of them still look feminine and sexy. Her performance was not at all feminine, it was vulgar and crass and unattractive, especially with the tongue sticking out.

Don't listen to the haters Miley.

Keep on with your art.

Haters - Rembrant didn't create a masterpiece in one day. Van Gough threw away plenty of sketches. Practise makes perfect. Are we to judge on one single performance? Really? Would you appreciate your own daughters being subject to such derision?

Fortunately I believe MC has planned and executed the most humungous hijack of publicity EVER. Stupid? No, not when it translates into millions in the bank.

Miley Cyrus could buy and sell all of us and she got that money from the Great American Public. Look to yourselves. They only allowed the performance because they knew everyone in America would watch it.

They weren't wrong.

:cow:

BBM: Not everyone in America watched it. I live here and didn't watch it. I did however, need eye bleach after seeing on the morning news.

Miley Cyrus is disgusting. If one of my daughters acted like that, I'd lock them in the closet until they got some sense. I can't imagine Billy Ray's embarrassment. And trust me, he's plenty embarrassed.

And why are you bringing the Republican/Democrat stuff into the discussion, you don't even live here, so why do you care?

JMO

Well turns out Robin Thicke got snapped at the after party with his hand up a girls skirt .. I guess we all saw something like that coming, but no so soon.

I'm sorry, but Dr Laura calling Miley a "...little miss piece of *****" is downright disgusting. I mean seriously... that is taking things too far.

While I did feel embarrassed for Miley, in that her performance did seem like she was trying too hard to be prove that she was no longer the Miley that Disney made, I am starting to find that the mean stuff being said about her to be unsettling. Sure, I laugh at the parody video about Miley jumping the shark, but that isn't personal... the crap Dr. Laura is spewing: way, way too personal of an attack.

http://radaronline.com/exclusives/2...chlessinger-slams-disgusting-little-pig-rant/

Dr Laura is still even a thing? Or is she using this as her comeback?

I don't understand the comparisons to Lady Gaga. I have seen her twice in concert and while she does a lot of lewd and over-the-top stuff, it's really not on the same level as what MC did on the VMA's. Gaga, IMO, is a true talent. She works her AZZ off in concert and she can sing and dance. She engages with her audience and is grateful to her "little monsters" for their support. Her concerts are highly theatrical and entertaining. I don't believe she needs the shock factor, but I've not been offended watching her.

I understand MC wanting to move on from her Hannah Montana persona. I really do. But there is a right way to do that (Selena Gomez) and a wrong way to do that. I cannot imagine MC's handlers were on-board with that performance. If they were, she needs a whole new team.

I just don't understand what her target audience is. And if you deliberately abandon the fans that put you on the map, what are you really hoping to accomplish?

Hmmm, I wonder if Dr. Laura has ever spewed the same venom for people like Roman Polanski, Sean Penn, Mark Wahlberg, Chris Brown...the rapists and abusers of Hollywood?

I don't get the tongue thing. Plus, she can't even twerk correctly.

Hmmm, I wonder if Dr. Laura has ever spewed the same venom for people like Roman Polanski, Sean Penn, Mark Wahlberg, Chris Brown...the rapists and abusers of Hollywood?

If she doesn't, remember I do!!! :)

So as we as a society continue to "lower-the-bar" so to speak (in the name of "creativity" and personal expression) what can we expect next that will trump the last event by Ms. Mil*y?

Perhaps, some "entertainer" will come onstage (while being viewed on tv by millions) with no clothes on at all while pooping and peeing themselves?

That ought to create shock and awe. :banghead:

Profoundly sad......

So as we as a society continue to "lower-the-bar" so to speak (in the name of "creativity" and personal expression) what can we expect next that will trump the last event by Ms. Mil*y?

Perhaps, some "entertainer" will come onstage (while being viewed on tv by millions) with no clothes on at all while pooping and peeing themselves?

Profoundly sad......

Don't give Miley any ideas!

Profoundly sad......

The rest of the world has the US to thank for -

Hooters
Playboy
Girls Gone Wild
Bang Bus
Courtney Stodden
The War on Terror
The death penalty
A gun for everyone

and on, and on...

I hardly think Miley is going to ruin your international reputation or your (less than) sterling record in Human Rights.

Instead of worrying about sex, who's having it, who wants to have it, who promotes it....why not worry about some real problems such as

War on Drugs
Healthcare for the poor
poverty
education
gang violence
gun proliferation

But that's a bit hard, isn't it? Much rather sit up on the Moral High Ground and critique a sexy VMA performance by a young performer on a tv show you can turn off anyway.

That's VMA, not the Oscars or the Grammys. :banghead:

The rest of the world has the US to thank for -

Hooters
Playboy
Girls Gone Wild
Bang Bus
Courtney Stodden
The War on Terror
The death penalty
A gun for everyone

and on, and on...

I hardly think Miley is going to ruin your international reputation or your (less than) sterling record in Human Rights.

Instead of worrying about sex, who's having it, who wants to have it, who promotes it....why not worry about some real problems such as

War on Drugs
Healthcare for the poor
poverty
education
gang violence
gun proliferation

But that's a bit hard, isn't it? Much rather sit up on the Moral High Ground and critique a sexy VMA performance by a young performer on a tv show you can turn off anyway.

That's VMA, not the Oscars or the Grammys. :banghead:

Wow. Just wow. I don't believe anyone here is worried about the "reputation" of the US. I promise you, Miley Cyrus does not represent me or anyone I know - and certainly not this country.

Sexy? Not by my standards. But, just like anything, that's subjective I suppose.

You've got me to wondering what the moral standards are in Australia.

Some of the comments are just such a hoot! Needing "eye bleach", funny. And in a linked review, the term "chicken butt" used to describe the floppy-looking butt cheeks hanging out of the back of Miley's shorts. And the hilarious "choreography by Gene Simmons of KISS".

Those shorts were AWFUL - just totally not good for this young woman's body type. The choreography was somehow awkward-looking. Don't know if that's because Miley is not a naturally good dancer or what, but even her strutting wasn't smooth.

As for the twerking (and I'm another who was unfamiliar with the term) I agree with some others who said the other girls on stage appeared to do it better. And they are undoubtedly professional dancers and that is why.

Being old(er), I well remember Madonna's "Like a Virgin" performance. And it was a really well-done and professional performance that got a HUGE burst of applause from the audience. Hard to explain, but even though it was kinda raunchy it was not obscene.

I do think that some of the high emotion that has been evoked by Miley's performance has to do with the combination of lack of talent displayed along with what someone pointed out as the "watching the unpopular girl get too drunk at a party and make a fool of herself" syndrome.

I harbor no ill feelings and wish her a long career. What that career will be based on is just not apparent to me.

Hey, that Bruno Mars is way talented! (Ever see his performance on Saturday Night Live? He was fabulous.)

Wow. Just wow. I don't believe anyone here is worried about the "reputation" of the US. I promise you, Miley Cyrus does not represent me or anyone I know - and certainly not this country.

Sexy? Not by my standards. But, just like anything, that's subjective I suppose.

You've got me to wondering what the moral standards are in Australia.

Thanks just wasn't enough for this post Fairy1. My 24 year old daughter was so outraged by what she seen the other morning on the the news, that she won't let her six-year-old daughter watch "Hannah Montana" anymore. Now, if Miley Cyrus offends my daughter that much, I know that people my age and older must be really offended.

What Miley did wasn't in the least bit sexy, it was vulgar and just plain disgusting.

JMO

PS: I still need someone to pass me the eye bleach! Usually Woofie does that, but he must be asleep on his job! LOL

I think that any of us with a few years on us have seen the potential effects of being a child star.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aishavn