Iowa granting gun permits to the blind

Softail

Reaction score
Seriously? :waitasec:

Iowa granting gun permits to the blind

No one could see this coming.

Iowa is giving people who are blind permits that will allow them to purchase guns or to carry firearms in public, the Des Moines Register reports.

The permits are legal, as Iowa law does not deny anyone the right to carry a weapon based on physical disability.

But, the paper reports, the dilemma comes for law enforcement officials who are trying to ensure public safety.

Advocates for the disabled are split over the decision.

Some insist blind people can be taught to use guns, and blocking any visually impaired person from obtaining a weapons permit would violate the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/09/08/iowa-granting-gun-permits-to-blind/#ixzz2eK9R6emk

I just think it is a horrible idea. It is bad enough with seeing people and guns. But the blind? :waitasec: Here is another article in USA Today, It appears both Fox and USA Today picked up the story from the Des Moines Register:

Des Moines Register: http://www.desmoinesregister.com/ar...s-in-public?Frontpage&gcheck=1&nclick_check=1

Iowa grants gun permits to the blind

Jason Clayworth, The Des Moines Register 1 a.m. EDT September 8, 2013

No one questions the legality of the permits, but some officials worry about public safety.

DES MOINES, Iowa -- Here's some news that has law enforcement officials and lawmakers scratching their heads:

Iowa is granting permits to acquire or carry guns in public to people who are legally or completely blind.

No one questions the legality of the permits. State law does not allow sheriffs to deny an Iowan the right to carry a weapon based on physical ability.

The quandary centers squarely on public safety. Advocates for the disabled and Iowa law enforcement officers disagree over whether it's a good idea for visually disabled Iowans to have weapons.

On one side: People such as Cedar County Sheriff Warren Wethington, who demonstrated for The Des Moines Register how blind people can be taught to shoot guns. And Jane Hudson, executive director of Disability Rights Iowa, who says blocking visually impaired people from the right to obtain weapon permits would violate the Americans with Disabilities Act. That federal law generally prohibits different treatment based on disabilities

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/09/08/iowa-grants-gun-permits-to-the-blind/2780303/

I don't doubt blind people can be taught to shoot guns. Who are they going to shoot these guns at? Considering they are blind.

I suppose they might use their other senses to detect where an intruder is if breaking into their home or if being robbed while out on the street alone. There seems like lots that could go wrong though.

There was an article about a blind gunowner in some thread here and he said that if there is ever an intruder in his house he plans to empty his gun shooting in several directions and he figured that if there were enough bullets one of them would be bound to hit the intruder. (But no guarantees there that the other one's don't go through a window and hit an innocent passer-by somewhere in the vicinity.)

What's next? Drivers licenses for the blind?

Iowa is granting permits to acquire or carry guns in public to people who are legally or completely blind.

Well there is a HUGE difference between "legally blind" and completely blind. A legally blind person may not see well enough to drive but most could certainly see well enough to shoot an intruder inside their home or shoot someone that was attacking them on the street.

This thread came up on a gun forum and some were comparing it to letting the blind drive a truck or fly a plane. Another poster pointed out driving and flying were "privileges" however gun ownership in many states is a RIGHT unless the the individuals past bars them from possessing firearms.

There was an article about a blind gunowner in some thread here and he said that if there is ever an intruder in his house he plans to empty his gun shooting in several directions and he figured that if there were enough bullets one of them would be bound to hit the intruder. (But no guarantees there that the other one's don't go through a window and hit an innocent passer-by somewhere in the vicinity.)

While he shoots at different directions, innocent bystanders could end up getting killed.

Well there is a HUGE difference between "legally blind" and completely blind. A legally blind person may not see well enough to drive but most could certainly see well enough to shoot an intruder inside their home or shoot someone that was attacking them on the street.

This thread came up on a gun forum and some were comparing it to letting the blind drive a truck or fly a plane. Another poster pointed out driving and flying were "privileges" however gun ownership in many states is a RIGHT unless the the individuals past bars them from possessing firearms.

I am sorry, but it doesn't appear that anybody checks their vision at all. So completely blind person can apply and get a gun.

I am sorry, but it doesn't appear that anybody checks their vision at all. So completely blind person can apply and get a gun.

Well they can't give IQ tests either, honestly I am not worried that much about the rare completely blind person shooting others.

Well, you know if they didn't do this, someone would cry, "visual-impairment-discrimination."

Could a person be legally blind but see all right with glass. Like my husband sitter is legally deaf but she hears ok with hearing aids

Well, it'd be a lot harder for them to hit a target, so it's probably safer in their hands than in some other jackwagons who are toting.

I'm just trying to make light of a tense subject. Not taking jabs at the blind.

Well, you know if they didn't do this, someone would cry, "visual-impairment-discrimination."

Yeah, you are probably right. Dudes with obvious anger issues aren't denied guns, so you can't exclude the blind. :rockon:

Yeah, you are probably right. Dudes with obvious anger issues aren't denied guns, so you can't exclude the blind. :rockon:

I appreciate your humor :D I was attempting to be humorous, too. :blush:

I find this so bizarre, I posted the same thread in the Bizarre News. Too bad it's true...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back