Scathing obituary reveals lives of abuse, neglect

Softail

Reaction score
:eek:

Daughter, son didn't expect mother's obit to go viral

It did what obituaries don’t do.

Instead of a celebration of a life found in newspapers every day, the obituary for Marianne Theresa Johnson-Reddick was scathing. The daughter who submitted it held back nothing in the nine-sentence obit that ran Tuesday without a photo: “She is survived by six of her eight children whom she spent her lifetime torturing in every way possible ...”

“On behalf of her children who she so abrasively exposed to her evil and violent life, we celebrate her passing from this earth and hope she lives in the after-life reliving each gesture of violence, cruelty and shame that she delivered on her children.”

http://www.rgj.com/article/20130911/NEWS/309110104/Scathing-obituary-reveals-lives-abuse-neglect

:eek:

Daughter, son didn't expect mother's obit to go viral

It did what obituaries don’t do.

Instead of a celebration of a life found in newspapers every day, the obituary for Marianne Theresa Johnson-Reddick was scathing. The daughter who submitted it held back nothing in the nine-sentence obit that ran Tuesday without a photo: “She is survived by six of her eight children whom she spent her lifetime torturing in every way possible ...”

“On behalf of her children who she so abrasively exposed to her evil and violent life, we celebrate her passing from this earth and hope she lives in the after-life reliving each gesture of violence, cruelty and shame that she delivered on her children.”

http://www.rgj.com/article/20130911/NEWS/309110104/Scathing-obituary-reveals-lives-abuse-neglect

It's certainly heartbreaking reading the lives her children were for Ed to live. I hope the obit brings at least a few of them some small measure of closure and healing now that their monster is dead.

Those poor kids..

Some people should not ever have children.

I bet they felt a burden fall away on writing their truth like that.

Interesting, the family member who commented below the article. This obituary, IMHO, seems to be written by someone with mental health issues.

I had a disinterested, abusive mother and I would never, ever write something like that about her.

The time to confront people is when they're alive, not when they're dead and cannot defend themselves.

The fact that these adult children did this at all shows more about them than it does their mother, I'm afraid.

I had a disinterested, abusive mother and I would never, ever write something like that about her.

The time to confront people is when they're alive, not when they're dead and cannot defend themselves.

The fact that these adult children did this at all shows more about them than it does their mother, I'm afraid.

Only two of the adult children wrote this - the other 4 who are still living are apparently estranged and couldn't be contacted by the two who wrote it.

Turning this family around to healthy individuals will probably take many generations, and the abuse/coping difficulties probably run up the line generations past.

wow, I might have written something like that, especially if I never felt safe or heard by my mother.

I may not have published it, lol, but I sure as heck may have written it. Thankfully I have the most awesome mother I could ever have for me. Sad that others have unhealthy relationships with the very people who brought them into this world.

I think when it happens to you, You get to deal with it however you need to. I think that they probably felt finally free to say it. To say it out loud.

People get to live and proclaim their own truth.

I think when it happens to you, You get to deal with it however you need to. I think that they probably felt finally free to say it. To say it out loud.

People get to live and proclaim their own truth.

Not when it hurts others, they don't.
'
In this case its very clear that the other family members are devastated by this.

They didn't get to proclaim their own truth, unless of course they print a rebuttal obituary.

Also, this woman had decades to report these alleged crimes to the police but apparently chose to wait until her mother was deceased.

I've had too many people say false things about me this year, to just accept these accusations without a hearty dose of scepticism.

I just think it is sad. Sad that they had to say it in her obit, sad they had to live it (if they in fact did), sad all around.

'
In this case its very clear that the other family members are devastated by this.

They didn't get to proclaim their own truth, unless of course they print a rebuttal obituary.

Also, this woman had decades to report these alleged crimes to the police but apparently chose to wait until her mother was deceased.

I've had too many people say false things about me this year, to just accept these accusations without a hearty dose of scepticism.

She was hideous to them. This was at a time when kids were treated like chattle and just thrown out.. They have a right to speak what they want. It is their choice. None of us know what it was like for them.

UM, People accuse people all the time without proof in certain places...

But this is two people speaking their truth, Hopefully it will give them closure.

She was hideous to them. This was at a time when kids were treated like chattle and just thrown out.. They have a right to speak what they want. It is their choice. None of us know what it was like for them.

UM, People accuse people all the time without proof in certain places...

But this is two people speaking their truth, Hopefully it will give them closure.

ALLEGEDLY. :banghead:

Pretty sure that if then they were thrown in and out of foster homes there is a record of it. No one writes an Obit like that without cause.

I have never ever seen it before. Whatever it is, AS much as I think I would not do that, I don't know. I can not imagine what is like to live with a horrid mother. So all I can do is hope this helps her in some way.

'

Why should they be concerned with protecting the feelings of family members who obviously did nothing to protect them as helpless children? Frankly, I think the suggestion that a victim of abuse should choose silence to protect someone else's feelings is kind of offensive. I hate to use language that strong but I really think you may want to think about what it implies to say that.

ALLEGEDLY. :banghead:

It is hard for me to imagine they would testify before the state legislature about child abuse (long before the death of their mother and this obit) as part of some elaborate ruse to, years later, write a viral obituary.

It is hard for me to imagine they would testify before the state legislature about child abuse (long before the death of their mother and this obit) as part of some elaborate ruse to, years later, write a viral obituary.

Yeah it's hard for me to imagine parents raping or killing their babies too, but guess what, just because I can't imagine it, doesn't make it so.

Yeah it's hard for me to imagine parents raping or killing their babies too, but guess what, just because I can't imagine it, doesn't make it so.

That is a big statement there.. ;)

You are right but this is not about that. This is people telling their personal life long struggle. IT does not read as she was a witch, It reads as though they are writing it through pain. Even now.. Pain..

I believe them. Sounds like life was hard and they needed to bury the pain with her.

Why should they be concerned with protecting the feelings of family members who obviously did nothing to protect them as helpless children?
Frankly, I think the suggestion that a victim of abuse should choose silence to protect someone else's feelings is kind of offensive. I hate to use language that strong but I really think you may want to think about what it implies to say that.

Some of those family members weren't even born at the time so its kind of hard to blame them for what happened.

They feel abused now, by that horrible viral obit.

Two wrongs have never made a right.

No, it doesn't but there are things that can lend credulity to a claim or undermine it. This is something that supports the credulity of their claim.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back