GUILTY KY - Three people slain in Danville pawn shop robbery, 20 Sept 2013

Reader

Reaction score
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/09/20/shooting-near-centre-college/2842427/

DANVILLE, Ky. — Three people are dead and most of a central Kentucky town was on lockdown for two hours Friday after an apparent robbery at a pawn shop here.

The shooter remains on the loose, but Danville Police Chief Tony Gray said authorities lifted the lockdown because no other shootings had occurred, leading them to believe no other people were in danger.

Two men and a woman, one of them a customer, died inside ABC Gold Games & More pawn shop, Gray said.

Two children, a 9-year-old and 20-month-old, were inside the store when the shooting occurred, he said. The older child called 911 at around 9:15 a.m. ET.........

UPDATED 5:45 p.m. : Coroner identifies two victims in Danville triple homicide; no arrests made
Also has video from PC Gray.

http://www.centralkynews.com/amnews...in-pawn-shop-murders-20130920,0,3249705.story

Danville police are searching for information on an armed robbery at a Danville pawn shop Friday morning that resulted in the deaths of three people.

Boyle County Coroner Dr. Don Hamner confirmed two of the people killed were pawn shop owners Mike Hockensmith, 35, and his wife, Angela Hockensmith, 38, of of Stanford.

Danville Police Chief Tony Gray identified the third victim as Daniel P. Smith,
60, of Richmond........

Gray said witnesses described the man as "heavy-set" and having a "pot belly."

According to Danville Police Chief Tony Gray, authorities are searching for a white male, about 40-50 years old and wearing a green camouflage jacket. Gray explained that the previous description may have been a homeless person or someone else unrelated to the crime.

"He exited through the garage door of the business there," he said, referring to the shop. "He went through the alleyway of the dry-cleaning and the pawn shop.".......

The suspect was last seen traveling north on a bicycle toward the Kentucky School for the Deaf campus.......

Police did not appear to be tracking any significant leads at 2 p.m. Elliott speculated the suspect was either in hiding or had escaped the area before police closed in and blanketed the area surrounding the scene.

“We were on this one pretty quick,” the sheriff said.

Anybody with information on the case may contact Danville Police Department at (859) 238-1224.

Reports of other shootings and suspicious persons on bicycles were unfounded so far....the 2 children are with their grandparents, no info on where the foreign exchange student is staying....How could somebody on a bike disappear so quickly?

"He exited through the garage door of the business there," he said, referring to the shop. "He went through the alleyway of the dry-cleaning and the pawn shop.".......

Sounds like someone who was familiar with the area. IMO

The suspect was last seen traveling north on a bicycle toward the Kentucky School for the Deaf campus.......

Reports of other shootings and suspicious persons on bicycles were unfounded so far....the 2 children are with their grandparents, no info on where the foreign exchange student is staying....How could somebody on a bike disappear so quickly?

Maybe someone who lived close by and hid the bike around back of where he lived? Donno...

The victims and their children and exchange student
<mod snip>

From article above:

Gray said the two children are safe. Steve Divine, the owner of the property and the co-owner of the business, confirmed the children have been placed with their grandparents in Somerset. The Hockensmiths also had a foreign exchange student living with them. The girl is from Taiwan and attends Lincoln County High School.

According to Divine, the young boy carried his sister to the office and covered her. "He's my hero," he said.

http://articles.centralkynews.com/2013-09-20/amnews/42258936_1_pawn-shop-two-children-hamner

Sounds like someone who was familiar with the area. IMO

Maybe someone who lived close by and hid the bike around back of where he lived? Donno...

I wonder if there were a dumpster or something in the alley? Dive in and wait till after LE left maybe? Or hide in the back of another business if others opened onto the alley?

Maybe somebody with a truck picked him up...throw the bike in the back and take off.

The town this happened in is essentially my hometown... I live about 30 minutes away. Everything about this case is weird to me. LE changed the suspect description completely within 12 hours of the shooting - original description was a man in his 20s, scruffy beard and black jacket, new description is a man in his 40s/50s, heavyset, with an army jacket on. That's a pretty big discrepancy. The only thing I can think might explain it is the 9 year old was the only witness and was traumatized?

Other things I find strange - front door was locked, nothing was stolen, and I've also heard that the victims were possibly shot execution-style (NOT CONFIRMED).

ATF is also involved, and I have never heard of them being involved in any other investigation in the area. Is that normal? From the report on the local news last night it sounds like they're directing the investigation. The whole thing just gives me a weird vibe.

@TravelingBug - the pawn shop is located in a 3 or 4 mile long v-shaped area with a northbound one way road on one side and a southbound one way road on the other. The area in the middle is probably about a mile wide at most, but there are plenty of places to hide.

UPDATED 7 a.m. : ATF offering reward for information in triple murder at Danville business

http://www.centralkynews.com/amnews...wn-shop-murders-20130920,0,6304413,full.story

The ATF is offering a $10,000 reward for information that leads to the arrest and conviction on the triple murder, which allegedly began as an armed robbery, at a Danville pawn shop Friday morning, according to Danville Police Chief Tony Gray. ...........

The town this happened in is essentially my hometown... I live about 30 minutes away. Everything about this case is weird to me. LE changed the suspect description completely within 12 hours of the shooting - original description was a man in his 20s, scruffy beard and black jacket, new description is a man in his 40s/50s, heavyset, with an army jacket on. That's a pretty big discrepancy. The only thing I can think might explain it is the 9 year old was the only witness and was traumatized?

Other things I find strange - front door was locked, nothing was stolen, and I've also heard that the victims were possibly shot execution-style (NOT CONFIRMED).

ATF is also involved, and I have never heard of them being involved in any other investigation in the area. Is that normal? From the report on the local news last night it sounds like they're directing the investigation. The whole thing just gives me a weird vibe.

@TravelingBug - the pawn shop is located in a 3 or 4 mile long v-shaped area with a northbound one way road on one side and a southbound one way road on the other. The area in the middle is probably about a mile wide at most, but there are plenty of places to hide.

Thanks, sarahgrace, for your local info and descriptions!

BBM - I've been looking for what was stolen if anything and have not seen it stated in the news as yet. The LE is probably holding that info back but very interesting if nothing was taken. So what was the purpose of these 3 murders? This family certainly does not seem to be one that would be targeted to be killed for some reason.

From your link Reader (and thanks for posting):

"According to Divine, the young boy carried his sister to the office and covered her. "He's my hero," he said."

This just makes me want to cry....

Suspect in triple homicide at Danville business eludes capture

http://www.centralkynews.com/amnews...iness-eludes-capture-20130921,0,1163624.story

A gunman who killed three people Friday at a Danville business remained at large Saturday, and police said they had no surveillance photos of the suspect.........

Boyle County Coroner Dr. Don Hamner confirmed the deaths were the result of gunshot wounds. ......

Divine believes Smith may have been the primary target of the robbery, as he was thought to carry large sums of money.

Smith traveled around the area, and beyond, Divine said, buying and selling gold. Divine said Smith stopped at the Danville store the same time every Friday...........

“We do know Mr. Smith had a routine; however, those things take time. We are working on a timeline for him,” Gray said.

“Because he’s from Richmond, it’s bigger,” Gray said. “The suspect could be from Richmond. He could be from Danville. We don’t know.”

The suspect was seen by witnesses hanging around the building prior to the shooting, and later after the shooting had taken place.........???

It is unclear what was taken during the robbery.........

An exchange student from Taiwan also was living with the family, and Divine believes she is now with representatives from the organization that placed her.

Gray said police will “continue to talk to witnesses, see if we can get more, see if they can remember more. We continue to look for video surveillance. We still have avenues, still hope to get tips,” Gray explained.

“We are emphasizing if anybody saw anything to call us. There might be more out there that saw something and don’t realize it.”......

I really hope that's misinformation, Reader! You would think if they had multiple eyewitnesses there would be a better description (possibly a composite photo??).

http://www.kentucky.com/2013/09/21/2834583/atf-offering-reward-in-pawn-shop.html

"Gray explained that the previous description of a young, scruffy-looking man wearing a black hoodie may have been a homeless person or someone else unrelated to the crime."

That was the description given up until Friday night, so it's entirely possible that a lot of people could have seen the actual suspect and thought he was another customer. I'd almost bet he is a local - the area this happened in is a bit seedy, a couple of years ago a woman bit (yes, bit) a man at a gas station and LE eventually discovered that she was HIV positive... The fact that the article I linked claims he escaped through the garage of the pawn shop and out the back alley (not a true downtown type alley from what I have seen, but more of a typical "back of building near busy road" area) makes me think local as well (just knowing the lay of the land).

A lot of people around here are looking at the case with a suspicious eye. Some of the things I've heard have me on edge, but obviously you can't believe everything you hear. For anyone wanting to sludge through some ignorance to read locals discussing the case, the website Topix has a forum for Danville where there's a thread of over 100 posts. I'm not sure if that's something I can mention since it's not confirmed information - if not, I'm sorry! :(

Actually this is where I live and I don't consider that area "seedy" at all. There are multiple businesses and not far away are medical office buildings and the hospital. I do business with the dry cleaners. A couple of miles or so away might be considered seedy. But, to me, not this area. Danville is actually a very nice little town with lots of things going for it, including a noted theater. Downtown has some nice restaurants, a nice library and some nice places to live and includes Centre College, one of the most renowned in the US. I did call in a tip based on the original description but now that it has been changed...oh, well.

Police: suspect in Danville murders driving silver or gray van

http://www.wdrb.com/story/23508293/police-suspect-in-danville-murders-driving-silver-or-gray-van

DANVILLE, Ky. (WDRB)--Police in Danville, Kentucky believe they know more about the suspect in a triple murder at a local jewelry store.

Detectives are now saying the suspect who shot three people inside ABC Gold, Games and More left the scene in a van.

Chief Tony Gray also says, "The suspect is armed and dangerous.".......

"We still believe he is a white male, 40 to 50 years old, we think he has a dirty gray, dingy beard possibly yellow," says Chief Gray. "Over the weekend and through the day, we have been interviewing witnesses...........

Chief Gray says, "About the only thing we know about this vehicle or suspected vehicle is that it is a gray or silver van. We believe the van may have been parked in the ally that leads to the drive through of Rainbow Cleaners.".........

"Money that we believe that Mr. Smith should have had on his person or in his possession has not been found so we are assuming that it was stolen in the incident," Gray says.

The couple's 9 year old child was inside the store along with their 18 month old...and made the 911 call. Police believe he also may have seen the suspect..........

Services for the victims are being held today, Tues.

On June of this year my cousin was hit and killed in Danville, KY. Her murderer has not been arrested yet, the case goes to the grand jury tomorrow. I dislike Danville, Ky immensely. Of course thats my opinion. RIP Anne Moore Duncan

I feel he was a disgruntled customer and they may have him in their receipts. Maybe a pawn offer went bad; or something's up with this. He knew the lay out of that shop.

I feel most awful about the two kids in this case omg!!

http://www.centralkynews.com/amnews...iness-eludes-capture-20130921,0,1163624.story

It was reported the target was most likely Mr Smith who was a gold-buyer. He made a "pick-up" there every Friday morning. It's largely a cash business & buyers are known to carry 20 TO 50 thousand dollars. The shooting/robbery was soon after the store opened, so it may have been Smith's 1st stop of the day. It seems like a very dangerous job.

I think anyone who knew Smith, could be a suspect. He could have even been observed in another store, then studied as to routine. And it does make sense that the shooter would have cased the joint prior to that morning.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rainydaze17
Back