TN TN - Karen Swift, 44, Dyersburg, 30 Oct 2011 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM

Personally, I think it's a huge mistake for couples in the midst of divorce to continue living together. It's a known fact that the most dangerous time for a woman is when she is trying to leave a marriage because of control, or abuse, issues.

It's not clear that there was abuse, but I do think that there were control issues. That is, Karen was attempting to leave a marriage with her two daughters, leaving the husband with all the stuff that he thought made for a happy marriage. She was willing to give up her comfortable country-living lifestyle to earn money by cleaning abandoned houses, downsize to apartment living with her two daughters, and start a new life from scratch. That speaks volumes.

The courts in TN should recognize that even though abuse and control issues may not be spelled out in divorce documents, they are often there - just beneath the surface. It really doesn't take a genius to understand that if a marriage is falling apart, there are some serious problems between the two parties. TN laws should be modified to better financially protect women that have filed for divorce. The cases should be heard within 2 days of the papers being filed, and financial support should be immediately granted to the party that has been dependent throughout the marriage and who is leaving the marriage. If the courts want to take their time to more carefully review the documents (like a month or two), the orders can be modified at that time.

link for "most dangerous time" during divorce:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/104990050...life…Find-the-best-lawyer…Manage-your-emotion

I was married to an emotional abuser, who got worse after he found a girlfriend. I could not bear the thought of moving in with my mother, who thought anybody getting a divorce was going to hell. I had 3 children to take care of. So I stayed there sleeping on the sofa for 6 months. Now I don't even know how I stayed one day. But when he was having a screamfest in the driveway at my son, I saw myself (in my mind), run over him with my car and reverse it to hit him again, I knew I had to go. I packed up while he was at work and went to mom's to hear her rants. I was not going to jail over an idiot, nor leave my children with no mother. So I know firsthand how nasty it can be behind closed doors. My co-workers never had a clue that I was close to a breakdown. I agree with you 100%.

Maybe I have tunnel vision, but how would her car end up right back near her house? I would think that would not be something that would enter a random killers mind. Maybe if someone would tell me what they think could have happened, I could see another side of this mystery. I have read so much on this case and I always come back to her car being so close to her home. Even with excluding a family member, I can only see someone who was very familiar with Karen.

This ^^^^^has never seemed that out of place for me in the grand scheme of all this....I have been out to the area about 3 times....granted I need to go back again before I start posting here again I guess.....so much of this case I have just pushed to the back of my mind figuring it is pointless until some clues are given or an arrest is made....to me it seems it could have been that she was leaving again after returning home from the party or maybe that was actually stated, I can't remember......my thinking is she met someone there and left her car or something happened and she got out of her car and someone came along and either was going to help her or hurt her. Either way they hurt her for sure. So much happened in the first few days of this and there are still some things that have never come out....now whether they were important things to this case or things were just 'moved around' to prevent speculation.......we may never know....but when and if the suspect or suspects are arrested (and I believe they will be) things will become a whole lot clearer. I feel so bad for this family....these four children...and for her husband as well if he is innocent in all this.....and in my mind he is innocent....even though I know nothing....I cannot let my mind go there that he did this. So I wait along with everyone else who would love to see justice served.

Bumping for Karen

I'd have to say that since Sheriff Box publicly stated that there was only one person of interest (paraphrased) and a new search was recently conducted at the Swift family home, it follows that the poi may very possibly be the husband. But who knows...?

It is maddening that the case is moving at a snail's pace but, hopefully, Justice for Karen will ultimately prevail!

IMOO

Bumping for Karen

I'd have to say that since Sheriff Box publicly stated that there was only one person of interest (paraphrased) and a new search was recently conducted at the Swift family home, it follows that the poi may very possibly be the husband. But who knows...?

It is maddening that the case is moving at a snail's pace but, hopefully, Justice for Karen will ultimately prevail!

IMOO

Yes, Some1Nose, this at least the fourth search of the Swift home and property. It is obvious, imo, that DS is in the prosecutor/investigator's sights, imo.
In the Holly Bobo abduction, investigators also zeroed in on a primary suspect/s and then attempted to gather evidence to fit the suspect, imo. Here we are 30 months and three more 09/11/2001 anniversaries later, without answers....The preacher at the Parsons Easter prayer service compared HB's abduction to the tragedy of 09/11/2001 for the TN community...
The Karen Swift investigation is another tragic example of this perceived hypothesis investigative strategy, imo...I'm sure her tragic murder was also analogous to 09/11/2001 for her family and community...

Where were you When the World Stopped Turning?
When the World Stopped Turning: A 9/11 tribute - YouTube

This was posted on Facebook tonight...thought it was kind of ironic and maybe it's not:

In Loving Memory of Karen Swift
3 hours ago via mobile
I know I haven't posted here I'm awhile, but I just wanted to drop in and continue to thank you all for the continued support for Karen's family. We are still anxiously awaiting for justice in Karen's case. Continued prayers!

There are plenty of murders that don't leave blood, and it's hard to tell where they died. I never thought there would be signs of blood at Karen's house, even if it happened there. But I did think there would be evidence in and around her car, that would give LE some clue. It's hard for me to believe anybody can pull off the perfect murder.

There are plenty of murders that don't leave blood, and it's hard to tell where they died. I never thought there would be signs of blood at Karen's house, even if it happened there. But I did think there would be evidence in and around her car, that would give LE some clue. It's hard for me to believe anybody can pull off the perfect murder.

BBM - sadly, seems so many of the cases I follow are just that :(
Holly Bobo, Maura Murray, Lauren Spierer, Kelli Bordeaux, Paul DeWolf, ...

BBM

Personally, I think it's a huge mistake for couples in the midst of divorce to continue living together. It's a known fact that the most dangerous time for a woman is when she is trying to leave a marriage because of control, or abuse, issues.

It's not clear that there was abuse, but I do think that there were control issues. That is, Karen was attempting to leave a marriage with her two daughters, leaving the husband with all the stuff that he thought made for a happy marriage. She was willing to give up her comfortable country-living lifestyle to earn money by cleaning abandoned houses, downsize to apartment living with her two daughters, and start a new life from scratch. That speaks volumes.

The courts in TN should recognize that even though abuse and control issues may not be spelled out in divorce documents, they are often there - just beneath the surface. It really doesn't take a genius to understand that if a marriage is falling apart, there are some serious problems between the two parties. TN laws should be modified to better financially protect women that have filed for divorce. The cases should be heard within 2 days of the papers being filed, and financial support should be immediately granted to the party that has been dependent throughout the marriage and who is leaving the marriage. If the courts want to take their time to more carefully review the documents (like a month or two), the orders can be modified at that time.

link for "most dangerous time" during divorce:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/104990050...life…Find-the-best-lawyer…Manage-your-emotion

When I saw this thread on WS, you post ^^ immediately came to mind

"A mother of three and nutritionist from Greenwich who was attacked by her husband with a baseball bat -- six days after petitioning the court for separation -- is clinging to life with multiple skull fractures and swelling of the brain at an undisclosed hospital in the area, Greenwich Time has learned."
CT - Husband beats wife of 33 years into a coma - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Coming up on the two year anniversary of the unsolved homicide of Karen Swift and the one year anniversary of this ms media article:

Karen Swift murder investigation nearing completion
Posted: Nov 01, 2012 10:50 PM EDT
Updated: Nov 02, 2012 6:52 AM EDT
By Janice Broach

http://www.wmctv.com/story/19981778/karen-swift-murder-investigation-nearing-completion

DYER COUNTY, TN - (WMC-TV) – Dyer County investigators say the investigation into the murder of Dyer County mom Karen Swift is getting close to being complete. Sheriff Jeff Box said even though it has been a year since Swift was murdered, investigators are moving toward an arrest or indictment.

They plan to go to Nashville next week to pick up evidence the TBI just finished processing. Box says there are no witnesses to Swift's murder so investigators have to rely on evidence.

As the investigation is winding down nerves appear to be frayed among her loved ones and friends.

from above ^^
Box says there are no witnesses to Swift's murder so investigators have to rely on evidence.

So the evidence mustn't be there; at least as far as a prosecutor might be concerned IMO. Maybe even now as far as the sheriff himself is concerned, since no one is saying anything...

We've seen this before, in other cases where detectives think they have enough, but the prosecutor doesn't - and the case sits in limbo.... sometimes that's a good thing, especially if tunnel vision was involved in focusing only on one person...

Maybe the sheriff never had a case even close to this magitude, and spoke out before he knew the results of the lab work. The lab results took a loooooong time, and he kept saying they were almost done. Then when they gathered everything, it was not enough. Just rambling on here, but there has to be a darn good reason for this nonsense.

Maybe the sheriff never had a case even close to this magitude, and spoke out before he knew the results of the lab work. The lab results took a loooooong time, and he kept saying they were almost done. Then when they gathered everything, it was not enough. Just rambling on here, but there has to be a darn good reason for this nonsense.

Good point! I was was thinking some of the talk may have been an attempt to get someone to suddenly flee the area or do something that might be incriminating... but it didn't work..

I think with the recent search done on Karen and David's home in July there is something in the works and the case has not gone cold. Hopefully charges will be filed soon.

To bad we couldn't see the probable cause statement for the search warrant to know exactly what they were looking for or expecting to find. Regardless a judge signed the warrant so there had to be some weight to what LE was thinking they would find.

JMO

I think with the recent search done on Karen and David's home in July there is something in the works and the case has not gone cold. Hopefully charges will be filed soon.

To bad we couldn't see the probable cause statement for the search warrant to know exactly what they were looking for or expecting to find. Regardless a judge signed the warrant so there had to be some weight to what LE was thinking they would find.

JMO

Hopefully, Joe Friday, but after almost two years, it doesn't look good, imo...
Imo, there was a secret grand jury that failed to indict..
As far as a TN Judge signing a warrant.. I wouldn't put too much weight into that. jmo..

Jmo, I'm beginning to wonder if the 'good ole boy' network is alive and thriving in that county. Karen was going to divorce her husband, again & break up the family again, could the ole boys be taking a 'what's done is done' attitude or worse yet, 'she had it comin' to her'? The children have lost their mother, they need their daddy, warped reasoning?

This is not my attitude at all. I've just seen too many cases in the south, in my area too, that men on grand juries, in LE and DA offices have their own codes.

If Karen was family to me, I would be shaking trees all the way up and wouldn't stop.

Just venting...

Justice for Karen! What's the hold up? This is beyond ridiculous!!!!! IF this is the "good ole boy" network - warning, that only works for so long, and you will be found out because that crap doesn't fly anymore, small town or not, people are sick of it, you are NOT protected, you can think you are but there are others watching you who aren't a party to the "good ole boy" network and you will go down - sooner, rather than later, take heed, and make the right decision!!!

"Past Time for a TBI Leadership & Antiquated Investigative Strategy of Silence, change, imo"..

http://www.tennessean.com/article/2...I-stats-say-Tennessee-most-dangerous-state-US

'FBI stats say Tennessee is most dangerous state in US'

These are the most dangerous states in America:
1. Tennessee

> Violent crimes per 100,000: 643.6

> Poverty rate: 17.9%

> Pct. of population with bachelor's degree or higher: 24.3%

> Property crimes per 100,000: 3,371.4 (10th highest)

Tennessee has the dubious distinction of having the worst violent crime rate in the country. The state was among the top 10 in the country for murders and robberies and was first for aggravated assaults, with an estimated 479.6 for every 100,000 residents. Tennessee's 41,550 violent crimes in 2012 were up 6.8% from 2011 but down 10% from 2007, when there were 46,380 violent crimes. There were 388 murders in the state in 2012, up for a second straight year.
<read more>

"Past Time for a TBI Leadership & Antiquated Investigative Strategy of Silence, change, imo"..

http://www.tennessean.com/article/2...I-stats-say-Tennessee-most-dangerous-state-US

'FBI stats say Tennessee is most dangerous state in US'

These are the most dangerous states in America:
1. Tennessee

> Violent crimes per 100,000: 643.6

> Poverty rate: 17.9%

> Pct. of population with bachelor's degree or higher: 24.3%

> Property crimes per 100,000: 3,371.4 (10th highest)

Tennessee has the dubious distinction of having the worst violent crime rate in the country. The state was among the top 10 in the country for murders and robberies and was first for aggravated assaults, with an estimated 479.6 for every 100,000 residents. Tennessee's 41,550 violent crimes in 2012 were up 6.8% from 2011 but down 10% from 2007, when there were 46,380 violent crimes. There were 388 murders in the state in 2012, up for a second straight year.
<read more>
We saw how quick the Boston Bombers were identified and caught when their business was plastered all over the news. I know we have no cameras on Karen's murder, but the tiptoeing around has done nothing. Misty Johnson missing in SC is another example. She's been missing for a long time, yet LE won't speak of it. Holly Bobo's case was handled by the TBI and we all know how that turned out. When all else fails, change your tactics.

Two years later; There are many reason's (four searches of the Swift home)to believe that David Swift, is the #1 POI, but, imo it is unlikely that he is Karen Swift's murderer based on the known facts in this case.

Seems obvious that due to the lack of evidence, the prosecutor has refused to present the case to a grand jury, or it was presented to a secret grand jury and failed to receive a true bill of indictment. The local spoon fed ms media would not have reported on this, imo.

http://www.stategazette.com/story/1792485.htm...

Women who knew Swift rule out possibility that she ran off on her own..

Hopper says this is when the two began to exchange text messages about Swift's new job as an aerobics instructor and the cleaning job.
* Thursday, Oct. 27, 2011
Swift - "OMG! I am loving Silver Sneakers."
Hopper - "Aren't they sweet?"
Swift - "Love them!"
Swift - "Did you go by the house?"
Hopper - "Yes it already looks better."
* Friday, Oct. 28
Swift - "OK I am about to set (bug)bombs off & lock up, been here since 7:30! I will have to come back. Got bathrooms to do. Mop also stove and fridge. Is Wednesday soon enough? I can tomorrow if you need me to. I work Monday and have a landscape job Tuesday."
* Saturday, Oct. 29, 2 p.m.
Hopper - "Don't worry about the fridge and stove. Wednesday is fine. Great thanks! I will pay you as soon as possible."
Swift - "Hey, if I don't have to do fridge & stove. I will finish it early in the morning."
The last text Swift sent Hopper was referring to cleaning the house on Sunday morning (Oct. 30), the day she was reported missing.
Hopper found out Swift was missing after Swift's best friend, C. Bona, texted her and said they were looking for her.

"I thought she was probably at the Trimble house," said Hopper.
<Read More>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members