Hundreds NC Students Suspended for Vaccination Lapse

Reader

Reaction score
http://kticradio.com/news/national/index.php?more=34290338

(RALEIGH, N.C.) -- Hundreds of students in North Carolina have been suspended from attending school because they failed to get vaccinated.

At least 200 students in three counties had not turned in their certificate of immunization form as of Friday to prove they had received a Tdap shot. The shot is a combination of three vaccines that provide protection against diphtheria, tetanus and pertussis (whooping cough).

Under a 2008 North Carolina law, all incoming sixth graders must get a Tdap booster shot within 30 days of the new school year. ........

Students can be exempted from vaccinations for specific religious or health reasons.

While the Tdap vaccination protects against three diseases, it's an increase in cases of pertussis or whooping cough that have consistently worried health officials........more.........

I'm horrified of needles I'm glad I'm not in school or I would have to drop out. Use to be you had a choice to get a booster, when did it become mandatory?

I'm horrified of needles I'm glad I'm not in school or I would have to drop out. Use to be you had a choice to get a booster, when did it become mandatory?

When diseases that they thought were eradicated started popping back up.

There are people who can't get vaccines for whatever health reasons, and the people who "forget" to get vaccinated when in close proximity to a bunch of strangers are risking other people's lives.

Sure, most of these kids will probably just get a nasty cough if whooping cough comes back to their area, but what about the percentage of kids who have immune system problems that could die or have to be hospitalized? Should we make the parents of the kids who are not vaccinating pay for the kid's hospitalizations?

Also, needles are much smaller than they used to be, and some vaccines are even nasal sprays now! I think the advances they are creating are pretty unique.

It's so frustrating. I'm a nurse, and until a few years ago I had never even uttered the words whooping cough or pertussis in a professional capacity. Now, we're sending babies and school children to the ER for hospitalization for a completely preventable illness because of ignorance. I wish more schools would take swift action in denying entry to unvaccinated kids. You should have to show proof of vaccination in order to register. There's no reason for us to still be dealing with pertussis in the year 2013.

Many of those "health related" excuses are bogus as well, and as for religious grounds? Perhaps they should not be using the public school system for the education of their children. Separation of church and state and all that jazz....

This disease right here scares the crap out of me. Whooping cough. I don't like needles either but my sister that is a year and a half younger than me, took this when she was 14. She had taken her vaccine the same time as me, and came down with it anyways. I've never seen anybody as sick in my life, as she was that summer. It lasted the ENTIRE SUMMER! I am going to talk to my family physician about getting a booster shot, because this disease is making a comeback. Shoot me with as many needles as it takes.

Texas battling whooping cough epidemic

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57602506/texas-battling-whooping-cough-epidemic/

Look at the states reporting it now.
http://www.cdc.gov/pertussis/outbreaks/trends.html

And this strand is not responding to vaccines.

It's so frustrating. I'm a nurse, and until a few years ago I had never even uttered the words whooping cough or pertussis in a professional capacity. Now, we're sending babies and school children to the ER for hospitalization for a completely preventable illness because of ignorance. I wish more schools would take swift action in denying entry to unvaccinated kids. You should have to show proof of vaccination in order to register. There's no reason for us to still be dealing with pertussis in the year 2013.

:seeya: Great post! Thank you! What are we going to do about this new strand?

It's good that schools are trying to protect children from potentially devastating and deadly epidemics. I think one of the reasons parents won't let their kids get vaccinated is because of the tragically misguided belief that vaccines cause autism. This myth was created by a fraudulent research paper and has since been discredited. The author had his medical license revoked and is banned from practicing medicine again. Sadly, the damage is done, and many parents, including mine, still strongly hold on to this absolutely false belief.

Many of those "health related" excuses are bogus as well, and as for religious grounds? Perhaps they should not be using the public school system for the education of their children. Separation of church and state and all that jazz....

The private school system "requires" the shots, too. The religious waiver applies to both public and private. All of the suspended kids could/would be back at school today if they signed the waiver.

The private school system "requires" the shots, too. The religious waiver applies to both public and private. All of the suspended kids could/would be back at school today if they signed the waiver.

Yes, I am aware. There should be no religious exemption for public schools. The private can do whatever they wish, although it certainly is a moral obligation for them to require vaccinations as well. I'd like to see it legally mandated across the board that there are no religious exemptions. The health exemption scrutiny should be very rigorous and with very narrow criteria. As much as I'd like to believe there aren't doctors out there signing waivers to appease the ill-informed (excuse the pun) and ignorant, I know there are. It's maddening.:banghead:

Yes, I am aware. There should be no religious exemption for public schools. The private can do whatever they wish, although it certainly is a moral obligation for them to require vaccinations as well. I'd like to see it legally mandated across the board that there are no religious exemptions. The health exemption scrutiny should be very rigorous and with very narrow criteria. As much as I'd like to believe there aren't doctors out there signing waivers to appease the ill-informed (excuse the pun) and ignorant, I know there are. It's maddening.:banghead:

Here, the parent can sign them. I thought that was true everywhere.

Maybe I misunderstood? Parents can sign a medical waiver?

They can definitely sign the religious waiver and I believe they can sign the medical waiver, as well. I know they can sign both in private school.

In my state a physician has to sign the medical waiver. However, I have anecdotal evidence that not all physicians are signing waivers out of medical necessity. Rather, some are being signed to appease militant anti-vaxxers. It's just easier, I guess.:banghead:

It's good that schools are trying to protect children from potentially devastating and deadly epidemics. I think one of the reasons parents won't let their kids get vaccinated is because of the tragically misguided belief that vaccines cause autism. This myth was created by a fraudulent research paper and has since been discredited. The author had his medical license revoked and is banned from practicing medicine again. Sadly, the damage is done, and many parents, including mine, still strongly hold on to this absolutely false belief.

I am really appalled when children do not get their immunizations. We are seeing diseases return, which were thought to be eradicated like measles and whooping cough. Those diseases were extremely rare in America before parents stop immunizing their children. Sadly, Dr. Andrew Wakefield did a lot of damage for public health. To make matters worse, there are people and celebrities who believe vaccines causes autism.

I am really appalled when children do not get their immunizations. We are seeing diseases return, which were thought to be eradicated like measles and whooping cough. Those diseases were extremely rare in America before parents stop immunizing their children. Sadly, Dr. Andrew Wakefield did a lot of damage for public health. To make matters worse, there are people and celebrities who believe vaccines causes autism.

He should be forced to do public service announcement detailing what a liar and fraud he was and urging patents to vaccinate!

When my kids were little we went to a before school begins night, we had to show a shot record. Maybe that should be used.

Legal - make a mental note.

Two words :
EMLA cream... :D
The pediatricians I worked for allow parents to use it prior to injections.
My mother was deathly afraid of needles as well (I never understood that she was a seamstress!!! She stuck herself a LOT) *maybe that is why she was afraid???

She used EMLA when she got chemo. Said it was the best thing ever!

just in cause you ever need a shot in the future ...

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

It's that way in our middle schools, but they have until 7th grade to get it. I got it for my daughter in 4th grade,

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10
Back