GUILTY NY - Sylvia Mitchell for psychic swindle, Greenwich Village, 2011

Donjeta

Adji Desir, missing from Florida
Reaction score
Sylvia Mitchell bilked a Singaporean businesswoman out of $128,000 and a Florida-based dance instructor out of more than $10,000, prosecutors say
The 39-year-old who told fortunes out of her Greenwich Village, New York, shop is on trial for grand larceny
She could face up to 15 years in prison if convicted of the top charge against her
After both a breakup and a layoff within a day in July 2008, 'I needed some direction and guidance, and she said that she was pretty confident that she could help me,' Saalfield told jurors. 'I don't know that I thoroughly trusted her, but I wanted to listen to words of comfort.'
After a $75 initial psychic reading, she returned the next week for a $1,000 version — and was told her problems stemmed from being too attached to money in her royal life in ancient Egypt, Saalfield said. She knows of no Egyptian heritage in her family.
Mitchell's solution: Give her $27,000, just to hold, as an exercise in parting with money, Saalfield recalled.
She gave Mitchell the sum, quickly regretted it and asked for a refund. Mitchell said the money wasn't available, Saalfield said.

Lee Choong, a Singapore native who earned a master's degree in business in New York, turned to Mitchell in 2007. Choong was grappling with professional demands and a personal problem: She was romantically interested in a co-worker, who didn't reciprocate, according to prosecutors and Mitchell's lawyer. Choong hasn't yet testified.
Mitchell said Choong was surrounded by 'negative energy' and could exorcise it by putting $18,000 in a jar that Mitchell would hold, Bergamo said. Choong ultimately gave Mitchell about $128,000 over two years, prosecutors and the defense said.
Mitchell repeatedly offered to repay Choong if she was dissatisfied, Aronwald said.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...sswoman-duped-130k-psychic.html#ixzz2gm6irGiT
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

The moral of the story: if you will believe anything, you will believe anything.

"Bogus psychics" presumes that there are "non-bogus psychics." Discuss.

I went to a gypsy psychic many years ago. The psychic seemed to be dead on initially. I was so desperate for answers, call me stupid, I went back. The psychic told me that she got a sign that she needed white fluffy down comforters, queen size, 2 of them, to complete my journey. So I bought 2 comforters. Yes, I was an idiot, but I was young AND stupid AND naive. I went back several days later and low and behold, the comforters were boxed up for the UPS man. I bought her gypsy MIL 2 comforters and surprise, surprise, my circumstances did not change. The guy still kept me dumped. LOL

Reminds me of the funny story of the psychic who convinced this 12 year old girl her family was cursed, and that the girl needed to give (steal) $10,000 worth of her parents gold to the psychic to remove the curse.

Oh, there are plenty of people who fall for various types of scams. And I do believe that so called "psychics" are a scam. Either for money or for attention or power or whatever.

A good friend of mine recently got caught up in a "romance scam" - which I had never heard of before. Then I went to ScamSurvivors.com and Romancescammers.org. Wow! People are sending lots of money to scammers!

"Bogus psychics" presumes that there are "non-bogus psychics." Discuss.

There is no such things as psychics!

A sucker born every minute...,..if only I didn't have integrity, I could be a very rich woman. I'm exceptionally good at doing cold readings. Used to give readings for kicks in college.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Those ladies would have been much better off going to a counselor, and it would have cost less. It sounds like they wanted hexes and spells though.

I don't understand why only this psychic is being shut down and not all of them. They all are either committing a crime or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Why is it legal at all then for so called "psychics" to charge money????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back