OR OR - Salem, I-5 S of Woodburn, 'Portland Eck', WhtMale 35-45, UP9991, SK vic, moccasin boots, Jul'80

So the sample tests aren't complete right now, I think as soon as they are we're gonna find out who this man was. We just have to wait patiently for OSP and UNT to do all their stuff

NAMUS UP9991

NamUs doesn't have any circumstances listed on this man, but DoeNetwork says he's believed to be a victim of Randy Kraft. Kraft was serial killer who operated between 1972 and 1983. He has 16 confirmed victims, including this unidentified man, and is a suspect in another 51 murders.

DEMOGRAPHICS
  • Race: White
  • Sex: Male
  • Weight: 160 pounds
  • Height: 66 inches (5'6)
  • Postmortem interval: 4 hours
  • Body conditions: All parts recovered, recognizable face

CIRCUMSTANCES
  • Date found: July 18, 1980
  • City: Salem, Marion county, Oregon
  • Exact address: Interstate 5, Mile post 270.7

PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION
  • Hair: Brown, balding
  • Facial hair: Brown mustache
  • Eye color: Blue

CLOTHING DESCRIPTION
  • Red t-shirt
  • ''WRANGLER'' blue denim jeans
  • Socks
  • Briefs
  • Brown leather moccasin boots

Dentals are available, DNA is listed as ''available but not yet submitted''.

Possible match: Steve Losonczi
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/l/losonczi_steve.html
losonczi_steve.jpg

This guy is probably the closest match I can find for the UID.

Height is within range (Lozonczi is 5'7, UID is 5'6)
Weight is a match (Lozonczi was about 155 - 160 pounds, UID was 160 pounds)
Hair description is a match (brown, balding)
Eye color is a match (blue)
Race is a match (white)
Age range is a match (Losonczi was 43 when he went missing, UID was 35 - 45)

There was already a thread for this John Doe, so I merged your new thread with the existing one.

Steve Losonczi was already mentioned in the previous thread. Ambercat submitted Steve's name as a possible back in 2011.

No word on whether he was ruled out, or if they are just waiting for CODIS to figure it out for them.

There was already a thread for this John Doe, so I merged your new thread with the existing one.

Steve Losonczi was already mentioned in the previous thread. Ambercat submitted Steve's name as a possible back in 2011.

No word on whether he was ruled out, or if they are just waiting for CODIS to figure it out for them.

Ah, sorry about the duplicate thread. This thread didn't come up in the 'thread suggestions' as I was doing the title, probably because I used 'Salem' and the NamUs UP number instead of the DoeNetwork one. I'll check more thoroughly next time. : )

Ah, sorry about the duplicate thread. This thread didn't come up in the 'thread suggestions' as I was doing the title, probably because I used 'Salem' and the NamUs UP number instead of the DoeNetwork one. I'll check more thoroughly next time. : )

The UID wasn't on NamUs when I originally started the thread. I think that LE is trying to find a sample of Steve Lozonczi's DNA. That was the last I heard.

I was looking at Oregon UIDs and thought, before checking WS that Steve L. was a likely match...

UID's DNA says still not submitted, so unfortunately might just be a waiting game at this point.

A couple of thoughts about the Elk/Eck.

Wondered if ECK could be related to the religious order Eckaknar.

Also, there is a very famous Elk statue in Portland down by the courthouse: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a0/PortlandElkStatue.jpg

Wondered if he picked up someone down there.

The one thing that is a bit of a puzzler is that the other victim from this trip was killed the day before John Doe was found. Makes me think that either this victim wasn't picked up in Portland at all, but closer to where O'Fallon was left, near Salem. Its only about an hour/hour and a half drive between Portland and Salem, but still doesn't leave much time between O'Fallon and John Doe.

A couple of thoughts about the Elk/Eck.

Wondered if ECK could be related to the religious order Eckaknar.

That's an interesting thought. I have heard of Eckankar by seeing their brochures on bulletin boards from time to time, so I did a little searching for info on the group.

http://www.eckankar.org/ is their official site. They seem to have a presence in Portland and Salem, as well as several other cities in Oregon, although it is hard to say how long that has been the case. http://www.eckankar-oregon.org/ has local info.

The Eckankar religion was founded in 1965 in Las Vegas, but their HQ are now located in Menlo Park, CA (in the Bay Area). They have their main temple in Minnesota, but that was built in 1990, after John Doe passed away.

Members of the group perform some sort of spiritual exercises to cleanse the bad karma from their spirits to allow fuller communion with god. I'm not a member, and a lot of the info online is vague. Eckankar seems sort of controversial, so they probably keep things intentionally quiet.

Wow. I have always thought this was Steve Losonczi. I wonder if we'll find out his real identity.

May he Rest in Peace. I hope they can shed some light on the nickname Kraft gave him, as it could help decipher some of the more cryptic names on that sheet of paper and maybe lead to more identifications. But in the meantime, sincere condolences go out to his family.

There is nothing I love more than seeing the IDENTIFIED tag in front of old cases.

Someone's family gets closure today that they haven't had for almost 35 years.

They now know that their loved one was not forgotten about, and that even 35 years later people were still looking.

Although it's probably not the closure they were hoping for. They can now get answers

There is nothing I love more than seeing the IDENTIFIED tag in front of old cases.

Someone's family gets closure today that they haven't had for almost 35 years.

They now know that their loved one was not forgotten about, and that even 35 years later people were still looking.

Although it's probably not the closure they were hoping for. They can now get answers

I feel the same way...seems that a lot of older Jane/John Does are finally being ID'd recently...it started with Cali and seems to have jump started an interest around the country with solving cold cases.

I was searching the internet, trying to see if I could learn more about John Doe "Portland Elk" being identified (I guess I'm nosy). I found the blog of Peter Thomson, who is looking for his brother, David Thomson, who has been missing since 1979 -- http://www.findingdave.com/blog/salem-oregon. I thought the timing was interesting because it sounds as though the coroner in Oregon received Mr. Thomson's dental information in mid-February. The reason the UID was noticed by Peter Thomson is very interesting --

I know the sketch is bad and doesn't look like David, but the description is fairly similar. The thing that made me consider it is probably a stretch but the "Portland elk" made me think of the elk statue in Portland with the name David Thompson on it.

Portland Elk is not David Bird Thomson, The state medical examiner Dr Nici Vance compared dental xrays and they are not a match. She said that 9991 is unidentified, although the county M.E. sent me a email that said that the body has been identified. when I received it i notified DOE network and they must have contacted the County ME and changed him to identified. Nici was going to call Rich Thompson the county ME and get to the bottom of it. I will post any information here when I recieve it
Peter Thomson
findingdavet@gmail.com

I received this email from Oregon yesterday, It looks like Portland Elk is still unidentified, Dr Vance told me that he was cremated long ago so there would be no chance of getting DNA

Hi, Peter…I also have a call in to the Doe Network regarding the status of this case, so hopefully we can correct the error and continue to look for the identity of this man, as well as continuing our efforts to find your brother.
Good luck and again, please let me know if you need anything else.
Best to you,

Dr. Nici Vance

Forensic Anthropologist, OSP Medical Examiner’s Division
Forensic Scientist I, OSP Forensic Services Division
13309 SE 84th Avenue, Suite 100
Clackamas, Oregon 97015

I received this email from Oregon yesterday, It looks like Portland Elk is still unidentified, Dr Vance told me that he was cremated long ago so there would be no chance of getting DNA

Hi, Peter…I also have a call in to the Doe Network regarding the status of this case, so hopefully we can correct the error and continue to look for the identity of this man, as well as continuing our efforts to find your brother.
Good luck and again, please let me know if you need anything else.
Best to you,

Dr. Nici Vance

Forensic Anthropologist, OSP Medical Examiner’s Division
Forensic Scientist I, OSP Forensic Services Division
13309 SE 84th Avenue, Suite 100
Clackamas, Oregon 97015

From the way that sounds, not only was "Portland Eck" not identified, it sounds like there's very little hope that he will ever be identified.

A mod should move this thread back to Unidentified.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021
Back