TN TN - Kathy Jones, 12, Nashville, 29 Nov 1969 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone recall a person around that time that may have lived in a van, bus, or camper? Was there any traveling sales type person around during that time? How about a large ice cream truck?

It would seem it was someone that was close to the area, especially since they returned her to a spot near where she was taken from. Pretty risky if not familiar with the area, any traffic in the area. I understand it would conceal due to the tall weeds and grass, but still risky. I'm sure woods would be more convenient, so if woods are near there, then I would think the person lived very close by. Unless it all happened in one night, and not days later.

There were traveling salesmen, I am sure.

There was the rollerdrome bus driven by Edward Warner Adcox (now deceased) who was most definitely a child rapist. The police have said so in print several times including when Adcox was still alive. Kathy was trying to go to the rollerdrome and possibly even did go to the rollerdrome.

There were delivery vans for Krispy Kreme. She was found behind Krispy Kreme. She was going to Krispy Kreme that night to get doughnuts.

There were checker cabs. Granted, no one would live in those, but some drivers were in her neighborhood and knew her. They were questioned (some of them). One of them remains a suspect.

Krispy Kreme had a bus, but where it was at that time IDK. But, I mention it for completeness.

There was probably an ice cream truck as the neighborhood had quite a few children. Ice cream trucks are pretty common.

There would be too many delivery trucks to name as there were quite a few businesses in the immediate area. Not to mention various types of vans used by workers as well as in private use. But, these could include caterers' vans, florists' vans, drug store delivery vans (possibly not 100 percent on that one though I know of at least one pharmacy nearby), plumbing vans, vans related to carpeting. I'm not just naming stuff... these types of businesses were nearby on Thompson Lane and Nolensville Road (the part near T.L.).

I do not know if there would've been anyone living in their van/camper in that area normally. However, it was a holiday weekend (Thanksgiving).

Some of the stuff we're talking about is right there in plain sight along T.L. and N.R., if you're there then you will glance around and see it. So, although area knowledge is important, now that I am thinking it over.. it maybe isn't as vital to this as it would seem. They probably did spend some time in that area, but I just mean it wouldn't be a requirement.

Nolensville Road runs from right downtown, so although it is called 4th Avenue there. It continues on until it leaves Davidson County. However, the intersection of N.R. and Thompson Lane is a major intersection with 100 Oaks Mall having opened down T.L. in 1968. A lot of people might access the mall by going down N.R.

The area that became the zoo was a huge wooded area that you really couldn't miss. Everyone used to always ask about it (before the zoo) because it was so odd to see that much road frontage that is clearly wooded in a city. It was where the Dunn sisters lived, but I do not remember being able to see their house from the road.

I have no idea why he put her where he put her. But, it did not happen all in one night. The Banner irresponsibly ran that story and it is not correct. I wish it was, but it is not. She didn't die that quickly. Bruises had time to form from the severe beating she received.

There are three crime scenes... abduction, place of captivity and assault and murder, and finally where she was left. Only the last one has ever been found. I know this is confusing and illogical, but we do not know some things... this is what has led to trying to figure out crime scenes that maybe they would not have found despite trying.

Maybe putting her the way he did, despite the risk, served some purpose of the murderer's.

I have always gotten the impression that she and her things were left very quickly. So, the weeds only needed to conceal her long enough for him to drive away.

I do think it is likely he was able to watch her being found and all the resultant activity. Maybe that is why the location was chosen. But, if he could figure out a plausible reason to be in KK, then all he'd have to do is go outside when all the police cars arrived.

... get some rest .... you have done a lot lately .... dont pressure yourself too much ... we will all be here as long as needed .

I like all your posts ... you explain things very well .... thanks.

Thank you for the kind words, Arnie M.

I try to explain things as carefully as I can. I will be glad to get exact answers from the police and not just have to go on newspapers and memory.

Backwoods .... Your theory may not be so far fetched !!!!!!!!!!

Mike Debardeleben began beating his mother about age 13
He was arrested at age 16 on a weapons charge
Police believe he committed his first murder around 1967
He would have been 29 at the time of Kathy's murder
Killed a lady realtor with two puncture wounds to her heart
Kathy Jones had a puncture wound under the left breast

There are several things about that individual that seem to fit with this murder.

I need to read up on him. I've put it off a little bit.

But, I need to find out about how he caused these puncture wounds.

If he preferred grown women, maybe he misjudged Kathy's age for some reason, and was partly mad because she was too much like a child in her development. This would be maybe he saw her in the dark or something, at first. Murderers always blame their victims and never themselves, from what I can tell. So, I can see one beating up a girl for being 12.

ETA
He was horrible to grown women, too. IDK what I mean...

I'm just wanting to note one more thing myself, tonight.

I've noticed there are some recent posts about the/an alley in the area where Kathy was found. Haven't found in reading yet quite how that came up and where all it's gone, so this could be redundant, but:

It touches on something that kind of had me scratching my head, which is this quote from one of the articles:

http://www.wsmv.com/story/19024068/cold-case-detectives-seek-publics-help-in-grisly-killings

I'm not a city-raised girl and still, to this day, don't understand things like alleys and blocks, etc., too well, LOL -- but I couldn't understand how she could have been found IN the alley and IN the vacant lot, too...?

There are so many reports of her being found in the weedy field/lot, I'm sure that must be the case. But -- by Postiglione referencing the alley, maybe something about that alley has played a part in LE theories over the years...? I wonder if they might have found evidence there.

IDK for certain what he meant, but all my life... I've had the impression she was barely off the road. So, just a bit into the weeds.

Like the killer opened his car door and scraped her and her stuff out onto the ground. Then drove off just like that.

ETA
'impression' meaning I can't recall word for word what I was told.

But I never got the idea she was in the middle of the field. This was always one of the most disturbing things... he left her pretty fast and not very well concealed. I think it was just he did it so fast that was his main concealment.. kind of like with her abduction.

There are several things about that individual that seem to fit with this murder.

I need to read up on him. I've put it off a little bit.

But, I need to find out about how he caused these puncture wounds.

If he preferred grown women, maybe he misjudged Kathy's age for some reason, and was partly mad because she was too much like a child in her development. This would be maybe he saw her in the dark or something, at first. Murderers always blame their victims and never themselves, from what I can tell. So, I can see one beating up a girl for being 12.

ETA
He was horrible to grown women, too. IDK what I mean...

I wonder if the puncture wounds were done with an icepick
DeBardeleben carried a kit with everything he needed for his crimes
He often dressed like a policeman to approach his victims

Turns out he did go after young girls starting in 1966
Interesting timeline for James Michael DeBardeleben

1966 ... Assault , Sodomy , kidnapping of a young girl
1969 (april) ... another kidnapping , makes his wife Faye participate
1969 (august) ...his wife Faye is pregnant and they divorce
1971 ... murders a woman real estate agent

He had trouble performing sexually and often beat his victims terribly ... seems to fit with bruising done to KJ (so sad)

Could be a long shot .... but I will keep digging to see if I can find out what city or state he was in during 1969

Attachments

• James Michael DeBardeleben 4.JPG
    James Michael DeBardeleben 4.JPG
    182.1 KB · Views: 23
For anyone interested here is the complete timeline for DeBardeleben

PDF link ... http://maamodt.asp.radford.edu/Psyc 405/serial killers/Debardeleben, Mike _fall 2007_.pdf

Probably the quickest way to eliminate him as a suspect is to try to narrow down where he was during November 1969

So far we know he had lived in Texas , Little Rock Arkansas , West Virginia etc .... but during his counterfeit days he often went cross country on the interstates ... and would stop at every little town to cash in his fake money.

MrTT, I asked about the shoes. No official word yet, but I shared your theories.

Her legs weren't like you're imagining from what I have heard. This is why I do not think she was lying down on a flat surface. She was forced into a strange position.

She had new skates and was excited about skating and going to get doughnuts. I don't think she was interested in boys yet. I don't believe she was going all of the places by herself, so it is weird the police aren't sure where she had or hadn't been. But, information could be missing from articles.

She was held captive somewhere for a day and a half. I don't know where. But, there are several places close by.

I can't talk much right now... I'll be back to answer more questions.
http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashville/a-killing-a-search-a-suspect/Content?oid=1182733
lying on her right side, back bent, arms tied behind her with plaid cloth. Her eyes are slightly open, and her head is pushed far back, her blouse tied around her mouth and neck. Her throat has several almond shaped cuts. There is a puncture wound below her small left breast. Blood is here and there.Kathy’s bare white back rises from the weeds. Her right leg is straight; her left knee is drawn almost to her waist. The savagery of the sexual attack, which apparently involved both vaginal and anal penetration, is appalling. Her buttocks are nearly black from the bruises.
What clothes weren’t used to bind and gag her are crumpled beside her, including a little glove with a checkered, Christmasy design. Her coat lies in front of her, and her white underwear are wadded on the ground against her chest.
Scattered on the grass are her purse and a deck of her playing cards. Beside her thigh, on its wheels, ready to be picked up and put on, is a clean, white, leather roller skate.

lying on her right side, back bent, arms tied behind her with plaid cloth. Her eyes are slightly open, and her head is pushed far back

Her right leg is straight; her left knee is drawn almost to her waist.

if you lay her on her back from the above position, you get a better idea. Of what I posted. With her laying on her back, and him on top with her left leg over his right shoulder and his hands around her neck pushing downward could have caused her back to appear bent and her head appearing so far back.

What clothes weren’t used to bind and gag her are crumpled beside her, including a little glove with a checkered, Christmasy design. Her coat lies in front of her, and her white underwear are wadded on the ground against her chest.
Scattered on the grass are her purse and a deck of her playing cards. Beside her thigh, on its wheels, ready to be picked up and put on, is a clean, white, leather roller skate.

The above items to me seem more scattered and not brought from somewhere and left with her.......He checked her purse for valuables.
But it is the placing of the coat that intrigues me......Her coat lies in front of her. When they say lies in front of her I take that as meaning down by her feet! Which could mean the attacker used her coat as a cushion so not to rub or get burn marks on himself while he was on top. But lieing in front of her could also mean next to her head? So I don't know.

But to leave her there would require two trips if brought from somewhere else. One to lay her down, and Two to go back and get the other stuff and leave it next to her. If that is the case the items would have been more together and not scattered, more in a pile than laying around where found.
This is one reason why i believe the crime occured in that area, and not taken and brought back...If in a vacant building he could have left her and her stuff there and not leave her where found....

There was no official autopsy so saying she was held for a day and a half or so before being found i question. I guess it could be possible, but withit being somewhat cold out that evening it could have slowed things down a bit and gave the impression time of death occurred a day and a half later before she was found. Though pure guessing and speculations on my part and I am not disputing any believes you or any one else has.

No need to take the time and respond to this, I know how busy you are and I am very happy you made contact with the LEO.

ANY visual aids he may be able to share from the crime scene and the surrounding area would be PRICELESS!!!

Seeing some crime scene photos would be unbelievable!!!
But would help in determining things.

Forgot to say THANKYOU...For asking about the shoes. I appreciate that very much.

Regarding the "choked" part:

I will jump in with a few thoughts I've had on this. I know there has been some discussion about how the damage to her neck/throat was done, and several types of garrottes, etc., mentioned.

What keeps popping into my mind -- and I think others may have mentioned this -- is something like a dog choke collar, made of chain.

It is horrible to write this, sorry. But, pulled very tight, I can see how how the links on such a chain might have left wounds that appeared "almond shaped" in photographs -- along with bruising, etc. He may have been tightening and releasing, etc., awful stuff, typical of a sexual sadist though, so several sets/types of wounds could have resulted.

December, from what you have heard over the years and read, etc., did you get the definite impression that these were "clean" cuts, such as from a blade, or do you think they could have been "crushing" cuts?

If the perp did have a chain or something similar, it makes it seem less likely, IMO, that this was a totally opportunistic/impulsive attack. That is, while he may not have been stalking Kathy in particular, he was looking and ready for a victim.

I don't want to go too far off on a weird tangent, but I did want to just mention Mike Debardeleben. Definitely a sexual sadist. His is a weird and long story, December -- are you familiar with him? He was never actually convicted of a murder, yet he is considered a serial killer. He wasn't tried for any murders, largely because he already had racked up forever-in-prison on counterfeiting and abduction/sexual assault convictions -- he let some victims go, but it is widely believed he killed others.

He just keeps popping into my mind for a few reasons. One being that a few other WSers and I have been looking at him as a possibility in another thread I'm active in, which I may post about here a little more later, so he is "on my mind".

But also because (1) definitely a sexual sadist, (2) he traveled widely and evidence is that he had many, many victims, (3) a presumed "kill kit" was found among his belongings that included a chain choke collar (4) he was very into bondage and exotic tying positions. One of his released victims described one that she said he called a Chinese Hog Tie, for example.

Also -- two women that he almost surely killed (though, oddly enough, did not appear to sexually assault) were left in "display" positions.

Couple things I want to check on about Mike D. a little more closely -- (1)his ties/travels in the Nashville area and (2)charges, which were later dropped, against him in 1966 (pretty early in his known life of crime) for the abduction and sexual assault of a "young girl". Most of his known victims were a bit older than Kathy -- he wasn't a pedophile, exactly -- but I have a feeling (not sure though) that early charge may have involved a younger girl -- and it would not surprise me at all if there were others.

ETA: Also just wanted to say that I am leaning toward the suffocation from the sock not being intentional. It is even possible, IMO, crazy as it sounds, that the perp may not have specifically planned to kill Kathy -- he may have been disguised, etc., he might would have left her there to live, if she could, after all he had done to her. Not sure about that, but I do tend to think her suffocating from the sock was not part of the plan -- it may have even angered the perp if she died "too early" for his liking.

Poor Kathy. RIP honey.
Keep in mind, her blouse was tied around her neck. JMO, but I don't believe a collar was used. The "almond shaped" cuts could well be slices made into the skin by the edge of a knife. If deep enough, over time the openings would have widened.

:+:MrTT:+:, I agree with you again on all points except the position of the body. As I've said before, the position in which she was found aligns with the nature of the attack.

I keep noticing that this article quotes a "medical examiner". Is that just the paper glorifying the coroner a bit -- or did a medical examiner actually weigh in at some point? (Just remembering there was no autopsy, etc.)
I checked into that the other day. Dr P was not a forensic pathologist. Consider the discrepancies in the postmortem analysis of Marcia Trimble's death, particularly regarding time of death. I asked December if she recalled any remarks about livor mortis, but she doesn't.

http://books.google.com/books?id=3MBPsta9_j0C&lpg=PT63&ots=caz17zXZCv&dq=dr%20michael%20petrone%20nashville&pg=PT63#v=onepage&q=dr%20michael%20petrone%20nashville&f=false

Keep in mind, her blouse was tied around her neck. JMO, but I don't believe a collar was used. The "almond shaped" cuts could well be slices made into the skin by the edge of a knife. If deep enough, over time the openings would have widened.

:+:MrTT:+:, I agree with you again on all points except the position of the body. As I've said before, the position in which she was found aligns with the nature of the attack.

Perhaps we will be able to view some crime scene photos, so we know for ourselves exactly what it is we are looking at.

There are pieces missing to this puzzle, information we don't have that causes voids and spaces to develop in our discussions. Visual aids would help clear and connect some of these pieces.

Perhaps we will be able to view some crime scene photos, so we know for ourselves exactly what it is we are looking at.

There are pieces missing to this puzzle, information we don't have that causes voids and spaces to develop in our discussions. Visual aids would help clear and connect some of these pieces.
Agreed! Photos would be so helpful. Other than crime scene photos, just a picture of the property back then would be useful. I've scoured the internet trying to find one, but to no avail. I even started searching property records the other day but I ran out of time and didn't get very far. I'd just like to know how much of that space was occupied, and how were the buildings situated. Backwoods inquired about an alley. Was there an alley which ran alongside of KK and opened onto the vacant lot? That could mean K was abducted as she walked by the KK and dragged into the lot.

I tend to think Kathy's killer kept her close by, using the alley to gain access to the field and dispose of her little body. I think he had knowledge of the alley because he was living or working in the area. He may have planned this abduction for this particular weekend and drove around looking for his victim. Poor Kathy was the victim of opportunity. Any child could have stumbled into his hunting ground.

I wonder if the 1969 suspect list included:
*Someone with access to a warehouse (during the Thanksgiving holiday weekend) near the abduction site. Maybe even a security guard?
*A neighbor who was left home alone (rest of family traveling away for holiday) that weekend.

Obviously, this was a sick monster who possibly wanted to keep poor Kathy alive for his own cruel desires for as long as possible. I wouldn't be shocked to learn that she had accidentally choked trying to free herself from the gag, swallowing the sock in her struggle -- only to have him try to pull the sock out. His attempted removal may have resulted in the tearing or cutting of her little bobbie sock in two.
The mention of the alley makes me wonder if there were any tire tracks in the alley that were photographed that might lead somewhere....hmmmm

And it would be good to find out where DeBardeleben was in Nov 1969...

Agreed! Photos would be so helpful. Other than crime scene photos, just a picture of the property back then would be useful. I've scoured the internet trying to find one, but to no avail. I even started searching property records the other day but I ran out of time and didn't get very far. I'd just like to know how much of that space was occupied, and how were the buildings situated. Backwoods inquired about an alley. Was there an alley which ran alongside of KK and opened onto the vacant lot? That could mean K was abducted as she walked by the KK and dragged into the lot.

I just read something on another case that seemed interesting.
Ill link it if need be but here it is.

she had been sexually abused and that she was already dead before the killer(s) tied her up.

Have not read why the killer since not caught would tie her up after her death. But could it be to give the impression to the LEOS, that she was killed elsewhere?

And to respond to your comment, I would like to see the area surrounding where she was found also.

respectfully snipped
I wonder if the 1969 suspect list included:
*Someone with access to a warehouse (during the Thanksgiving holiday weekend) near the abduction site. Maybe even a security guard?
*A neighbor who was left home alone (rest of family traveling away for holiday) that weekend.
To that list I would add a travelling salesman, as 21merc7 mentioned. Earlier I noted nearby motels, or "motor courts" as they were known in the 50's and 60's. One still exists today at the corner of Nolensville and Lutie (K's street).

Assuming there were three crime scenes, any of the above situations would provide a need for the perp to move the body.

I just read something on another case that seemed interesting.
Ill link it if need be but here it is.

she had been sexually abused and that she was already dead before the killer(s) tied her up.

Have not read why the killer since not caught would tie her up after her death. But could it be to give the impression to the LEOS, that she was killed elsewhere?

And to respond to your comment, I would like to see the area surrounding where she was found also.
Or a case of necrophilia. I don't know, but an examination of the body would reveal whether the bondage occurred pre- or postmortem. The killer might not have known that, though.

For anyone interested here is the complete timeline for DeBardeleben

PDF link ... http://maamodt.asp.radford.edu/Psyc 405/serial killers/Debardeleben, Mike _fall 2007_.pdf

Probably the quickest way to eliminate him as a suspect is to try to narrow down where he was during November 1969

So far we know he had lived in Texas , Little Rock Arkansas , West Virginia etc .... but during his counterfeit days he often went cross country on the interstates ... and would stop at every little town to cash in his fake money.
I can't find anything that places DeBardeleben in Tennessee. Maybe someone else will come up with something. There's also the fact that his wife was eight months pregnant at the time. Not that he was a model husband by any stretch, but he might have been less likely to travel the highways around that time. :dunno:

http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashville/a-killing-a-search-a-suspect/Content?oid=1182733
lying on her right side, back bent, arms tied behind her with plaid cloth. Her eyes are slightly open, and her head is pushed far back, her blouse tied around her mouth and neck. Her throat has several almond shaped cuts. There is a puncture wound below her small left breast. Blood is here and there.Kathy’s bare white back rises from the weeds. Her right leg is straight; her left knee is drawn almost to her waist. The savagery of the sexual attack, which apparently involved both vaginal and anal penetration, is appalling. Her buttocks are nearly black from the bruises.

lying on her right side, back bent, arms tied behind her with plaid cloth. Her eyes are slightly open, and her head is pushed far back

Her right leg is straight; her left knee is drawn almost to her waist.

if you lay her on her back from the above position, you get a better idea. Of what I posted. With her laying on her back, and him on top with her left leg over his right shoulder and his hands around her neck pushing downward could have caused her back to appear bent and her head appearing so far back.

The above items to me seem more scattered and not brought from somewhere and left with her.......He checked her purse for valuables.
But it is the placing of the coat that intrigues me......Her coat lies in front of her. When they say lies in front of her I take that as meaning down by her feet! Which could mean the attacker used her coat as a cushion so not to rub or get burn marks on himself while he was on top. But lieing in front of her could also mean next to her head? So I don't know.

But to leave her there would require two trips if brought from somewhere else. One to lay her down, and Two to go back and get the other stuff and leave it next to her. If that is the case the items would have been more together and not scattered, more in a pile than laying around where found.
This is one reason why i believe the crime occured in that area, and not taken and brought back...If in a vacant building he could have left her and her stuff there and not leave her where found....

There was no official autopsy so saying she was held for a day and a half or so before being found i question. I guess it could be possible, but withit being somewhat cold out that evening it could have slowed things down a bit and gave the impression time of death occurred a day and a half later before she was found. Though pure guessing and speculations on my part and I am not disputing any believes you or any one else has.

No need to take the time and respond to this, I know how busy you are and I am very happy you made contact with the LEO.

ANY visual aids he may be able to share from the crime scene and the surrounding area would be PRICELESS!!!

Seeing some crime scene photos would be unbelievable!!!
But would help in determining things.

Forgot to say THANKYOU...For asking about the shoes. I appreciate that very much.

both of her legs had to be broken to be placed in the coffin.

i know the sexual position you are talking about, but i do not believe that was the position she was in. i've read the scene article many times over the years, so i know it says her leg was 'straight'. but it didn't extend down from her hip in a straight line, it was off somehow.

did you see the bondage photo i posted? flip it around. you see how the one leg is straightish. but it is not straight like it was against something.

he didn't carry her and lay her down in the field. he threw her out of the car as if she was trash. he threw her stuff out as if it was trash and he drove away. none of this was done with any consideration. so, it didn't take much time or effort to manage.

she could not have been lying there so many days because it was only cold at night. during the days, it was in the 40s. also, this is in the middle of a city.

then, there are the bruises that have formed. this takes time.

maybe he did continue to rape and beat her after he killed her, but some of the attack happened while she was alive. in fact, i thought MOST of the attack occurred while she was alive.

i wish he'd just killed her 11/29. but, i honestly do not believe this is what happened. everything is not in these newspaper.

the reason i am responding is because people will become confused about the known facts. there are so few. if i do not say that something conflicts with what is known, then other people may base their theories on wrong information. there are quite a few times where people have decided someone's theory makes sense. and then it is accepted and agreed upon and built upon. but, if there is a conflict with what happened... i just don't know what to do except to write what i know over and over and over.

it's not what i want to believe, it's what i have been told by family members who spoke to the police. and some things are just from having been to that area of nashville and knowing what some of this looks like.

for example, i just read a quote of a quote of someone who now thinks she was mostly raped after she died. this isn't true. she was severely raped while she was alive. this is a huge discrepancy and i don't even know how it happened. the rapist may have continued on afterwards, but she went through a terrible ordeal while still alive.

i know this is not a logical murder. but, murders and murderers are not logical. if we had all of the information, things might make sense.

for a long time, my family did not tell me Kathy had been held captive. i thought it was all over with quickly. i was wrong because it was not. maybe it all took place in a vehicle right beside the lot, but it did not take place on the lot itself.

i have never heard the grass was smushed down. i have gone over in my mind, since the theory emerged in this thread, every way in the world it could take place in the lot.

but, everything has three problems
1. smashed down grass (this would occur whether he used her coat or a tarp or a tent)
2. people seeing (people might not be able to see her, but they would see him... this was not a remote or secluded location), his behavior would look aggressive and weird which would expose him to getting caught more than making a brief trip to the lot to leave her and dump out her stuff
3. noise, although she is gagged and cannot scream, some of the things he would be doing would make noise. even when i lived in nashville (much later), sound carried at night. i've been in that area at night. i think there is a good chance someone would have heard something and gone to investigate. and this doesn't take into account dogs barking.

i am trying to find out the exact search history of the lot. i understand nashville only had a coroner, but with the mild temperatures during the day, i believe this would have left unmistakable signs as she was found lying on the ground. on 11/29 (as an example as i did look it up) the high was 46 degrees. it only got down to 23 degrees at night.

the coat lying in front of her probably orients on the road or alley rather than on Kathy's body. this is how i would take and/or describe a photo anyway.

then there is the bruising. bruises had formed. i don't mean the ones described in the scene. i mean the ones seen when she was examined (there wasn't an autopsy, but there was a physical exam).

i will also try to find out the weather and wind speed, etc. on the day she was found. this might explain some of the lighter items being a little bit scattered.

i always thought he put everything in a sack and just dumped it out.

i do believe you may be right and he went through her purse at the last moment.

you're welcome about the shoes... i think the police officer thought it was an interesting theory (taken while changing into her skates). he has to check the evidence inventory list to be sure they didn't find them somewhere else.

i don't know of anyone other than police and the scene writer who has seen the crime scene photos. if there is a diagram drawn on paper (as there often is) i might ask if i can get/post that.

as far as photos of the area circa 1969, i have searched the interwebs since before i even started posting. i haven't been too lucky. i agree those would be useful. maybe the police took a few, but idk.

I really think it was a knife as well, but since I do not know.. and since a dog collar would be in keeping with what some of these individuals do/use, I'm thinking that over.

However, I am having a little more trouble with what kinds of collars people could get in 1969. I suppose the guy could custom make something..

Also, I guess I need to ask if these cuts go all the way around her neck.. I kind of had the impression they were here and there, but I do not actually know that.

I have my own theory about the cuts being part of torture done to achieve a specific purpose (besides simply torture), but I do not know if that is true. I kind of hope it is because this means they would have left her alone a bit while they got high. So, basically, I need a lot more information about the cuts.

Or a case of necrophilia. I don't know, but an examination of the body would reveal whether the bondage occurred pre- or postmortem. The killer might not have known that, though.

The sock being down her throat makes me think she was gagged when she was alive.

If she was alive when her hands were bound, etc. then there would be bruising and maybe the fabric would have cut her skin as she struggled.

I need to ask if there are signs if she was, at one point, wearing bindings that weren't at the scene. I think this will help tell where the attack was.. a building (or some kind, not necessarily a house) or a vehicle.

ETA
The attack was mostly while she was alive. Maybe all. If much of the attack was in the cold of the night, hypothermia may have made her seem dead(ish), but she would have still bruised and bled like a living person from what I understand.

Let's just say noon is the correct time of day for her death.. by then it would be warmer and her body would have begun to react a different way. This gets into some strange stuff. However, if she was not held somewhere with a consistent temperature, her body would have reacted to things going on differently just due to her core temperature.

I wonder if the puncture wounds were done with an icepick
DeBardeleben carried a kit with everything he needed for his crimes
He often dressed like a policeman to approach his victims

Turns out he did go after young girls starting in 1966
Interesting timeline for James Michael DeBardeleben

1966 ... Assault , Sodomy , kidnapping of a young girl
1969 (april) ... another kidnapping , makes his wife Faye participate
1969 (august) ...his wife Faye is pregnant and they divorce
1971 ... murders a woman real estate agent

He had trouble performing sexually and often beat his victims terribly ... seems to fit with bruising done to KJ (so sad)

Could be a long shot .... but I will keep digging to see if I can find out what city or state he was in during 1969

Thank you, Arnie M.

It may be an ice pick was used.

I had just thought one weapon was used throughout. But, now that I consider the ice pick, I realized there is no reason to believe only one weapon was used. From what I understand, ice picks are frequently pressed into service as murder weapons. And they're probably easier to explain to the police than a big scary knife.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dena24