TN TN - Kathy Jones, 12, Nashville, 29 Nov 1969 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Farmer's Almanac Weather

11/29/69--high 46.9 degrees, low 21 degrees, average 33.3 degrees, dewpoint 24.3 degrees
wind 5.9 knots, percipitations 0 inches
http://www.farmersalmanac.com/weather-history/37206/1969/11/29/

11/30/69--high 51.1 degrees, low 24.1 degrees, average 36.7 degrees, dewpoint 24.1 degrees
wind 8.8 knots, percipitation 0 inches
http://www.farmersalmanac.com/weather-history/37206/1969/11/30/

12/1/69--high 53.1 degrees, low 39 degrees, average 46.2 degrees, dewpoint 26.9 degrees
wind 10.9 knots, percipitations 0 inches
http://www.farmersalmanac.com/weather-history/37206/1969/12/01/

12/2/69--high 52 degrees, low 26.1 degrees, average 38.5 degrees, dewpoint 25.7 degrees
wind 6.1 knots, percipitation 0 inches
http://www.farmersalmanac.com/weather-history/37206/1969/12/02/

Sun & Moon (much more info for all days at link)

11/29/69--sunrise 6:38 a.m./sunset 4:33 p.m.
Moon is waning with 72% of disk illuminated
http://aa.usno.navy.mil/cgi-bin/aa_pap.pl

11/30/69--sunrise 6:39 a.m./sunset 4:33 p.m.
Moon is waning with 63% of disk illuminated

12/1/69--sunrise 6:40 a.m./sunset 4:33 p.m.
Moon is in its last quarter

12/2/69--sunrise 6:41 a.m./sunset 4:32 p.m.
Moon waning crescent with 44% of disk illuminated

So, maybe the murderer partly timed this with the moon? He has moonlight when he needs it (11/29/69), but not much when he doesn't want it (12/2/69).

Would you happen to know what Kathy's hobbies or interests were?

Were there any horse stables near where Kathy lived?

Did Kathy have an interest in horses, went horse riding, or took horse riding lessons anywhere?

The reason I'm asking this is that when Carlene Tengelsen disappeared from a shopping center in Macon, Georgia on June 21, 1972, she had an interest in horses. Carlene drew sketches of horses.

Here is the link of an Macon newspaper article that wrote about Carlene's disappearance in 1972.

http://www.macon.com/2009/08/07/802938/the-miracle-of-loss-a-two-part.html#storylink=cpy

The newspaper article noted that Carlene's car was found parked across from the Krispy Kreme store in the shopping center hours after her disappearance.

The article also mentioned that Carlene wore a bracelet that bore the name of a missing Vietnam POW.

I also noticed that the date in June when Carlene disappeared was the date when the season changed to Summer.

During the early to mid 70's, there also were two teenage girls from New Jersey and one teenage girl from Pennsylvania also went missing at the start of Summer season. All of these girls had an interest in horses.

Turns out he did go after young girls starting in 1966
Interesting timeline for James Michael DeBardeleben

1966 ... Assault , Sodomy , kidnapping of a young girl
1969 (April) ... another kidnapping , makes his wife Faye participate
1969 (August) ...his wife Faye is pregnant and they divorce

Where did these above incidents occurred at?

At this Facebook page, The Nashville I Wish I Knew, people discussed their memories of the Hippodrome roller skating rink.

https://www.facebook.com/thenashvilleiwishiknew/posts/542221469175466

One of the folks posting at that link recalled that the refreshment stand at the Hippodrome sold Krispy Kreme donuts.

Could the Rollerdrome also have sold Krispy Kreme donuts at their refreshment stand?

Another thought occurred to me. Were the Hippodrome and the Rollerdrome skating rinks in Nashville owned by the same owners?

Did these roller skating rinks have their own bus or did they share the same bus?

thank you for looking for photos. i have done the same thing over and over.. just trying to get an idea of what the area looked like back then.

I don't know for sure how it was back then.. but now there is the alley and a road that run along two sides of the lot. The lot, now, is pretty exposed.

But, yes, it is very possible she was snatched on her way into the KK and pulled behind it. His vehicle may have been there.

I think it is possible the vehicle is the crime scene where most of it takes place. He could move around if anyone got interested in the vehicle.

ETA

So, in that case, leaving her in the lot would be returning her as close as possible to where she was taken.
I'm still looking for pictures. When I read the 1969 articles, I even scan the rest of the newspaper image hoping to find a picture from an unrelated story. As you said, a lot of construction was going on at the time, and occasionally I find a picture of a site with an article about plans for a new building or whatever. I just haven't come across the right one yet. :(

At this Facebook page, The Nashville I Wish I Knew, people discussed their memories of the Hippodrome roller skating rink.

One of the folks posting at that link recalled that the refreshment stand at the Hippodrome sold Krispy Kreme donuts.

Could the Rollerdrome also have sold Krispy Kreme donuts at their refreshment stand?

Another thought occurred to me. Were the Hippodrome and the Rollerdrome skating rinks in Nashville owned by the same owners?

Did these roller skating rinks have their own bus or did they share the same bus?
Here's the other FB link I posted. At first, it was unclear to me whether the original poster is talking about the All Weather RD or the Hippodrome, but I believe she meant the Hippodrome. In any case, others say the bus picked up kids from all around the city.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2226556916/permalink/10152297941871917/

Farmer's Almanac Weather

11/29/69--high 46.9 degrees, low 21 degrees, average 33.3 degrees, dewpoint 24.3 degrees
wind 5.9 knots, percipitations 0 inches
http://www.farmersalmanac.com/weather-history/37206/1969/11/29/

11/30/69--high 51.1 degrees, low 24.1 degrees, average 36.7 degrees, dewpoint 24.1 degrees
wind 8.8 knots, percipitation 0 inches
http://www.farmersalmanac.com/weather-history/37206/1969/11/30/

12/1/69--high 53.1 degrees, low 39 degrees, average 46.2 degrees, dewpoint 26.9 degrees
wind 10.9 knots, percipitations 0 inches
http://www.farmersalmanac.com/weather-history/37206/1969/12/01/

12/2/69--high 52 degrees, low 26.1 degrees, average 38.5 degrees, dewpoint 25.7 degrees
wind 6.1 knots, percipitation 0 inches
http://www.farmersalmanac.com/weather-history/37206/1969/12/02/
These match the conditions I've been looking at on Weather Underground. I started with November 30, but you can click backward or forward. Scroll to the bottom to see weather conditions at three hour intervals.

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KBNA/1969/11/30/DailyHistory.html

bessie , December , Backwoods (and everybody) .... just a quick note for now

I am trying my best to eliminate Mike DeBardeleben .... mostly by trying to place him somewhere other than Tennessee in 1969 .... that way it will save me from going on a wild goose chase ...

It will probably take me a while to get through it all , I have listened to 8 of 10 Secret Service video tapes and some interesting things came up .... for example they interviewed his wife Linda whom he married in 1959 and she said he was always going on trips for long periods of time .... yet they were only married for about three weeks .... pretty much like what backwoods said .... some of the "professional" timelines (and names) dont add up.

During the interview with "Linda" she talked like she was the "Wanda" who was married to MD from 1964 to August 1969 because she said MD kidnapped a girl and brought her to their home

I listened carefully again to the SS tape and they called her Linda ... not Wanda .... and I think SS made a mistake and really meant Wanda .

Anyway , I am going to try to construct a timeline that sorts out the discrepancies , it will take some time for me to report back on it .... like I said I am trying my best to eliminate MD but some things keep trying to fit too perfect.
Thank you, Arnie. You can be our site expert on MD. ;) I'm going to open a thread for him in the SK forum later. The information you guys are turning up could be useful in other cases.

Thanks for the link; that's interesting and helpful.

Not discounting Dr. P's opinion, because it seems some coroners, though not M.E.s, have knowledge and experience enough to make very valuable contributions -- but I DO wish, of course, there had been an M.E. on the case (Kathy's, I mean) and an autopsy. I wonder if it being holiday time played any role in those steps not being taken... oh, well.

bessie, it seems like a forensic pathologist could take a look NOW (and maybe one has, in some of the cold case investigation) at the case and at the crime scene photos and make some determinations about things such as possible types of weapons involved, livor mortis, etc.

One thing I've wondered is whether SOME of the extensive "bruising" December has heard about may have in fact been livor mortis, observed by laypersons. I think December mentioned some of it was in an area of Kathy's body that made it seem the bruising was "from the rape" -- and of course that could indeed be -- but maybe bruising and livor kind of blended at places...?

December, what about Kathy's face -- did your dad say whether she appeared to have been struck or beaten in that area?
Certainly a fresh look could reach new answers.

One big difference between Marcia and Kathy (in case someone doesn't know) is Marcia was missing 33 days. Kathy was only missing 36 hours. So, this makes a big difference.

I am going to look up the day time temperatures during the pertinent time period and do a post. I think this is one reason it has to be fairly close is because it was only really cold at night. And she was outside. There are birds and insects in the winter in Tennessee. And other creatures.

Wait, I am mixing up time of death with time at the location where she was found. Now, if we consider she was held somewhere secure from some of the aforementioned things .. yes, her time of death could move a little more.

But, we still have to have time for bruises to form. Besides the bruises mentioned in regard to the rape in the Scene. I mean the ones from the beating since these would be less likely to be affected by liver mortis.
The point is that upon autopsy by the state M.E., the coroner's estimated time of death in the MT case was brought into question. Likewise, in K's case, an autopsy might have shown a different result, as well.
Regardless of the difference in time between missing and located, some of the same questions arise in both cases.

Kathy was missing for roughly 64 hours. According to the coroner's report, she was dead for 24 hours, and COD was suffocation, which would happen quickly. From that conclusion comes the assumption that she was held alive for 38 hours at a different location. So what criteria did the coroner use in his calculations? Not stomach contents, nor internal entymology. Livor mortis wouldn't change after about 6-8 hours, so that's not a good determining factor in this timeline. The color of the livor could be a clue as to location of death because if she died outside in temps below 45 degrees F, the livor would take on a lighter pinkish to red shade, as opposed to blue-purple. Entymology is a question mark because the same insects appear within a 0-3 day range. Here again, an examination of the internal insect progression would have added to the picture.

That leaves body temperature and rigor mortis, both of which are affected by atmospheric conditions. The fact that K's body was still in a state of rigor (as per your statement that the rigor in her legs had to be broken), might have led to a miscalculation, and in fact she was deceased for longer than 24 hours. One reason I keep going back to this question of time of death is because it could make a difference in identifying the killer. By placing time of death on Monday at noon, anyone with an alibi for that time period is eliminated.

JMO

both of her legs had to be broken to be placed in the coffin.

i know the sexual position you are talking about, but i do not believe that was the position she was in. i've read the scene article many times over the years, so i know it says her leg was 'straight'. but it didn't extend down from her hip in a straight line, it was off somehow.

did you see the bondage photo i posted? flip it around. you see how the one leg is straightish. but it is not straight like it was against something.

he didn't carry her and lay her down in the field. he threw her out of the car as if she was trash. he threw her stuff out as if it was trash and he drove away. none of this was done with any consideration. so, it didn't take much time or effort to manage.

she could not have been lying there so many days because it was only cold at night. during the days, it was in the 40s. also, this is in the middle of a city.

then, there are the bruises that have formed. this takes time.

maybe he did continue to rape and beat her after he killed her, but some of the attack happened while she was alive. in fact, i thought MOST of the attack occurred while she was alive.

i wish he'd just killed her 11/29. but, i honestly do not believe this is what happened. everything is not in these newspaper.

the reason i am responding is because people will become confused about the known facts. there are so few. if i do not say that something conflicts with what is known, then other people may base their theories on wrong information. there are quite a few times where people have decided someone's theory makes sense. and then it is accepted and agreed upon and built upon. but, if there is a conflict with what happened... i just don't know what to do except to write what i know over and over and over.

it's not what i want to believe, it's what i have been told by family members who spoke to the police. and some things are just from having been to that area of nashville and knowing what some of this looks like.

for example, i just read a quote of a quote of someone who now thinks she was mostly raped after she died. this isn't true. she was severely raped while she was alive. this is a huge discrepancy and i don't even know how it happened. the rapist may have continued on afterwards, but she went through a terrible ordeal while still alive.

i know this is not a logical murder. but, murders and murderers are not logical. if we had all of the information, things might make sense.

for a long time, my family did not tell me Kathy had been held captive. i thought it was all over with quickly. i was wrong because it was not. maybe it all took place in a vehicle right beside the lot, but it did not take place on the lot itself.

i have never heard the grass was smushed down. i have gone over in my mind, since the theory emerged in this thread, every way in the world it could take place in the lot.

but, everything has three problems
1. smashed down grass (this would occur whether he used her coat or a tarp or a tent)
2. people seeing (people might not be able to see her, but they would see him... this was not a remote or secluded location), his behavior would look aggressive and weird which would expose him to getting caught more than making a brief trip to the lot to leave her and dump out her stuff
3. noise, although she is gagged and cannot scream, some of the things he would be doing would make noise. even when i lived in nashville (much later), sound carried at night. i've been in that area at night. i think there is a good chance someone would have heard something and gone to investigate. and this doesn't take into account dogs barking.

i am trying to find out the exact search history of the lot. i understand nashville only had a coroner, but with the mild temperatures during the day, i believe this would have left unmistakable signs as she was found lying on the ground. on 11/29 (as an example as i did look it up) the high was 46 degrees. it only got down to 23 degrees at night.

the coat lying in front of her probably orients on the road or alley rather than on Kathy's body. this is how i would take and/or describe a photo anyway.

then there is the bruising. bruises had formed. i don't mean the ones described in the scene. i mean the ones seen when she was examined (there wasn't an autopsy, but there was a physical exam).

i will also try to find out the weather and wind speed, etc. on the day she was found. this might explain some of the lighter items being a little bit scattered.

i always thought he put everything in a sack and just dumped it out.

i do believe you may be right and he went through her purse at the last moment.

you're welcome about the shoes... i think the police officer thought it was an interesting theory (taken while changing into her skates). he has to check the evidence inventory list to be sure they didn't find them somewhere else.

i don't know of anyone other than police and the scene writer who has seen the crime scene photos. if there is a diagram drawn on paper (as there often is) i might ask if i can get/post that.

as far as photos of the area circa 1969, i have searched the interwebs since before i even started posting. i haven't been too lucky. i agree those would be useful. maybe the police took a few, but idk.

quote...you're welcome about the shoes... he has to check the evidence inventory list to be sure they didn't find them somewhere else...end of quote.

Ill wait for his discovery.
Thank you again.

Before bed, I wanted to tell you what I believe. I believe while she was being victimize her body was still living, but her soul, her spirit, her being , that which was she was already gone. What was fear had been replaced with calm and peace and joy as she was traveling with angels through the heavenly clouds on a journey most breathtaking awe inspiring. Can I prove it to you? No, I cannot. But do I believe it? ABSOLUTELY!!

Good Night .

for example, i just read a quote of a quote of someone who now thinks she was mostly raped after she died. this isn't true. she was severely raped while she was alive. this is a huge discrepancy and i don't even know how it happened. the rapist may have continued on afterwards, but she went through a terrible ordeal while still alive.
December, that comment was in regard to a question about a different case. I'm sorry if that wasn't clear.

Would you happen to know what Kathy's hobbies or interests were?

Were there any horse stables near where Kathy lived?

Did Kathy have an interest in horses, went horse riding, or took horse riding lessons anywhere?

The reason I'm asking this is that when Carlene Tengelsen disappeared from a shopping center in Macon, Georgia on June 21, 1972, she had an interest in horses. Carlene drew sketches of horses.

Here is the link of an Macon newspaper article that wrote about Carlene's disappearance in 1972.

http://www.macon.com/2009/08/07/802938/the-miracle-of-loss-a-two-part.html#storylink=cpy

The newspaper article noted that Carlene's car was found parked across from the Krispy Kreme store in the shopping center hours after her disappearance.

The article also mentioned that Carlene wore a bracelet that bore the name of a missing Vietnam POW.

I also noticed that the date in June when Carlene disappeared was the date when the season changed to Summer.

During the early to mid 70's, there also were two teenage girls from New Jersey and one teenage girl from Pennsylvania also went missing at the start of Summer season. All of these girls had an interest in horses.

My grandfather had a horse. This horse, a mare, loved children. She would wait by the gate when she saw a car with children in it coming to visit so she could give them rides. So Kathy would have gotten to ride that horse. Everyone loved that horse (I've been told, this is before my time). My grandfather also taught the kids how to help take care of the mare. She was an unusually sweet horse (even though horses are likable), so Kathy probably adored horses.

There are riding stables in Nashville. It's a fairly popular hobby. How much Kathy was able to indulge it, IDK. But, she would have gotten to at least SEE horses as they were also brought in for horse shows, parades, special events.

The Grassmere property (the zoo, the Dunn house, the Croft house... it is all the same location) has stables. I have no idea if there were any horses in the stables in 1969 when the two Dunn sisters lived on the property. But, I don't think Kathy would know for sure since it was private property then with no reason for the public to go there. If someone told her there were horses in the stables, I think she would believe them. The property was not in disrepair and the trees concealed most of it from the road. Also, it was over 200 acres.

Which brings me to another thing... it is not that unusual to see horse trailers (empty and with horses) in Nashville. A horse trailer would have worked as a crime scene.

quote...you're welcome about the shoes... he has to check the evidence inventory list to be sure they didn't find them somewhere else...end of quote.

Ill wait for his discovery.
Thank you again.

Before bed, I wanted to tell you what I believe. I believe while she was being victimize her body was still living, but her soul, her spirit, her being , that which was she was already gone. What was fear had been replaced with calm and peace and joy as she was traveling with angels through the heavenly clouds on a journey most breathtaking awe inspiring. Can I prove it to you? No, I cannot. But do I believe it? ABSOLUTELY!!

Good Night .

I think something very similar... that when God sees a person will not survive an encounter and when He sees no earthly rescue will ever get there in time, He takes the person to Him. The victim's body suffers and dies, but the soul goes to heaven.

Certainly a fresh look could reach new answers.

The point is that upon autopsy by the state M.E., the coroner's estimated time of death in the MT case was brought into question. Likewise, in K's case, an autopsy might have shown a different result, as well.
Regardless of the difference in time between missing and located, some of the same questions arise in both cases.

Kathy was missing for roughly 64 hours. According to the coroner's report, she was dead for 24 hours, and COD was suffocation, which would happen quickly. From that conclusion comes the assumption that she was held alive for 38 hours at a different location. So what criteria did the coroner use in his calculations? Not stomach contents, nor internal entymology. Livor mortis wouldn't change after about 6-8 hours, so that's not a good determining factor in this timeline. The color of the livor could be a clue as to location of death because if she died outside in temps below 45 degrees F, the livor would take on a lighter pinkish to red shade, as opposed to blue-purple. Entymology is a question mark because the same insects appear within a 0-3 day range. Here again, an examination of the internal insect progression would have added to the picture.

That leaves body temperature and rigor mortis, both of which are affected by atmospheric conditions. The fact that K's body was still in a state of rigor (as per your statement that the rigor in her legs had to be broken), might have led to a miscalculation, and in fact she was deceased for longer than 24 hours. One reason I keep going back to this question of time of death is because it could make a difference in identifying the killer. By placing time of death on Monday at noon, anyone with an alibi for that time period is eliminated.

JMO

I will just have to ask the police about this.

I know what you're talking about, but I do not have the answers.

I think T.O.D. is as early as Saturday night, but I do think it is very possible it was sometime Sunday (depending on what the police say... maybe they checked something I do not know about as in I know nothing about it at all, not just for her).

If she did die earlier than they think, then I think they had to have been keeping her somewhere. Not the crime scene itself, but somewhere else (kind of... it could be within feet) that helped keep things from progressing too rapidly.

This is why I wonder if it was actually later. Maybe she was unconscious for a while, so he does something to be sure which kills her Monday night instead of Monday afternoon.

Of course, during the time period we're talking about maybe they didn't expect T.O.D. to be as tightly calculated (except in some cases where a person was seen alive by 50 people then 20 minutes later, they're dead) as we do now. So, maybe a police officer if he had someone with an alibi for noon but no no alibi for 9 a.m. or 3 p.m. would still arrest that guy (just as an example of what I mean).

There was a KK very near RD, but there wasn't one that close to H.D. I don't know what R.D. had at their refreshment stand. But, Kathy was going to the actual KK store... supposedly. She could have changed her mind at any time and decided to just get something at the refreshment stand.

I have to say my impression is the rinks aren't connected. The H.D. was opened first and it was in a richer part of town.

Nothing anyone has ever said on the many comments I've read about these rinks makes them seem connected until the one poster got some facts confused between them. Which is probably just her memory getting mixed. Most people who post 'fond memories' are talking about H.D. not R.D. and it sounds like they're talking about ten years (or more) earlier. Some people's memories are kind of sharp and reliable, but others... they're pretty vague...

I just do not believe the bus drove all over Davidson County picking up kids, for example. There's no way that happened. So, 'all over town' probably means more than one neighborhood. But, I think the R.D. bus (unless it could be chartered) probably stuck to south Nashville. I don't see it venturing over into west Nashville and poaching in the H.D. skating area. It'd be just too much time on the bus.

Someone posted a page of Nashville Memories for about four decades and people have been discussing it in about ten different places. I've looked at the same ten photos a bunch of times. I think originally, way back when the list was made, they were only talking about H.D., but a few people remembered R.D. So, they tacked it on to H.D.'s entry never thinking we'd try to use it for research even more years later.

These match the conditions I've been looking at on Weather Underground. I started with November 30, but you can click backward or forward. Scroll to the bottom to see weather conditions at three hour intervals.

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KBNA/1969/11/30/DailyHistory.html

I think I searched there earlier in the thread. This time, it wasn't in t-he first few pages of results... which is weird. But, I rmember the page with all of that info on it.

Here's the other FB link I posted. At first, it was unclear to me whether the original poster is talking about the All Weather RD or the Hippodrome, but I believe she meant the Hippodrome. In any case, others say the bus picked up kids from all around the city.

I wouldn't take 'all around the city' too literally unless they mean before 1963. That is when Metro was spawned and Nashville officially became all of Davidson County. But, if it was prior to that, they're talking about a specific part of Nashville, not all of Nashville. Probably, they mean a few neighborhoods that were close together and that's all. Unless it was possible to charter the bus to do a skating party as a one time thing.

Convoluted, I know... but, they probably just mean they could go and so could their friend who lived a mile away. These people aren't being very precise and getting kids from 'all around the city' would not be at all practical.

There was another subdivision not too far (by vehicle) and this is probably where they mean. The kids there probably were not allowed to go unless someone drove them because if they had walked then they would've crossed Nolensville Road. I don't know too many mothers who would be o.k. with that given people in Nashville like to drive fast.

I am trying my best to eliminate Mike DeBardeleben .... mostly by trying to place him somewhere other than Tennessee in 1969 .... that way it will save me from going on a wild goose chase ...

It will probably take me a while to get through it all , I have listened to 8 of 10 Secret Service video tapes and some interesting things came up .... for example they interviewed his wife Linda whom he married in 1959 and she said he was always going on trips for long periods of time .... yet they were only married for about three weeks .... pretty much like what backwoods said .... some of the "professional" timelines (and names) dont add up.

During the interview with "Linda" she talked like she was the "Wanda" who was married to MD from 1964 to August 1969 because she said MD kidnapped a girl and brought her to their home

I listened carefully again to the SS tape and they called her Linda ... not Wanda .... and I think SS made a mistake and really meant Wanda .

Anyway , I am going to try to construct a timeline that sorts out the discrepancies , it will take some time for me to report back on it .... like I said I am trying my best to eliminate MD but some things keep trying to fit too perfect.

bbm: I was about to grill you and say "TAPES? What tapes? And do you have some sort of special access to them...?"

But now I am thinking maybe you mean this series that is on YouTube? First in series of 10 linked below:

James M DeBardeleben 1 of 10 - YouTube

Either way -- THANK YOU! I didn't know about these. Will sure be finding time quickly to watch them!

bbm: Arnie M, I also meant to say: I think one of the reasons things can get so confusing about Mike DeB.'s wives is that there were 5 of them, all told!

Also, I believe in the Michaud book aliases are used for the wives (understandably) to protect their privacy -- some of them were really traumatized by their experiences with him. Maybe they are using aliases in that way in the tapes, too, and maybe they don't always "match" the aliases used elsewhere, or even consistently in the tapes...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie