Found Deceased NC - Dedrick Smith, 26, Winston-Salem, 3 October 2006

Seifsister

Reaction score
By PAUL GARBER | Winston-Salem Journal
Published: May 30, 2011
» 2 Comments | Post a Comment
Dedrick Smith's girlfriend went on a late-night food run, and when she got back home, he was gone.

That was in October 2006, and no one in Smith's family has heard from him since. Now, 4 1/2 years later, his mother and aunt are hoping to renew interest in the case in the hopes that someone — anyone — might have information that will let them know his whereabouts. He wasn't in any trouble, but he was diagnosed as paranoid schizophrenic and could be somewhere and not remember who he is, said his mother, Deborah Smith.

"There is hope," Smith said. "As long as he is missing, there is hope."

They have enlisted the help of Betty Brown, a local missing-persons advocate who volunteers for NAMUS, a public missing-persons database run by the U.S. Department of Justice.

The Smiths got in touch with Brown after a story about her work ran in the Winston-Salem Journal in February.

"I just knew that it would be a godsend for the simple fact that it's a fresh set of eyes, and that's what we need," said Dedrick's aunt, Belinda Smith.

Dedrick Smith, who graduated from Parkland High School in 1998, was 26 when he went missing.

Deborah Smith said she talked to her son on the day he disappeared, Oct. 2, and he said he would come to her house the next day. But he didn't show up. When she got a call from his girlfriend asking where he was, Smith said, she knew something was wrong.

There are few facts known about his disappearance. Deborah Smith said it appears that after his girlfriend left the house on Booker Street in eastern Winston-Salem, Dedrick Smith changed shirts. Then he was gone, as was his 1993 Trans Am.

Deborah Smith said she was surprised that he left without his phone, which he always kept close to his side. And it's unusual that his car has never been found; in most missing-persons cases, the car is found even if the person is not. And Dedrick's car was distinctive, painted in a bright turquoise blue. Smith contacted police and starting putting out flyers about her missing son.

In the early months after his disappearance, she got a few tips from people who thought they might have seen him. One person said he might have been down at the local soup kitchen one day. Another said they saw someone with a similar description — 6-foot-1, 178 pounds — walking shirtless near Peters Creek Parkway.

But neither of those tips led anywhere, and eventually the case went cold.

Smith spoke to police investigators this year, but there was no new information on the case. Police said Dedrick Smith remains registered in the National Criminal Investigation Center's database of missing persons.

Brown has also updated his file on www.namus.gov, which is available free to the public. But her work on the case hasn't ended there.

On Wednesday, Brown and her husband, Joe, explored the thick brush alongside U.S. 52 between the Forsyth County line and Hickory Tree Road, a road that Dedrick Smith was known to travel frequently.

"Find the car, and you'll probably find him," she said.

Brown said it's possible that he went off the road in a remote, brush-covered area.

In the tangle of weeds and brush, the Browns found several snakes, some bones — not human, as it turned out — and some automobile parts, but nothing matching his car.

The Browns haven't given up, though. They plan to gather a small search party and make another search of the woods along U.S. 52 south of Hickory Tree Road in June. Deborah and Belinda Smith are planning to join them.

The Smiths aren't giving up, either. Many of the families of long-lost people acknowledge that their loved ones are probably dead and they want them found for the sake of closure.

But the Smiths don't think that's true in Dedrick Smith's case. He was doing well as a student at Forsyth Technical Community College. Because of his schizophrenia, they worry that he is in a mental-health setting or somewhere else and doesn't know who he is, said Deborah Smith.

Smith said the only way she's been able to get through the past four years without her son is through her faith and the support of friends and family. "There are no words to describe it when your child is missing," she said. "Your world is turned upside down. Your heart is broken into a million pieces."

http://www2.journalnow.com/news/2011/may/30/wsmain01-holding-on-to-hope-ar-1076484/

http://blackandmissing.org/2012/04/missing-winston-salem-man-dedrick-smith-on-billboard/
Missing Winston-Salem Man (Dedrick Smith) On Billboard
Long after stories of the missing stop making headlines, the families are left to search and try to maintain hope. A renewed search for a Winston-Salem man, Dedrick Smith, who disappeared in 2006, is giving his family a fresh outlook – that perhaps he may be found.

Dedrick was 6’1″ and 178 pounds when he was reported missing.

His mom, Debra Smith, says Dedrick called her at 2 a.m. on October 2nd, 2006 and explained he wouldn’t be home that night. He was with his girlfriend, according to his mother.

smith_dedrick.jpg
smith_dedrick1.jpg

http://www.nampn.org/cases/smith_dedrick.html
Dedrick Bernard Smith
Dedrick disappeared on October 3, 2006. Dedrick was seen at his girlfriend's house and went missing when she left to go get some food to bring home. Dedrick takes medicine for schizophrenia; without daily medication he is subject to violent mood changes. If spotted the public is asked not to approach him and to call local law officals immediately. He was driving a Turquoise 1993 Pontiac Grand Am with NC tag number NYB3645. The vehicle has never been located. Dedrick had several changes of clothes in his car.

If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Winston Salem Police Department
(336) 773-7700
or
CUE Center for Missing Persons
(910) 343-1131

I'm looking for help on this one.

The lad phoned home from girlfriend's house to say goodnight to his mother at 2am. I don't know this family's routine, but I would think a goodnight call at 2am was bizarre, especially when he was due home at 10am to leave for college.

Girlfriend changed her story last time SL was interviewed. Dedrick was at her house, there is no challenge to this from original media.
I don't have a link so I propose this as a suggestion only - SL and a girlfriend were playing video games and Dedrick kept calling her. When she finally went home about 2:00am, he was gone....

Here we go mention of 2am again - what's going on? Coincidence, I don't think so.

Dedrick's phone was retrieved by LE sometime later. He had left it at SL's home when he and his car disappeared. She continued to use it for her own personal use.

This lad attended college part-time (auto mechanic course). Did he work in the automotive business to finance this schooling? What contacts did he have to the industry?

Where I am in the world, 'rebirthing' of cars is a well-known insurance fraud in the panel-beating business.

I am not suggesting that this is the motive for Dedrick's disappearance. I suggest that is possibly a cover-up for something more sinister.

Can we get a conversation going please fellow sleuthers.

Dedrick would stay at his girlfriends house about once a month. It was not uncommon for him to call his mom and granny to tell them. LE never retrieved his phone from the girlfriends house. The mother did when she found out it was their after one month.I had it sent off for the records. Dedrick got a school loan that his mom paid for his schooling. Dedrick did not work in the auto mechanic field at that time. You can ask me any question you want I know the ends and outs on Dedricks case.

I'm looking for help on this one.

The lad phoned home from girlfriend's house to say goodnight to his mother at 2am. I don't know this family's routine, but I would think a goodnight call at 2am was bizarre, especially when he was due home at 10am to leave for college.

Girlfriend changed her story last time SL was interviewed. Dedrick was at her house, there is no challenge to this from original media.
I don't have a link so I propose this as a suggestion only - SL and a girlfriend were playing video games and Dedrick kept calling her. When she finally went home about 2:00am, he was gone....

Here we go mention of 2am again - what's going on? Coincidence, I don't think so.

Dedrick's phone was retrieved by LE sometime later. He had left it at SL's home when he and his car disappeared. She continued to use it for her own personal use.

This lad attended college part-time (auto mechanic course). Did he work in the automotive business to finance this schooling? What contacts did he have to the industry?

Where I am in the world, 'rebirthing' of cars is a well-known insurance fraud in the panel-beating business.

I am not suggesting that this is the motive for Dedrick's disappearance. I suggest that is possibly a cover-up for something more sinister.

Can we get a conversation going please fellow sleuthers.

Bumpity bump

Ok. For starters, who is SL? I've just finished a 12 hour shift so am exhausted but don't think I have seen an SL mentioned in the thread anywhere? Anyway, this is so so sad. Dedrick has been missing a very very long time and no leads at all makes it even worse. I can't help but wonder if he could have possibly stopped taking his med's and this could have lead to his disappearance? Just throwing some possibilities around. I am sus of the girlfriends story changing though. Very weird with the mentioning of 2am in two difference scenario's? So he was last seen at his girlfriends house by who? The girlfriend? Or someone else seen him there? Are they only able to go off what she has told them or was there another person around? Does her story of going out to get food check out? There is not much to go on at all here ......

The problem here is that the first questions that have to be asked involve the girlfriend, and it is not appropriate, especially on this site, to mention her name nor any other identifying information.

She was supposedly his 'girlfriend', but that word has many meanings.

The car obviously is important. Few people would go to the trouble of getting a trans am just to ditch it, but did someone else pick the car, or did he?

I didn't see the car's VIN# anywhere on the NamUs website. Maybe by doing occasional web searches with that VIN# the car will turn-up somewhere, maybe on an auto auction site or a used car site? If the car was abandoned on private property somewhere, the property owner may have kept the car somewhere without reporting it abandoned. At some point if the car does go back into circulation somewhere, and hasn't been crushed, the VIN# could always pop up on the web without it being run through a local MVD where it would come back as involved in a disappearance. Has the mother reported the car stolen? That sometimes works.
If the car cannot be located, mug shot sites are probably the mother's best bet. She can also have a detective run his pair of distinctive tattoos together through the national crime database to see if he's back on the grid for shoplifting or trespassing. People with schizophrenia, schizotypal, or schizoaffective disorder tend to be solitary, and if homeless can travel remarkable distances undetected. They manage to survive through shelters, panhandling, and sometimes theft, but because of the transient nature of their lifestyle they often do get arrested somewhere for trespassing or vagrancy. If he has been in the system since his disappearance, it is possible the tattoos were photographed or recorded somewhere and the information is sitting in the database.

You make a good point about the girlfriend. There is not any information about how she was cleared in the case. If she did indeed change her story, does the change reflect deception and self-preservation? Was she given a polygraph by an examiner? Has she maintained a relationship with the mother, did she help search the woods, did she do everything she could to be helpful and cooperative?
Dedrick sounds like he could have been an easy target. He was relatively skinny for being 6'1", he was known to have psychological impairment, but he had a decent car for that part of the country during 2006. Maybe someone wanted his car, but also wanted him gone? If the girlfriend was involved, did she have any motivations to get rid of Dedrick? Sometimes relationships are difficult with people who have mental disorders.
If the girlfriend was making a food run in the middle of the night around 2 a.m., which is very odd, was it because they were potheads? If Dedrick was smoking pot, because of his schizophrenia he was at serious risk for a negative interaction. Weed could have sent him into a paranoid state that destabilized his medication, and any hallucinations could have created a prolonged episode of panic and paranoia that sent him driving off into the night. He could have thought the girlfriend was out to get him, or people were trying to hurt him, and he could have left in this state. Why did the girlfriend go alone to get food and not take Dedrick? It seems somewhat convenient and like an innocent excuse, but it makes little sense after 2 a.m. Did the police do a timeline and verify her travel time, as well as what she bought? Something bothers me about the lack of information on exactly how she turned out to be away from her home after 2 a.m., alone, just long enough for Dedrick to vanish, and whether that story has adequately been examined.
Has anyone figured out how much actual cash he had access to? How much gas could he have bought and how far could he have gotten on his resources at the time? You could calculate mileage and draw a circle, then use vectors along major highways for areas to search for his car. Local police departments on those vectors could check their logs from around the time of his disappearance, after he had time to travel, to see if any potentially related calls may have come in. You would have to assume he drove straight until he ran out of gas. Did anyone steal gas along one of those routes?

Ok. For starters, who is SL?
Those are the girlfriend's initials, so maybe the earlier post was a typo. There is someone with a twitter account of the same name with a lot of religious posts and has a picture of a lion in one of his posts. Looks similar. Has dapper in the twitter handle.

Those are the girlfriend's initials, so maybe the earlier post was a typo. There is someone with a twitter account of the same name with a lot of religious posts and has a picture of a lion in one of his posts. Looks similar. Has dapper in the twitter handle.

Thank you.

What do you know about the girlfriend? Whats her back story? Her story sounds fishy to me.

IS there any body of water around this area? Lake, pond? What food place was open at 2 am in this town in 2006? Did anyone check video for the GF alibi? How do we know he changed shirts? Why is this important? Cars are not always found in water... It seems convenient to me that he would call his mom and tell her he's not coming home at the same time his GF goes to get food? Whose car was taken to go get food?

Strange case. If he has schitzophrenia though, many different things could have happened :(

I have attempted to compile some info from MSM, but it is proving tough to dig up info from before 2011, its like there was never any coverage.

Missing Since: October 03, 2006
Age at Time of Disappearance: 26 years
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 178 lbs
Eyes: Brown
Hair: Black
Tattoos: Tattoo of the face of Jesus on his right shoulder; Tattoo of the face of a lion on his left shoulder.
Last Seen Wearing: Shirt and jeans. Note: Dedrick had several changes of clothes in his car.
Footwear: Purple, yellow, red and white Air Jordan sneakers
Jewelry: Gold chain necklace with a medalion pendant
Transportation: 1993 turquoise Pontiac Grand Am, NC license plate NYB3645. Note: vehicle has never been located.
1377326_224864107675194_691535122_n.jpg

MSM

Family keeps hope alive in search for missing man
AP News (opening post of this thread) Saturday, June 25, 2011
http://www.telegram.com/article/20110625/APN/306259954

Missing Winston-Salem Man On Billboard
WFMY Apr 23, 2012
http://archive.digtriad.com/news/article/226229/1/Missing-Winston-Salem-Man-On-Billboard
His mom, Debra Smith, says Dedrick called her at 2 a.m. on October 2nd, 2006 and explained he wouldn't be home that night. He was with his girlfriend, according to his mother.

Winston-Salem Mother Still Searching For Missing Son, Dedrick Smith
WFMY May 7, 2013
http://archive.digtriad.com/news/article/283746/57/W-S-Mother-7-Years-Later-Im-Keeping-Hope-Alive

Winston-Salem mom hopes for missing son’s return
Fox8 MAY 7, 2013
http://myfox8.com/2013/05/07/winston-salem-mom-hopes-for-missing-sons-return/
Over the night, he had called and said, ‘Mama, I love you and I won’t be home. See you in the morning.’ He was with his girlfriend. The next morning, she calls me and asked me where is he? I said what do you mean where is he, he was with you! Immediately I panicked,” she explained.

Dedrick Smith Missing: $10,000 Cash Reward Offered
WFMY Nov 9, 2013
http://archive.digtriad.com/news/article/305108/57/10000-Reward-Offered-For-Missing-Man
His mother said he was with his girlfriend when he called her at 2 a.m. to tell her he wasn't coming home the night they last spoke.

Foundation pages:
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/smith_dedrick.html

http://projectjason.org/forums/topic/944-missing-man-dedrick-bernard-smith-nc-10032006/

http://www.ncmissingpersons.org/tag/dedrick-smith/
Smith was last seen on October 3, 2006. He left his family’s Winston-Salem, North Carolina home...

http://www.kristenfoundation.org/cgi-bin/datacgi/database.cgi?file=hw&report=sp&ID=115
"That evening he called me at work. He told me he was OK. I said, 'I'll see you when I get home,'" Deborah Smith said. "Like I say, he called that night to say goodnight and the following morning he didn't come home."

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd
Back