GUILTY UT - Michele MacNeill, 50, found dead in bathtub, Pleasant Grove, 11 April 2007 - #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continue discussion here...

Please remember the following are not allowed: :tos:
*name calling
*name variations
*derogatory comments about players in the case
*posting information after sleuthing family members

Please read the rules for posting above before partaking in this virtual snack...Enjoy!!

good_morning_coffeeSUN.gif
link
a51106bf6b668ec69c16f1f9db31700a.jpg
link
bigstockphoto_Fruit_Display_1493126_thumb.jpg
link

Note: The photo in the center are cookies btw...

What time is trial supposed to start today?

Yesterday someone posted a "tweet" that Giselle Macneill would be a guest on HLN After Dark...I taped it, but fell asleep about 20 minutes into it. Did anyone see this? Nothing I saw even mentioned it. TIA ~

Yesterday someone posted a "tweet" that Giselle Macneill would be a quest on HLN After Dark...I taped it, but fell asleep about 20 minutes into it. Did anyone see this? Nothing I saw even mentioned it. TIA ~

I wanted to catch it as well, I have been sick in bed for the past two days and fell asleep on it. Maybe it will be on YouTube later?

Carrying this over from prior thread:

Question for minor4th or any other atty types... Do defense lawyers have carte blanche in saying any kind of nonsense they want to make up in their statements, or is there supposed to be some good faith that they plan to prove what they contend in opening or that there was some testimony to back up what they say in closing?

The reason I ask is that I went back this morning to listen to the early part of the trial that I had missed. In her opening, Gustin says that MM had a painful toe condition called (whatever) and that he had three surgeries on it. Clearly the defense isn't calling anyone to back that up, and Martin is not taking the stand to claim it. Maybe they had his doctor or surgeon on their witness list or maybe not. If they had absolutely zero about it during the trial, can she allude to that again in closing?

She also made a couple of factual errors, not that they are critical. She was giving the jury a list of equivalent drug names, but in some cases they are not equivalent, as one has acetaminophen include and the other does not. It's especially ironic she would do that considering Spencer tried to make a big deal yesterday over inmate #1 mixing up oxycodone and oxycontin since they at least have the same active ingredient, whereas two of the ones she said were the same do not.

Lastly, she said that the inmates received favors for testifying. She could have said something like, "You'll have to ask yourself whether they are testifying because they received favors," but she said it as an absolute that it had happened. There has been absolutely nothing offered by the defense to back that up - we've just heard that the inmates HOPED they'd get favors but didn't.

I think the others have answered your questions pretty well, but generally speaking in opening statements, you are not supposed to just throw out purported facts that you have no intention of supporting by any evidence (like Baez when he said Casey was molested by her father).

But as a practical matter, there's no way to know in advance what the evidence is going to show so there's no way to really limit in advance what is said in opening remarks.

I don't think this defense attorney's remarks went so far out of bounds that she would be penalized for it, but I suppose a lawyer could be sanctioned or disciplined if they did something really egregious (like Baez).

Unscrupulous corporations have projections and worst case analysis done before they announce, say, the firing of 6,500 older employees and rehire them the same day as independent contractors. IMO they believe that their actions will increase the bottom line which means their stock options, bonuses and golden parachutes are all enhanced.

I wonder if some attorneys don't 'risk' having the judge tell the jury to disregard what the attorney just said because he/she believes speaking those words aloud will remain in the jurors minds regardless. Another words the value of planting the thought outweighs the admonishment.

Just curious.

Yesterday someone posted a "tweet" that Giselle Macneill would be a quest on HLN After Dark...I taped it, but fell asleep about 20 minutes into it. Did anyone see this? Nothing I saw even mentioned it. TIA ~

I posted that tweet yesterday. Here it is:

HLN After Dark ‏@HLNAfterDark 6 Nov
BIG show planned for #HumpDay! #MartinMacNeill's daughter Giselle is here to open up about her dad & her mother's mysterious death. 10pET

I was going to ask if anyone watched it. Guess they lied :liar: huh? :waitasec:

I don't have twitter, or I'd tweet them and ask what happened.

8:30 Utah time
10:30 est

Excuse my blondness, but what time is this Central Standard Time? I am the worst with time zones and my iPhone wont let me update my world clock for some reason !

Unscrupulous corporations have projections and worst case analysis done before they announce, say, the firing of 6,500 older employees and rehire them the same day as independent contractors. IMO they believe that their actions will increase the bottom line which means their stock options, bonuses and golden parachutes are all enhanced.

I wonder if some attorneys don't 'risk' having the judge tell the jury to disregard what the attorney just said because he/she believes speaking those words aloud will remain in the jurors minds regardless. Another words the value of planting the thought outweighs the admonishment.

Just curious.

Yes, that happens all the time.

I wanted to catch it as well, I have been sick in bed for the past two days and fell asleep on it. Maybe it will be on YouTube later?

I have it taped. I watched the first 20 minutes and saw nothing about Giselle mentioned. I just wonder if in fact Giselle was really on the show?? I'll go watch the rest and let you all know. I have always wondered what happened to that poor child.

Excuse my blondness, but what time is this Central Standard Time? I am the worst with time zones and my iPhone wont let me update my world clock for some reason !

9:30 ...I think ??

9:30 am-in about 20 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members